Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2020 7:32:26 PM EDT
Look at the "Made in Belgium" rollmarks on the right side of the slide.
1. I've never seen all caps on the "made in Belgium" rollmarks
2. It looks like the letter M and A are smaller
3. It looks like the lettering was engraved, not rollmarked....and looks in the white as well.
4. Left side looks suspect as well.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 7:46:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Check the serial number. It will tell you a lot what, does 245 mean?  What year was it made? What year did the change from Made in B to Assembled in P.  See if slide has been machined. Look at a real MIB and see if they are identical in font and location. The front and rear of the ejection port are buffed all to hell. I wouldn’t buy it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 7:54:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check the serial number. It will tell you a lot what does 245 mean?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It will literally tell you nothing.
245 is just the serial number prefix.

What year was it made?

Don't care, its not relevant to my question.

What year did the change from Made in B to Assembled in P.  

Again, not relevant. Only the Hi Powers imported by Browning have "Assembled in Portugal" rollmarks.

Cant see the detail well enough to
See if slide has been machined.

Fuzzy photos for sure, but the fonts are wrong.

Look at a real MIB and see if they are identical in font and location.  

I have over a dozen HP's and none have that style of lettering.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 7:56:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok then, don’t buy it. WTF.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 7:56:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't recall seeing HiPower roll marks like that.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 7:57:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 8:02:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Again, not relevant. Only the Hi Powers imported by Browning have "Assembled in Portugal" rollmarks.

View Quote

If you know so much, and don't care about questions relevant to the validity of the piece, why'd you ask?
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 8:04:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Or it could be some super rare pistol. The BHP is on my want list and I don’t know shit about them yet. I find these threads very useful. Thanks OP
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 8:08:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If you know so much, and don't care about questions relevant to the validity of the piece, why'd you ask?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't ask a question about the serial # did I?

When someone posts:
Quoted:

"It will tell you a lot" followed by "what does 245 mean?"...............indicates
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 8:10:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, you pointed out all the issues you saw wrong with it. Stevie Wonder could see them.  I was trying to help. Good luck.  JFC.

Oh. And by the way.

1976-1997. In 1975 Browning standardized its serial number identification which it followed until 1998. 1. Hi-Power Type: 245=9mm. 2.May 14, 2008

You know BHP made in 30 cal for European and S American market, and 40 cal for a while, right?
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 8:14:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 8:35:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Just looked at mine, it is like this:

MADE IN BELGUIM
ASSEMBLED IN PORTUGAL
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 8:37:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think it's an assembled in Portugal gun that was scrubbed and cold blued.

View Quote

On mine that would be hard to do as the two lines are very close to each other and are stamped equally deep.
Don't think that would be possible based on mine.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 8:38:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I think it's an assembled in Portugal gun that was scrubbed and cold blued.

View Quote

Me too.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 8:39:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Just looked at mine, it is like this:

MADE IN BELGUIM
ASSEMBLED IN PORTUGAL
View Quote

Thats all I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 8:42:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

On mine that would be hard to do as the two lines are very close to each other and are stamped equally deep.
Don't think that would be possible based on mine.
View Quote

I think he means all markings were scrubbed. The left side markings are equally odd.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 9:05:45 PM EDT
[#16]
The all with the Portugal markings is utter crap! Here is my HP that I bought NIB years ago.

Link Posted: 10/1/2020 9:39:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The all with the Portugal markings is utter crap! Here is my HP that I bought NIB years ago.

View Quote

You misunderstand.
1. Not all FN/Browning Hi Powers are marked "Made in Belgium Assembled in Portugal" because it wasn't until the 1971 that FN began using its facility in Portugal to do final assembly. That assembly facility cranked out HP's for decades before someone at Browning thought it a good idea to add "assembled in Portugal.
2. While those imported by Browning were the only ones "Made in Belgium Assembled in Portugal", those not imported by Browning were still assembled in Portugal.
3. Plenty of Browning HP's were assembled in Portugal but not rollmarked Assembled in Portugal.
4. FN made runs of slides by the thousands, storing them until needed, so rollmarks may have been made years before the frame and vice versa.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 10:04:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Well, you pointed out all the issues you saw wrong with it. Stevie Wonder could see them.  I was trying to help. Good luck.  JFC.

Oh. And by the way.

1976-1997. In 1975 Browning standardized its serial number identification which it followed until 1998. 1. Hi-Power Type: 245=9mm. 2.May 14, 2008

You know BHP made in 30 cal for European and S American market, and 40 cal for a while, right?
View Quote

No shit Sherlock. I've been collecting Hi Powers since around 1980.
Again, my question has fuck all to do with the serial# or caliber.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 10:43:16 PM EDT
[#19]
To me, the pictures look like an FEG Browning Hi Power clone that has had the slide sanded, refinished, and remarked.  I've owned a few FEG's, but don't have one now to compare, but I remember the stock grips being prouder / thicker than the browning version, and those pics look like the thicker, cheaper FEG wood grips.  The checkering on the grips is also lower quality than what I've typically seen on Hi Powers.  I'd pass.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 11:02:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 11:06:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You misunderstand.
1. Not all FN/Browning Hi Powers are marked "Made in Belgium Assembled in Portugal" because it wasn't until the 1971 that FN began using its facility in Portugal to do final assembly. That assembly facility cranked out HP's for decades before someone at Browning thought it a good idea to add "assembled in Portugal.
2. While those imported by Browning were the only ones "Made in Belgium Assembled in Portugal", those not imported by Browning were still assembled in Portugal.
3. Plenty of Browning HP's were assembled in Portugal but not rollmarked Assembled in Portugal.
4. FN made runs of slides by the thousands, storing them until needed, so rollmarks may have been made years before the frame and vice versa.
View Quote

Ok, run my serial number I believe it is from the 1980's. Should it not say assembled in Portugal?

ETA: Looked it up 1987
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 11:08:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
OP, I’m not sure what “answer” you’re hoping for,
View All Quotes
Quoted:
OP, I’m not sure what “answer” you’re hoping for,

I was wondering who had seen an HP with that same/similiar markings.

Here’s the font/size/placement on my 245 prefix HP though. Definitely looks way different.

I know. Thats normal.

Link Posted: 10/1/2020 11:11:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Ok, run my serial number I believe it is from the 1980's. Should it not say assembled in Portugal?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You misunderstand.

Read what I wrote.
Again, only Browning Arms HP's have the "Assembled in Portugal" rollmarks.....but no were did I write that ALL Browning Arms HP's have them.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 11:13:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:37:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yeah, normal for 1993. But what advantage would someone have in remarking one as if it were a 1980 manufacture? Aren't there actual rare dates that would have had more of a reason to reproduce?
View Quote

No idea.
Its obviously not an attempt to "fake" a rare or collectible pistol because it so damn crudely done.
I wonder if it was a generic slide from who knows where and the importer decided he need to mark it to get it in the US.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:59:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 10:09:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Read what I wrote.
Again, only Browning Arms HP's have the "Assembled in Portugal" rollmarks.....but no were did I write that ALL Browning Arms HP's have them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You misunderstand.

Read what I wrote.

Ok, misunderstood your statement. That said I wonder why some are marked like that and some like mine are not within the same time span?
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 11:59:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Well Einstein, you said the 245 means nothing, it’s just a prefix. I showed where it means 9mm since they were made in other calibers. Are you ok? Put down the crack pipe, or go to bed or something. You’re just trying to be a hard ass. Just go back down in the basement and lighten up.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 5:32:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Well Einstein, you said the 245 means nothing, it’s just a prefix.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Well Einstein, you said the 245 means nothing, it’s just a prefix.

It is.

I showed where it means 9mm since they were made in other calibers.

Yet there are literally millions of 9mm Hi Powers in 9mm that do not have the 245 prefix. See why i said it was meaningless in the context of this thread.

Are you ok? Put down the crack pipe, or go to bed or something.

GTFO

You’re just trying to be a hard ass.

But, I'm not a dumb ass.

Just go back down in the basement and lighten up.

I'm in Texas, we ain't gots basements.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 5:40:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Oh a couple of years ago I recall reading of FEG faked bhp's, so likely that is what we are looking at with this specimen.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 5:41:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Oh a couple of years ago I recall reading of FEG faked bhp's, so likely that is what we are looking at with this specimen.
View Quote

I've seen those. Usually they are easily identified by a serial# prefix that FN didn't use.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 10:12:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Whatever this is, it isn’t a Browning Hi-Power.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 10:32:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Read what I wrote.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You misunderstand.

Read what I wrote.

About that...

Link Posted: 10/3/2020 10:40:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Yeah, doesn't look right to me either.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 11:46:57 AM EDT
[#35]

Again, the only Hi Powers you will find with "Assembled in Portugal" on the slide are those imported by Browning Arms.

It doesn't mean all Hi Powers imported by Browning Arms have "Assembled in Portugal" because that clearly is not the case. It means the FN HP's imported by Cassi, Howco, FNMI and others DO NOT have or ever had "Assembled in Portugal" stamped on them.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 8:58:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Based on the serial number it is 1980 manufacture. No, none of that font looks right to me either. I have several Hi Powers and have owned many more. As the poster above stated I believe it to be one of the FEG clones.
Here is my 1980 but a much earlier serial number.

Here is my 1986 Hi Power.

Here is my 1989 Hi Power.

Link Posted: 10/14/2020 2:17:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
To me, the pictures look like an FEG Browning Hi Power clone that has had the slide sanded, refinished, and remarked.  I've owned a few FEG's, but don't have one now to compare, but I remember the stock grips being prouder / thicker than the browning version, and those pics look like the thicker, cheaper FEG wood grips.  The checkering on the grips is also lower quality than what I've typically seen on Hi Powers.  I'd pass.
View Quote

That's was what I was thinking when I saw that auction before this thread.  I've never seen one of the supposed "fake" Hi Powers, but the font and size of the roll marks on this gun are what kept me from bidding on it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 12:43:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Well it sold to someone who could care less :-)

Link Posted: 10/15/2020 5:29:14 PM EDT
[#39]
An example of "how not to act in tech forums".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top