Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2021 11:03:11 PM EDT
What's everyone's thoughts on the big dot sights. Trying to get something for my Shield Plus that's kind of like the big front sight on the Hellcat which make picking up the front sight really fast and keeps your eye locked on it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 2:43:08 AM EDT
[#1]
The only sights I use now days.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 2:49:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I've been a fan of Ashley Express (original name) for some 20 years now.

Never owned a set but might get some at some point.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 4:03:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 8:43:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Liked the big dot. Hated the lollipop sight picture.

Post above with the goalpost and big dot looks good.

I suggest trijicon HD. Those sights scream at me and seem to balance speed with precision well for what a duty pistol needs.

Note, the last set of HDs I got shoot 8” high at 25yds. I still need to put it on clean paper and send them in to trijicon. They said they’ll give me one free swap out for a different height front. Never had pistol sights not shoot to POA, except some windage tweaking from install.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 9:31:57 AM EDT
[#5]
They're no faster up close and very hard to shoot accurately at distance.

Waste of my money. I even tried them again a few years after the first time.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 10:41:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Wife likes them on my g30, but I would rather use some Ameriglo or Trijicon with a black/tritium rear & hi-vis front sight.   Front sight is too big for anything outside of up close I think.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 6:51:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Ended up ordering the XS F8 set, big dot up front and a notched rear with a single dot in the center like the Henie Straight 8 sights on my 1911.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 2:32:39 PM EDT
[#8]
If you have eyesight problems and have trouble picking up the front sight their big dot front will help with that.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 4:51:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you have eyesight problems and have trouble picking up the front sight their big dot front will help with that.
View Quote

I agree. I'm really liking the F8 set-up and plan on getting a set for the new M&P I picked up.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 6:03:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was smart enough to only try once, but otherwise my experience is the same.  The tru-glo tritium/fiber optic hybrid sights are much, much better for me.  I was unable to shoot anything resembling a group past 10 yards with the XS sights.  

FWIW, I have the front fiber optic a different color than the rear.  For me, that is faster than all three the same.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 8:04:55 PM EDT
[#11]
For their purpose, I think the Ashley big dots are wonderful.

Of course, the devil is in the details. Their purpose is to give you an easily acquired sight picture that you can refine 'a little' if you have the opportunity. They are not general purpose sights, and they are not match sights. They are for fast social distance engagements.

My new favorite sights are the Sig X-Ray 3. Slightly dim rears and a large, bold green front work nicely for quick front sight acquisition. They win over big-dots for general purpose use by allowing a conventional sight picture for slower, more accurate work. I see they come in square and U rear slot versions, but I have not had any hands-on time with the curved version.

The F8 you chose was one of the options I was looking at to replace a broken big-dot on an M&Pc. It might have been what I went for if they hadn't sent me a replacement.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 8:11:17 PM EDT
[#12]
If I had to use irons I would use dawson precision fiber front and black rear.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 8:30:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They are not general purpose sights, and they are not match sights. They are for fast social distance engagements.
View Quote

That is not all they are for.

At 51 years my eyesight has been shit for several years. I could no longer bring the front sight into focus. I shot the blur for a while and then tried the XS Big Dot. I did not care for their rear so I paired it with an Ameriglo U-Notch Pro Dot I think it is called. It has a single tritium dot at 6 o'clock.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 10:00:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The only sights I use now days.
View Quote

This, they are good to go. I love my DXT2 on my G19.5
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 12:55:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I was smart enough to only try once, but otherwise my experience is the same.  The tru-glo tritium/fiber optic hybrid sights are much, much better for me.  I was unable to shoot anything resembling a group past 10 yards with the XS sights.  

FWIW, I have the front fiber optic a different color than the rear.  For me, that is faster than all three the same.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the same thing I did as well.  I'm middle aged now but can still see my front sights; I'll go red dot before I bother with XS pistol sights.  I do like their Marlin rail/sight system though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top