Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2018 3:45:39 PM EDT
I am looking for a new Gen. 5 Glock to install an RMR on for CCW and need advice on which model to buy. I am not new to Glocks and currently have a Gen. 4 G19.
It seems my options are somewhat limited at this point.

1. I could buy a Gen. 5 MOS, but have heard the fasteners are very short on the RMR and that it sits higher than a milled slide. It would also require very high sights for backup. Sounds like this might not be the ideal way to go.
2. I could buy a Gen. 5 G19 and have the slide milled, but don't want to deal with the scalloped cut on the grip and don't want to have to modify mags to fill in the cut out. I'd also be lacking the front serrations.
3. I could buy a Gen. 5 G45 and have the slide milled, but have concerns about being able to adequately conceal given it's longer grip. I carry at ~4:00. AIWB is not an option for me. All in all this is the model that excites me the most.
4. I could wait until Glock releases an updated G19 with no scallop and front serrations.

Am I missing any options? What do you recommend?
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 4:10:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you're in the same conundrum as a lot of people. I.E. wanting a Gen 5 19 with front serrations but no MOS, no front cutout on the grip. Personally I'd wait and see what glock has cooking for Shot Show next month.

Unless you're dead set on Gen 5, you might consider just getting your Gen 4 milled as well. Alternatively, buy a Gen 5 MOS and swap Gen 5 slides with someone. Although you do lose the front serrations but certainly enough companies offering those as an add on if you're going to get it milled for an optic anyway.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 4:23:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I guess I had all the options covered.

What about concealing a G45? Anybody carrying these at 4:00? I have carried an M&P full size with 4.25" barrel and full size grip, so this would probably not be too much different.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 5:27:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I really dont understand why people get so bent out of shape about the RMR on a MOS platform.

Dawson makes absolutely awesome MOS specific iron sights for the gen 5.  Just order a set.

Get the Trijicon brand RMR mounting kit for 15 bucks- has proper length screws.  Done.

Or spend a ton more money to get your RMR .1 inch lower.  I've handled both, and it really makes no difference.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 5:44:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I really dont understand why people get so bent out of shape about the RMR on a MOS platform.

Dawson makes absolutely awesome MOS specific iron sights for the gen 5.  Just order a set.

Get the Trijicon brand RMR mounting kit for 15 bucks- has proper length screws.  Done.

Or spend a ton more money to get your RMR .1 inch lower.  I've handled both, and it really makes no difference.
View Quote
Thanks for sharing.
When you say the Trijicon RMR mounting kit screws are proper length, do they have as good a purchase into the adapter/slide as a milled slide would? I have read a few MOS reviews where they say the screws loosen up over time even with locktite. I have no idea if they were running the Trijicon screw kit or not.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 6:07:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks for sharing.
When you say the Trijicon RMR mounting kit screws are proper length, do they have as good a purchase into the adapter/slide as a milled slide would? I have read a few MOS reviews where they say the screws loosen up over time even with locktite. I have no idea if they were running the Trijicon screw kit or not.
View Quote
The standard RMR screws aren't the right length to work reliably with the MOS platform so Trijicon sells a kit with the proper length screws and sealing plate. Just make sure and degrease everything before loctiting the screws and it'll probably be fine.

I'll add it's not so much the height of the optics that a lot of people don't like about MOS, it's that all the stress from the slide cycling is put directly on the screws because the optic isn't supported any other way in the MOS. Likely why some screws still loosen up even with loctite. That's all I'll say on that. Certainly enough threads out there about the topic. Do your research on MOS vs milled and decide what will work for your situation.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 6:52:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The standard RMR screws aren't the right length to work reliably with the MOS platform so Trijicon sells a kit with the proper length screws and sealing plate. Just make sure and degrease everything before loctiting the screws and it'll probably be fine.

I'll add it's not so much the height of the optics that a lot of people don't like about MOS, it's that all the stress from the slide cycling is put directly on the screws because the optic isn't supported any other way in the MOS. Likely why some screws still loosen up even with loctite. That's all I'll say on that. Certainly enough threads out there about the topic. Do your research on MOS vs milled and decide what will work for your situation.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks. I wondered if there was any support other than the screws. Seems that would be a weak link. I guess using the optic to cycle the slide on barricades would be a No No. I'll do some research into those other threads, but I am back to leaning towards a milled slide.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 7:18:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks. I wondered if there was any support other than the screws. Seems that would be a weak link. I guess using the optic to cycle the slide on barricades would be a No No. I'll do some research into those other threads, but I am back to leaning towards a milled slide.
View Quote
What he said.

The kit comes with proper length screws that bite the entire MOS plate. Degreased and loctited neither of mine have shifted or loosened.

The MOS plate has two nubs that index in the holes in the bottom of the RMR to give extra strength and take pressure off the screws if force is applied to the optic.

I’ve watched a co worker rack his MOS/RMR off metal door frames atleast 10 times without losing zero.

His hasn’t come loose either.

As tough as a properly mulled setup?  Maybe not.  Durable to withstand duty use?  When mounted properly, absolutely.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 7:36:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I second waiting for Shot Show to see if Glock carries over the changes to the non MOS model. I am in the market for a G19 and am waiting. If they don't, I'll probably just get a non MOS model. While I think the gun feels good without the cutout, having it there doens't seem to bother me too much.

I think maybe one option that you didn't consider, if you really want front serrations, is to buy a Gen 4 that has front serrations and then have it milled and stippled/finger groves removed. Not sure what the cost difference on that would be vs a Gen 5 though..
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 8:47:54 PM EDT
[#9]
All good feedback. Thanks. I am going to wait until after SHOT to make a decision.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:03:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm leaning towards a G45 and getting the slide milled, plus I can always swap it to my Gen 5 G19 if I want a shorter grip for conceal ability.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top