Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2018 8:42:28 PM EDT
Looking to get a new pistol.
Looking at the MKiv 22/45.
Do the MKiv use the same scope rail mount as the MKiii?
I am left handed so the MKiv applies to me.
Is their any reason to get the MKiii or MKii over the MKiv.
Other than the take down is easier.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 9:19:53 PM EDT
[#1]
The Mark IV’s have ambidextrous safety.
I like the stainless target with threaded barrel.
I also like the Mark iv 22/45 lite series.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 8:30:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Is their any reason to get the MKiii or MKii over the MKiv.
Other than the take down is easier.
View Quote
There's more 3rd party magazine and aftermarket support for the Mk 2 and 3 just because they're older.  And they're gonna be cheaper on average than a mk 4.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 8:54:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Something l wasn't aware of until l bought my Mk lV 22/45 Lite, is be sure you get the correct generation of magazines.

None of the 22/45 magazines are compatible with the other generations.  Availability and price is the same, so it's not a problem unless you get the wrong mags.

I love my Mk ll Gov't Target Model and l love my Mk lV 22/45 Lite.  Two very different creatures.

I do like the the Mk lV 22/45 grip though over the previous generations. The Mk ll, in particular,  the group panels were molded in and the same slick materiel.  Never impressed me.  The Mk IV comes with removable rubber inserts and wooden 1911 grips can be added with minor fitting to clear the Ruger controls.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 1:25:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Do the MKiv use the same scope rail mount as the MKiii?
View Quote
My Mark IV used the same mount that came with my MKIII Hunter.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 1:44:14 PM EDT
[#5]
The older ones are easy to take apart and also easy to put back together, if you read the manual, or watch a youtube video. 
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 7:49:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I own three Mk2! A suppressor host, a long barreled target model and a 4" tapered barrel, fixed sight model with wood grips that everybody thinks is a "Luger"

I love them

Not hard to reassemble once you take the time to learn how. Fabulous, steel framed guns.

Then again, I am old not as old as those fucks who love their original standard models and MkIs but kinda old.

Personally, I can't stand the MKIII with all warnings and magazine safety

Also, I prefer the European style "heel" mag release.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 8:05:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Something l wasn't aware of until l bought my Mk lV 22/45 Lite, is be sure you get the correct generation of magazines.

None of the 22/45 magazines are compatible with the other generations.
View Quote
IDK, I bought a value pack of 22/45 MKIV magazines, and they work fine in my 22/45 MKIII.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 9:48:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
IDK, I bought a value pack of 22/45 MKIV magazines, and they work fine in my 22/45 MKIII.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

None of the 22/45 magazines are compatible with the other generations.
Okay.  Good to know.

The Mk ill mags won't fit in the Mk lV though.  Those were the ones l first picked up and found it out.

The back of the base plate is different.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 8:28:42 PM EDT
[#9]
" />

this one." />
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 7:24:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The older ones are easy to take apart and also easy to put back together, if you read the manual, or watch a youtube video. 
View Quote
Yup, they come apart in a matter of seconds once the pistols are broken in.

No big deal really.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 12:28:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No big deal really.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No big deal really.
This is the rationalization that is always used by MK1, MK2, AND MK3 owners use to justify getting the Clearly improved MKIV.

No there isn't anything wrong with the MK1 OR 2. However the MKIV is clearly an improvement in more consistent tighter manufacturing tolerances, solid billet frame, and nuch quicker easier maintenance design.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 6:28:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought the dealer exclusive mkiv (stainless threaded upper on black alloy lower) because it looks exactly like the silenced 22 pistol from fallout new vegas...just not integrally suppressed.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 9:40:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I never thought I'd want a Ruger rimfire pistol, but I just picked up a Ruger Mark IV Lite on Saturday and so far I love that gun.

I shoot rimfire pistols more than anything else. As long as it's reliable (and so far it has been 100%), I'm going to have a lot of fun with this thing.

I've only shot it with my stainless Sparrow so far. I have an EA Nyx Mod 1 coming though, I hope very soon. Can't wait to get the lightweight Nyx on there. I'm used to a pretty heavy rimfire package, which I like, but this is a fun change of pace.

Link Posted: 11/20/2018 5:32:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This is the rationalization that is always used by MK1, MK2, AND MK3 owners use to justify getting the Clearly improved MKIV.

No there isn't anything wrong with the MK1 OR 2. However the MKIV is clearly an improvement in more consistent tighter manufacturing tolerances, solid billet frame, and nuch quicker easier maintenance design.
View Quote
Based on my own experience with MKlll and MKlV pistols I disagree regarding the manufacturing tolerances and overall tightness of the MKlVs being superior and in fact, believe the opposite to be true.

The MKllls may not be billet framed, but the steel frames are indestructible.

The only advantage to the latest iteration is the push button takedown.

Personally, I prefer the feel in the hand and the tightness of the llls over the lVs.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 10:41:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I  am in love with the standard frame. Thusly, I'd say get a standard frame mkiv with a threaded 4.5" barrel. Any longer and you'll have to run standard or sub velocity ammo if'n your going to suppress it. Probably my favorite range gun.

Mine is a mkiii hunter with custom hammer bushing(does away with magazine safety and gives a crisper break) and removed loaded chamber indicator and external keyed locking mechanism. So basically the internals of a mkii but with the mag release of the mkiii. It's too much fun and 100% reliable with every ammo after i polish the mag feed lips. It's movie quiet.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 9:27:14 AM EDT
[#16]
I wish they still made the 4.5 barrel hunter.  I ended up with the 5.5 stainless target threaded.  Always been fond of Mark pistols.  Just can't bring myself to like the 22/45 though.
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 6:10:53 PM EDT
[#17]
>>Always been fond of Mark pistols. Just can't bring myself to like the 22/45 though<<

Ditto that...never could warm up to them.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 7:14:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 2:17:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Im looking to get my first 22 pistol so I can shoot for cheap.  Would I go wrong with the mark iv?
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 3:26:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Im looking to get my first 22 pistol so I can shoot for cheap.  Would I go wrong with the mark iv?
View Quote
Not at all!   It's a great pistol.

So is the Browning or the Smith&Wesson.  Or the other Ruger offerings.  Do yourself a favor and visit several shops or a gunshow and handle all of them.

The Rugers have always felt "right" to me but despite how good the Brownings really are they have never "felt" good in my hands.

Get the one the best "fits" YOU.  You'll enjoy the thing a whole lot more.

And welcome aboard!  
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 10:00:27 PM EDT
[#21]
I'll give those a look.  The Browning looks nice too.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 4:41:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Based on my own experience with MKlll and MKlV pistols I disagree regarding the manufacturing tolerances and overall tightness of the MKlVs being superior and in fact, believe the opposite to be true.

Personally, I prefer the feel in the hand and the tightness of the llls over the lVs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope MKIV's are superior.

" />
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 5:37:47 PM EDT
[#23]
The MK II was the peak of the series.  It had everything you needed and nothing that you didn't.

With a Volquartsen hammer and sear, a Mk II T-512 Target will come very close to shooting with a S&W Model 41, and you need to be a really good shot to benefit from the difference.

I'm also a fan of the Mk I.  It has a manual bolt hold open, rather than the automatic BHO, but it otherwise has everything you need.  The Mk I T-678 is another of my favorites:

Ruger MK I T-678
S&W Model 17-4
Ruger Mk II T-512

Link Posted: 3/10/2019 9:42:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The MK II was the peak of the series.  It had everything you needed and nothing that you didn't.

With a Volquartsen hammer and sear, a Mk II T-512 Target will come very close to shooting with a S&W Model 41, and you need to be a really good shot to benefit from the difference.

https://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h470/SDBB57/Rimfires/14FC2275-ED27-4E0C-B8CC-C0DEE4A07FFD-12984-000016325F24347E_zpsbb8765ad.jpg

I'm also a fan of the Mk I.  It has a manual bolt hold open, rather than the automatic BHO, but it otherwise has everything you need.  The Mk I T-678 is another of my favorites:

Ruger MK I T-678
S&W Model 17-4
Ruger Mk II T-512

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h470/SDBB57/Rimfires/IMG_9588_zpsdmcomwsn.jpg
View Quote
Question?

What is it that gives the 41 the slight edge?
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 8:53:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Question?

What is it that gives the 41 the slight edge?
View Quote
Slightly greater mechanical accuracy.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 5:39:24 PM EDT
[#26]
I have been loving picking up new to almost new mk3 22/45 lites for around $335-$350 lately.  Although the mk4 is an improvement, the older ones take just a few extra seconds to put back together.  I guess what I’m saying is if price is an issue or you already have mk3 mags like I did, the older 22/45 models are excellent.  If it was my first I’d get the new mk4 gold 22/44 lite.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 10:49:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Slightly greater mechanical accuracy.
View Quote
Thanks, DakotaFAL

Do you have an opinion on what attributed to the slightly greater mechanical accuracy going to the S&W 41?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top