Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/10/2018 11:08:27 PM EDT
Just acquired a new to me 92fs and want to send it off to Wilson for some work. Looking at their site, I am not really sure what options to choose from a long list of possibilities. Outside of aesthetics, what are the best function mods to choose from? This is just a range shooter not a competition gun. Looking for the smoothest shooter possible. The carry package sounds good but I don't want to replace sights. Also what is the benefit if any of shortening the barrel to 4.7 and reversing the crown?
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 8:16:55 PM EDT
[#1]
How old is the gun? Does it have a metal or plastic trigger?

The 92FS can indeed benefit from a few upgrades but really don't need a whole hog package.

I own four 92 Series pistols & I've learned by trial & error what's worked.

If you have a plastic trigger:

1) Order a metal trigger replacement.

2) Order a Wolff Gunsprings reduced power trigger return spring and reduced power mainspring.

3) Order a Wolff recoil spring that's 2-3lbs above OEM rating.

When the parts arrive, watch the youtube video on replacing the springs. Watch it 3-4 times if you're slow like me.  

The reason for the bump in the recoil spring is to make up for the lowered mainspring poundage you're installing. The slide has resistance during recoil from cocking the hammer. Lower mainspring rating means you should make up for it somewhere else & that somewhere is the recoil spring.

If you have the metal trigger: skip the replacement trigger but get everything else & do the replacement.

The captured trigger return spring will NOT work with a plastic trigger, which is where the metal trigger comes into play.

The average 92FS is capable of superior accuracy when the shooter does his/her part. I shot mine in USPSA for years & it still has the original bbl & still shoots tiny little groups when I can hold still.

VZ-type grips are also a good upgrade if one gets sweaty hands in the summer. Lots of colors to choose from too.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:23:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Here's a summary of the mods that I've done to my 92fs (already had all metal parts) along with some pics...

1. 16# Wilson Combat Hammer Sping
2. Elite II Hammer
3. Wilson Combat Thin Grips
4. Wilson Combat Extended Mag Release
5. Wilson Combat Mag Guide
6. Springco Recoil Spring Assembly
7. Barrel Flush Cut and 60° Recessed Crown (by AGW)

Beretta 92fs Pics
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:34:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How old is the gun? Does it have a metal or plastic trigger?

The 92FS can indeed benefit from a few upgrades but really don't need a whole hog package.

I own four 92 Series pistols & I've learned by trial & error what's worked.

If you have a plastic trigger:

1) Order a metal trigger replacement.

2) Order a Wolff Gunsprings reduced power trigger return spring and reduced power mainspring.

3) Order a Wolff recoil spring that's 2-3lbs above OEM rating.

When the parts arrive, watch the youtube video on replacing the springs. Watch it 3-4 times if you're slow like me.  

The reason for the bump in the recoil spring is to make up for the lowered mainspring poundage you're installing. The slide has resistance during recoil from cocking the hammer. Lower mainspring rating means you should make up for it somewhere else & that somewhere is the recoil spring.

If you have the metal trigger: skip the replacement trigger but get everything else & do the replacement.

The captured trigger return spring will NOT work with a plastic trigger, which is where the metal trigger comes into play.

The average 92FS is capable of superior accuracy when the shooter does his/her part. I shot mine in USPSA for years & it still has the original bbl & still shoots tiny little groups when I can hold still.

VZ-type grips are also a good upgrade if one get sweaty hands in the summer. Lots of colors to choose from too.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/15596/92FS_Inox_jpg-736884.JPG
View Quote
Thanks. It is an older pistol, manufactured in 2002. It has a metal trigger. Should I still change out the springs with the trigger even if I am not changing the trigger?  Extra power recoil spring was on my list.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:37:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Here's a summary of the mods that I've done to my 92fs (already had all metal parts) along with some pics...

1. 16# Wilson Combat Hammer Sping
2. Elite II Hammer
3. Wilson Combat Thin Grips
4. Wilson Combat Extended Mag Release
5. Wilson Combat Mag Guide
6. Springco Recoil Spring Assembly
7. Barrel Flush Cut and 60° Recessed Crown (by AGW)

Beretta 92fs Pics

Thanks! Did you get them to action tune it? Also is the barrel shorten/reverse crown just aesthetic or does it serve another functional purpose? I like the way yours looks.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:48:24 PM EDT
[#5]
With the exception of the barrel cut and recrown (by Allegheny Gun Works/AGW), I did the other mods myself since they're actually fairly simple to do.

The action is already pretty smooth and just gets smoother with use.

The 16# hammer spring is a great enhancement. Some go lighter but I was simply looking for a smoother double action pull with 100% reliability.

In theory, the cut and recrown might increase the accuracy but it was already very accurate...I just really like the way it looks :-)
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:06:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks. It is an older pistol, manufactured in 2002. It has a metal trigger. Should I still change out the springs with the trigger even if I am not changing the trigger?  Extra power recoil spring was on my list.  
View Quote
Yes!

The original "mousetrap" spring is known to be the weak point of the entire gun. The captured trigger return spring eliminates all of the weak points of the OEM design. The reduced power option coupled with the lowered mainspring = instant trigger job for about $25-30 that you can do yourself.

Personally, I would skip the metal guide rod as I've found that item to add nothing to the reliability or performance of the gun.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:33:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Your advice to always bump up the recoil spring when installing a lighter mainspring (in my case, I always use the "D" spring or WOLFF equivalent weight) has always been followed by me for those same reasons.

I wonder if the M9A3 then comes with a 15 or 16lb instead of a 13lb mainspring since it has a "D" spring from the factory?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 8:06:23 PM EDT
[#8]
All guns that are shipped with the D spring have the same weight recoil spring as 92FS.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 9:11:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
All guns that are shipped with the D spring have the same weight recoil spring as 92FS.
View Quote
Well both setups seem to be reliable then.....D with factory (13lb) or 15lb/16lb recoil springs.  I guess I'll stay stock this time following the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 10:15:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Factory springs are designed to run with 99% types of ammo. From light target loads to +P, the OEM is designed to function with them all.

Having said that, *I* don't run light target loads, so I bump my recoil spring up by 2-3lbs. I believe it's for this reason that I'm still on my original barrel locking block after thousands of rds in USPSA competition as well as 3 Gun.

The cool part about guns is they're a lot like cars. They're built as cheaply as possible by the mfgr in order to maximize profits. Obviously I don't mean built dirt cheap like a High Point, but when sourcing tens of thousands of widgets, there's a cost difference of just 1 or 2 cents per item, it adds up over the long haul.

Again, like cars, a few well-placed mods can make a gun run a whole lot better. The 92 Series is included in this assessment. Of course, like cars, many people are content with stock OEM status & there's nothing wrong with that. But it do be boring..........
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:06:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Factory springs are designed to run with 99% types of ammo. From light target loads to +P, the OEM is designed to function with them all.

Having said that, *I* don't run light target loads, so I bump my recoil spring up by 2-3lbs. I believe it's for this reason that I'm still on my original barrel locking block after thousands of rds in USPSA competition as well as 3 Gun.

The cool part about guns is they're a lot like cars. They're built as cheaply as possible by the mfgr in order to maximize profits. Obviously I don't mean built dirt cheap like a High Point, but when sourcing tens of thousands of widgets, there's a cost difference of just 1 or 2 cents per item, it adds up over the long haul.

Again, like cars, a few well-placed mods can make a gun run a whole lot better. The 92 Series is included in this assessment. Of course, like cars, many people are content with stock OEM status & there's nothing wrong with that. But it do be boring..........
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fwiw I do plenty of upgrading and tinkering, to include drilling out front sights for gold beads myself.

I just don't invent reasons for my modifications.

I typically use heavier recoil springs because I typically use NATO ammo in my Berettas, not because of the d spring.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:26:17 AM EDT
[#12]
The safety on the 92FS can be a problem for many, Wilson can take care of that if you want it done.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:13:28 AM EDT
[#13]
The service they offer for conversion----is it just installing the new lever kit from Beretta or is it machining the slide into a true "G" configuration?
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:42:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The service they offer for conversion----is it just installing the new lever kit from Beretta or is it machining the slide into a true "G" configuration?
View Quote
If it's the former, it wouldn't even be worth having them do it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:43:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
The latter. Which would be nice for a single sided low pro lever.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:47:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is incorrect. Their service includes machining. They've offered this for years.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 11:03:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This is incorrect. Their service includes machining. They've offered this for years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wasn't sure if they had changed it or not, I just meant that if it's just the drop in then it would be better to DIY.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 11:13:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I wasn't sure if they had changed it or not, I just meant that if it's just the drop in then it would be better to DIY.
View Quote
Exactly why I was asking.

Though after watching a "how to" video on the "G" kit installation I'm not exactly eager to do it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 7:07:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Exactly why I was asking.

Though after watching a "how to" video on the "G" kit installation I'm not exactly eager to do it.
View Quote
@762AR25

I've installed three of the kits, the hardest part for me was just finding a punch small enough to use in my tool box. Between that, breaking my punch, then making a new one my first install time was around 30-40 mins. Second I got installed in less than 20. The last went in around 15.

I personally am a fan of the G conversion kit, makes a great pistol even better in my opinion
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 12:20:09 AM EDT
[#20]
The g kits really aren't that hard to install.

My compact has one but I'm still interested in a low pro single side safety for that gun.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 6:56:27 PM EDT
[#21]
The G kit is really easy to install. That said, I want my slide machined out, because I want a single side safety.

I'm gonna go against popular sentiment here.

I really like the standard plastic trigger with the standard trigger spring.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:32:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Wilson did one for me with a single side lever and on another pistol I installed the Beretta kit myself. The kit was real easy to do.

About 4 years ago I had the custom carry package and G conversion done to a 92A1. Only thing they didn't do was chop the barrel, kinda wish I had chosen that option. They did an awesome job on the gun. Though considering the price tag, I'd just chose a LTT Elite or Wilson Brig Tac and keep the FS stock. Those weren't available when I had mine done.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:39:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Wilson did one for me with a single side lever and on another pistol I installed the Beretta kit myself. The kit was real easy to do.

About 4 years ago I had the custom carry package and G conversion done to a 92A1. Only thing they didn't do was chop the barrel, kinda wish I had chosen that option. They did an awesome job on the gun. Though considering the price tag, I'd just chose a LTT Elite or Wilson Brig Tac and keep the FS stock. Those weren't available when I had mine done.
View Quote
It is a great time to be into Berettas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top