Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2022 6:39:01 PM EDT
Who knows how many’s thousands upon thousands of rounds has been shot thru this gun. The disconnector and or portion of the slide it contacts have worn so much it will not release the trigger bar during the firing cycle. Both contact points are shinny and smooth. Allowing the hammer to follow the slide as it goes into battery. I can get it to work if I press the slide to the right while working the slide. Wonder if s&w has another disconnector for me to swap out?

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 6:43:30 PM EDT
[#1]
IN…

…for response from Smith on this.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 9:32:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I’m curious if this is the M&P Compact 22 LR manufactured by S&W or the Umarex imported S&W M&P 22 full size.   If it is the compact S&W might fix it since a safety issue.  If it is the imported Umarex model that was manufactured by Walther IIRC you might be directed to either U or W  for repair.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 5:23:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’m curious if this is the M&P Compact 22 LR manufactured by S&W or the Umarex imported S&W M&P 22 full size.   If it is the compact S&W might fix it since a safety issue.  If it is the imported Umarex model that was manufactured by Walther IIRC you might be directed to either U or W  for repair.
View Quote

Full size. I talked to smith and they wont get me a disconnector. said i had to send the whole gun in. Not doing that. I can get a disconnector from Numrich for $5. now im wondering if i can massage the rails in a bit on the slide to help it make contact.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:58:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Full size. I talked to smith and they wont get me a disconnector. said i had to send the whole gun in. Not doing that. I can get a disconnector from Numrich for $5. now im wondering if i can massage the rails in a bit on the slide to help it make contact.
View Quote

Yeah - don't let S&W honor their lifetime warranty. Buy some parts that have to be fitted, get a dremel tool and have at it...  
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 11:15:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks like you might need more than just a disconnector, looks like the slide needs to be replaced too.  I would send back to S&W.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 2:51:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I got nothing about repair , but am slightly envious of being able to shoot enough to flat-ass wear out a pistol.
WAY TO GO !!!!!
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 4:07:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why not send it in?
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 2:37:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Why not send it in?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not send it in?

Assuming they'll give you shipping label, why not send it in?  A lot of the polymer frame .22 pistols seem to be built on the (reasonable) assumption that most gun owners shoot their guns very rarely.  This isn't the first time I've seen a polymer frame .22 pistol die in the hands of an owner who actually shoots a lot.  My cousin just killed a Ruger SR22 after years of heavy range use.

I'd send it in.  Who knows what else might be going on.  You might actually get a signficantly refurbished gun back.

As an aside, I, as the third owner, managed to break a Ruger Mark II after decades of heavy range use by all owners.  Ruger sent me a label, I shipped it to them, they fixed the mainspring retaining bolt that had sheared off, and went ahead and replaced my heavily worn extractor and replaced all the springs.  No charge to me, and my Mark II is ready for 25 more years of shooting.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 6:40:13 PM EDT
[#9]
IF it were mine, I would just send it back to S&W regardless if they paid for the shipping or not. That gun looks like it needs a factory thorough rebuild but probably just cheaper for S&W to replace it. I am betting S&W would like to examine it to get a better idea what is happening with high round count guns.

but you do you  
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 10:00:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
IF it were mine, I would just send it back to S&W regardless if they paid for the shipping or not. That gun looks like it needs a factory thorough rebuild but probably just cheaper for S&W to replace it. I am betting S&W would like to examine it to get a better idea what is happening with high round count guns.

but you do you  
View Quote

This.

I'm pretty sure they will send you a paid shipping label.
More than likely you will have in back in 2 weeks or less.
It will be a new gun.

But, many gun owners gripe when their guns, with a lifetime warranty, break.
A lot of them say something like "I sold it at a loss" or "I just threw it in the back of the safe.".

I've used the warranty service of S&W and Ruger more than I can remember.
But as Makarov said:
You do you.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 9:32:17 AM EDT
[#11]
OP here

I got a new disconnector installed and its better. Went from every other round failures to a failure every few mags. i will prob send it in eventually. It just such a pain cause i have to pull the aftermarket front site, rear adapter with red dot. if they replace the slide i wanted to make sure i got those back.

I like to try to fix things myself to learn how things work.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 1:18:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
OP here

I got a new disconnector installed and its better. Went from every other round failures to a failure every few mags. i will prob send it in eventually. It just such a pain cause i have to pull the aftermarket front site, rear adapter with red dot. if they replace the slide i wanted to make sure i got those back.

I like to try to fix things myself to learn how things work.
View Quote

Okay, now I understand.
When you have non standard stuff and you have to remove it to ship it back, yes it is a pain.

Sorry bro.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 4:47:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Update:  

Sent the gun to s&w, they kept it 8 weeks and returned it. Said the couldn’t fix it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 6:57:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Update:  

Sent the gun to s&w, they kept it 8 weeks and returned it. Said the couldn’t fix it.
View Quote

That would piss me off, I’m sorry OP.

Looks like it’s time to buy a Ruger MKIV 22/45 Lite
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 7:18:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

lol I have an original 22/45 that I haven’t shot in years. If I buy something it will be a sig 322
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 8:36:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

lol I have an original 22/45 that I haven’t shot in years. If I buy something it will be a sig 322
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Solid choice, look at FN too
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 11:05:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Glock 44 has been a solid shooter for me.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 11:13:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Sig pulled that on me as well. Shot my mosquito so much the pot metal slide developed a crack from the dust cover up. I had to pay to fix, even after calling them out on the "to hell and back" claim.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 11:26:18 PM EDT
[#19]
My first Ruger .22 auto pistol had thousands of rounds through it.
Never a hiccup...
At the time, I was first starting to shoot competition, and K-mart was selling CCI mini-mags for a dollar per 100 round box, I would buy 5000 rounds at the time.
Just a guess, but I would say Bill Ruger had a better idea how to build a .22 auto, than S&W does today.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 9:22:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My first Ruger .22 auto pistol had thousands of rounds through it.
Never a hiccup...
At the time, I was first starting to shoot competition, and K-mart was selling CCI mini-mags for a dollar per 100 round box, I would buy 5000 rounds at the time.
Just a guess, but I would say Bill Ruger had a better idea how to build a .22 auto, than S&W does today.
View Quote

Umarex built the original M&P22 pistol. and its had 10s of thousands of rounds thru it
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 12:23:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Called S&W back today to discuss. CS rep told me that in the notes, it said the frame was cracked and had to go to a diff department for frame repair.  remember this is a polymer gun with a fire control group dropped it. there are no cracks in anything. i tried to tell the rep that by she kept interrupting me. telling me to send it back. im done with them. i went in the shop and put the slide in a vice to tighten up the rear of the slide where it would contact the disconector. it took alot of slop out of it. i ran 5 mags thru it of good ammo and it was 95%. im good with that got a range toy.

ill still pick up the 322 one day as my primary rimfire trainer when i find a deal on one.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 3:42:13 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm liking the TX-22.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top