BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2020 9:15:32 PM EDT
My C96 broke and I need this fixed.

Link Posted: 3/24/2020 9:31:00 PM EDT
[#1]
@grey50beast
@KaiK

But seriously, that does not look like a fun repair.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 9:34:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Check with a experienced welder it looks like it
is cast metal.  I think it can be welded but not very easy.  That's about all I know about it from working
around industrial repairs and parts
 Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 9:41:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks cast.

Ouchies, difficult, if not dang near impossible to do right.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 9:50:18 PM EDT
[#4]
if it can't be welded, have the entire piece scanned and remanufactured if possible?  barring it isn't something with a serial number on it
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 10:53:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
if it can't be welded, have the entire piece scanned and remanufactured if possible?  barring it isn't something with a serial number on it
View Quote

Crap it is a numbered part. It's a C96 Mauser made in the early 1900's. I would not have thought they were casting metal parts for guns in Germany then?

Link Posted: 3/25/2020 12:15:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I doubt seriously its cast. Given its age it's probably a forged and machined part.
Of all the parts to break on a broomhandle that's gonna be a bitch to fix. I'd suggest finding a donor gun and swap in a replacement part. Thor340 to the white courtesy phone please.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 1:13:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I think it was Atlantic firearms had a lot of parts for those.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 2:45:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I doubt seriously its cast. Given its age it's probably a forged and machined part.
Of all the parts to break on a broomhandle that's gonna be a bitch to fix. I'd suggest finding a donor gun and swap in a replacement part. Thor340 to the white courtesy phone please.
View Quote

It takes very good images to tell a cast fracture from a forged fracture.
Sometimes even x-rays.

Any repair seriously degrades collector value.
Many guns have "numbered parts" using the guns serial number (or a few digits of it).
It rarely matters in the USA (beyond collector value) since BATFE will have declared
ONE single part to be the 'gun' and all the other pieces 'parts.'
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 3:16:48 PM EDT
[#9]
How much force is exerted in that area? Maybe a good welder could silver solder the part.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 5:29:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How much force is exerted in that area? Maybe a good welder could silver solder the part.
View Quote
Quite a bit I think since it stops the upper from recoiling. The gun was a Mitchell Mauser relined to 9mm. Might just sell it as a basket case as I would expect that parts will need to be fitted. Only have $500 or so in it, pretty sure I'll get more out of it broken than what I have in it.

Link Posted: 4/9/2020 2:25:59 PM EDT
[#11]
looks like Numrich has one in stock for around $68, but it look like there are 3 variations, which are list listed as part #19a,b, or c. It looks like yours is 19a (which is what they have in stock). Product number 598080.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 12:45:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Just say this on rimfire central that Pullmanarms.com does micro welding.  Maybe what you need.  Never heard of micro welding but would be interesting to learn about from them.  Good luck
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 12:55:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Find someone who does TIG or HeliArch
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 5:16:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Find someone who does TIG or HeliArch
View Quote

The part has enough thickness it is going to take a LOT of
prep work and metal removal to get a large enough gap for good penetration.

Just doing it from the outside with essentially zero gap is not going to be all that solid.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top