Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2020 12:42:51 AM EDT
With 9mm being scarce I plan to shoot 22 for a bit.  I have a G44 for a trainer to my G19 but kind of have an itch for a nicer target pistol.  I've owned a Ruger Mk3 hunter before with the wood target grips and fluted bull barrel but didn't love it.  It felt like I was shooting a BB gun and just not a lot of fun believe it or not.  I was looking at the Volquartsen Scorpion, Mamba, Black Mamba, they all seem to use similar uppers but just have different lowers/grips? I believe one is based on the 22/45 or 1911 grip angle, one on the traditional Ruger MK series and one is their own design?  Any input on the pros/cons of their main models?
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 11:00:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Scorpion, based on the 22/45 design.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 11:05:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Benefits?  Just the more normal 1911 grip design?
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 12:42:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 12:43:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 9:43:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Benefits?  Just the more normal 1911 grip design?
View Quote

Yes, IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 12:43:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Just curious, where was this originally posted that it got moved?
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 12:48:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a Scorpion and sold it. One of the most accurate pistols I've ever owned. But while 97% of my shooting is rimfire pistol shooting, the Scorpion just doesn't really working out for me. Great pistol, but it was expensive and I kind of didn't like the idea of banging it around the woods, and after trying it at a couple rimfire steel matches I still preferred my CZ Kadets for that.

About a year ago I saw a Black Mamba in person and I was really tempted to order one. But I've since got away from that idea. Still, wouldn't be surprised if I circle back to it someday.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 4:46:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I concur. But you cannot go wrong with anything in the Volquartsen produce line. I have had bot Clark and Volquartsen Ruger 22 conversions, they are both great, but the triggers on the Volquartsen's are slightly better.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 8:03:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Scorpion. Best 22LR pistol made, IMO.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 12:21:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I had a Scorpion and sold it. One of the most accurate pistols I've ever owned. But while 97% of my shooting is rimfire pistol shooting, the Scorpion just doesn't really working out for me. Great pistol, but it was expensive and I kind of didn't like the idea of banging it around the woods, and after trying it at a couple rimfire steel matches I still preferred my CZ Kadets for that.

About a year ago I saw a Black Mamba in person and I was really tempted to order one. But I've since got away from that idea. Still, wouldn't be surprised if I circle back to it someday.
View Quote

Funny you say that I ended up finding out about the CZ Kadet kit for the Shadow 2 so I bought one and going to try that.  I figured I already had a pretty good frame/trigger, why not try the conversion kit and save about 800 bucks
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 12:21:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just curious, where was this originally posted that it got moved?
View Quote

Ruger area
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 8:25:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Thinking about getting one of their uppers for my Mk IV

LLV-4, 6", Target Sights, Black

EDIT - Got one in today.  Runs perfectly.  Good accuracy right out of the box (for me anyway) at 25 yards with a RDS and CCI Standards ammo

I carry the standard upper for my daily woods carry gun.  Going to use the Volq for plinking at the range.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 9:09:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I got a 6” scorpion 1911 style , will probably sell it or try to trade it for a 4” mamba ( fingers crossed ) & offer extras & extra magazines on my end to make the trade happen.

For me i think it was that it wasn’t a 4” & the breakdown of it being the mk3 platform.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 11:08:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Just bought a 4.5" Black Mamba today. I'd wanted one earlier this year, but they're a little hard to find. Wanted to see and hold a 4.5" model in person before buying. Only one nearby Volquartsen dealer; they had a 6" in there once when I checked but not 4.5", and they tend to be a little pricey. Ended up forgetting about it. Today I was at a Cabelas out of state. Never thought I'd buy a pistol there, but spotted the exact Black Mamba I was interested in and for a decent price. Since it was out of state, I won't have it for a few days at least. They're shipping it to a local dealer.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 6:02:01 AM EDT
[#15]
The black mamba is awesome but I’m loving the mkiii scorpions and having a million mags already pushed me that  direction.  You can’t go wrong with a volquartsen pistol!

Link Posted: 9/25/2020 7:35:59 AM EDT
[#16]
NICE!
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 3:55:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
With 9mm being scarce I plan to shoot 22 for a bit.  I have a G44 for a trainer to my G19 but kind of have an itch for a nicer target pistol.  I've owned a Ruger Mk3 hunter before with the wood target grips and fluted bull barrel but didn't love it.  It felt like I was shooting a BB gun and just not a lot of fun believe it or not.  I was looking at the Volquartsen Scorpion, Mamba, Black Mamba, they all seem to use similar uppers but just have different lowers/grips? I believe one is based on the 22/45 or 1911 grip angle, one on the traditional Ruger MK series and one is their own design?  Any input on the pros/cons of their main models?
View Quote

you will have an awesome 22lr plinker in the volquartsen , which ever you decide. I love my scorpion but I want a shorter 4" mk4 mamba more.......

good luck , Pep
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 3:56:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The black mamba is awesome but I’m loving the mkiii scorpions and having a million mags already pushed me that  direction.  You can’t go wrong with a volquartsen pistol!
https://i.imgur.com/POR0b3u.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/yAEu0Bl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/0v6humc.jpg
View Quote

great looking Volq family Capt....
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 10:22:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Took less than two months.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top