Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2018 5:57:05 PM EDT
The subject says it all, though I have a cyl/slide tactical II 5 pc. pkg.with a 4 lb. trigger pull but I want to lower it. I also have a 6
in ported Bar-Sto barrel.

Thanks for any replies.

Roy Allain
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 7:53:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, installing a lighter hammer spring will reduce trigger pull weight
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 11:20:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Installing a new hammer ( aka mainspring) spring won’t make a difference. Installing a new leaf spring ( sear/disconnector grip safety spring) will
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 12:45:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Thanks for the quick reply d_j_b.

I sort of agree with you except a Cylinder Slide tech said the leaf spring I have installed is the lighter spring which is included in the "Tactical II" set. So now I will have to find out if there is a lighter leaf spring available.

I was tempted to bend the spring to try to lighten it, but decided against doing that as I have no experience with it an don't want to create a  (stupid) dangerous situation.

However, I am going to go with a lighter hammer spring as I have a whole set of them. I will post with the results later.

Again, Thanks d_j_b and Captain127 for the info.

Roy
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 5:14:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I sort of agree with you except a Cylinder Slide tech said the leaf spring I have installed is the lighter spring which is included in the "Tactical II" set. So now I will have to find out if there is a lighter leaf spring available.

I was tempted to bend the spring to try to lighten it, but decided against doing that as I have no experience with it an don't want to create a  (stupid) dangerous situation.

However, I am going to go with a lighter hammer spring as I have a whole set of them. I will post with the results later.

Roy
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Roy
Polishing the hammer hooks (full cock shelf) and sear nose will also reduce the pull unless they are already very polished.

Making sure the sear nose angle is correct and not moving the hammer during firing (essential cocking it further) until it releases also helps.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 10:56:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Roy
View Quote
Going with a lighter mainspring will make very little difference in the pull weight.

Adjusting the leaf spring is where you'll see the biggest difference. Buy some extras and practice. You don't want to go too light otherwise you'll get hammer follow after each shot. A small amount of adjustment will make a big difference.

Edit: shortening the hammer hooks effects trigger creep mostly, and prepping the sear/hammer engagement surfaces will have a small effect on the pull weight, but mostly it's just to ensure proper sear/hammer engagement under the lighter force of an adjusted leaf spring.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 1:07:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Going with a lighter mainspring will make very little difference in the pull weight.

Adjusting the leaf spring is where you'll see the biggest difference. Buy some extras and practice. You don't want to go too light otherwise you'll get hammer follow after each shot. A small amount of adjustment will make a big difference.

Edit: shortening the hammer hooks effects trigger creep mostly, and prepping the sear/hammer engagement surfaces will have a small effect on the pull weight, but mostly it's just to ensure proper sear/hammer engagement under the lighter force of an adjusted leaf spring.
View Quote
Only if the sear and hammer hooks are perfectly polished.
As in smooth as a mirror on the nose of the sear and face of the hammer shelf.

There is plenty of force there and it creates friction as you try to remove the sear nose fro under the shelf.

If the geometry is not correct and the sear pushes further against the hammer hooks (forcing the hammer
further backwards) the forces are even worse since now you are seeing additional compression of the mainspring.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top