Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2019 1:17:12 PM EDT
Have a XDM 5.25 10mm in bound. Looking at improving the trigger. Has anybody tried the PRP kit? More than anything I’d like to get rid of takeup and over travel. Yes, 3.5 lb would be nice.

Is this easy enough for a common dude like me (I’m not Mr. rebuild your engine, over here). Yes, I’d buy their tools too.
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 9:40:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I have two of their trigger kits on my XDMs. I have the drop in on my 3.8 Compact and the Extreme on my 5.25. they also have one called a match which is in between.

I'd say the PRP triggers are about as good as you could ever hope for in a striker fired pistol. The design of the striker fired  pistol will never allow for a 1911 quality trigger job but the PRP is as good as it will get. I have zero regrets getting mine. Depending on what you do with it would alter which Id recommend going with. Carry/Woods gun? I'd get the drop in with the pre fit trigger. Some plinking and just wanting a nicer trigger? Get the match. Shooting competition? Get the Extreme if and only if you're an experienced shooter, which I assume you are.

You can do it yourself...they have videos and it's very straight forward. I had no problems doing even the Extreme which has more components to swap out than the others.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 10:34:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'd say the PRP triggers are about as good as you could ever hope for in a striker fired pistol. The design of the striker fired  pistol will never allow for a 1911 quality trigger job but the PRP is as good as it will get. I have zero regrets getting mine. Depending on what you do with it would alter which Id recommend going with. Carry/Woods gun? I'd get the drop in with the pre fit trigger. Some plinking and just wanting a nicer trigger? Get the match. Shooting competition? Get the Extreme if and only if you're an experienced shooter, which I assume you are.
View Quote
Thanks for the info. I am an experienced shooter, but this is something I’ll take to the woods for SD as well as for target shooting - so it has to be 100% reliable.

What improvements can I expect with the drop in (I’m really hoping to cut out the long pre-travel)?

Will I get 100% ignition with the reduced power striker spring?
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 3:12:39 PM EDT
[#3]
It will greatly reduce pre travel, but won't eliminate it. Over travel is also reduced.

I've fired probably 8k or so rounds between the two triggers, and Ive not had a light strike yet. I use Federal primers on the extreme kit and use S&B and CCI on the drop in and haven't had issues. I have no idea where S&B primers fall in the hardness spectrum but CCIs are pretty hard and the drop in trigger hasn't had issues igniting them. To be honest I don't know which spring set I used on the drop in trigger, but if I were to install it on a woods gun I’d probably go with the heavier springs at the expense of slightly heavier trigger pull.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 9:15:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I did my 3.8.  Right at 3.5lbs, zero over travel on mine.  Reset is scary short.  Doubletaps are super quick.
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 9:15:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I've put 3 in my XDM's including my daughters. No regrets at all. I used the standard replacement. I can't imaging how the match or anything any lighter would be like. I personally would not want any lighter of a trigger for a carry gun.

I watched the videos on the website and went slowly with the install.

I believe it was well worth it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2019 7:04:43 AM EDT
[#6]
And, if you do have any issues/questions you can e-mail them and they will quickly respond and take care of you.

I put one of their trigger kits in my XD .45 5" Tactical.  One of the sort of rare models with the thumb safeties.

Went like this:

I looked at the web site.  All but one kit description stated they were not for the models with thumb safeties.  I bought that one kit that did not have that disclaimer.

Got it, started the install, didn't have some of the same parts and some of the others wouldn't fit.

I e-mailed them and the responded that NONE of their trigger kits were for the model I have.  I pointed out that the kit I bought did not include that info.  They quickly apologized and offered me a refund and told me they were sorry, somehow they'd missed putting that in the trigger kit description.  They changed it the next day.

I told them I'd already used some of the parts and done some polishing on them for the install.  They repeated that they would refund my money.  I figured they hadn't read my e-mail completely and again told them I'd used some of the parts and the pistol worked fine and I was happy with it.

They replied that they understood I was not sending the parts back and they refunded my money anyway.

A week or so later I ordered another PRP kit for a second XD and installed it.  Improved the trigger on that one, too.

If I ever feel the need to slick up my two XDMs I will order from PRP again.  Great people to do with business with.
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 8:45:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got two , one in my XD45 Service and XDm9, fantastic and worth the cost. I've also had them mill another of my XDm's for an RMR. They had that back to me in a week. Great company to deal with.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 12:29:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Got it - It was cake to install. Made a huge difference. Most accurate 10mm I’ve ever shot.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 4:33:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I had one in my XDM 5.25 while I had it. It’s been awhile, but from what I recall it was superb. Very light, very smooth, like a longer 1911 trigger. Completely took trigger press out of the equation for me. It was definitely worth the cost of admission.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 5:21:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Got it - It was cake to install. Made a huge difference. Most accurate 10mm I’ve ever shot.
View Quote
Which kit did you go with?
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 12:05:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I have one in my XDM 4.5" .45, and have probably 1k rounds through it with zero issues.  I started out with one of the drop in versions, and after making this a 100% range gun, moved to the PRP Extreme kit.  I will say that it's probably the lightest striker fired trigger I have ever tried, but this gun's accuracy with my soft loads and thin Dawson sights is unreal.  It's rated to be around a 2.5lb trigger pull, and I'd be willing to bet it might be less.  The installation isn't that hard with Daniel's videos, and the results are well worth it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 9:13:59 AM EDT
[#12]
I installed a drop in on my sub compact 9 mm. I wasn’t thinking and reassembled it without checking the trigger travel, now it can’t disassemble the thing.
 I found an emory board and went to work on the little nub on the back of the trigger. After about 45 minutes of going slow and checking I finally got it working properly. Live and learn.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 10:28:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Just got a Match trigger for my 10mm XDM. I had to fit it but it actually has less overtravel than my Extreme Kit, probably due to that one being pre fit. It is noticeably heavier than my Extreme, but just slightly lighter than the base model drop in trigger they offer that's in my 3.8 Compact.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 9:27:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I installed a drop in on my sub compact 9 mm. I wasn’t thinking and reassembled it without checking the trigger travel, now it can’t disassemble the thing.
 I found an emory board and went to work on the little nub on the back of the trigger. After about 45 minutes of going slow and checking I finally got it working properly. Live and learn.
View Quote
This is the absolute best way to get the overtravel PERFECT!  Electric tape on one side of the emory board so it will slide in the trigger guard and lightly squeeze the trigger against the emory while you work it.  Keep trying it.  When it goes CLICK just a bit more and perfection.  After dissassembling, sanding, assembling and trying a few times it wasn't hard to figure out a better way!!
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 5:07:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This is the absolute best way to get the overtravel PERFECT!  Electric tape on one side of the emory board so it will slide in the trigger guard and lightly squeeze the trigger against the emory while you work it.  Keep trying it.  When it goes CLICK just a bit more and perfection.  After dissassembling, sanding, assembling and trying a few times it wasn't hard to figure out a better way!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Exactly how I did both mine as opposed to disassemble/reassemble constantly.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 8:58:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I took mine out.  Only takes a sec to pop the trigger/bar out.  I had to take it out like nine times, but I know 100% it's perfectly perpendicular.  I never sand crap down even, no matter how hard I try. I pulled the trigger out and used a drill press as a mill with a very fine sanding disc.  Took me about an hour.  Granted I've done three of them now so I'm getting pretty quick all things considered.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top