Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2018 6:47:56 PM EDT
I’m set on a Cz 9mm. Either 75 SP-01 tactical or Phantom - or- 75 compact or P-01. I’ve handled all but the P-01. None are available to rent and shoot. I don’t know many people with guns and none who own CZ. I know I want the decocker version. What Stands out about the SP-01 to me is capacity. I prefer metal to plastic. I kind of liked the skinnier grip on the phantom, but can get slim grips for the others.  For the P-01 and compact it’s the concealability. Here’s the thing, I have a ccw permit but I never carry. I’m thinking that it will serve as a range and home defense gun. I can, however, imagine a scenario in which I would want to carry. If I did it would probably be owb or in a messenger style bag or in the car. All that said, I’m leaning toward the Sp-01 tactical. I’m posting to see what arguments there may be for buying one of the others mentioned .... and no I can’t buy them all
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 7:01:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I carry the CZ 75 Compact D PCR. Great pistol.

This is from the CZ website,

"The PCR name stands for 'Police Czech Republic,' the group for whom the model was originally designed.
Nearly identical in size to the CZ 75 Compact, it weighs in at a full 1/4 pound lighter owing to its forged aluminum frame,
making it more comfortable for everyday carry. Very similar to the P-01, the PCR uses the same alloy frame minus the light rail, making it even more concealable."
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 10:16:15 PM EDT
[#2]
All of them. Serious answer is CZ 75 PCR. Great gun, absolutely love it. Be warned though, CZs seem to breed.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 10:17:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Carrying off body in a messenger bag is not a good plan.  Abandon it immediately.

The SP01 tactical is going to be the most fun to blast with at the range.  The phantom gets you the same capacity, but light enough to be realistic as a carry gun.  With flush fitting magazines it's a lot more realistic as a carry gun, but it's not small.

The P01 is the best carry gun of that bunch, though I like the P07 better.  I've had both of them, still have the P07 and have no resounding urge to get another P01, even though it's a very good gun.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 12:41:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Why don't you carry?
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 7:55:23 AM EDT
[#5]
My carry CZ's are my P07 (.40 S&W) and P01 Omega.

I only have one full size steel frame CZ, a Pre B CZ85.  I've never tried to carry it concealed.

I can't count the other (bigger than) full sized steel frame CZ I have as a Tactical Sport is both very large and weighs about 3&1/2 lbs.

I have a few CZ metal framed Compacts.  CZ75 Compacts, standard and the models with a P01 like frame (rail for light/laser).  I also have a couple P01 Omegas.

There is something about those grooves cut in the front/back of the P01 frame that my hand immediately picks up on when I grab the P01's.  The size is the same for the CZ75 Compact and the P01, but those vertical grooves in the P01 grip frame really make a difference in my hand.

I'd vote for the P01.  You said you wanted the decocker model.  I wanted safeties so I got the Omega.  The Omega comes with decockers installed and can be converted to safeties if that's what you want.

The Omega "lockwork" inside the frame is also different than the standard P01 or CZ75 Compact models.

I don't notice weight differences between the CZ75 Compact and the CZ P01 Omega.  I really don't.  Nice tight belt, IWB holster, I don't feel a difference.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 4:53:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why don't you carry?
View Quote
The best answer is that is not convenient or comfortable. No guns allowed at the office. I’m in and out of courthouses and other offices etc.
IIf a situation arises that makes the need to carry outweighs the inconvenience and discomfort I certainly would.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 7:19:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The best answer is that is not convenient or comfortable. No guns allowed at the office. I’m in and out of courthouses and other offices etc.
IIf a situation arises that makes the need to carry outweighs the inconvenience and discomfort I certainly would.
View Quote
What about non working hours?
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 7:28:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why don't you carry?
Convenience and comfort are not really things I worry about when I think about carrying something that could save my life.

As far as the places you listed, do signs carry the weight of law in NC? Personally, I don't give a fuck what my employer says about carrying, I know she is anti gun, and would fire me for carrying. I still carry daily, because I'd rather be alive and unemployed than dead.

Even if you have to leave it locked in your car, and use a paddle holster for quick on and off, which would work well I assume, because I'm guessing you wear a sportcoat most days if you are in court that much, it's better to have it all times you possibly can, then never, just because a couple places inconvenience you.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 1:40:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like you need something that is more carry oriented.  The pistols you listed are all good pistols but if you already do not carry because of comfort you need something smaller.  Like G43, Walther PPS, SA XDs, MP shield size pistols.  For a CZ I would suggest the SP01 it is a sweet pistol the Phantom is a good choice as well it will be lighter weight than the steel frame but will function the same.  
Also comfort while carrying is a mindset thing coupled with the right equipment.  A poor holster and belt setup anyone will hate carrying.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 4:51:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I carry the CZ 75 Compact D PCR. Great pistol.
View Quote
This.. I don't have one but want one.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 9:54:30 AM EDT
[#11]
I carry a P-01 omega. very comfortable carry. Had a PCR and sold it before firing it. Wasn't impressed with the stock trigger, and really didn't like the forward rear sight. Originally was thinking a rami, but there's not enough grip there for my liking.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 9:03:05 PM EDT
[#12]
P01 if you're going to carry it, SP-01 if it's going to sit on the nightstand.  If I could go back in time I'd have purchased the P01 instead of my 75b.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 1:57:29 AM EDT
[#13]
My favorite is just the standard CZ75 model.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 9:03:09 PM EDT
[#14]
I have almost every CZ pistol offered (kinda an addict... ).

I love the SP01 and think it's among the best of the line, but I really don't find it to be much more accurate or shootable vs the P01/P02.

If I were to have only 1 CZ to cover all the bases, I'd go P-01.  I went P-02 as I like cocked/locked carry vs a decocker.
If I was a polymer fan, the P-07 has a ton to offer... especially if you're not invested in the metal frame mags already.

SP-01 vs Phantom?... I'd go SP-01.  The metal frame guns just have something that polymer lacks for me... but that is likely just me.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 7:11:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a CZ 75B stainless pistol and am contemplating a Compact P01 SDP. They cost a lot more than a regular P01 because they have a much better trigger and night sights. Regular list price is about $1,225. That is the main complaint I have about the regular P01 pistols - the trigger is too heavy and too long and no night sights.

From their website:  "The gun uses the CZ SA DA Competition hammer in a Decoker format. Single Action trigger at approx 3.5/4.0 lbs Crisp and smooth, Double Action at a smooth 8.5-9 Lbs. Firing pin block are left intact but smoothed and Polished."

Link Posted: 10/14/2018 11:05:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have a CZ 75B stainless pistol and am contemplating a Compact P01 SDP. They cost a lot more than a regular P01 because they have a much better trigger and night sights. Regular list price is about $1,225. That is the main complaint I have about the regular P01 pistols - the trigger is too heavy and too long and no night sights.

From their website:  "The gun uses the CZ SA DA Competition hammer in a Decoker format. Single Action trigger at approx 3.5/4.0 lbs Crisp and smooth, Double Action at a smooth 8.5-9 Lbs. Firing pin block are left intact but smoothed and Polished."

https://czcustom.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/600x/17f82f742ffe127f42dca9de82fb58b1/9/1/91721.jpg
View Quote
The sdp is very nice, came very close to buying one,  however I felt the heinie slant sights that they cut the slide for felt a lot to be desired. You can buy a P01, do a bunch of the trigger upgrades and add a set of Dawson night sights cheaper than the sdp.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 7:13:20 PM EDT
[#17]
The P-01 is my daily carry and nightstand gun. I love the gun and shoot it well.

I also have the Compact SDP from CZ Custom and it’s fantastic as well. Smoothest double action trigger I’ve ever felt in my life.

CZ’s are addicting, I got my first one a year or two years ago and have 5 now.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 4:21:50 PM EDT
[#18]
All CZs are great.  I shoot the little rami as well or better than the P01 or SP01.

If you want to carry (you should) go P01 or rami (both is best).

Some carry SP01 and that is cool.  They all are great shooters if you just want a range gun.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 4:22:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The P-01 is my daily carry and nightstand gun. I love the gun and shoot it well.

I also have the Compact SDP from CZ Custom and it’s fantastic as well. Smoothest double action trigger I’ve ever felt in my life.

CZ’s are addicting, I got my first one a year or two years ago and have 5 now.
View Quote
Truth
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:39:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have almost every CZ pistol offered (kinda an addict... ).

I love the SP01 and think it's among the best of the line, but I really don't find it to be much more accurate or shootable vs the P01/P02.

If I were to have only 1 CZ to cover all the bases, I'd go P-01.  I went P-02 as I like cocked/locked carry vs a decocker.
If I was a polymer fan, the P-07 has a ton to offer... especially if you're not invested in the metal frame mags already.

SP-01 vs Phantom?... I'd go SP-01.  The metal frame guns just have something that polymer lacks for me... but that is likely just me.
View Quote

LOL, I still rotate my CZ100. That pistol got no love from anyone when I bought for $225 from a LGS. It had been in there for months and the owner said he was damn near ready to just give it away. This is the pistol that got me interested in Glocks before my department made the switch.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:57:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Ive gotten a P-09 in a trade its my second CZ.I have a 75 B s/a.Does anyone out there carry a P-09 preferrably AIWB.I rotate between a S&W Shield 45acp and a 1911.I like both the da and sa pull on the P09.Its De-cocker has been removed.So I was thinking in order to get the full 20 rd capacity I could lower the hammer on a chambered round.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 11:36:52 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a 75B SA, a P07, and a P10C.  I like all of them, but I carry the P10C.

It took a lot of years, but they finally made a striker fired gun that I like, that I can shoot ridiculously fast and accurately.   Poor thing has ate at least 5K rounds now since I brought it home at Christmas... I got it for my wife, but she took over the P07, it just fits her better and she feels more comfortable with DA/SA.  I didn't know how I was going to feel, I liked the trigger, but was kinda meh on the striker fired thing, since Glocks are basically just plastic staple guns.  The first magazine  I put through it, I was ok with the trade, more than OK... I'm going to buy at least two more.  
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 1:39:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I’m set on a Cz 9mm. Either 75 SP-01 tactical or Phantom - or- 75 compact or P-01. I’ve handled all but the P-01. None are available to rent and shoot. I don’t know many people with guns and none who own CZ. I know I want the decocker version. What Stands out about the SP-01 to me is capacity. I prefer metal to plastic. I kind of liked the skinnier grip on the phantom, but can get slim grips for the others.  For the P-01 and compact it’s the concealability. Here’s the thing, I have a ccw permit but I never carry. I’m thinking that it will serve as a range and home defense gun. I can, however, imagine a scenario in which I would want to carry. If I did it would probably be owb or in a messenger style bag or in the car. All that said, I’m leaning toward the Sp-01 tactical. I’m posting to see what arguments there may be for buying one of the others mentioned .... and no I can’t buy them all
View Quote

SP-01 tactical and phantom are pretty much the same except phantom has polymer frame so its much lighter. Both have a decocker as well. Its worth mentioning that the phantom is discontinued according to CZ website if that matters.

75 compact has manual safety so no decocker and steel frame no accessory rail. Standard P-01 has decocker with aluminum frame and accessory rail so a few ounces lighter.

Since you mentioned the possibility of carrying in a bag or car I suggest you go full size like the SP-01 tactical. As long as you're not carrying on your body the weight won't be an issue. This model also has the most options for holsters because its popular. If you need slimmer grips there are lots of quality options available like VZ grips and Lok grips to name a few. It can serve as a home defense/night stand gun with a light on it.

Good luck on your first CZ. I guarantee you'll getting more of them.

Link Posted: 7/10/2020 1:41:44 PM EDT
[#24]
I love my P-09......
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 9:13:14 PM EDT
[#25]
For me it was down to either the P01 or P07.  I ended up going with the SDP version of the P01 because, oddly enough, it was the first one I could find local to me.  I've been very happy with it and am carrying it right now.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 9:25:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Double-Tapage
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top