Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/28/2020 3:50:57 AM EDT
I am building up my boogaloo kit and looking for a pistol that will be reliable and run 99.99% of the time. I'm looking to purchase locally to help a shop around here and also online retailers don't ship to Colorado if it comes with a "high capacity magazine". I do have a suppressor that I'll be running, so raised sights and threaded barrel are needed. Stock with that is great but willing to add separate. Here's what I'm looking at:

- M9A3: comes with everything I would need and additional mags wouldn't be difficult to source and not crazy expensive. I've always wanted one and I love metal frames and hammer fired.

- CZ 75 Tactical or SP01 Tactical: same as the berreta but about $200 less. Mags are usually not cheap and holsters can be semi difficult to find. Definitely hard to work on the internals, but I've loved my previous CZs.

- Glock 45: the only Glock I've enjoyed shooting and was accurate with. Definitely way easier to find any parts for too. However adding threaded barrel, raised sights and since trigger parts adds up super fast.

- Sig P320: Well the Army chose it because it was cheaper than the Glocks. Not sure if I should consider it, but there is a P320 X5 Legion around here that looks cool. Same price as M9A3 though.

What would you choose? Anything else I should really consider for this application? I'll definitely be running it in training and USPSA comps since those are great for training as well (not trying to win against
STIs).

Link Posted: 4/28/2020 3:56:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I did M9A3 for some of your reasons
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 3:57:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Is there anything you don't like about it? Or anything that really stands out?
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 4:18:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll be going m&p 2.0 core with a trijicon rmr and surefire x300

Plenty reliable
Plenty accurate
Trigger complaints are for people who don't want to train
Mags are 30 a pop so not real cheap
Trex arms have sufficient holsters until I find the appropriate safariland

Only thing I'm curious about is changing the tall sights for hivis nightsights. But they are required just would be nice.

That said the full size m&p compliments my carry m&p and I already have mags and holsters

Eventually ill try an apex trigger but I shoot the factory well enough
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 5:44:35 AM EDT
[#4]
92 G
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 6:55:45 AM EDT
[#5]
My m9a3 was my first beretta and i fell in love. You cannot go wrong with that or the glock, but thats personal. If i am going 45acp, itd be my usp45t for sure
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 7:00:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Not sure if you're aware, but the CZ SP-01 is offered in a model with suppressor sights and a threaded barrel from the factory.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 7:06:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 9:18:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I would have said Glock until you said suppressed. Glocks suck as suppressor hosts.

M9A3 seems like a solid choice (been thinking about one myself) but just so you know, they do not come with taller "supressor height" sights but they're not absolutely needed either.

CZ is a solid choice, I would also consider the P07/09 or P10 series.

I'm sure the Sig 320 would get it done but another one not on your list that should be is the Sig 226. One of the best supperssor hosts out there and personally, I tend to shoot the 226 a lot better then I do the Beretta 92 series.

All of these guns are solid options, just depends on what works best for you?
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 10:06:04 AM EDT
[#9]
SIG P-226 for suppressor ready

Glock 19X for everything else.

Link Posted: 4/28/2020 10:09:33 AM EDT
[#10]
CZ P07 or M&P
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 10:14:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Most bomb proof gun ever made: HK MK 23.

Second most bomb proof: HK USP 45

Third: Glock 17

Any of the above would be my apocalypse gun.
I would go hammer fired if suppressed, Glock's do suck suppressed.
Out of your choices Beretta for me no doubt.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 1:06:46 PM EDT
[#12]
No matter what I say it is entirely up to you.  Do you want a DA/SA hammer fired pistol or striker?
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 1:51:47 PM EDT
[#13]
The CZ SP01 and P07/P07 can be usually be found online with suppressor sites and threaded barrel cheaper than the normal configuration

There are a few places to get CZ mags that arent too expensive ($25-$30), plus the models above typically come with +2 mags

ETA: missed the buying local part. Not sure if local would have the same pricing with the SR models cheaper
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 1:58:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Vedder has SPO1 holsters, OWB for suppressor ready and RDS

Vedder
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 2:06:37 PM EDT
[#15]
If you go the A3 route, make sure it's a Italian version and not a TN version.  If you run a can, the coating on the barrel will wear as expected.  Don't complain to Beretta, as they say it will be normal.  Sights are not tall enough, but you can aim thru the can.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 2:07:26 PM EDT
[#16]
It seems I'm more of a metal framed guy by the day. Hard choice between the SP-01 and M9A3. The trigger on both can be tweaked to be heavenly with some parts from CZC, Cajun, or Langdon.

The vertec grip really feels great on the A3, and the ergos of the CZ are great as well, but kinda different at the same time. Accuracy should probably be a tie. Both are supremely shootable.

Mags for both are a tie. Mec-gars from greg cote are the same price and work great.

I'm a huge fan of the Sig M17, but haven't warmed up to the rest of the lineup yet. Of all your options, this one is the easiest to modify frame size/color/shape to your liking. Triggers are pretty darn good for a striker gun too.

Flip a coin between the A3 and 01, personally. I'm up to 3 beretta's now and 3 sp-01's (two being the rare steel p-01compacts).
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 2:08:14 PM EDT
[#17]
P09 Grey SR $537.42

P09 Blk SR $515

CZ P09 Blk $499

CZ SP01 Blk $595

SPO1 Grey SR $599

Looks like some pricing has changed, but you can see that even with the ones that are OOS, the SR versions are barely any higher in price. If you were to add those items yourself, it would be waaaaay more to do later
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 2:47:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 3:45:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Glock or P320.

What pistols do you already have? What do you normally carry?
View Quote

I’m in this camp. Maybe try a Glock 34.5, M&P CORE, or P320 for striker fired guns, or even an XDm if they have an offering you like.

Hammer fired, I really like HK USPs, they have a few models standard with suppressor sights and threaded barrels, and I believe their match trigger.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 4:27:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Id say glock or beretta. Bothe have awesome support.

Just pick what you want.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 5:21:25 PM EDT
[#21]
M9A3 can be had for decent prices now.

I'm setting up my Glock 45 for whenever my Omega 9K gets out of jail.

It's set and just waiting for ATF.

Link Posted: 4/28/2020 9:03:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Maybe I'm the exception, but my suppressed Glock has never had a single issue...  That being said, I'd probably go with the M9A3.  I've had one on my mind lately, so I could be a little biased.  Oh, and don't worry about suppressor sights, you don't need them.  It's possible to aim "through" the can which has never been a hindrance to me or anyone who's shot my guns.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 9:58:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Glock if you're actually going to be doing any "running". It's light weight which will make running easier.

If you just want to buy a badass gun for shooting suppressed, M9A3.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 10:56:38 PM EDT
[#24]
I’d grab my 92X or my USP
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 10:57:42 PM EDT
[#25]
If you’re looking for something to “run” at the range..pick whichever would make you happiest.  Most people know what they like and what they’d be most happy with.

But if you’re looking for a combat handgun.  Get the one that you think will work after you wade through a creek,  crawl through drainage pipes,  dirt, mud, sand, snow, ice, concrete dust.  Now cross another creek with muddy water, etc, etc, etc. Remember it will be on your hip the entire time.  More dirt, more mud.  That’s the conditions a combat pistol needs to be able to operate in - especially when you’re not a member of the “coalition forces” :)

I’d go with the Glock 45
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 10:43:24 AM EDT
[#26]
M&P 2.0 or Glock 45
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 10:49:36 AM EDT
[#27]
I just cant get past the language used in the OP subject.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 11:22:16 AM EDT
[#28]
I love me some Beretta 92.

But the G19 is my go-to-war gun.   Simple, proven, uber-reliable, ubiquitous, cheap mags, accessories galore, less parts, flexible, i.e. you can both open carry and CCW it, and cheap to acquire.

It is really a no brainer IMO.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 12:04:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Glock or Sig of your choice. I've had several CZ's over the years, they're fine guns. I don't know that I'd choose one as a secondary weapon just because the extra weight. Keep in mind, if this is for a fighting load then most of your fighting will be done with a rifle. Any pistol is just insurance.

Beretta gets knocked off my list simply because I personally hate slide mounted safeties. Poly framed CZ's are an option, but really they're no better or worse than the Glock or Sig offerings.

Find whichever you shoot best (rental ranges or friends) and get it along with a few spare mags. If you already conceal carry a compact or full sized pistol then just run with it instead of buying something new.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 8:08:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 10:10:26 AM EDT
[#31]
USP tac 9

Link Posted: 4/30/2020 10:39:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Beretta for a hammer fired pistol and Glock for striker. The Beretta M9A3 has a lot to offer as does the 92X series.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 10:57:36 AM EDT
[#33]
The Beretta 92 series is easily my favorite series of handguns.  That said, in this (hopefully imaginary) scenario I don't think the Beretta or any metal framed gun is the right choice.  Handguns are largely irrelevant in "combat."  I'm not suggesting one not carry one but what it is probably doesn't matter that much so long as it is reliable.  Weight is probably the primary concern after reliability.  

The way I see it in the (again hopefully imaginary) event of an internal conflict within the US there are to basic possibilities, overt and covert.  

In an overt conflict rifles, explosives, etc. will be primary weapons.  Handguns will mostly be an afterthought.  In this case I'd go with something light and with ubiquitous parts/magazine availability.  That basically means a Glock 17, 19, or 45.

In a covert conflict weapons will need to be concealed.  In that case a Beretta M9/92, a steel frame CZ, or other similar full size guns are not the best choice.  A suppressor might actually be useful on a pistol in these circumstances but they don't conceal well when actually attached.  Suppressor height sights add basically nothing (aiming with regular sights and a suppressor works fine with the BAC) while being more likely to snag and not fitting in all holsters.  I'd probably consider something like a Glock 26 here because it can use full size mags, parts, etc. and is easier to conceal.  

I'm not really a huge Glock fan but it is hard to argue with their parts availability, commonality across models, weight, and reliability.

Link Posted: 4/30/2020 7:04:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Definitely nothing wrong with your choices.  The Sig didn't just win because of price, it obviously performed extremely well as well.  

Glocks are tough and reliable.  You can't argue that and be sensible at the same time.  They do have a reputation for not being the most reliable suppressor hosts though.  Since running a can is part of your requirements it puts a big question mark on the Glock.  My personal if the SHTF first gun I grab is my G21 but I'm not running a suppressor so it's not an issue.

I don't know much about the CZ's so I can't say one way or the other.

The Beretta makes sense.  They are known to run suppressed very reliably.  They are very accurate and obviously have a long record of use in combat.  I don't have any experience with the model you listed but IIRC it's one of the models, like my 92A1, that were built a little beefier than others.  I think, like mine, it also has a dovetail front sight which means suppressor height sights are possible.  

The 92 series are big heavy guns which may or may not be an issue to you.  To me they are just fun to shoot.  They naturally point well and are very accurate so it's just plain fun to shoot.  I have several 15 round and 17 round magazines (quality mags are plentiful and inexpensive) but I keep mine loaded with 20 round MecGar mags.  Might not help you in communist Colorado though (but it wouldn't hurt to have some on hand for SHTF times). There's a ton of aftermarket options available and Langdon can turn one into a real sweetheart.  Wish I could afford to send mine in.

Anywho, opinions are just that.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 7:33:08 PM EDT
[#35]
I'd vote M&P for simplicity of striker firing. The M&P, USP, M9, and P226 are the best shooting 9mm's in my opinion.

Link Posted: 4/30/2020 7:39:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Mine swaps between a HK USP .40 with jet funnel, x300u and a total of three 16 round mags. My second choice is a gen 5 glock 17 and x300u with a total of three 17 round mags.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 8:42:33 PM EDT
[#37]
1911A1
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 9:04:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Of those I would go Beretta, Sig (X5 Legion), Glock, CZ. If the 320 is anything but the X5 Legion switch the Sig and Glock.

Not sure what timeline you have, but Beretta is have a sale (site wide?) on mags. With code "stayactive" you get 25% off. You can get their 17 round mags right now for like $25. I recently bought six M9A3 mags (PVD coated and FDE baseplate) and a 30 rounder for my 92.

Don't know how long the deal is going for, though.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 9:21:53 PM EDT
[#39]
M9A3 suppresses well and Ranger surplus holsters made to accommodate lights on eBay will fit it. Just take out the end caps and grind to fit the threaded portion on the barrel.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 9:25:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Fooboy:
I just cant get past the language used in the OP subject.
View Quote

Good, thought i was the only one. Lol
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 2:33:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Fooboy:
I just cant get past the language used in the OP subject.
View Quote

Yup, I just hate people using "kit", like they're operators or something. Maybe I just hate that word altogether.

Whatever, to each his own.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 2:44:05 PM EDT
[#42]
I'd actually go for two 'pistols', a Glock 19 and an AR pistol with an Echo trigger and 60-round Surefire mag. Use the Glock to get to the AR - and that's actually what I take when we go traveling in our RV - for me. The wife has her own Glock, plus an M4 with an Echo trigger.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 3:07:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By CarlosC:

Yup, I just hate people using "kit", like they're operators or something. Maybe I just hate that word altogether. 

Whatever, to each his own.
View Quote

Great minds think alike.
I clicked on this thread half-hoping the OP was ex-SAS or SBS.
Those guys can use "kit" to describe their gear anytime.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 3:17:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Se a lot of comments that Glocks suck as suppressor hosts. Why is that? (not that I'm a Glock fan, just curious what the shortcomings are)

Nick
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 10:43:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Commando_Guy:
Se a lot of comments that Glocks suck as suppressor hosts. Why is that? (not that I'm a Glock fan, just curious what the shortcomings are)

Nick
View Quote

My Gen3 G19 runs fine with an Octane 9.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 1:35:05 AM EDT
[#46]
A CZ SP-01 Tactical is my bedside gun and it is one of my favorite pistols. Mags are relatively inexpensive when you buy the Mec-Gar branded ones. They do make a suppressor ready version as others have mentioned but only in their urban grey color.

The internals are not that bad to work on. Take it slow and be patient, the reward is worth it. My carry gun is a CZ P-01 that after being polished is the smoothest gun I own. Lots of good YouTube videos and web pages on how to do it.

The Baretta 92A3 has caught my eye ever since they released the black one. I like everything thing about it except the way the hammer drops when decking. Definitely a great choice.

I do have a P320 that I carried for a while and would trust to defend my life. I just found I prefer DA/SA better that striker guns. It is very modular to fit your hands and your needs. Magazines are expensive but becoming more common to find.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 7:14:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Beretta, CZ, and Glock are all good. I find the Sig 320 series average in all respects.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 7:43:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I am building up my boogaloo kit and looking for a pistol that will be reliable and run 99.99% of the time. I'm looking to purchase locally to help a shop around here and also online retailers don't ship to Colorado if it comes with a "high capacity magazine". I do have a suppressor that I'll be running, so raised sights and threaded barrel are needed. Stock with that is great but willing to add separate. Here's what I'm looking at:

- M9A3: comes with everything I would need and additional mags wouldn't be difficult to source and not crazy expensive. I've always wanted one and I love metal frames and hammer fired.

- CZ 75 Tactical or SP01 Tactical: same as the berreta but about $200 less. Mags are usually not cheap and holsters can be semi difficult to find. Definitely hard to work on the internals, but I've loved my previous CZs.

- Glock 45: the only Glock I've enjoyed shooting and was accurate with. Definitely way easier to find any parts for too. However adding threaded barrel, raised sights and since trigger parts adds up super fast.

- Sig P320: Well the Army chose it because it was cheaper than the Glocks. Not sure if I should consider it, but there is a P320 X5 Legion around here that looks cool. Same price as M9A3 though.

What would you choose? Anything else I should really consider for this application? I'll definitely be running it in training and USPSA comps since those are great for training as well (not trying to win against
STIs).

View Quote

So I faced this decision a few years ago. For me I decided to really focus on a single type of go to pistol. While I own different pistols my carry, training, and go to option was the Beretta 92 series. This was my primary pistol for a long time. However as I get older, (and slower ), I find my goto gear getting lighter and lighter. My go to Beretta at the time was a tuned WC Brig Tac with a Surefire X300U. It is an outstanding pistol. However, with a weapon light and 18+1 rounds in the gun it was heavy on my belt. Day to day Carry was fine but I found by day two of some of the more active classes I was starting to feel the heft. Additionally I wanted to mount a RDS and I was not happy with the mounting options available for the Beretta 92 series. Plus, I would be adding even more weight. This lead me to start looking for a new primary pistol.

For me, and it sounds like for you, DA/SA or striker fire doesn't matter much. I like both systems and I feel both have their pros and cons. Since the operating system didn't matter I decided to write down what I wanted. Because weight is an issue I focused on polymer pistols. I didn't want to give up much in the way of capacity so I knew I would be looking for a full size pistol. I wanted to mount a RDS so options would need to either be optics ready or have a mounting system that allowed for the use of BUIS. A rail for mounting a weapon light is non-negotiable. Finally, the only caliber I wanted was 9mm.

This want list sent me down a T&E path running everything from the Beretta PX4 to the VP9 to the CZ P10 and everything in between. After roughly two years and a ton of ammo I pretty much landed where the military landed with the MHS. The Glock 19X/Glock 45 and the Sig P320. Both pistols checked all the boxes. In the end I went with the P320 because of its modularity and I shoot it better than I do the options from Glock. I can custom tailor exactly what I want. From all my testing I discovered I no longer wanted a full size gun, Commander/Carry style pistols are where it's at. Pistols like the Glock 19X and Sig M18. Compact slide with a full size frame. I get to keep my capacity up but I shrink my over all size.

My current go to is a tuned Sig M18. I still have some tweaks to do with it, things like changing the barrel out for something a little more accurate, switching the light out to a Streamlight TLR-1 HL and swapping the front sight out for something a touch lower and with tritium. What I have done so far though is to delete the safety. Swapped out the trigger and trigger bar for Apex Tactical advanced flat trigger kit. Installed a Bobro Engineering RMR adapter plate with a built in rear BUIS. Deleted the top mounted LCI. Added an extended slide release and added a Wilson Combat carry grip module. My magazines are ACT 17 round magazines with TTI +5 extentions paired with Gram engineering 11 coil spring and follower kits giving me 23 rounds per mag. These are typically my back up mags. My primary mag is the factory 17 round magazine to keep the pistol more low profile in the holster.

No matter which direction you go, run it hard and get training.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 9:35:49 AM EDT
[#49]
So, you lay out your kit and the pistol runs around on it?
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 10:35:36 PM EDT
[#50]
I’d go M9a3.

Like many have said it should be a better host and I like my 92x much better than previous CZ pistols I have owned.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top