Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2017 9:53:36 PM EDT
I own glocks, smith, ruger, FN,Springfield... ...numerous of each. It is not my main CCW, but I do stash it in one of my vehicles in the event I'm out without my main CCW.

The ergo is one of the best, it is hicap for a compact, never hung up......

Help me understand.....is it snobbery pure and simple? I know the gen 1 was recalled,...I got a replacement. Bottom line, I like the size of that dude....thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 9:58:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Be poor elsewhere.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 10:00:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Honestly, I carried a PF9 for the longest. Just like the one George Zimmerman used.

Is it bad I called that pistol Lil' Trayvon?
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 10:44:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I own glocks, smith, ruger, FN,Springfield... ...numerous of each. It is not my main CCW, but I do stash it in one of my vehicles in the event I'm out without my main CCW.

Help me understand.....is it snobbery pure and simple? I know the gen 1 was recalled,...I got a replacement. Bottom line, I like the size of that dude....thoughts?
View Quote

I had a Beretta and it was a POS.
I got a G2 for $200 and it is great.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 10:54:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I have I PT 111 Gen 2 that came into the shop as an over shipment from the distributor. Was going to send it back. Let the GF look at it and try it. She liked it, so I bought it. I have over 1000 rounds through it and have quit counting. It shoots very well, has a DAMN GOOD trigger, Hi cap, good grip feel and angle, and decent sights. She likes it and shoots it well. I am looking at getting a second one just because. Nice little gun at an excellent price. It wont replace my 1911s, Kahrs, S & Ws, etc, but they are damn good guns for what they are.

There may be some folks out there that got lemons in Gen 2. So what, send it back. I have yet to see any other brand of firearm have 100% results with their goods. You will get a few bad products out of ANY production line.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 11:41:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I love everything about mine, stainless, safety, lockable, great trigger, perfect concealment size. I don't care care that it says taurus on it, its a great pistol.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 1:15:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I had a PT 711 Slim that kept having issues. Had a hard time getting Taurus to fix it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 9:04:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Hit and miss quality control. I had a DAO PT-145 that was replaced by Taurus with a 9mm G2.  The G2 is excellent, feels good, and works well. Once you are sure it's reliable, the G2 would be an excellent CCW.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 1:23:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Taurus has a reputation that has been earned over many years.  The PT11 G2 is just 1 part of that reputation.

Asking 'why the hate for Taurus?' based on 1 firearm doesn't settle anything.

That said, there is much to recommend in that particular gun...though the first one I purchased was a jammomatic.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 2:10:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I've got a Taurus revolver that I really like. It was one of my first few gun purchases.

It's a 606 2" .357.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 2:28:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got a Taurus revolver that I really like. It was one of my first few gun purchases.

It's a 606 2" .357.
View Quote
I've got the 617 7-shot .357
Love that gun, lost count of how many rounds I have through it, never had problems with it. 
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 11:30:16 PM EDT
[#11]
They had a decent reputation until they got in the plastic pistol market. I currently own a PT99, PT22, model 82 and 96 revolvers and a G2. I had a PT 945 and would still carry it but it hammer bit me so bad I had to let it go. The metal framed guns are generally good to go.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 7:26:38 AM EDT
[#12]
I like the plastic frame offerings from Taurus -- tried one pt709 9mm slim without issue at 500 rds and three pt111 g2 9mm without issue among the extended family with 750rds in mine cleaned only at 500 rds.
I also regret selling a high blue polish model 85 38 special taurus -- it never failed me but it just didn't meet smith & wesson quality.

I really like how the pt709/740 and pt111/140 g2 have the single action/double action striker fire with restrike capability and short reset, but I really wish some aftermarket parts mfg produces a drop in firing control group to help with the horrible overtravel before the trigger even breaks. Considering that Glock 26 holsters work well for the Mlllenium g2, Lakeline inc has been producing some aftermarket sights and small parts that really makes the platform more viable.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 7:17:06 PM EDT
[#13]
It sounds like my experience.  My wife liked it so much she bought one.  Well?  After shooting it, I went and got myself one.  So far, after at least 600 rounds through it, no issues or misfires.  It has a very nice grip and it shoots better than me, lol.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 7:18:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I got the 607 in 38 Spec/357 Magnum and I love it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 6:12:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I picked up a PT111 for my wife for her birthday. Cableas had em for $200. I shot it a few times... Ended up buying one for myself. It is now added to the lineup of carry guns along with my Smith M&P 4.25" and 638. I work for the Army and there are a lot of dudes drop crazy amounts on pistols and anything south of $1,000 is garbage. At least I can afford ammo.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 7:40:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Mods, pls Delete ,double post.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 7:41:24 PM EDT
[#17]
I own a couple of them.
Runs pretty well, except when new there were some frequent chambering hickups when inserting a new mag especially with hollow points (but not exclusively w/ hollow points, FMJ too). Now mostly gone.
Shot 3000 rds out of my "shooter".

Still shoots. If anything it shoots better/smoother than new.
For the money just a  crazy value!
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 6:11:56 AM EDT
[#18]
I bought 3 of the g2's (2 9mm and a 40), no issues with any of them.  Have an 85 snubbie that shoots way better than it should.

Fixing problems is tauruses biggest issue. QC seems to be a struggle.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 6:39:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ditto here. My Taurus 1911 hangs in there with a lot more valuable pieces. I even converted one to 460 Roland.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 8:16:00 AM EDT
[#20]
When I worked in a gun shop about 3 years ago about 1 in 4 Taurus guns we sold came back . Some were broke or had problems and got sent back to Taurus one or more times.

Other guns (mostly revolvers) got traded because owners decided they shot other brands of revolvers better mostly because of trigger issues.

Resale generally sucked because we had trouble selling them.

I would generally advise folks to buy something else used before a new Taurus if money was a issue
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 8:26:39 AM EDT
[#21]
My experience with Taurus goes back almost 40 years.
Every one of them had issues if they were used much.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 12:40:30 AM EDT
[#22]
I keep losing track.. my 2 PT111G2s ,one has maybe 3000-4000 rds thru it, maybe more.
The intital hesitancy to chamber the first round on a slide-lockback reload has gone away.

Once in the middle of a busy afternoon shooting one of the receiver pins started walking a bit... didnt keep the gun from shooting tho.
Even so it was a quick and easy fix. (banging the pin back in with a expended round). Didnt come back and this was the first time this has happened over 2 yrs of ownership and 4000 ish rds thru that particular one.

At 200 bucks they are basically free guns when you consider how much ammo one goes thru per year to stay proficient.
Ammo costs a multiple than the guns.

They are ergonomic  (except for that long trigger pull) great factory stippling. love that tactile loaded chamber indicator, has external safety (which I prefer for carry), the dimples on the lower receiver are fully fucntional and greatly assist in assuming a modern pistol grip quick on a quick draw.
Love the size too. Just small enough to be easily concealable (despite being a double stack which is nice) w/o issue but substantial enough to be quite effective.

Plus as I said w/ spending easily a grand on 9mm per year , a pistol thats only 200 USD is basically free in the big scheme of things.

Is it a service grade handgun? Probably not.. my full size M&P 9 feels more durable and substantial.. but its a full size service pistol and few compacts are service grade or will feel as substantial.

Oh, and BTW it looks good.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 7:13:34 AM EDT
[#23]
I had a PT145 which was recalled because of the drop issue.  I sent it back for repair/replacement. As there was no repair for that gun they were going to replace it with the PT111 g2.  OK fine I send in a .45 and they want to replace it with a 9mm.  Anyway that's when things went south.  customer service at Taurus is nonexistent.  It was over 6 months waiting with no information from customer service.  I called many times and never received any information other than "it's in for observations"  Then all of a sudden it's sent to my FFL with no paperwork.  Luckily he knew of the issue I was having and called me.  
I was going to just trade the gun off as I was finished with Taurus but I took it to the range and now have a different opinion.  It seems to function and handle well.  Yeah it's not in the same league as my sigs or springfields or even my walthers but for a sub $300 pistol its a keeper.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 2:00:18 AM EDT
[#24]
I have approx 500 rounds through my PT111 G2 with no hiccups. It’s eaten a mix of 115, 124, 147, with steel, aluminum and brass cases, FMJ, truncated cone and hollow points.

I don’t prefer the amount of trigger take up and that it breaks so far back.  But I can overlook this mild annoyance because it performs well and it’s nice to have 12+1 rounds in such a nicely sized gun, all for a $200 price tag.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 10:57:02 PM EDT
[#25]
I don’t prefer the amount of trigger take up and that it breaks so far back. But I can overlook this mild annoyance because it performs well and it’s nice to have 12+1 rounds in such a nicely sized gun, all for a $200 price tag.
View Quote
Sig P226 mags work flawlessly in it also with about 1/2 inch or so exposed.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 11:36:25 PM EDT
[#26]
In the past they always had one of if not the highest return rate of any manufacturer. I have been out of the game for a while but I doubt that has changed. There are plenty of people with Taurus guns that have never skipped a beat. There are also plenty of people that have had problems ranging from tiny visual things to huge mechanical disasters.

What I don't understand is that for a couple hundred more bucks in most cases you could buy a solid choice with a much more proven track record. Why the hell would you even risk it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 9:49:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Not sure why they get trashed. I had a 24/7 That they replaced with a pt111.
Yes it took some time but I have a better ccw.
My main  ccw is a kimber (also trashed) or glock.

At lest they haven't had problems like Sig lol now they may have had other problems I'm not aware of.
Hard to beat for the prices.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 8:05:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Because their guns are very hit or miss.  Probably the best gun they've ever made was (I guess still is) their 92 and their small Beretta tip-up copies.  Some of the older revolvers were functional/serviceable with .38 but very roughly finished.  They weren't rated for +P rounds though which is a huge downside in the States.  Their early small frame 85s seem to be decent enough guns as well but somewhere along the line they really started having issues, especially with their polymer frame guns- to the point lots of stores just wouldn't carry them at all because too many were having to go back for service.

<--- Not a Taurus hater, I like their 92 and some of their plain old revolvers but I can't see me ever buying one of their newer guns.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 7:58:50 AM EDT
[#29]
The complaint I hear about the most from people shooting mine at the range is the trigger. Some people don't like the fact that it has to be pulled all of the way to the rear to fire. I don't see it as a big deal, but then I shoot so many different type of handguns I am not extremely stuck on one type.

Overall I think the G2 is a great bargain for someone looking for an inexpensive gun. I may pick up another one, eventually.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 12:15:10 AM EDT
[#30]
From what I understand, Beretta left their 92 equipment so that is why Taurus makes them so well. It's like how Norinco can make good m1as because America sold them the original M14 machinery.

The only Taurus I own is a 1911PT. I bought it because I like the two tone and without the big ugly logo on the slide. I also wanted to preserve my pricier 1911s and I also have one 1911 that I consider sentimental to me.

The 1911pt works surprisingly well. Nothing broke yet, but who knows. From what I read it's supposed to break but I just hope not.

From the start I notice the barrel seems to look cheap. It's much thinner than other barrels and at first I thought people were right this thing is going to break. But it seems to work very well with standard 230gr ball ammo. I also felt the trigger, while somewhat nice, just doesn't feel right. Doesn't feel like it has a lot more slack and inconsistently like one minute you can pull it just right and the next it feels like it is going on forever. Not sure if it is a mind game or not.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 1:39:13 AM EDT
[#31]
I can somewhat understand the rep. I made the mistake of buying a semi auto in 357 sig from the relative of a friend years ago. It was garbage...trash. It couldn’t,make it through a mag without severe issues.

. That being said, there are diamonds in the rough, and I do say rough.

I have the 8 shot 357 mag revolver. When I bought it, it was...lacking. I opened it up, and it was burr central. That being said, I completely stripped it,and spent a lot of tlc cleaning it up and polishing everything. I changed a few springs after and today have a legit very, very good gun purchased for a third of a comparable SW or Ruger. It was a great learning experience, as I was able to completely strip a revolver for the first time and reasemble while keeping it safe.

Off the shelf, it’s a cheap gun that may be a failure timebomb. I’d you are willing to learn and put in the time to had fit, I can’t think of a cheaper learning opportunity. Tale that for what you will. I’d bet my life on mine in a second.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 12:01:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Never owned a Taurus. Was interested in the Sig P365...quickly learned it was a pos. Did some research and bought 2 Taurus G2C’s. 300 rounds through each so far without a hiccup. Love the way they shoot.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 7:20:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Per CNN, in the midst of the Thursday Cincinnati tragedy with lives lost because of a deranged PR killing people at a bank, Taurus quality probably saved some lives.

The August purchased new Taurus semi auto 9mm failed to feed on one or more occasions.  (Possibly with FMJ Ball.)  The 9mm was found with a feedway stoppage round trapped high between the breech face and barrel hood.

Foutunately brave CPD Officers were equipped with and understood the utilization of barrier blind pistol ammo.  They put the SOB down firing through hi-rise ground floor plate glass.  No officers hid like in Florida waiting for the noise to stop inside.  They went right to it and nailed the miscreant.  No joy but less killed than woulda happened.

Thank you CPD!

[Really odd is the one Officers M4 patrol rifle fired one round and ceased functionality and was abandoned for a Smith pistol.  The only rifle round fired.]

Cheap pistols good enough for bad guys maybe aren't good enough for good guys.  (Could be a Taurus slogan embedded in there.)

A Cincinnati alderman was on TV noting the shame that there were not five CCW carriers there to resolve the problem BEFORE the CPD came 4:30 minutes after the first 911 call. The UNARMED bank "guards" saved some people moving then out of the miscreant's sight.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 7:37:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Got a Pt111 G2 for my girlfriend and have about 1000 rounds through it. It is a great value pistol with good capacity in a small package in 9mm which is a plus. It is not as small as the lcp sold to buy it but she can shoot this and get.more practice as it fits her hands better though I think the lcp has its place and have considered getting one again.  The G2 trigger is not bad and have been pleased so far with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top