Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/16/2023 9:37:08 PM EDT
I have not sent any data or video that convinces me that 5.7 is a good round for SD.  It has minimal power, small even with expansion,  is pretty much beaten by everything over a 22mag.  

I just do not understand this cartridge.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 9:48:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have not sent any data or video that convinces me that 5.7 is a good round for SD.  It has minimal power, small even with expansion,  is pretty much beaten by everything over a 22mag.  

View Quote

You should look at 357 Magnum. It has plenty of power and expansion and it pretty difficult to beat as it has a 97% one shot stop rate.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 9:54:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Tagged. I’ve always wanted a 5.7 but as you stated, and other than defeating body armor.
Still intriguing….
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 10:09:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You should look at 357 Magnum. It has plenty of power and expansion and it pretty difficult to beat as it has a 97% one shot stop rate.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is a one shot stop rate, and where does the 97% figure come from?

The interesting thing about 5.7x28mm, OP, is in the 28 grn loads that exceed 2200 fps from a service pistol.  That seemingly exceeds the elastic limits of flesh, which creates the large permanent wounds we see from rifle bullets, as opposed to the relatively small diameter blind holes we typically see from pistol bullets.

The 40 grn loads at 1900 fps are going to behave like small pistol hollow points, should get reliable expansion and sufficient penetration, but you've got 20 of em in the mag, and it's a very lightweight package.

And now, of course, we must invoke @PursuitSS
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 10:13:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The interesting thing about 5.7x28mm, OP, is in the 28 grn loads that exceed 2200 fps from a service pistol.  That seemingly exceeds the elastic limits of flesh, which creates the large permanent wounds we see from rifle bullets, as opposed to the relatively small diameter blind holes we typically see from pistol bullets.

The 40 grn loads at 1900 fps are going to behave like small pistol hollow points, should get reliable expansion and sufficient penetration, but you've got 20 of em in the mag, and it's a very lightweight package.

View Quote

https://www.chuckhawks.com/handgun_power_chart.htm Might be out of date, but a good place to start. Also with newer data it might be modern medical care makes a difference
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 10:27:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

https://www.chuckhawks.com/handgun_power_chart.htm Might be out of date, but a good place to start. Also with newer data it might be modern medical care makes a difference
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunately, Marshall and Sanow made up their data, so your 97% figure is a # plucked out of thin air and is meaningless.

Greg Ellerflitz, or however he spells it, may or may not have made up his data - but he never published it, so we have no idea of his study's accuracy.  Marshall and Sanow  were caught in their 2nd book w/ statistical impossibilities, IIRC.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 11:52:28 PM EDT
[#6]
@backbencher

Thank you for the response.  

Link Posted: 5/17/2023 12:40:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I like 5.7 because it’s fun to shoot and very light recoil while holding 20+ rounds.

With proper ammo it *can* defeat some armor if that’s your thing too I suppose.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 12:43:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I think the ship has sailed on Level 3A armor.  You're like as not up against Level 3 or up plates, so unless you're hauling around a 20" AR w/ M193, you're not even getting through steel Level 3 plates.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 11:19:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 11:26:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

The 5.7 was developed for the remarkable P90, which is the modern replacement for the M1carbine, and a remarkable weapon system.   The shorter BBL (lower velocity) handgun version was a specification requirement for commonality of ammunition usage.   5.7 was not developed as being a great optimized pistol round, so much as a pistol was needed, that fired in a remarkably great high-cap/low-recoil/high-effecient REMF Oh-Shit gun's optimized round - (i.e. optimized for the P90, NOT for the pistol).  

As to the current fad of 5.7 in handguns - not for me.  Capacity is higher, and it's still wicked fast and good at defeating yesterdays body armor, with the right ammo.  But for my interest, it's a remarkably expensive .22 Magnum.  Others love it, and love the very high cap.  I've shot them, they are fun to shoot - especially when someone else is buying the ammo.   unfortunately, reloading the round can be spotty, since apparently it also requires a surface coating on the brass, for optimal results - which few people are tooled up to do.  

Basically, if there were no SBR laws, and I had the ability to readily have a proper P90, at the ACTUAL price it should be, for a plastic and stamped metal gun - I'd have 2 of them right now.  But at the PS90 with the goofy 16" BBL (that isn't super easy to convert), combined with the exotic round that never really hit critical mass or economy of scale, that I can't reload, that's not IMHO an ideal pistol round....

Meh.

But if YOU have one,"Hey! let's go shooting and be sure to bring that P90!"  
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 11:27:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Another plus would be that there are some 22 LR cans that are rated for 5.7

Red
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 11:32:53 AM EDT
[#12]
I know the CMMG Banshee in 5.7 runs like a typewriter, and it shoots flat out through 125y-160y depending on ammo.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 11:36:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 12:18:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 12:27:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 12:42:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It’s EASY to reload if you aren’t lazy!

I can change the barrel in a PS90 in LESS than 10 minutes!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 5.7 was developed for the remarkable P90, which is the modern replacement for the M1carbine, and a remarkable weapon system.   The shorter BBL (lower velocity) handgun version was a specification requirement for commonality of ammunition usage.   5.7 was not developed as being a great optimized pistol round, so much as a pistol was needed, that fired in a remarkably great high-cap/low-recoil/high-effecient REMF Oh-Shit gun's optimized round - (i.e. optimized for the P90, NOT for the pistol).  

As to the current fad of 5.7 in handguns - not for me.  Cacity is higher, and it's still wicket fast and good at defeating yesterdays body armor, with the right ammo.  But for my interested, it's a remarkably expensive .22 Magnum.  Others love it, and love the very high cap.  I've shot them, they are fun to shoot - especially when someone else is buying the ammo.   unfortuantely, reloading the round can be spotty, since apparently it also requires a surface coating on the brass, for optimal results - which few people are tooled up to do.  

Basically, if there were no SBR laws, and I had the ability to readily have a proper P90, at the ACTUAL price it should be, for a plastic and stamped metal gun - I'd have 2 of them right now.  But at the PS90 with the goofy 16" BBL (that isn't super easy to convert), combined with the exotic round that never really hit critical mass or economy of scale, that I can't reload, that's not IMHO an ideal pistol round....

Meh.

But if YOU have one,"Hey! let's go shooting and be sure to bring that P90!"  

It’s EASY to reload if you aren’t lazy!

I can change the barrel in a PS90 in LESS than 10 minutes!

Hey!  Let's you and I go shooting.  And be sure to bring that P90!
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 1:22:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
They conveniently didn’t include GOOD 5.7 Ammunition!
View Quote

You mean the limited production run, incredibly expensive or illegal ammunition?   Meanwhile, I can get dozens of quality proven, hollowpoint 9mm loads (for example) anywhere for less and it will actually work in a compact or subcompact handgun

I don't give a flip about this magic bullet vs that magic bullet, I don't care if the thing is made out of milk chocolate.  It's stiil a 40 gr or less bullet at 30 carbine  velocities. There is a reason a lot of guides and hunting leases do not allow 5.7 for anything other than varmit hunting.

While we are at it, I was always curious about the obsessive "it works against body armor!!!! " claims.  So?  

The only folks wearing body armor on a daily basis is LE or .mil (or in some cities, EMS)

Don't get me wrong. 5.7 would be pretty much the ultimate lightweight varmit cartridge. Put the thing in a Mini-Mauser action and I'll be first in line to buy one. The new Ruger carbine would be nice in that role too. (I could put a hell of a lot of hurt on jackrabbits with one)
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 1:52:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You mean the limited production run, incredibly expensive or illegal ammunition?   Meanwhile, I can get dozens of quality proven, hollowpoint 9mm loads (for example) anywhere for less and it will actually work in a compact or subcompact handgun

I don't give a flip about this magic bullet vs that magic bullet, I don't care if the thing is made out of milk chocolate.  It's stiil a 40 gr or less bullet at 30 carbine  velocities. There is a reason a lot of guides and hunting leases do not allow 5.7 for anything other than varmit hunting.

While we are at it, I was always curious about the obsessive "it works against body armor!!!! " claims.  So?  

The only folks wearing body armor on a daily basis is LE or .mil (or in some cities, EMS)

Don't get me wrong. 5.7 would be pretty much the ultimate lightweight varmit cartridge. Put the thing in a Mini-Mauser action and I'll be first in line to buy one. The new Ruger carbine would be nice in that role too. (I could put a hell of a lot of hurt on jackrabbits with one)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  They conveniently didn’t include GOOD 5.7 Ammunition!

Crooks have been known to wear body armor.  Cops have been known to be crooks, even murderers.  A FW cop just went down for murdering a woman in her own house when he went traipsing through her backyard.

Do tell about this illegal 5.7x28mm ammunition.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 1:59:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 2:01:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Crooks have been known to wear body armor.  Cops have been known to be crooks, even murderers.  A FW cop just went down for murdering a woman in her own house when he went traipsing through her backyard.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  They conveniently didn’t include GOOD 5.7 Ammunition!

?   There are a lot of examples to use.  That was an odd one.  It wasn't Murder in the classic sense of F'that Guy I'm gonna Kill Him!  So much as manslaughter and grossly bad decision making.  If that cop had 15 seconds and a more accurate situation assessment, he wouldn't have shot.  Making it manslaughter - to which he needs to be held to task - but not "murder", so much in my book. But then, I don't think Alec Baldwin did "murder" either.  And, in that FW example, if she had a 5.7, and shot him, and it penetrated his armor - she'd be on death row right now.  And everyone here would be high-fiving over it.  

Lots of other potential examples, but I wouldn't have selected that one.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 2:03:30 PM EDT
[#21]
I got into 5.7 for my SBR PS90.
It's my car-surrounded-by-rioterszombies gun.
Small, relatively light, 50rd, one hand operation if necessary.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 2:05:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

The  "good stuff" that 5.7 guys always gas on about and that FN will not sell you.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 2:12:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The  "good stuff" that 5.7 guys always gas on about and that FN will not sell you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:    Crooks have been known to wear body armor.  Cops have been known to be crooks, even murderers.  A FW cop just went down for murdering a woman in her own house when he went traipsing through her backyard.

Are you saying that the legacy 5.7x28mm ammo still on the market is illegal?
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 2:19:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

FN won't sell civilians SS190.
It's made for punching armor but doesn't have the best terminal ballistics.
Its not illegal and can be found on Gunbroker, though stupid expensive.

Elite/Vanguard etc make decent defense rounds that will still punch IIIa.
PSA (AAC) is getting into the game and I'm curious what they come up with.

I only have a 5.7 pistol because i have a PS90 SBR.
Otherwise i would probably not be in the caliber.
But 24-31 rd of hot intermediate caliber in a concealable 100yd handgun is pretty cool.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 2:28:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 7:23:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From the discredited "Strasbourg" goat-shooting tests. Can't believe that's still being used by some as a measurement of alleged "lethality."
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 8:10:30 PM EDT
[#27]
The PS90 is unique and fun to shoot, that's all the reason I need.  I'm not kicking in doors with one in my hands.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 9:02:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

From the discredited "Strasbourg" goat-shooting tests. Can't believe that's still being used by some as a measurement of alleged "lethality."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  I have not sent any data or video that convinces me that 5.7 is a good round for SD.  It has minimal power, small even with expansion,  is pretty much beaten by everything over a 22mag.  

No, lol, that was the next column over.  The 97% came from Marshall & Sanow.  It was easy to bamboozle people before the interwebz.  Now you need coordinated action between nation-states & the UN.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 10:17:12 PM EDT
[#29]
What did they intend this gun for?!?! M&P 5.7
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 10:31:46 PM EDT
[#30]
@Buffman_Lt1
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 11:31:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
@Buffman_Lt1
View Quote
I would say your standard 5.7 SS197SR and now the Gold Dot (they neutered the load and poorly redesigned it) give you terminal ballistics close to low end JHP 9mm. You'll get penetration depths, but smaller permanent wound cavities.  You can slide the performance to "rifle like" wounding with SS198LF from the pistol, but it's a very limited risk bullet because Europeans designed it :) You'll see 8-10" MAX with SS192/195/198. The same goes for SS190. SS190 basically becomes an SRT and or Level III plate requirement as it will destroy many panels of IIIA. However it's penetration is limited to 10-12".  AAC's Vmax load at the warmer velocity gives us the better penetration depths and expansion that the original Gold Dot did.  Granted the Vmax bullet design may not be best for barriers.

Many have found a copper segmented solid (to keep the bullet long and weight down) bullets at sub 34gr to be preferred in this caliber. They can get upwards of 2300-2400+ fps from the pistol. Penetration depths of the VG BDF, and T6B are 16-18"+. 20-24 rds of that in a low recoiling package doesn't sound bad to me. It's always odd to me that people seem to detract from 5.7 because "Low volume niche specialty ammo", but I certainly don't recommend people trust a Aguila, Fiocchi, WWB JHP for self defense. I recommend the cream of the crop; HST, Ranger T, Gold Dot. Economy of scale comes into play, and there's WAY more 9mm in the world.

You can buy a Rock for $600 that so far in my testing performs every bit as good as the FSN. Is it's ammo still 3X 9mm, yep.  Am I hopeful that AAC will come out with a more economical SD/PP load in 5.7, yes I am.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 1:42:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Not everything has to be used for SD. Competition & variety is good for the consumer.

Some firearms can just be fun to shoot at the range.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 1:43:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The PS90 is unique and fun to shoot, that's all the reason I need.  I'm not kicking in doors with one in my hands.
View Quote

Exactly. Love mine too & my PSA Rock is also fun to shoot. No other reason needed to own it
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 6:37:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Energy foot pound wise, it is far more powerful than .380 and close to, but not, 9mm performance. Pistol will not achieve velocities capable of inducing hydrostatic shock. Does dump a considerable amount of energy and wound cavities are very impressive, but penetration is not great.  Some will argue that is good as all energy is dumped into the target, and does not just pass through.

Think it is a fine choice for home defense where recoil is an issue (e.g. Ez Rack 380 market). Recoil is almost nonexistent, and much lower, to me, than a Sig P365-380 or Ruger Security 380. Low chance of over penetration would be a bonus in urban situations, family homes, especially apartments/houses with drywall.  Follow up shots are remarkably fast, swarm of bees approach, so if multiple intruders might be a concern-could be a good choice.  It is loud as hell and has a lot of muzzle flash, so a 22 can would help inside (still would be supersonic).

5.7 pistols are very large platforms as caliber requires longer barrels to reach high velocity/ grip is large to accommodate length of round-- so concealed carry would not be practical for most.  Good car/truck pistol in urban areas where there might be a potential need for a “swarm of bees” to meet a swarm —especially where a rifle or pdw might not be practical.

There are no magic 5.7 loads.  That is part of the hype.  Some of the small loaders do offer rounds with superior performance than factory and they do achieve lower 9mm energy levels and 3A penetration.  Whether the increased cost of those specialty loads is worth it is really is an individual cost/benefit decision.  But the extreme claims about “magic loads,” especially by one particular re-loader, is really just plain old puffery.   Factory loads, especially SS195LF, and SS198LF will achieve velocities between 2050-2200 ft with a 27gr bullet, penetrate 3A (especially 198lf), and would be more than adequate for most situations where 5.7 would be the right tool.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 6:50:50 PM EDT
[#35]
And then there's this little guy.  If you think about it, they're both kinda weak .22cal bullet shooters  

https://www.hightowerarmory.com/High-Tower-Armory-9022-Black_p_28.html

SBR it, and you'll have a .22LR P90.

CCI Stinger .22LR: 141 ft-lb.
5.7 FN: 400 ft-lb
(.22 Magnum : 300 ft-lb)

So the 5.7 definitely wins there.  Ah well.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 7:07:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Sometimes my hand gives me some trouble.  A lifetime of manual labor can do that.  I have already dropped down to .38 Super/9x19mm/.38 Special.  The 5.7 fits in here well, except for CC.

I never understood why Stargate SG-1 used P-90s and Berettas.  If I had to walk and carry a P-90 and a pistol plus ammo, I would prefer the lighter 5.7 pistol.  

Anyway, I like it, DVC, hey, 2 out of 3 ain’t bad.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 8:04:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Because a psa rock is only $400 this weekend OP!  Im gonna grab one....probably.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 8:35:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Energy foot pound wise, it is far more powerful than .380 and close to, but not, 9mm performance. Pistol will not achieve velocities capable of inducing hydrostatic shock. Does dump a considerable amount of energy and wound cavities are very impressive, but penetration is not great.  Some will argue that is good as all energy is dumped into the target, and does not just pass through.

Think it is a fine choice for home defense where recoil is an issue (e.g. Ez Rack 380 market). Recoil is almost nonexistent, and much lower, to me, than a Sig P365-380 or Ruger Security 380. Low chance of over penetration would be a bonus in urban situations, family homes, especially apartments/houses with drywall.  Follow up shots are remarkably fast, swarm of bees approach, so if multiple intruders might be a concern-could be a good choice.  It is loud as hell and has a lot of muzzle flash, so a 22 can would help inside (still would be supersonic).

5.7 pistols are very large platforms as caliber requires longer barrels to reach high velocity/ grip is large to accommodate length of round-- so concealed carry would not be practical for most.  Good car/truck pistol in urban areas where there might be a potential need for a “swarm of bees” to meet a swarm —especially where a rifle or pdw might not be practical.

There are no magic 5.7 loads.  That is part of the hype.  Some of the small loaders do offer rounds with superior performance than factory and they do achieve lower 9mm energy levels and 3A penetration.  Whether the increased cost of those specialty loads is worth it is really is an individual cost/benefit decision.  But the extreme claims about “magic loads,” especially by one particular re-loader, is really just plain old puffery.   Factory loads, especially SS195LF, and SS198LF will achieve velocities between 2050-2200 ft with a 27gr bullet, penetrate 3A (especially 198lf), and would be more than adequate for most situations where 5.7 would be the right tool.
View Quote

It would seem some of the aftermarket 27 grn loads exceed 2300 fps from a pistol, but you're claiming they still won't cause a rifle type wound?
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 9:16:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 9:40:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

2,400 fps from a pistol WILL achieve hydrostatic shock (Elite Ammunition S4M)

16” PLUS penetration is “not good”?

You better look at Elite Ammunition’s S4 or S4M loads, also Elite Ammunition’s T6B

R&R Weaponry’s R37.X went through a Level IIIA panel and then continued 16” into ballistic gell
View Quote

I have.  I gave a pretty detailed response to your alert about Elite Ammo. Ran down a wide variety of loads from a lot of different makers.  Think you will find other independents have not duplicated Elite's hyper velocity claims.  

Always good to look at more than one source.  Especially when performance that would very likely have to exceed Sami pressure limits are made for a reloaded round.

Think 5.7 is a very capable for certain purpose/situations.  I do respectfully disagree with the hyper performance claims.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 10:09:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I have.  I gave a pretty detailed response to your alert about Elite Ammo. Ran down a wide variety of loads from a lot of different makers.  Think you will find other independents have not duplicated Elite's hyper velocity claims.  

Always good to look at more than one source.  Especially when performance that would very likely have to exceed Sami pressure limits are made for a reloaded round.

Think 5.7 is a very capable for certain purpose/situations.  I do respectfully disagree with the hyper performance claims.
View Quote

Buffman_LT1 is a pretty good source and I really enjoy calling him into the 5.7 threads

ETA looks like I already did…
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 12:24:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Buffman_LT1 is a pretty good source and I really enjoy calling him into the 5.7 threads

ETA looks like I already did  
View Quote
I'm able to get 2375 fps or upwards of 2,450 from the S4 variants. EA I think finally revised his listings to 2,500 from the 28gr variants.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 7:37:50 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'm able to get 2375 fps or upwards of 2,450 from the S4 variants. EA I think finally revised his listings to 2,500 from the 28gr variants.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
I routinely hit 2375-2400 fps with S4.

Any ideas on why others are currently getting much less than those velocities?  

Even if others are wrong, and the mid end of your numbers is used, around 350ft lbs?   Not exactly hyper performance for $3 a round reloads. (He pulls factory SS195, and reuses the FN brass, primer and bullet correct?)

Think you are aware of the level of sophistication of this reloader, including the lack of pressure testing.  Sami pressure spec is 50.000 psi. Have you gotten his claimed extreme   velocity numbers from the much hyped “T6” variants out of a handgun? Math of the claimed velocities and resulting pressure does not reconcile with an in spec load….

Not a lot of polymer to protect a person from 51,000psi should an over-pressure of a reload occur.

Lot of colorful info out there about that company/reloader for people to draw their own conclusions. Think he is banned here-- like he has been from a number of other forums?

I would not recommend but some seem to really like that flavor of Kool-Aid.    
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 8:06:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 8:23:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Even if others are wrong, and the mid end of your numbers is used, around 350ft lbs?   Not exactly hyper performance for $3 a round reloads. (He pulls factory SS195, and reuses the FN brass, primer and bullet correct?)

Think you are aware of the level of sophistication of this reloader, including the lack of pressure testing.  Sami pressure spec is 50.000 psi. Have you gotten his claimed extreme   velocity numbers from the much hyped “T6” variants out of a handgun? Math of the claimed velocities and resulting pressure does not reconcile with an in spec load….

Not a lot of polymer to protect a person from 51,000psi should an over-pressure of a reload occur.

Lot of colorful info out there about that company/reloader for people to draw their own conclusions. Think he is banned here-- like he has been from a number of other forums?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
I routinely hit 2375-2400 fps with S4.

The high velocity 28 grn loads are fascinating not b/c of their energy, but how they use that energy.  Normal pistol rounds from 200-500 ft lbs are typically cutting a blind hole up to the maximum diameter of the expanded hollow point.  Above 2000-2200 fps, we are seemingly exceeding the elastic limit of flesh, and are getting a much larger permanent wound channel for a given amount of energy.

I think the jury is still out - I'd love to see someone go shoot a lot of hogs w/ some 28 grn loads from various 5.7 pistols, but it's not exactly a popular hog round yet.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 8:59:17 AM EDT
[#46]
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26470704/#article-details

"Conclusions: The bullet's construction and ballistic behavior within tissue determine to what extent the previously overestimated velocity factor may influence wound severity. The damage produced from temporary cavitation depends on the tensile properties of the tissues involved, and in high-energy injuries may lead to progressive muscle tissue necrosis. Therefore, the term "high-energy" should be reserved for those injuries with substantial tissue damage extending beyond the visible wound tract.

Do agree the jury may be out, but velocity alone, which is promoted by the hyper performance proponents,  is not the be all end all factor.  

It is a capable round.  Just not magic.  

Would be great to see a Buffman hog hunt, but doubt Youtube would allow that.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 11:10:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 11:49:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I averaged 2,410 out of ten shots using a friend’s chronograph.

Are you going to call ME a LIAR!!!
View Quote

Don't name call.  Prefer to look at facts.  Let's assume your numbers are correct, others people's results aren't.  

What is your basis for believing the 27gr. (or 28) projectile made by FN  not Elite,  pushed to 2400ft, automatically results in rifle like cavitation?

BTW you seem to have missed the full quote " previously overestimated "velocity factor," and have mistakenly focused on velocity alone.  That, in my opinion, is the gap in the evidence those in the hyper performance camp don't address.  All that is ever offered is velocity numbers, and not proof of actual cavitation.  Velocity alone is not determinative.

Always open to considering additional facts/info if you have any to share.  I have never seen any actual evidence of rifle like cavitation from a handgun by that re-loader, or anyone else.  Be more than happy to consider any evidence demonstrating  "substantial tissue damage extending beyond the visible wound tract" if you have any.

Link Posted: 5/27/2023 12:06:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 12:40:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
IF you would bother to watch Buffmans videos on YouTube you would get your answers!!!

BTW, anything over 2,000 fps is in hydrostatic range....!
View Quote

I have seen some of Buffman's videos. Good for what they are, I won't try to speak for him, but I don't think even he would argue that what he does are tests designed to determine cavitation of tissue adjacent to a wound track.

Seems you are firmly in the velocity is all that matters camp.  There are other views, and evidence, that velocity alone is not determinative . What is the evidence you rely on to support your conclusion that anything pushed over 2000 ft automatically equals cavitation/hydrostatic shock?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top