Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2023 11:42:25 AM EDT
What are some compact .45ACP carry guns that hold 10+1?

Glock 30S
Springfield XD/XDM elite

What else? The M&P45 is not really a carry gun due to size, and I'm specifically looking at 10+1 capacity.
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 11:49:30 AM EDT
[#1]
HK45C has 10 round mags with the grip extension.
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 11:53:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I was about to post M&P45

My carry gun is a full sized M&P

9mm if I go into town

40cal in the woods

with a proper CCW belt and IWB it’s very comfortable and easy to carry under a T-shirt

….hell, I carried a full size steel 1911 for many years

Link Posted: 4/15/2023 12:20:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

9mm if I go into town

40cal in the woods

with a proper CCW belt and IWB it’s very comfortable and easy to carry under a T-shirt

View Quote

I'm definitely in agreement, and I have my M1911s and M&Ps for that purpose.

But for this specific role, I'm looking for a 10+1 compact .45ACP pistol, just to fill a spot that my larger guns, or smaller 9mm guns, aren't ideal for, for me.
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 1:29:55 PM EDT
[#4]
After the G30, all others are superfluous.
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 1:36:39 PM EDT
[#5]
If only Glock would make a 30 with a three finger grip.

I've heard good things about this.
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 2:08:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ah, not this shit again.

I would actually like a 19 length grip, it does feel somewhat unstable.  That XD looks like a solid option (9+1).  I watched some reviews last night (1911 sgt.) and they were all favorable.
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 2:17:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Glock 19

Link Posted: 4/15/2023 2:18:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Ah, not this shit again.

I would actually like a 19 length grip, it does feel somewhat unstable.  That XD looks like a solid option (9+1).  I watched some reviews last night (1911 sgt.) and they were all favorable.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, not this shit again.

You could have someone like Battlecock Tactical extend the grip on a 30 so that it takes the 10rd mags with a flat base plate.
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 2:27:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I wonder why the bureaucrats selected 10 rounds as the limit...as if some kind of magic prevents guns with 10 round magazines from harming anyone, and makes them magically obey all laws.  Back around 1850-1890 folks were killing the hell out of other people with revolvers that were normally loaded with only five rounds...
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 3:38:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I just got a new 30S.
Mags say 10rds but 9 is what they actually hold.
Altering follower legs by a 1/16 of an inch will get you 10rds.
I carry 9+1 with 10 in extra mag.
Good Luck
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 3:43:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Glock 30S.  My daily carry.

Great shooter, will fit in some G19 holsters, and 13 round G21 mags for back up. Both my G30 and G21 mags hold 10 and 13 without difficulty.

Find some of these and sleep well at night.

https://www.luckygunner.com/45-acp-230-gr-jhp-hst-federal-law-enforcement-p45hst2s-20-rounds#geltest

Link Posted: 4/15/2023 4:03:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah, the newer XDM seems like a great option. The "pointy in the front" magwell arms very unergonomic though.

What is this?
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 4:16:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What is this?
View All Quotes
Strike 80 I converted to .45 ACP.  Uses Para P12 mags and a modified Glock 36 barrel in a very heavily modified G23 slide.
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 4:57:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Glock 30 or 30s.
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 9:50:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Sig P250 carry
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 8:16:58 AM EDT
[#16]
I just carry a Glock 36 with two spare mags.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 10:58:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Strike 80 I converted to .45 ACP.  Uses Para P12 mags and a modified Glock 36 barrel in a very heavily modified G23 slide.
View Quote

That's super sweet! Very cool!
Talking about using a gen 2 G23 slide, I did that for a while with the same P80 frame, a very handy package.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 5:18:01 AM EDT
[#18]
I carried a G21 for a couple years for work and put thousands of rounds on it.

Great gun... but if you need to hide it I’d lean towards the G30 which was also great.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 10:31:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Attachment Attached File

RIA BBR 3.10
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 10:50:15 PM EDT
[#20]
XDM compact.

Shot and carried one for years.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 4:31:53 AM EDT
[#21]
The XD m elite in 45 cal is a good one !
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 2:05:28 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a Shield 45 and full size M&P 45.  The shield holds 6+1 or 7+1 depending on the magazine.  The M&P holds 10+1.  I am not sure you are going to find a compact 45 that holds 10.  That said the full-size M&P is very comfortable to carry.  Also like the shield for carry.  I do have some Hyve Tech +1 mag extensions for the shield.  They work to hold +1 but makes the mag really long.  

You might have to go to a 9mm if you want compact gun with capacity.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 2:19:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The XD m elite in 45 cal is a good one !
View Quote

More details? That's the one that I am really considering right now.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 8:14:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have a Shield 45 and full size M&P 45.  The shield holds 6+1 or 7+1 depending on the magazine.  The M&P holds 10+1.  I am not sure you are going to find a compact 45 that holds 10.  That said the full-size M&P is very comfortable to carry.  Also like the shield for carry.  I do have some Hyve Tech +1 mag extensions for the shield.  They work to hold +1 but makes the mag really long.  

View Quote

The Glock 30 is 10+1.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 6:45:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The Glock 30 is 10+1.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Glock 30 is 10+1.

I know, but it's not Shield small.  I guess I was confused on the "compact" size for this request.  If the width is not an issue, the G30 would be a great compact carry.  I always assume people want thin with carry.  My bad.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 6:52:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Was looking hard at the XDM Elite.  And just found out it's not on MD's approved list.
WTF.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 8:05:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I know, but it's not Shield small.  I guess I was confused on the "compact" size for this request.  If the width is not an issue, the G30 would be a great compact carry.  I always assume people want thin with carry.  My bad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I do want thin and carryable. The regular Glock 30 would be out of the question, but the 30s is a maybe. I just don't like Glocks, so the XD/XDM seems like the winner at the moment. It doesn't appear that any other firearm really meets the criteria yet... But as I mentioned before, a Hellcat Pro in .45 with a 10+1 capacity would be absolutely ideal.

Quoted:
Was looking hard at the XDM Elite.  And just found out it's not on MD's approved list.
WTF.

That's so sweet that the crown "protects" you by having an approved list...

That place sucks.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 8:18:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 8:35:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I do want thin and carryable. The regular Glock 30 would be out of the question, but the 30s is a maybe. I just don't like Glocks, so the XD/XDM seems like the winner at the moment. It doesn't appear that any other firearm really meets the criteria yet... But as I mentioned before, a Hellcat Pro in .45 with a 10+1 capacity would be absolutely ideal.

That place sucks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
WTF.

That place sucks.

If you have a place you can rent pistols, maybe try a few.  I did that with the Shield 45 years ago.  I rented a G26, G30 and small Sig 9mm 1911 thing (p938) and the Shield.  I liked both Glocks but the size of the Shield sold me for carry.  I don't think I am given up much with 2 less rounds for the size/comfort.  The sig p938 was small, but all metal and not pleasant to shoot.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 9:39:35 AM EDT
[#30]
I have the original XDM 3.8 45 and it is a great shooter. I never carry it but would. Good luck, OP
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 11:10:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
WTF.
View Quote
It's time consuming but not difficult to have it added.  Or have some ship it to your FFL stripped, then it transfers as a frame and there's no frame registry.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 2:08:21 PM EDT
[#32]
I think the Glock 30 is slightly smaller than the xdm 3.8 elite. I just measured my elite and it is 5" tall, that seems to be the most influential dimension that impacts concealability  to me. Next would be width.

Most 45's are around 5.5-5.75" high, and hold 8-10 rounds. I would say the xdm elite conceals a little better.

The shield will carry a little better since it is lighter and thinner. I dislike the grip though because it snags cover garments so well. Anytime you move, bend over, get out of a seat, your shirt is all snagged up. Yes you can sand it down, but it still does it.

Also remember that every 230gr 45 acp round adds 1 ounce. Same goes for spare mags, and I carry the 13 rounders for spares and they suck compared to a single stack. Other downside with the xdm elite is it is a 2 finger grip, so you might pinch your pinky on a reload. Not really an issue if it's mostly for carry and not much shooting. I also removed the magwell, pointless on the compact since your pinky rides right in the middle of it, way more comfy grip without.

I had a shield 45 and sold it. Wasn't a fan of the grip for carrying. It was very accurate though, I just like aluminum framed 1911's better for that size (officer framed). I picked up a xdm elite because it was about the same height of the shield, just a little wider and had more capacity.

Link Posted: 4/20/2023 7:16:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I think the Glock 30 is slightly smaller than the xdm 3.8 elite. I just measured my elite and it is 5" tall, that seems to be the most influential dimension that impacts concealability  to me. Next would be width.

Most 45's are around 5.5-5.75" high, and hold 8-10 rounds. I would say the xdm elite conceals a little better.

The shield will carry a little better since it is lighter and thinner. I dislike the grip though because it snags cover garments so well. Anytime you move, bend over, get out of a seat, your shirt is all snagged up. Yes you can sand it down, but it still does it.

Also remember that every 230gr 45 acp round adds 1 ounce. Same goes for spare mags, and I carry the 13 rounders for spares and they suck compared to a single stack. Other downside with the xdm elite is it is a 2 finger grip, so you might pinch your pinky on a reload. Not really an issue if it's mostly for carry and not much shooting. I also removed the magwell, pointless on the compact since your pinky rides right in the middle of it, way more comfy grip without.

I had a shield 45 and sold it. Wasn't a fan of the grip for carrying. It was very accurate though, I just like aluminum framed 1911's better for that size (officer framed). I picked up a xdm elite because it was about the same height of the shield, just a little wider and had more capacity.

View Quote

I agree with all of that.
I got to try out the XDM Elite today and was very disappointed in the grip. It's shorter unnecessarily; they gave it a two finger grip, but the magazine is still normal length, so it makes no sense. They should have just made the grip come down to the bottom of the magazine. That would be easy to do actually, since it already has a modular magwell component.

Honestly, the only gun that meets my criteria at the moment seems to be the original XD .45 Compact. The Glock 30S might as well, but I'm not a fan of the Glock grip angle. The M&P45C would have been perfect if it held 10, or if the M&P45 midsize had a shorter grip.

Anyway, I'll try out an XD45C when I can, and might just get another one of those, until Springfield makes a 10+1 Hellcat Pro in .45.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 2:45:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

I just gave my 30S to my brother, I have not shot in the past 10 years.  He wanted something for the house and the 30S will be perfect for that.  When I hear 10 round .45 pistol, there is basically one answer, a Glock 30
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 7:11:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2023 7:57:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Nobody ever mentions the Beretta PX4 Storm in .45.  Nice pistola.

Link Posted: 4/29/2023 4:48:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Try the Walther .45.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 7:01:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Try the Walther .45.

These are both full size duty style guns. I'm looking for a mid-size compact carry pistol, with 10+1 capacity.
Personally, I'm definitely not into double action.

So far, only the Glock 30S and Springfield XD45C seem to meet those specifics, and for me, the XD45C is my preference thus far. The short grip and extended pinky rest on the Glock aren't the best.

The market needs more options in this category!
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 8:17:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The market needs more options in this category!
View Quote
I agree.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:48:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I agree.
View Quote

GIVE US HELLCAT PRO .45ACP 10+1
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 12:21:15 PM EDT
[#41]
I built a non-catalogued Gen 4 30S (36 slide, 29 receiver).

The frame isn't any skinnier than the 30, but the slide is.

It carries 10+1, and a Pierce Grip base makes it feel right.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 12:25:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

M&P45 is nice. with the small back strap it is very close to the M&P9's dimensions.

The Glock 30 and even 30S are still kinda thicc.

If you can carry a Glock 19, you can carry the M&P imo. It's a 45ACP that carries like a double stack 9mm  The grip is between the G17 and G19 for reference.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 12:31:53 PM EDT
[#43]
When I heard that S&W was coming out with the M&P 45 M2.0 Compact I was excited until I found out it's just the M&P45 with a shorter barrel.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 12:40:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
When I heard that S&W was coming out with the M&P 45 M2.0 Compact I was excited until I found out it's just the M&P45 with a shorter barrel.
View Quote
They made the 8rd version in 2.0 for a very brief time.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 1:01:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

The M&P 45 full size was my duty gun for a long time, and I absolutely love it. I also carried the compact for many years. Unfortunately, the version with a compact grip only holds 8 + 1, and the midsize holds 10 + 1. While the compact is the perfect size, it just does not have the capacity. If S&W had somehow made the compact version ever so slightly thicker to fit those extra two rounds, it would have been a winner for me.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 2:14:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The M&P 45 full size was my duty gun for a long time, and I absolutely love it. I also carried the compact for many years. Unfortunately, the version with a compact grip only holds 8 + 1, and the midsize holds 10 + 1. While the compact is the perfect size, it just does not have the capacity. If S&W had somehow made the compact version ever so slightly thicker to fit those extra two rounds, it would have been a winner for me.
View Quote
I'm not a fan of the compact slide/full size frame concept.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:35:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

But for this specific role, I'm looking for a 10+1 compact .45ACP pistol, just to fill a spot that my larger guns, or smaller 9mm guns, aren't ideal for, for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

9mm if I go into town

40cal in the woods

I hate that Smith cancelled the 2.0 Subcompact 45 so quick. Seemed like it would be a sweet gun. I always keep an eye out for them but haven’t scored one yet. Think Shield 45 just cannibilized it.

Glock 30S is also on my radar

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 1:06:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I built a non-catalogued Gen 4 30S (36 slide, 29 receiver).

The frame isn't any skinnier than the 30, but the slide is.

It carries 10+1, and a Pierce Grip base makes it feel right.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18978/G30S_jpg-2799786.JPG
View Quote

That is slick!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top