Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2020 9:45:11 AM EDT
I have a Colt 1908 that I would like to fully customize (I actually bought it off the EE here many years ago).  I reached out to Cylinder and Slide (since they built up a .45 ACP 1908--which is one of the coolest pistols in the world), and they don't do much custom work beyond sights and refinishing.   I've been referred to multiple gunsmiths who have given me other referrals, but so far no one has wanted to take on the work.  I am in absolutely no hurry and am willing to wait and pay for a true craftsman/artisan to come up with something special.  Thought I would post here in case anyone might know an old-timer or new up and comer who knows the platform well and is looking for a fun challenge.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 10:04:53 AM EDT
[#1]
have you tried Turnbull Restoration Company?
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 11:14:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lokltrkr:
have you tried Turnbull Restoration Company?
View Quote

I sure have--they politely declined the work but talked to their lead 'smith who gave me a bunch of referrals.  So far I've reached out to most of them.  One of them said he wasn't taking on any new work.  Still waiting to hear back from a few others.  I even talked to Dan Batchelor, who is president of the US pistolsmiths association.  He pointed me to none other than Ted Yost.  I reached out to him and he was really really a nice guy in his response.  It was just a project he wasn't able to take on.  If nothing else I've gotten in touch with some really nice folks in the craft and have seen some really awesome examples of work from people I didn't know about.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 6:07:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe Greg Derr? He does 1911s exclusively but maybe he would take it on.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 6:09:35 PM EDT
[#4]
What are you going to have done?
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 9:02:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Bigred200e:
Maybe Greg Derr? He does 1911s exclusively but maybe he would take it on.
View Quote

I actually did talk to him!  He's one of the candidates that I'm considering.

@TradWoodsman I'm looking to fully build it up--accurize, do some rounding and refinishing, ensure it's reliable but the big thing is I want an ambi safety/slide stop constructed.  I am left-handed.  This seems to be the sticking point with most of the smiths I've spoken with.  They recommend not doing it due to the expense in fabbing it up.  Some wouldn't even consider it.  I am willing to pay for what would probably be the only ambi-safety 1908 in existence.  But most of the folks I've spoken with say it just wouldn't be worth it due to too many unknowns and the cost could rise considerably.  

The safety/slide stop looks pretty straightforward but from what I understand the pin holding it is super hard, and so would be difficult to tap/drill out.  It would also require some mods to the frame (and slide) to get the weak side of the safety to stick.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 12:17:07 PM EDT
[#6]
It's one of my favorite handguns....slim, handy. I have always thought in 9mm it would still be a viable carry gun
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 1:51:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By TradWoodsman:
It's one of my favorite handguns....slim, handy. I have always thought in 9mm it would still be a viable carry gun
View Quote

Yeah I agree!  Would love to see one in 9mm or similar.  Have you seen the C&S .45 ACP build up?

https://cylinder-slide.com/Item/CSP900

Link Posted: 5/13/2020 7:42:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Boognish:

Yeah I agree!  Would love to see one in 9mm or similar.  Have you seen the C&S .45 ACP build up?

https://cylinder-slide.com/Item/CSP900

https://cylinder-slide.com/media/ecom/prodxl/DSCN6069.JPG
View Quote

No I had not....awesome...
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 5:30:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Please keep us posted.  I have a 1908 in .380 ACP.  The thumb safety is loose as in it will not stay engaged.  I would like to find out how to tighten it or send it to someone for tightening.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 9:14:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Please keep us posted.  I have a 1908 in .380 ACP.  The thumb safety is loose as in it will not stay engaged.  I would like to find out how to tighten it or send it to someone for tightening.
View Quote

I've talked to a TON of smiths since I posted this.  I decided to work with Greg Derr to customize the 1908 and a lightweight commander of mine--still waiting on a final quote from him (and I'm preparing myself for the sticker shock!).  Almost no one would touch the Amib safety on the 1908.  However, I did run across a few smiths that seemed to know them pretty well @Pantexan PM me and I can send you a couple of references.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top