Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/3/2020 9:14:05 PM EDT
I my son just turned five. I do education him on guns often. I let him handle one just about any time he asks. We go over all the safety rule before he gets to touch it. The he checks it to make sure it’s unloaded and keeps the muzzle in a safe direction.
He has shot a number of times. Mostly 22lr but a few others too.
Today he was sitting next to me outside and wanted to see a picture on my phone. I said it’s in the house. He put his hand on my pocket and said it’s in your pocket. I said that’s not my phone. He asked what it was. I told him what is in my pocket isn’t his business.
I carry in my front pocket with a pocket holster. I just didn’t know how to address it. I know he’ll want to see it if I tell him. I just don’t want his curiosity drawn to that gun since it’s always loaded. It probably already already drew his attention though.
What have all of you with young children do?
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 9:26:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Got a 4 year old.

I've normalized it I think. She asked what it was and I tell her and she knows the rules about guns. If she bumps the grip or something on belt climbing up my leg she doesn't even pay it any attention because it's always there. Just a thing.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 9:34:54 PM EDT
[#2]
How do they not know?  My kids have always hugged me, bumped into me, etc.. Sooner or later they feel it.   Or they run around a corner, run into you, and hit their head on the thing.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 10:25:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Just ware it all the time and when he ask about it tell him.  It’s completely normal to my kids to see me with mine on.   Just make sure you keep it out of his reach when you don’t have it on.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 10:45:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Our girls are 4 and 7, it’s normal that mommy and daddy carry guns, but it’s not something we talk about with strangers
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 11:01:25 PM EDT
[#5]
My daughter is 12, she's seen me tucking a pistol in my belt Everytime I leave the house for as long as she's been able to see me do it. I dont see how that's something that needs to be hid...  Or why it would need to be discussed.    

Link Posted: 10/3/2020 11:19:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Our girls are 4 and 7, it’s normal that mommy and daddy carry guns, but it’s not something we talk about with strangers
View Quote

Same here with my 7 and 10yo.  They know I carry and we have talked about it.  Hell my 10yo will pull my shirt down if my grip is showing or let me know that my gun is visible.  They know not to talk about guns with other kids and especially at a school.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 11:28:22 PM EDT
[#7]
When they run up to give you a surprise hug and catch an AIWB Glock to the forehead they figure it out.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 11:28:31 PM EDT
[#8]
My son is 11 and has known as long as I can remember. He’s wanted his own “Gwock” since before he was three.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 1:07:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
When they run up to give you a surprise hug and catch an AIWB Glock to the forehead they figure it out.
View Quote

My 2yo has a good system to avoid 1911 forehead.

He watches me dryfire every day from concealment and we shoot together too.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 1:14:02 AM EDT
[#10]
My kids are 10,7 and 5.  They’ve always know.  They see me get it out of the safe and put it away when I get dressed.

Also, y’all make me feel better for not being the only dad to damn near knock their kid out with an AIWB slide to the forehead when they run up!
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 1:53:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I have carried sense before my kids were been born, they have always seen a firearm on my side. Both of them are 16.

Things they learned early, you dont tell others about the pistol dad carry's, even family. You never touch it unless I'm there with you (I have tested them many times). This is the way.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 10:53:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have carried sense before my kids were been born, they have always seen a firearm on my side. Both of them are 16.

Things they learned early, you dont tell others about the pistol dad carry's, even family. You never touch it unless I'm there with you (I have tested them many times). This is the way.
View Quote

I test my kids too. Every time we talk about guns I ask them what they do if the find a gun at home or someone else’s home. They say don’t touch it and tell mom, dad or another adult.
I leave an airsoft gun out once in a while. My daughter will come tell me. Last time I did it with my son he brought it to me.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 1:18:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Id say when they are old enough to understand politics and when to and not to speak. With all the people getting child protectives services visits for nerf guns, choose wisely.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 3:24:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Another dad here that’s had his kid thump his head on my IWB Glock more than once.  He loves to fight and wrestle, so if he ambushes me I’ll usually take a timeout to remove my pistol and knife as to not have him get hurt.

He’s always known, and knows to not say anything about it.

My latest dilemma is when he’s on the stupid Zoom class to not forget if I’m open carrying and walk into the room and let his first grade class catch a glimpse of a scary dangerous weapon...
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 3:41:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
How do they not know?  My kids have always hugged me, bumped into me, etc.. Sooner or later they feel it.   Or they run around a corner, run into you, and hit their head on the thing.  
View Quote

This...

My kids have known since they've been old enough to walk and talk and know what a gun is.  Not sure why it would be an issue or even a question?
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 3:48:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 8:16:19 PM EDT
[#17]
My kids would notice I was carrying when giving me a hug or rough housing.  

The funny story was my sister.   She was scooting past me in the kitchen and put her hand on my back.   I carry in the small of my back.   So she put her hand right on the pistol, stopped, pulled up my shirt to look at what was underneath and said "Why you son of a bitch......."    and then she laughed.   I thought that half undressing me in the kitchen was a little bold but whatever.    

2Hut8
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 8:50:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

My nephew did that to me one Christmas. It was funny as fuck.

Link Posted: 10/4/2020 10:54:35 PM EDT
[#19]
My kids knew their whole life.  Make it a mystery & they will try to solve it.  Remove the mystery & they won't need to solve it.  I always take my kids out shooting when they are young & we shoot melons, pumpkins, bowling pins, jugs of water so they can see what guns can do & they aren't a toy.  I tell them if they want to look at them, just ask.  Never had any problems with them trying to get to them without asking.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 12:02:13 AM EDT
[#20]
in my household guns are like tools... no mystery about them, and while kids know how to use them and enjoy shooting, they just don't relate to guns as to something unusual or "cool", and since 2013 when I was able to carry in IL, everyone in the family knew. My daughter was 5 at that time, my son 12. Now my son is 18 and knows the combination to the safe.  When I am home, I sometimes take the holstered gun off the belt and just put it in my sight openly if it's in the way of things I do.  My kids and wife pay to it no more attention than to a wrench or a screwdriver... most of the time guns are in the safes when I am home
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 12:41:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I my son just turned five. I do education him on guns often. I let him handle one just about any time he asks. We go over all the safety rule before he gets to touch it. The he checks it to make sure it’s unloaded and keeps the muzzle in a safe direction.
He has shot a number of times. Mostly 22lr but a few others too.
Today he was sitting next to me outside and wanted to see a picture on my phone. I said it’s in the house. He put his hand on my pocket and said it’s in your pocket. I said that’s not my phone. He asked what it was. I told him what is in my pocket isn’t his business.
I carry in my front pocket with a pocket holster. I just didn’t know how to address it. I know he’ll want to see it if I tell him. I just don’t want his curiosity drawn to that gun since it’s always loaded. It probably already already drew his attention though.
What have all of you with young children do?
View Quote

My kids have always seen me with one.  I don't think it was ever "a thing".
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 8:07:16 AM EDT
[#22]
My boys are 2.5 & 4.5.  They routinely see me putting my holster on or see it when my shirt rides up.  We just refer to it as my Han blaster...  That way if anyone overhears they think I'm some sort of Star Wars nerd.   I think you're doing it right OP if they know to ask before they touch anything.  Call your pocket holster your bat phone or something funny so that they'll remember it but not let anyone else know what it really is.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 8:28:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Never thought of it.  My boys grew up shooting at an very early age, same with my oldest grandson.  Three oldest grandkids have their own guns I made them.  Youngest one is 2.5yo and the only reason he doesn't know is because I'm never home (lives with us).  Take them shooting in the backyard and EDC comes out, gets fired, reloaded and put back away.

CD
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 8:30:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Never was or is a problem with us.

22, 19, 13, & 11, had guns before them.
They just think it's normal to the point it's never even came up in discussion.

They  understand that every last gun is loaded even if it's apart for cleaning or repair.

It's called the gun culture for a reason.
The 11 year old has his own 357 super blackhawk that he shoots gallery 38 wadcutter reloads out of.

Goes a little like this once a month.

Get yer gun, holster,  & ammo we're going shooting.

He likes it more then the video games.

Raised around it and common place takes the mystery out of it. No mystery, no curiosity, no problems.

All 4 just treat them like furniture or dishes.
In other words they are just there and no need to mess with them since they all have their own.

Oh the horror! responsible  children that don't touch things that are not theirs.

Link Posted: 10/6/2020 8:33:05 AM EDT
[#25]
my kid ran into it headfirst at probably 2. He knows and we talk about it, safety, how we don't talk about it with anyone else. He thinks it's cool to be ready for bad guys and keeps promising to buy me "shooders" for christmas but he doesn't have enough money for anything I want

I kept it 100% away from him for almost 2 years. He came home from daycare one day, grabbed a gun shaped stick in the yard, and started going "pew pew Pew". 100% did not get that from me or anything we ever watched. So no matter that they will learn all about it. I decided I would rather it be from me.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 8:47:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Day one..

seriously, my kids have known since they could understand.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 9:00:56 AM EDT
[#27]
All 3 kids were raised around guns, shooting and hunting.  Theyve known i carry from the time they could speak.  Make it normal and they treat it like having a spare tire in the care which is the way it should be.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 9:37:43 AM EDT
[#28]
My opinion you either tell them young, so they blabbering mouth it early then forget about it.

Or

You hold out till they are 16ish and understand that ccw is meant to be hidden and unknown.

I open carry quite often, its not uncommon for my 2year old to be on my weak side hip during this time.

She is curious but typically stays away from firearms and I typically keep them out of her reach.

When she gets old enough she will be taught gun safety proper. Until then she gets taught not to touch.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 3:52:57 PM EDT
[#29]
I guess I will talk with him about it and tell him. The city I’m near is full to the brim of insane liberal idiots. I’m just worried he’ll bring it up at school or something.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 5:21:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Not my kid, but my wife's little brother (9 yo) was staying with us one time and he saw me tuck my G19 into my belt. Thinks it's the coolest thing ever.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 10:03:02 AM EDT
[#31]
OP, good for you, getting your boy familiar with guns early.  Did the same with mine.  Never any issues.

As for carry, I only carried on road trips when they were younger.  I couldn't carry to work and didn't carry around the yard/property.

But, I think you son needs to know you are prepared/ready and WHY your are prepared and ready.

Anytime I bought a new gun, or loaded guns in the vehicle for a road trip I always reminded the boys that other people didn't need to know we had guns, shot guns, etc.  Letting other people know could cause problems for all of us and I'd try to explain what those problems might be.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 8:37:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I guess I will talk with him about it and tell him. The city I’m near is full to the brim of insane liberal idiots. I’m just worried he’ll bring it up at school or something.
View Quote

What city? Im in Cary and its much the same.

I haven't carried much since the COVIDs hit, just havent left the house as much (but keep one nearby at all times). My older boys know, 16 & 18, but my 5 year old has seen it and seen it on me but doesnt think much of it. He knows the rules and we dont talk much about it. I did tell him the "bad people in the world" speech and gets it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 10:33:13 PM EDT
[#33]
i have carried every day since before each of them was born. I have 4. my oldest is 13, and my youngest is almost 1.

They have never not known i carry a gun.

Carry gun never touches a safe. Its on me, or on my nightstand.

Its normalized for them. They have no interest in my guns. They are allowed to touch them anytime they like, as long as they ask. They generally show interest once the become aware what the tool can do, and then shortly after lose interest entirely.

Its a tool. Its no different than my chainsaw or my axe.

Link Posted: 11/6/2020 12:02:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 1:55:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I love that picture @03RN! You're one proud papa. I got my little girl a Red Ryder. Just waiting until she figures out walking first.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My 2yo has a good system to avoid 1911 forehead.

He watches me dryfire every day from concealment and we shoot together too.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433221/Screenshot_2020-10-02-21-16-06_png-1619254.JPG
I love that picture @03RN! You're one proud papa. I got my little girl a Red Ryder. Just waiting until she figures out walking first.

I am

He actually ran the last mile of our 6 mile trail run this morning.

I should probably pick up a couple more airguns for future teachings and backyard plinking.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 3:51:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

What city? Im in Cary and its much the same.

I haven't carried much since the COVIDs hit, just havent left the house as much (but keep one nearby at all times). My older boys know, 16 & 18, but my 5 year old has seen it and seen it on me but doesnt think much of it. He knows the rules and we dont talk much about it. I did tell him the "bad people in the world" speech and gets it.
View Quote

I'm a few miles outside of Asheville. The San Francisco of the south.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 4:02:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
...he was sitting next to me outside and wanted to see a picture on my phone. I said it’s in the house. He put his hand on my pocket and said it’s in your pocket. I said that’s not my phone. He asked what it was. I told him what is in my pocket isn’t his business.
I carry in my front pocket with a pocket holster...
View Quote

This is nearly verbatim of what happened with my son a few years ago (he's 9 now) and we were out to dinner with family.
When we got home I had to explain to him why I keep it with me in case I have to protect him or his mom.
I also explained to him that he can NOT talk about it with anyone and that it is private and between us.
He's been surprisingly mature about it and if he notices it he just looks at me with a smirk and carries on as if he didn't.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 6:09:51 PM EDT
[#38]
It just happened for the first time. I read all of your stories if your kids hitting there faces on your CCW. My boy just did it.
It turned out well because it was the opportunity I needed to talk able it without making a big deal of it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 6:14:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Didn't tell my kids until they knew enough to be quiet about it: 1 b/c I live in an area where it would not have gone over well with other parents and 2 god forbid an emergency situation occurred that they might give away an element of surprise...
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 1:20:09 AM EDT
[#40]
I showed my daughter when she was 5. Plus I show her when I carry so she knows.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 11:06:30 PM EDT
[#41]
I don't remember her exact age, but my daughter knew around four or five that "daddy has a gun".  Even though they were never kept where she could pick one up, she was taught early on never to touch one.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 11:20:55 PM EDT
[#42]
If you OC you don't 'have these issues.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 11:29:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

This!
My son told me the other day that he didn't like it when I wore the "big gun"(m&p 2.0 9mm full size) "it hurts more when I bang my head on it..."
I laughed , he laughed and the girls rolled their eyes.
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 12:57:08 AM EDT
[#44]
From day one once he was old enough to know the difference. My boys have always been a part of the process of me carrying, from knowing when and why to discussing possible scenarios and when it’s appropriate to use deadly force as well as what their role would be in that situation.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 7:19:50 PM EDT
[#45]
My boy has been around guns since before he was born. First summer we were out shooting. He’s worn ear muffs from such a young age he doesn’t fight them at all. He loves shotguns because of all the colorful shells. To him me carrying is no different than putting shoes on.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 9:44:59 PM EDT
[#46]
I have a picture of my son at two years old with his airsoft pistol down his pajamas in appendix, so pretty darn quick.

We call guns “bad guys” (since they are for “getting bad guys”) so if they ever ask about it they say “Do you have your bad guy?” instead of saying “Do you have your gun?”

They’ve never asked though, but I’ve normalized them. If they ask they can look at it, and I make it so familiar they really don’t care. They are more interested in playing with my TLR than they are about even seeing my gun.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:47:31 PM EDT
[#47]
My kids grew up with me carrying a gun and guns in the house for that matter. Always locked up safely but there was never any issues. When they are familiar with seeing them I think it helps. Times have changed, my kids grew up when mentioning a firearm in school wouldn’t bring the consequences they could today.
Getting them to understand safety and shooting when they’re mentally and physically ready is important. Airsoft then BB’s are a good start.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:54:26 PM EDT
[#48]
The biggest problem with your young kid knowing that you carry is that they might say something out loud in public.

My coworker’s kid felt his dad’s gun on his side at the grocery store last week and yelled “dad I touched your gun, I’m sorry,” and he had some woman flip out on him over carrying with a kid.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 2:36:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The biggest problem with your young kid knowing that you carry is that they might say something out loud in public.

My coworker’s kid felt his dad’s gun on his side at the grocery store last week and yelled “dad I touched your gun, I’m sorry,” and he had some woman flip out on him over carrying with a kid.
View Quote

Good for her.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 2:41:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Kid's been around them since he popped out.  He doesn't care.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top