BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 10:20:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I shot my carry PPS at a zombie match yesterday. Headshots galore, not a problem
View Quote
I don't know what it is about that thing, but it shoots like a fullsize gun. Wish I'd kept my M1.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 4:06:32 AM EDT
[#2]
What's wrong with Walther?

Nothing as far as I am concerned. My current EDC is a 60 year old PPK.

I love it but have been considering moving to 9mm for daily carry. If I do, it will be a PPS.

That said, my favorite EDC is my full size 1911 but, unfortunately,  back and hip issues have made it difficult to carry the weight all day.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 11:04:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Not a damn thing, I've always loved Walther. Didn't hurt that my introduction was from James Bond
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 4:40:55 AM EDT
[#4]
One of my favorite brands.  I truly love my P99 but sadly I cannot carry it at work so I am going to go all Glock as it will be easier.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 12:08:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I never have understood why people say they sold or will not buy a Walther PPQ because of lack of aftermarket support. Maybe I am missing something but what needs to be done to a PPQ other than maybe sights.
And yes I have Glocks, Sigs, S&W's etc, etc, etc.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 12:23:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Love my "original" PPS 40.
Way cooler than the M2.

Link Posted: 11/18/2020 12:24:38 PM EDT
[#7]
>>The PPQ-22 is incredible as well.  Mine has never failed once in thousands of rounds.  Just an unstoppable machine<<

My sentiments exactly, and it's a shame that more people aren't aware of it. Mine will eat anything I put through it, which I can't say for any other .22 auto I've had in the past.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 1:06:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Had the original PPS for a while, but sold it after the back strap failed and the gun wouldn't shoot.  Walther fixed it pretty quickly and at no charge, but I never felt comfortable with the design after that.  I'm sure if I never took the back strap off again it would be okay, just moved on to something else.  Other than that, it was a great carry piece, with a great rigger and was very accurate.

I've handled some of the newer Walthers and like them just fine, will probably get another one once the prices go back to normal  Or maybe I'll trade a Glock for one
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 2:11:25 PM EDT
[#9]
PPQ M1, .40s&w Got it when they were released. Excellent gun. Want a gen1 9mm and a .45. I’m a fan of the euro-trigger style mag release. It was the second pistol I’ve ever owned, so I got used to both styles of mag release early on.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 10:41:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Walther is a fantastic company.

The products are fantastic, the prices are reasonable, the service department is excellent and they own their mistakes. But the mags are expensive and after market isn't there to support it.

This is the case for many firearms manufactures these days. FN comes to mind.

Glock has a huge head start and everyone seems to want to "modify" things.

I myself would rather buy the superior product from the start and put the money into rounds down range.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 8:56:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Im an HK guy but I recently bought a Q5 SF Pro and stuck an SRO on it, along with the threaded barrel, aftermarket trigger and G10 grip.
Holy cow it’s a nice piece. Crazy accurate and barely moves. It’s my best shooting handgun and I’ve gun a lot of handguns.

Also have a M2 22 that I’m less thrilled with. I think it needs to go back to Walther.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 5:41:57 PM EDT
[#12]
S&W just wants to promote their own firearms heavily .  I went to the range with $800 to spend, and once I fired a few Glocks , Sigs, etc. , I said give me the Walther. I like my Glocks, but the Walther is like a Glock done right. Better grip , balance , trigger , and accurate as all hell.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 7:48:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Wow, just browsed their website, I had no idea their catalog was so vast.

Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:46:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I very much regret selling my PPQ M1, such a great gun.  The PDP looks very interesting, but I just cant get onboard with the push button magazine release.  If it had paddles, I'd have one on order right now.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 9:49:46 AM EDT
[#15]
This has been a Glock-free household since I discovered Walther products.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 3:35:24 PM EDT
[#16]
There is nothing wrong with most current striker for pistols. The reason Glock seems more successful than other brands is marketing. Glock had to have taken a play from the playbook of Harley Davidson.

1. Lease guns to police agencies. Then offer crazy trade in value for upgrades to new models. Then sale old models at almost the same price as new, marketing as off lease police.

2. You get to market as quality enough for police duty use, which we all know are just words.

Also marketing means MARKET. Glock was able to build such an aftermarket support for their product, it makes it impossible for anyone to compete.

Are their better, more accurate, superior hand guns?

I know it took the PDP for me to switch. ???? But, I didn’t throw my Glock 19 in the trash either.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 5:03:06 PM EDT
[#17]
The service sized grip mated to the compact size slide was why I gave up on my PPQ. Carries like a full size, muzzle flips like a compact. I just have no application where something like that is beneficial.

That’s not to say it wasn’t a good gun, I just don’t think it nailed the jack of all trades thing that well compared to other guns.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 5:38:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 10:59:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The service sized grip mated to the compact size slide was why I gave up on my PPQ. Carries like a full size, muzzle flips like a compact. I just have no application where something like that is beneficial.
View Quote

Similar experience here. I wanted to love my P99 however, as beautiful as it was, it was not as enjoyable to shoot and I did not shoot it as well as my CZ’s. So it went on down the road…

Great lines, great design of the decocker and trigger but my hands did not play as well with it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 8:43:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
One thing that's wrong is they ruined the PPS.  The original "M1" version was classy as fuck then they had to try and make it all curvy.  They tried to make it look more like the PPQ I think, and that doesn't work on a single stack IMHO.  Stopped carrying my M1 until I can get a 2nd one because I am afraid of something happening to it.   P99 is criminally underrated too btw.
View Quote

As someone who's had both, I couldn't disagree more. I won't say hated but I strongly disliked the M1 but the M2 is GTG
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 10:04:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

As someone who's had both, I couldn't disagree more. I won't say hated but I strongly disliked the M1 but the M2 is GTG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One thing that's wrong is they ruined the PPS.  The original "M1" version was classy as fuck then they had to try and make it all curvy.  They tried to make it look more like the PPQ I think, and that doesn't work on a single stack IMHO.  Stopped carrying my M1 until I can get a 2nd one because I am afraid of something happening to it.   P99 is criminally underrated too btw.

Agreed. I had both and got rid of the M1. The M2 is a nice shooter.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 10:39:29 AM EDT
[#22]
I like my PPQ M2 Navy so I bought a PDP since it shares mags.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 11:00:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

How does the 45 shoot?
View Quote

I have about 300 rounds down on a ppq 45 and could not be happier. Great gun. Great trigger, good slide serrations, decent sights, good capacity. Exactly what I had been looking for. Still looking for spare mags is the only negative I have to add.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 4:10:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have the PPQ M2 in .45 and the PPS M2 in 9mm.  Both are awesome.  I've put about 500 through both without a hiccup, and they are both as accurate as any mass market pistol I've shot.  No regerts...
View Quote

I have the same 2 pistols. The ppq is a house gun and I cc the pps m2. The pps eats all ammo types and is about as small as I am comfortable carrying. I think they just aren't tried by enough folks. Triggers good out of the box, comfortable and resilient. I have nothing to say that isn't positive about them other than the stock sights could use some love.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 9:32:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Im an HK guy but I recently bought a Q5 SF Pro and stuck an SRO on it, along with the threaded barrel, aftermarket trigger and G10 grip.
Holy cow it’s a nice piece. Crazy accurate and barely moves. It’s my best shooting handgun and I’ve gun a lot of handguns.

Also have a M2 22 that I’m less thrilled with. I think it needs to go back to Walther.
View Quote

Yeah same for me.  HK guy mainly, but I got a Q4 SF for carrying and man it is a superbly well made gun.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 4:26:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By KC-130 FLT ENG:
If you want an ass ugly polymer striker gun, Walther PPQ is the best.
View Quote

If you think the PPQ is ugly, you never saw a PPX.  Homely as a mud fence, beautiful trigger, wonderfully comfortable grip, uses the same magazine as the PPQ.  Walther abandoned the PPX after a limited production and I can understand why, but it is as accurate and dependable as it is clunky-looking.

Link Posted: 7/8/2022 9:39:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

If you think the PPQ is ugly, you never saw a PPX.  Homely as a mud fence, beautiful trigger, wonderfully comfortable grip, uses the same magazine as the PPQ.  Walther abandoned the PPX after a limited production and I can understand why, but it is as accurate and dependable as it is clunky-looking.

https://i.imgur.com/a6vMApCh.jpg
View Quote

The PDP is pretty fugly too. The slide is too wide and the serrations weird. Even the F model for women has a nice small grip but they need to slim the slide by at least 1/4”
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 8:28:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The PDP is pretty fugly too. The slide is too wide and the serrations weird. Even the F model for women has a nice small grip but they need to slim the slide by at least 1/4”
View Quote

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but damn it checks some boxes. Front and rear serrations you can use gloved, ungloved, sweating, whatever. Good texture all around on the grip with no need for tape, good mag release, good slide release lever, great trigger. The stock sights suck. That is the one negative that comes to mind with the pistol. I think they are out on the front edge of striker fired pistols. They may be down the list on market share, but they make a good pistol.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 11:14:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Glocks literally suck and their brand is 100% all marketing! Walther is definitely superior if you are someone who has handled both. I know because I fell into the whole Glock fanboy thing until one day when I actually started to use my brain.

The day I bought a P99 there was no going back. I sold all Glocks, G19, G23, G43X, and I replaced them all with Walthers. Now I have a P99, PDP, PPQ, PPQ 5", and a Q5 match.

What's wrong with Walther is that their marketing strategy is pretty much non-existent. They are in competition with Glock and Hk, but then again if they had the kind of marketing that Glock and Hk do, we'd be paying Hk prices for Walther.

Even the PPQ, which is a great pistol, but wasn't a great seller because they had to offer a big rebate for people to buy them. I got mine for around $350 after the rebate. But now with the PDP it finally seems like they are starting to catch up and get a hold in the market.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 1:36:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Shortly after the P99 morphed into the PPQ, a guy at a pawn shop (who I used just as an FFL) had me try the PPQ trigger. Needless to say, I wanted one. I set my “buy” price in my head and eventually found one.

I had replaced my .40 P229 with a 9mm SP2022 for 3 gun. The PPQ was going to replace that. I was so sure it would that I bought holsters right away.

Unfortunately I had some issues with it. Some were ammo related. An hourglass shaped reload seized up the slide where a punch and mallet were needed (with a live round chambered but just OOB enough not to fire). Then a bad lot of Fiocchi damn near squibbed. But those weren’t the pistols fault. Then it short stroked in the cold. That was the previous owner using froglube on the striker channel (?!?!?!).

Anyway, what I don’t like about the PPQ is there is there is a noticeable amount of extra recoil/blast than a normal 9mm, the sights, and (believe it or not) the trigger.

The extra recoil I attribute to the stepped chamber. My theory is the better seal make for no blowback.

The sights aren’t night sights by factory. There also seems to be an extra wide gap, making for a little extra play with sight alignment.

The trigger, although a fantastic break and reset, has a lot of slack to take up.

Then add in that the size of the pistol leans towards full size, but capacity is only 15+1.

Yeah the PPQ is a fine pistol, but it’s not everything it could be.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 4:28:27 AM EDT
[#31]
I've always thought Walthers were ugly. The PDP-f is the first gun that I thought was nice looking, I also have small/medium hands. The grip is the best fitting ever, they got it right. Thus, I now own a 4" barrel pdp-f. I may end up with the 3.5" also. It's not my favorite gun, but it is my favorite under $1000.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 3:26:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Only real issue I have with Walther is they do not sell any full size PDP Pro magazines. And since their Pro magwell extension only fits 18rd mags with their specific metal mag base (normal PDP 18rd mags do not fit) this is kinda of a issue that shouldn't happen. Basically you'll have to either remove the magwell extension or modify/replace so that normal magazines or aftermarket base pads fit.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 10:58:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Really, the only problem I have is no clue where to get a holster for my P99. It seems like Walther dropped them so fast that nobody makes clothes for them.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 11:11:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
My PPQ is what finally drove me away from Glock. There is just nothing the Glock does better. Everything from ergos, sights, trigger...all superior on the PPQ.

All the fanbois can come up with are some higher percieved recoil nonsense.

If any 9mm recoil is a problem, then it is you that have the problem.

View Quote

You forgot bore axis. I hear that a lot. Own a ppq 45 and a pdp. Would not trade either for a glock.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 1:26:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Really, the only problem I have is no clue where to get a holster for my P99. It seems like Walther dropped them so fast that nobody makes clothes for them.
View Quote

Try here: https://theisholsters.com/

I have a couple of their holsters for my P99s and PPS M1.

The Walther P99 has been in production since 1997.  They are made in batches. Some more came in this year.  They are still popular with European police departments, and frankly I feel it is the most under rated 9mm striker fired pistol ever.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 10:46:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top