Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2021 6:26:25 PM EDT
Looking for reccomendations for torque wrenches and bits for mounting plates and RDS to pistols and rifles.

Looking for 3 reccommendations:

Low priced but decent

Medium priced and good

High priced/excellent
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 6:34:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 7:30:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a few different ones in inch pound ranges that all use 1/4" bits.  The one that gets the most use with small fasteners (like you are referencing) is my Wiha 28413, along with Wiha Torx and hex bits.

In addition, I use a Proto ratchet handle style in inch pounds, but it is for larger fasteners.  I also keep a Borka kit in my range bag.

Can't really help you with your grading scenario.  I just buy what works best for my purposes.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 7:50:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
This. Takes the worry out of snapping mounting screws for optics.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 8:52:27 PM EDT
[#4]
What you really need is a friend with the Wheeler FAT wrench, cause you only need it once or twice a year.  Same with boats and swimming pools.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 10:26:14 PM EDT
[#5]
FPNI.  
Wheeler for the win.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 12:34:51 AM EDT
[#6]
View Quote
I concur.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 12:36:58 AM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 12:48:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Low priced but decent
View Quote

Harbor Freight 1/4" torque wrench and a 1/4" socket to hold the bit of your choice.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 1:30:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This. Takes the worry out of snapping mounting screws for optics.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/255759/8C6C9439-DA6C-4D3B-A10F-332A3DD9599F_jpe-1906206.JPG
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 2:20:11 AM EDT
[#10]
I like the husky better than the wheeler. Its available at home depot and is better quality. A couple of guys at work tested a handful or our torque screwdrivers. They had a newly graduated engineer do it. I forget all the brands represented but the husky was the sweet spot for price vs accuracy. I bought one next time I needed it.

Oddly, my harbor freight 1/4 drive torque wrench with a 1/4 socket holding a bit seems to work pretty well too if you like everything at 20in/lbs
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 3:16:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 5:51:41 AM EDT
[#12]
TEKTON

I have the Wheeler , but use the TEKTON instead.  I was really surprised at the quality for $40.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 7:15:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I like the husky better than the wheeler. Its available at home depot and is better quality. A couple of guys at work tested a handful or our torque screwdrivers. They had a newly graduated engineer do it. I forget all the brands represented but the husky was the sweet spot for price vs accuracy. I bought one next time I needed it.

Oddly, my harbor freight 1/4 drive torque wrench with a 1/4 socket holding a bit seems to work pretty well too if you like everything at 20in/lbs
View Quote

You have a link?
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 7:20:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 7:20:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I have the Wheeler and just got the Fix it Sticks.  I like the Fix it Sticks better.  Easier to use, all metal.  It not that big of a deal, but if I need to remove something, I can put the same bit on the side of the handle to remove a screw / bolt.  With the Wheeler, I would reach for another tool to transfer the bit over to.

Both have very close torque values from my exceptionally limited testing.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 9:54:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Borka is the best there is without dropping the coin for snap on stuff.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 4:30:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Fix It Sticks and Borka are without a doubt the best and most utilitarian for what you need.  You will pay for the privilege, but the investment is worth it.

I’ve seen people break screws with Wheelers because they lose calibration quickly and they’re not terribly precise.  Had one guy warp the housing of his RMR from over-torquing.  The problem I’ve seen is at the low end of the range where lighter adjustments of 9-12 in-lbs is necessary and the wrench can’t get that precise consistently.  When you’re dealing with values that low, you have to be spot-on.  I’ve used Wheeler and I was not impressed, but then and again, I own a Borka set and in our armory we use Fix It Sticks.  This is coming from a major metro LE agency armory perspective where we see RDS pistols, patrol rifles and sniper rifles coming in regularly for various services, including issuing pistol RDS to every recruit academy.  Granted- we have the volume to mandate using higher end tools.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top