Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2020 5:45:55 PM EDT
Well I decided to up grade my smith e series 1911 by adding a drop in magwell.

Disassemble gun-check

Remove original mainspring housing-check

“Drop in” new magwell - $&@&;/.;(
Drop in my rear end. Needs fitting. Oh well I will go to the smith.

Reassemble gun and boingggg launch recoil plug in to the black hole of my work room. Can’t find that thing after removing everything from where I heard it land.

Now waiting on replacement plug. I need to remember they call it a spring for a reason and not do anything after being at the veterinarian for 4 hours with a sick dog.

Magwell is by Ed brown btw. I have one for a sig c3 that needs installing. Looks like I will get both guns done at the same time.

And to top it off, they are protesting about a mile from my house. Ar’s are loaded and ready for anything.

I need a beer.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 11:41:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Whenever I work on anything mechanical, I estimate how long it'll take and then multiply it by 1.5 or 2. Nothing ever goes to plan, it's just the reality of it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 3:20:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Tough way to start off the week OP. Hope your pup is OK.

Only "drop-in" magwells I've used are Smith and Alexander and they in fact did drop in to a Colt and a Springfield.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 5:22:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Pup is ok after 900 bucks in tests trying to figure out his breathing problems. Possible deep sinus infection. Found out for a 10 year old dog, he is healthy as a horse.

On the gun front. I swapped in a plug from another gun(checking on size, turns out smith and kimber use the same source for the full length rod) and took the gun to the smith.

He looked the gun over said no problem on the mag. I say “oh btw do you have a plug on hand like the one in the gun?”

You guessed it, the smith launched the plug and has to look for it. We were both laughing.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 5:24:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Whenever I work on anything mechanical, I estimate how long it'll take and then multiply it by 1.5 or 2. Nothing ever goes to plan, it's just the reality of it.
View Quote

Same.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 11:26:54 AM EDT
[#5]
That is why you have that large cardboard box with the opening, laying on its side, so you can work inside of it to do your disassembly in. It will stop 99+% of launched and catch dropped parts. No more brooms or magnets needed to "find" escaped parts.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 2:17:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That is why you have that large cardboard box with the opening, laying on its side, so you can work inside of it to do your disassembly in. It will stop 99+% of launched and catch dropped parts. No more brooms or magnets needed to "find" escaped parts.
View Quote

Very good idea! I’ve launched parts more often than I care to remember.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 2:34:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Large zip lock bags work well when taking apart my commander.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 4:17:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't forget to factor in the bleeding.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 7:53:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I should have read further.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 10:55:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Don't forget to factor in the bleeding.
View Quote
Replacing widebands on a German motor is an exercise in punishment
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:49:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here.  And pretty much the reason that I never wanted to learn to fly an airplane.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top