Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2021 5:54:01 PM EDT
Been looking at newer Colts and two have caught my eye.  The full size Wiley Clapp and the full size Combat Unit.
Has anyone had both or shot both and if so, what are your thoughts on them ?  The rail isn’t a deal breaker either way nor is the finish.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 7:26:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the short clapp.  So far it has been a great one.  Maybe 1100
Rounds and a year or so of carry.
The grip screw bushings are unique, if that carries over to the 5”.
Mine seems well built, and the alloy ramp is a non issue.

Never held a combat unit.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 3:29:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Malhass] [#2]
I sold my combat unit , still have my clapp in commander 45 acp . Good luck finding any at a reasonable price tho .
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 9:31:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a Combat Unit Railgun...handled a bunch of Clapps but never shot one. I would expect them to all function the same.

Pete Single did the checkering on the Clapp guns; they'll be a little different visually from the factory checkered CCU guns, but function will be the same.

The Combat Unit guns are all S80/have Colt's firing pin safety; the Clapp guns are all standard fire control (what people keep calling S70, but Series 70 indicated a collet bushing and "accurizer" barrel; it had nothing to do with the fire control setup..)

For me, as my CCU gets carried on occasion, the Series 80 stuff is fine. It really does not impact your trigger; Colt ironed all those issues out right after introduction. I prefer a S80 gun over the USGI gun setups, but YMMV.

The sights on the Combat Units are full black rears and a nightsight front; on the Clapp guns, it's a brass bead front, same all black rear. The brass bead isn't BAD per-se, but it dulls easily; you need to keep wiping/polishing it. A true gold bead would work better, but they're also pricier.

The Clapp guns have a standard blued finish which is great; the Combat Unit guns are all ionbonded grey. It's not bad, but it's kind of utiltiarian.  I think the Clapp guns are all carbon steel (except the stainless ones of course); all the Combat Unit guns are iirc stainless under the ionbond.

Also, I prefer the larger thumb safety on the Combat Unit, though honestly both the safety on the Clapp and on the Combat Unit would be getting swapped out for a Wilson or Novak thumb safety, for me. The un-dehorned rear edge of the factory Colt safeties eats the web of my thumb terribly; the Wilson is much nicer for me in that regard.

Honestly, it's %95 visual stuff; there's no real mechanical difference between them. If you prefer Pete's checkering over Colt's factory checkering, go for the Clapp guns; if you want something that looks a little more industrial that you wouldn't cry if it gets a scratch on it, go with the Combat Unit.

Link Posted: 12/2/2021 7:29:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I really like my Clapp

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 9:42:56 PM EDT
[#5]
They are both nice and checkering is a plus but the grip safety is usual Colt loose fit.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 7:38:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I really like that, aesthetically it’s damn near perfect.
Now as another poster has mentioned, not easy to find one.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top