Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2021 11:51:37 AM EDT
Best mm in xdm elite 3.8

Well now, this is probably going to be pretty darn neat.

REVIEW: SPRINGFIELD ARMORY XD-M ELITE 3.8? COMPACT OSP 10MM

Not a lot to the review but it looks promising.

Springfield has it up
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 12:11:38 PM EDT
[#1]
It serves no purpose.

If you go 10mm, I want it in a Hellcat for carry, or I want it in a full size for maximum power.

This middle of the road stuff is pointless, unless you like carrying a brick for CC, which, some people can no issue.

I carried an XDM 9mm for a few years before I started switching things up.  It worked, but I much prefer the slimmer, high capacity 9s.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 11:38:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It serves no purpose.

If you go 10mm, I want it in a Hellcat for carry, or I want it in a full size for maximum power.

This middle of the road stuff is pointless, unless you like carrying a brick for CC, which, some people can no issue.

I carried an XDM 9mm for a few years before I started switching things up.  It worked, but I much prefer the slimmer, high capacity 9s.
View Quote

Hellcat would be way too light for me in 10mm (more recoil than .40 in a 18 oz gun, no thank you...). This XDM Elite is perfect for grizzly/moose country.

I like the 9mm XDM-E-Compact, but I could see a Hellcat in my future for the warmer months.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 11:52:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Hellcat would be way too light for me in 10mm (more recoil than .40 in a 18 oz gun, no thank you...). This XDM Elite is perfect for grizzly/moose country.

I like the 9mm XDM-E-Compact, but I could see a Hellcat in my future for the warmer months.
View Quote

Fair enough. I should say it serves no purpose for me. It's a luke warm "middle ground" gun in terms of size, and I'd either prefer a truly compact pistol, or a full size one.

It's certainly a matter of personal preference, to your point.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 6:15:07 AM EDT
[#4]
When is the release/availability date?
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 9:55:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It serves no purpose.

Is this 3.8" 10mm XDM-E more compact than the 3.8" Glock 29? ... Anyone know?

Capacity appears the same (10+1). Just curious.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 10:04:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Is this 3.8" 10mm XDM-E more compact than the 3.8" Glock 29? ... Anyone know?

Capacity appears the same (10+1). Just curious.
View Quote

The Glock is nearly 0.2" thicker and almost a quarter inch longer.

The XDM-E is about 0.05" taller.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 11:36:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The Glock is nearly 0.2" thicker and almost a quarter inch longer.

The XDM-E is about 0.05" taller.
View Quote

That must be 'muh bore axis' that everyone talks about when trashing the XD series.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 1:42:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That must be 'muh bore axis' that everyone talks about when trashing the XD series.
View Quote

Heh, must be it.

If anyone complains about the bore axis, they need to shoot more.

It's a non-issue in my book. People will always find something to complain about I suppose.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 1:48:34 PM EDT
[#9]
What are 10mm ballistics out of a 3.8”?
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 2:11:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What are 10mm ballistics out of a 3.8”?
View Quote

Probably about 67 feet per second slower than a 4.5 inch barrel (G20) with Buffalo Bore 220 grain.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 4:35:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Probably about 67 feet per second slower than a 4.5 inch barrel (G20) with Buffalo Bore 220 grain.
View Quote

http://ballisticsbytheinch.com/10mm.html
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 7:16:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, it would be more like 100fps slower than from the 4.6" G20.

But that's not necessarily a deal breaker. It would depend on the specific choice of ammo.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:54:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Quoted:

View Quote

Quoted:

Yeah, it would be more like 100fps slower than from the 4.6" G20.

But that's not necessarily a deal breaker. It would depend on the specific choice of ammo.
View Quote

You are all correct, depending on ammo.

Some powders obviously behave differently and can have different gains/losses by the inch, even within a specific caliber.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 8:11:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Checked out several YouTube reviews on the 10mm XDM compact, many uploaded just within the last week.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FF7HOs4RdaI&t=10s
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 12:16:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Picked up mine yesterday and today took it to the range.  Except for the sights being off to the left everything was great.  I carry an XDM elite compact 9mm daily and this was very familiar and functional.  I was a little cocerned about the recoil, but no issues with the gun shooting true ecept for the sight alignment.  In comparison, my 1911 lightweight 45 has about the same perceived recoil using defense loads.  

All in all I am very pleased and when I use my sight pusher to correct the POI it will be great.

Thanks Springfield!
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 5:07:00 PM EDT
[#16]
I pick mine up tomorrow.

I will do chrono tests for us, comparing it to full size Witness, and Delta.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 7:20:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Failed.  My Competition Electronics Pro Chrony took a shit.  It has always been hincky.  Don't buy cheap.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 7:27:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It serves no purpose.

View Quote

Wrong.

I daily carry a Glock 29 (10mm, compact double-stack). I used to carry the Springfield .45 XDM 3.8 compact.

I’m glad Springfield now has a 10mm version. I’ll definitely consider it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 7:26:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, I picked one up today, by that I mean I held one in the store.  It's not something that fits me.  So I'll look in a different direction and either go with a 10 mm in a 1911, or wait for the SS-35 Browning copy.  I have a friend that is looking as well if he buys one maybe I can get in a test drive then make a decision.  But for now I'll stick with 45 acp or 9mm.
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 9:50:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Well, I picked one up today, by that I mean I held one in the store.  It's not something that fits me.  So I'll look in a different direction and either go with a 10 mm in a 1911, or wait for the SS-35 Browning copy.  I have a friend that is looking as well if he buys one maybe I can get in a test drive then make a decision.  But for now I'll stick with 45 acp or 9mm.
View Quote

A 10mm 1911 is a wonderful thing. I really enjoy my Colt Delta Elite,    though it is a bit large and heavy for a daily carry pistol. Less ao when open carrying OWB.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 12:48:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I just found out about these this week. Got to see one at a shop and did like. For those that have one, if  you remove the mag well is there a gap between the grip and the mag. The mag well just hit the bottom of my hand funny and wondered how that works.
Besides that I really liked it. The only reason I didn’t buy was the recent rumor of the 10mm M&P gave me pause as I’m very familiar with the Smith.
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 3:37:26 AM EDT
[#22]
I handled one in the store today alongside a S&W Shield with a Pro trigger and a 2.0 S&W 40 with the hinged trigger. I was hoping they'd have the new Smith to compare.

I wasn't impressed with the optic but the trigger was the best of the three the Shield coming in second.

At this point I'm considering a 4.6 M&P and the 3.8 Springfield with a 407c on both. One will be for my lovely bride so it's not yet set in stone. She'll want to choose her own..

It's really great to have these available, running the Rockies from New Mexico to Canada the 10 is a better choice.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 6:19:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I just found out about these this week. Got to see one at a shop and did like. For those that have one, if  you remove the mag well is there a gap between the grip and the mag. The mag well just hit the bottom of my hand funny and wondered how that works.
Besides that I really liked it. The only reason I didn’t buy was the recent rumor of the 10mm M&P gave me pause as I’m very familiar with the Smith.
View Quote

I didn't like how the magwell felt either and removed it as soon as I brought mine home. Bought it on a whim today.

There is no gap between the grip and the magazine when the magwell is removed.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 11:30:06 PM EDT
[#24]
I bought one, but have yet to take it to the range and test run it.
At first impression, it kinda feels a bit like a toy. Next to my Glock 20 it is smaller and may be more nimble in hand. The sights seem very good, I have the iron sights. I don’t plan on acclimating to red dot any time soon.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 12:11:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I handled one in the store today alongside a S&W Shield with a Pro trigger and a 2.0 S&W 40 with the hinged trigger. I was hoping they'd have the new Smith to compare.

I wasn't impressed with the optic but the trigger was the best of the three the Shield coming in second.

At this point I'm considering a 4.6 M&P and the 3.8 Springfield with a 407c on both. One will be for my lovely bride so it's not yet set in stone. She'll want to choose her own..

It's really great to have these available, running the Rockies from New Mexico to Canada the 10 is a better choice.
View Quote

The 10mm XDM and 507/407C is a good combo.

I have the non-Elite with the 507C-GR. Great setup.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 8:44:31 PM EDT
[#26]
So I took mine to the range today...I am impressed. The recoil was not as bad as I suspected for a short 10mm. The accuracy was EXCELLENT, better than my Hellcat, however the magazine release was not as smooth as the Hellcat. The trigger was excellent with a smooth pull to a crisp break. I shot Sig Sauer full power fmj and had no function issues with feed, overall function was very smooth.
Very nice weapon, also seems a bit more refined than my Glock 20. Maybe more suitable for EDC?
I liked it a lot, good investment.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 12:41:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Just picked up one of these. Fits my hand a lot better than a G29. Suppressor sights and 15 round mag sleeves on the way from Springfield. I didn't like the mag well either removed immediately.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top