Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2020 10:59:12 AM EDT
I’m a little confused on what’s going on with them. They said they would keep making the A1 mags but looks like they are gone everywhere and the replacement A2s pistols are no where to be found. Anyone have insight?
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 1:48:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MAJORSDAD] [#1]
Steyr has been irregular with product delivery for years and one of many reasons they've never been a major player in the US market. Give it time and you'll start seeing items show up again.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 1:54:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MAJORSDAD:
Steyr has been irregular with product delivery for years and one of many reasons they've never been a major player in the US market. Give it time and you'll start seeing items show up again.
View Quote

Good point and I hope so. Just annoyed no A2s and now no A1 mags
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 7:05:31 PM EDT
[#3]
The a1 mags fit the a2 and a1 mags I just received from midway about 2 weeks ago.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 7:06:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Black hawk armory
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 2:02:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Steyr us has mags in stock.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 4:30:09 PM EDT
[#6]
They may have, but when you try to order them, the cart does not register your quantities, so you cannot order from them.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 11:56:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MissileCop] [#7]
Originally Posted By clancey2651:
They may have, but when you try to order them, the cart does not register your quantities, so you cannot order from them.
View Quote

It doesn't register the quantity because it's out of stock.  Bad web design for this part of their site.  If you look in the cart after you try to add them, then it will tell you that the desired item is out of stock.

ETA:  I also found that if you wait long enough, the Out of Stock notice will eventually appear at the top of the product page after trying to order.  Not sure why their website is so s--l--o--w, but it is what it is.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 9:14:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By MissileCop:

It doesn't register the quantity because it's out of stock.  Bad web design for this part of their site.  If you look in the cart after you try to add them, then it will tell you that the desired item is out of stock.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/6492/Out_of_stock-1860940.jpg
View Quote

Here are some mags, have 42

https://v1tactical.com/product/mf-a2-17-rd-magazine/
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 9:14:53 AM EDT
[#9]
I left three voicemail messages (talking to people then getting transferred to a gunsmith onsite)...when those voicemails never got returned...I sent two emails the last 2 months regarding a technical question about my AUG...NONE we answered...sold my AUG because of it...

They might make good weapons but their customer service sucks...at least it did for me...I was kind and professional every time...
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 11:37:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By thehun06:
I left three voicemail messages (talking to people then getting transferred to a gunsmith onsite)...when those voicemails never got returned...I sent two emails the last 2 months regarding a technical question about my AUG...NONE we answered...sold my AUG because of it...

They might make good weapons but their customer service sucks...at least it did for me...I was kind and professional every time...
View Quote

That’s been my experience with Steyr USA as well.  The stock latch spring failed on a brand new AUG.  Several emails, many phone calls and voice mails to their “gunsmith”.  No one ever replied to anything.

I like their pistols, but I doubt I’d ever own one for anything beyond a collectible.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 1:46:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Steyr has been a soup sandwich for decades at this point.  How some of the old Euro arms makers stick around is beyond me.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 1:03:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Shame, my edc is an original M9.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 11:18:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I have wondered what it would cost to buy the company and what their debt looks like.  If they have low debt you could get them running like a real business and make them a contender.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 9:31:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kwisak] [#14]
Originally Posted By JTX23:
I have wondered what it would cost to buy the company and what their debt looks like.  If they have low debt you could get them running like a real business and make them a contender.
View Quote

They just have a heavy focus on government contracts and overflow for civilian market. They even submitted updated g36 rifle for the Germans and Spanish to modernize and fix issues. They are also very controlling so that Steyr usa gets little say over Steyr Austria. The company is actually pretty small man power wise with 160 employees in Austria, and pretty tiny in the usa It is also fairly recent in its current version with Steyr arms coming from the 1989 break up. I believe it’s 35 million area for revenue. Sig is what 300 million and  1500 employees. They have a lot of gems but you never see much advertisement for the Aug, or the ssg, or the A2 line up even though all of them really are good performers in their fields.  This mimics their contracts focus and relatively low revenue. When you look at the company and see the times it’s has been taken over since it’s origin it’s a bit more understandable why they seem behind even though they have some real gems in the line up. I really dont have any data for those assertions, this is just based on my memory. It’s not to say Steyr doesn’t do R&D. Their advance combat rifle was pretty awesome. I hope we see some new innovations especially as their market gets more and more crowded, although their guns have lasted longer then a few major contenders. With how large they are, unique, and the Austrian government. I don’t think it’s likely they will be bought. All that said the biggest issue I have with Steyr is lack of support in accessories for current guns, engagement with the secondary market, and accessories for their past guns.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 10:32:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Another reason Steyr will never make it in the American marketplace, nor do they seem to want to.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 10:56:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kwisak] [#16]
Eh, they have been growing since they came in, they aren’t a large company but they sell. Over the last few years I have learned a lot about them and taken a few course at their facility since you get free classes with purchases. The Aug and scout line have done well, the ssg is well liked by those who do the long shots, hell they even brought in the 50. The A1 had a following but the A2 blows it out of the water. If they ever marketed and actually pushed they might but growing without really advertising does show some good progress. They just have a focus on a contract based business, there are so many versions of their guns in the states that come from the factory different because contract overrun. Like the 3 dot pistols. They also will make any gun in a different configuration when requested on a contract. The problem is they won’t for civilians because it’s not their focus. I have come to realize it’s not that they are slow, they are actually pretty quick to change, just only for contracts. HK might hate you but steyr doesn’t know you exist. If I could change things I would give more production and freedom to steyr usa. Then we would see quicker changes like a optics cut and stock would stay consistent, but steyr Austria isn’t going to do that anytime soon so we wait for contract request changes to trickle down. I’m pretty sure I own more steyr guns then any other now, a few rifles and darn near 8 pistols if you consider the spp a pistol.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 3:16:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BlitzPig] [#17]
I am seriously considering a new L9 A2.  Steyr pistols have been on my radar screen for a long time.  I held an A1 at a gun show before COVID, and was impressed with the feel, and the machine work on it.  I was somewhat taken aback by the width of the slide, but as this is a service type pistol and not intended for deep concealment that is really not an issue for me.

I kind of see Steyr in the same light as Walther, and those that have seen my posts will know I am a big fan of Walther.  Both have a long tradition of making well built arms and being innovative in a very quiet way.  

So, some questions.  Who is a reliable online seller?  I never see them in shops in my area, so online ordering will be my only avenue for purchase.

How do you think the L9 will compare to the Walther P99AS in terms of reliability, accuracy, and overall longevity?  I know that there will be some transitional issues with the grip angle, but I own many pistols and revolvers of different makes and switching from one to the other has never really presented problems for me.

Anything else I should consider about them?  Mag prices and availability are not an issue as they seem similar to Walther and HK in this regard.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 11:29:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kwisak] [#18]
Atlantic firearms is generally good place to go, they recently had sales on the M9 M9and C9 A2. Grab a gun, Bear Arms AZ, V1 Tactical and gunprime also are all options I have used. Typically east to find 575 area but I have seen them as lo as 495 every quarter or so. More often then not I use Bear Arms in Arizona. Things to know about them are with the A2 series holsters are hard to find ready to ship. The A1 holsters will not fit the A2. Double click and black Trident are the only two I have seen that can ship without the gun. We plead the 2nd has made a few for me too. But they might want the gun to do it. A1 mags work with the A2, not the other way around. So A2 you are fine. Main issues are these

1. Low aftermarket, L&M retired and ranger left the game. So there are no more 357 barrels or grip weights. You can still get solid recoil rods, trijicon sights, and fabricated arms will do optics cuts.
2. Low audible and tactile reset. While the trigger is very good for a polymer pistol and needs little to improve it, the reset is not very tactile or audible.
3. Not factory slides for sale with optics cuts although I spoke to Steyr and this is in the works but no eta.
4. The rail slots sit where lights never seem to be in that perfect place, they work as well as most but rarely sit exactly where I would like it.

If you get a A1 you lose the grip which is a improvement and the new ejector. So I would stick with a A2 series.

Reliability I have not had an issue, really one problem early with a A1 but in the last 5k rounds on that gun nothing. A2 has been solid. I have been recommended to oil it and clean it before taking it out but I didn’t do that. Accuracy has been very good but you have trap sights and that may take some time to get use to it. I’ve never heard of an issue in accuracy with them. Grip angel is more swept then a Glock but you seem to already know that. All that said I am a fan of Steyr and this is a old picture that lacks my two recent purchases so take my view with that bias in mind. My daily carry is a C9A2 although as we hit 100 plus here I often move to synthetic shorts and polos where I tend to move to a smaller gun like the sig 938 for size concealment. Also here is a pic of the three A2 sizes available (M/C/L) as well as the above mentioned light position Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
edit to mention on the A2 you may find with the L9 only some pistols have just the FCU (designated by atf) listed with the SN and some with both the FCU(still designated by atf) and grip with the SN. While they add the SN on all parts like HK, the grip change was made after the first few shipments into the states to satisfy other contracts not the US. As always if you in Az and want to meet at a local range to try them out, the invite is there, I’ve met quite a few arfcomers to help decided, especially on Steyr or bullpups since I have a few of those.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 12:44:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Thank you for the info, and the offer of range time, I live in Ohio, so that's not an option, however.

I'm going to do some price shopping at the shops you mention.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top