Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2018 1:39:52 AM EDT
Planning to pick up a Ruger Mark IV Tactical for my birthday, and the thing seems to just be screaming for a red dot sight. I'm not looking to spent a bunch of money on glass for a .22lr that will mostly be used as a suppressed plinker. However, I used to enjoy (and be pretty good at) Steel Challenge, and I have considered getting back into that as my kids get older.

Options I've been considering:
Burris Fastfire 3 (3 MOA dot or 8 MOA dot)
Vortex Venom (3 MOA dot or 6 MOA dot)
Primary Arms Micro Dot (2 MOA dot)

The PA dot is about half the street price of the other options. I'm mainly considering it because I have one on my wife's M&P 15-22 that's held up well over a few years of use, and I might use it as a "take off" and upgrade the red dot on that rifle instead.

Is the larger dot and more open / tubeless design of the Burris or Vortex a significant advantage when used on pistols?
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 2:33:20 AM EDT
[#1]
PA Advanced Push button Microdot. I have the new model with the dial, but I prefer the push button model. I ran this dot hard on an AK with ultimak rail and it's still running great.

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-advanced-micro-dot-with-push-buttons-and-up-to-50k-hour-battery-life-md-ads
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 10:40:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got the 3 MOA Venom and am happy with it but the Burris' seem very popular and are at the same price point. Both the Burris and Vortex are low profile minimizing the parallax but I've never plugged it into a ballistic calculator to find out how much difference it would make between the low profile and the higher mounted PA. At plinking distances I suspect it's a minimal difference.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 12:44:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Ruger 22/45 Lite with the Vortex Venom 6 MOA dot.  I like it a lot for both use with the suppressor, and for Rimfire Steel matches. The 6 MOA dot is just a little faster for me to pick up at speed.

Good luck,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 1:09:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Almost bought the 6 MOA Venom during the 15% off sale on eBay 5/4, but held off.

Just found a good deal on a used 3 MOA Fastfire, so I'm going to go with that and see how I like it. If I decide that it's too small of a dot, I have plenty of .22lr rifles it could go on instead.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 8:44:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I've been reading up on red dots for a 22 pistol and on one of my FB groups (SW22 Victory)  the topic came up .

One of the posters is the owner of Wirtwien gun store and they do raced 22s .

The thread was discussing FF3 vs Venom for steel plate. His response:

If shooting Steel Challenge NEITHER are a good option since both have short windows,, a TALLER window is much preferred in speed shooting. If wanting the Burris we have many used ones for sale in both 3 and 8, they ALL still have full warranty and all work perfect. People trade them in for Ultradot L/T and C-More RTS2 and Railway/Slideride. If just plinking the Burris is perfect, high quality never wear it out. The Vortex, RTS2, Ultradot and many others are ALL made by Tokyo Optics in Japan, the Burris is not but still very high quality. Dot size will depend on your most common use,, the 3 moa will be about useless in Steel Challenge but better for target shooting and hunting. Steel,, bigger is better brighter is better,,
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 7:53:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I voted for the one I have; the Venom 3MOA.

Vortex has a good mil/leo discount program if you can use it.  It will take a little of the hurt off.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 6:33:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I am using both the Primary Arms dot and the Vortex Venom. On a non-reciprocating slide the larger window on the Primary Arms dot is nice Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 3:18:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's what I ended up with:

Ruger Mark IV Tactical (new)
Burris Fastfire 3 @ 3 MOA (used)
SilencerCo SS Sparrow (already had)
Surefire x300 (already had)

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 3:26:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks great! I have a Tactical Mark IV. Awesome pistol. I haven't put a dot on it yet. Just enjoying the irons and the can.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 11:09:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here's what I ended up with:

Ruger Mark IV Tactical (new)
Burris Fastfire 3 @ 3 MOA (used)
SilencerCo SS Sparrow (already had)
Surefire x300 (already had)

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/17391/20180604_113705-565933.JPG
View Quote
We should hang out!!!
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 11:18:58 AM EDT
[#11]
That looks like a great critter getter.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 5:25:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

We should hang out!!!
https://i.imgur.com/r0WLlfz.png
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 12:42:36 AM EDT
[#13]
[/URL]" />
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 1:32:49 AM EDT
[#14]
$$$ tac lights on a .22?
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 10:27:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
$$$ tac lights on a .22?
View Quote
Do you even operate?!?
J/K

I had the old plastic Streamlight just laying in the gun safe and thought why not. Although this setup would make an effective opossum-popper.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 12:13:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
$$$ tac lights on a .22?
View Quote
The great thing about the SF x300 is that it's easily swapped between my MK IV, my Glock 34, any of my rifles that have a 1" section of Picatinny rail, etc.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 12:54:56 PM EDT
[#17]
I put a DeltaPoint Pro on mine.  I took off the top rail and used the outer impact mount to get it closer to the bore.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 1:02:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Happy with my Burris Fastfire

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 1:13:24 PM EDT
[#19]
I have both microdot and a Primary Arms minidot on .22s. There is no contest. The larger widow is worlds better!Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 11:52:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
@Ditch-Tiger  @Terrato

You guys both cost me money.  i have a mk 4 on lay away so I can clone this.  I have not decided on the optic yet. I also just got a see all sight so I might deciate a bit.  Did you guys mod anything on the internals so far? Im thinking of doing a plus one extension on my mags.  And what are you using for holster. I have the tacsol available locally
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 12:00:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
@Ditch-Tiger  @Terrato

You guys both cost me money.  i have a mk 4 on lay away so I can clone this.  I have not decided on the optic yet. I also just got a see all sight so I might deciate a bit.  Did you guys mod anything on the internals so far? Im thinking of doing a plus one extension on my mags.  And what are you using for holster. I have the tacsol available locally
View Quote
@lafmedic1

I haven't modified anything on the gun, and don't really plan to. Ran about 100 rounds through it on Father's Day, and the trigger seemed perfectly acceptable to me. Not to say that it couldn't be improved upon with some aftermarket parts, but it is certainly usable, and I have other projects I'd rather spend money on.

Have not picked up a holster for it, either. If I run it in Steel Challenge, I believe the Standard Operating Procedure for rimfire pistols is to start from the low ready position anyway. I tested it with the SF x300 attached in a holster designed for a Glock 34 with an x300 attached, and it almost works, as it indexes off the light, not the gun itself. Not the most secure fit, but would probably do for just walking around in an action bay.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 11:31:04 AM EDT
[#22]
thanks!   I plan to leave the can on it so the light might have to go
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 6:31:28 PM EDT
[#23]
@lafmedic1
No mods, no holster.
I've actually only shot it a handful of times since buying it earlier this year but I've been very impressed with the amount of suppressed rounds it'll handle before having issues and then the ease of clean up. Enjoy yours!
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 9:26:07 PM EDT
[#24]
What lubricant are you using ?
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 11:39:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
@Ditch-Tiger  @Terrato

View Quote
@lafmedic1
You will likely want the Volquartsen accuracy kit. The factory trigger is long long long.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 9:26:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
$$$ tac lights on a .22?
View Quote
Hey now, there’s a darn good reason for hanging a light on a 22 pistol. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 2:15:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Hey now, there’s a darn good reason for hanging a light on a 22 pistol. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/270476/F8A797E0-7770-4340-8F63-C5D28E995349-599022.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$$$ tac lights on a .22?
Hey now, there’s a darn good reason for hanging a light on a 22 pistol. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/270476/F8A797E0-7770-4340-8F63-C5D28E995349-599022.JPG
Talk to me about those mounts
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 9:44:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Talk to me about those mounts
View Quote
I made the Fastfire3 mount on my gun and my buddy made the Aimpoint compatible mount on his.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 3:07:07 PM EDT
[#29]
I like the Ultradots. I have regular Ultradot and a Matchdot II.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 10:40:25 AM EDT
[#30]
I just bought a 3 MOA Vortex Venom for my Victory, although I have not shot it yet. After reading the post above, I wonder if I should have got the 6 MOA version. I have shot a friend's gun (9mm Springfield XD) that he uses for USPSA Carry Optics division, and his has the 3 MOA Venom, and it shoots well and I can get fast acquisition, but I have not tried the 6 MOA to compare the difference between them.

6 MOA on a 25 yard popper is about a 2" circle (did I calculate that correctly?). That is why I went with the 3 MOA.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 6:52:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I just bought a 3 MOA Vortex Venom for my Victory, although I have not shot it yet. After reading the post above, I wonder if I should have got the 6 MOA version. I have shot a friend's gun (9mm Springfield XD) that he uses for USPSA Carry Optics division, and his has the 3 MOA Venom, and it shoots well and I can get fast acquisition, but I have not tried the 6 MOA to compare the difference between them.

6 MOA on a 25 yard popper is about a 2" circle (did I calculate that correctly?). That is why I went with the 3 MOA.
View Quote
I like my Venom. I did not want a 6 moa dot. Vortex sent me a base that has a flush mount screw to replace the large fastener base that came with it at n/c.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 3:11:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I like the Ultradots. I have regular Ultradot and a Matchdot II.
View Quote
I'm with this guy.
Mine has been going strong for ten years.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 10:17:27 AM EDT
[#33]
I went with the Venom, very happy with it.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top