Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2021 12:26:28 PM EDT
Picked up a Hellcat that is ready for a red dot. This will be my EDC. Not looking to break the bank, but obviously, do not want some Chinese junk.

Link Posted: 3/14/2021 12:32:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Holosun is what I would recommend. 507k. Despite being Chinese.

You can get the RMRcc, but Holosun is what most people have been happy with, including myself.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 1:14:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Holosun is what I would recommend. 507k. Despite being Chinese.

You can get the RMRcc, but Holosun is what most people have been happy with, including myself.
View Quote

Don't you need to modify something to get them to fit?

I just picked up a hellcat the other night due to your thread in GD a week or so ago and I'm loving it. Took it to the range yesterday, the sights are amazing.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 1:16:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Don't you need to modify something to get them to fit?

I just picked up a hellcat the other night due to your thread in GD a week or so ago and I'm loving it. Took it to the range yesterday, the sights are amazing.
View Quote

You need to remove 2 lugs and file two of them down.  Most people do it with a Dremel. I was a schmuck and sent mine out and paid to have it milled down professionally.

I was getting mine NP3+ coated anyway so figured might as well have them do it right before getting it coated so it looks factory.

Turned out really well.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 1:32:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like the Hex Wasp, made for the Hellcat, is about same $ as Holosun so may as well do that vs having to modify, right? ;)
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 5:26:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Of course! The Hex Wasp is on 60 day backorder...
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 5:41:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Where can someone place an order for the hex wasp to get on the list?
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 5:56:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Where can someone place an order for the hex wasp to get on the list?
View Quote

https://www.hexoptics.com/wasp-micro-red-dot-sight/

It will direct you to the Springfield Armory store page.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 7:02:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Wasp vs SMSc?
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 4:16:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Wasp vs SMSc?
View Quote

I chose the Wasp. Big differences: Wasp has aluminum body and glass lens. SMSc has a polymer body and polymer lens. Both are the same price...
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 7:01:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I chose the Wasp. Big differences: Wasp has aluminum body and glass lens. SMSc has a polymer body and polymer lens. Both are the same price...
View Quote

& Wasp has a 60 day backorder. I'm not doing competitive shooting or doing things that would damage it. Ordered the Shield SMSc yesterday b/c Wasp not available.

SA created their own optic line then made it unavailable lol
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 7:29:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

& Wasp has a 60 day backorder. I'm not doing competitive shooting or doing things that would damage it. Ordered the Shield SMSc yesterday b/c Wasp not available.

View Quote

Exactly what they did with the Hellcat.

Should have gone 507k.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 8:38:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don’t think they made it unavailable. I think they sold out super quick. I ordered one within a day or two after they announced they were available. Ordered it on a Tuesday, got it on Friday. It wasn’t long before they were back ordered.

SMSc would have been my next choice. Almost bought one over the weekend before SA announced the Wasp on Monday.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 10:05:51 AM EDT
[#13]
The Wasp was in stock as of last night. Out of stock when I went to order it this morning.

Whats everyone’s opinion of the Shield for the hellcat? Just wondering if I should hold out.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 3:22:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The Wasp was in stock as of last night. Out of stock when I went to order it this morning.

Whats everyone’s opinion of the Shield for the hellcat? Just wondering if I should hold out.
View Quote

I haven't heard a lot of bad things about the Shield. Difference is what you are going to get for the price.

The Wasp has an aluminum body and glass lens. Price is $299. The Shield SMSc has a polymer body and polymer lens. Price is $299. The RSMc has the aluminum body, but a polymer lens for $399. You can choose the option of a glass lens on either Shield for $80 more, I believe. Shield also says on their website that if you go with the glass lens, it will stick out past the frame of the RDS. The Wasp body covers the entire lens. So IMO, you get a lot more bang for the buck with the Wasp.

Other than the materials used, I believe they are pretty similar. They are all "always on" and have "auto-dim". All 3 use the same battery and it is located under the RDS. I think they do this to make the sight as low profile as possible to be able to co-witness with iron sights. When you add a cover on top of the sight, it adds thickness to the sight.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 8:01:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Just installed an RMRcc.  It’s kinda high with the adapter plate and there’s no co-witness with the original irons.  We’ll see how it works out.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 9:46:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just installed an RMRcc.  It’s kinda high with the adapter plate and there’s no co-witness with the original irons.  We’ll see how it works out.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/92450/262D4ABE-6410-41E4-8C11-BE6646899916_jpe-1869614.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/92450/4D7CD52D-8F9F-4389-B266-9599F8C76758_jpe-1869616.JPG
View Quote

Wow that's tall.

Why not just mill the slide?
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 9:40:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Wow that's tall.

Why not just mill the slide?
View Quote

It’s the factory cut out, which doesn’t work with the RMR, thus the need for the adapter plate.  I might do something different with it.  Not sure yet.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 9:42:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It’s the factory cut out, which doesn’t work with the RMR, thus the need for the adapter plate.  I might do something different with it.  Not sure yet.
View Quote

I know it doesn't work out of the box without an adapter plate. That's why I asked about milling it.

You can get a nice close fit my removing two lugs, and shortening the other to by ten mils or so.

My Hellcat/507k. Same footprint as RMRcc:

Attachment Attached File

Such a good fit factory sights are still usable.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 10:16:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I know it doesn't work out of the box without an adapter plate. That's why I asked about milling it.

You can get a nice close fit my removing two lugs, and shortening the other to by ten mils or so.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467079/20210212_151350_jpg-1870155.JPG

View Quote

Ah.  Gotcha.  Yeah, I’m not liking it the way it is now.  I’ll probably do something else.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:39:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 4:36:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Super frustrating that the Hellcat doesn’t play nice with either Holosun or RmR.
Played wit my the Hex dot that comes on Hellcat with the brake. Not impressed.
1. Must be removed to change battery
2. Refresh rate on the dot is slow. Annoying
3. Not even close to bright enough in daylight
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 7:02:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467079/20210212_151350_jpg-1870155.JPG

View Quote

Also, the RMRcc is not going to fit on a Hellcat by just removing/shortening the lugs.  It’s slightly longer than the factory cutout.  Anyone know who would do a professional milling job?  I searched and didn’t find the Hellcat listed on any of the popular companies websites.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:53:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Also, the RMRcc is not going to fit on a Hellcat by just removing/shortening the lugs.  It’s slightly longer than the factory cutout.  Anyone know who would do a professional milling job?  I searched and didn’t find the Hellcat listed on any of the popular companies websites.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/92450/DAAD9BDA-4732-45EE-A23B-096DE74B623E_jpe-1870832.JPG
View Quote

Interesting, I'm surprised to see that it's so long.

It took me forever to find someone who would mill it. I wound up sending it to Wright Armory (which worked out as they did the NP3+ treatment on the same visit).  It takes FOREVER though. Door to door was 5 months and 1 day, however most of that wait was for the coating portion of the work order.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 1:58:50 AM EDT
[#24]
So my LGS has the RSMc for $399 and it now has a label on it saying it’s a glasss lens. Now I’m more curious about if. I might pick one up and a wasp since I am waiting on two Hellcats now.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 3:36:09 PM EDT
[#25]
I've got a new Hex Wasp off of my RDP that I'm about to list.... Came on my RDP, so it doesn't have any packaging or manual. I'll be listing it shortly.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 6:30:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've got a new Hex Wasp off of my RDP that I'm about to list.... Came on my RDP, so it doesn't have any packaging or manual. I'll be listing it shortly.
View Quote

@castroyy there should be a wasp manual in the hellcat envelope of papers. My rdp came with one.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 7:53:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Interesting, I'm surprised to see that it's so long.

It took me forever to find someone who would mill it. I wound up sending it to Wright Armory (which worked out as they did the NP3+ treatment on the same visit).  It takes FOREVER though. Door to door was 5 months and 1 day, however most of that wait was for the coating portion of the work order.
View Quote

That's nuts.  I guess I will have to really think about what I want to do with what I've got.  I might just buy a Wasp or Shield and call it a day on this gun.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 8:12:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

@castroyy there should be a wasp manual in the hellcat envelope of papers. My rdp came with one.
View Quote

Yep. TY. Found it in the box. I never look at that crap. But thank you!
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 9:00:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Curious as to why you’re selling it?
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 9:47:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't like it. I like the setup, just didn't like the sight itself. I switched it out for a holosun with a full reticle. The Hex is just a dot, and I can't see it very well. And the auto brightness is horrible. A tiny red dot any my old eyes are no good. I need a larger green reticle. I see green way better then I see red. And tiny Red.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 12:44:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I don't like it. I like the setup, just didn't like the sight itself. I switched it out for a holosun with a full reticle. The Hex is just a dot, and I can't see it very well. And the auto brightness is horrible. A tiny red dot any my old eyes are no good. I need a larger green reticle. I see green way better then I see red. And tiny Red.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know. Thank you! I have a Holosun on one of my XLs. I like it and seems to work well.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 9:32:51 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a Sig Romeo 0 on mine. PITA to shorten the mounting screws, but it works well, and didn't break the bank.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 10:57:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Just modified mine by removing the rear lugs. Everything looks and fits great. My issue is that my 507K came with 2 sets of screws for mounting. Neither  sets of acres work for me. Both sets are a little bit to long. Which screws are you guys using to mount your Holosun. Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 2:16:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Just modified mine by removing the rear lugs. Everything looks and fits great. My issue is that my 507K came with 2 sets of screws for mounting. Neither  sets of acres work for me. Both sets are a little bit to long. Which screws are you guys using to mount your Holosun. Thanks in advance
View Quote

I just ended up ordering the adapter plate. It should be here in a couple days or so.

Hellcat Plate
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 9:41:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I just ended up ordering the adapter plate. It should be here in a couple days or so.

Hellcat Plate
View Quote

Just to confirm you do lose the ability to cowitness with the plate?  I have been looking high and low for an rdp but have not ruled out an osp with a different site. I really want to keep the cowitness though.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 9:45:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Just to confirm you do lose the ability to cowitness with the plate?  I have been looking high and low for an rdp but have not ruled out an osp with a different site. I really want to keep the cowitness though.
View Quote

Seriously just get a 507k.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 12:40:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I can still co-witness with the plate. It's low. But it's there. There was a picture on reddit of the cowitness and you can see it's low. But it's still there.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 8:37:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Has anyone tried the Swampfox Sentenial?
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 8:25:18 AM EDT
[#39]
I strongly suggest filing the lugs with a dremel and going 507k.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 9:12:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Has anyone tried the Swampfox Sentenial?
View Quote

Yup.  I just swapped out the Romeo Zero on my Hellcat for a Sentinel.  Also, put a Justice on my Polymer80.

Both are awesome!  The lenses are a bit larger, so everything is a bit easier to see.  But, especially the Sentinel is still tiny so carry is not an issue.

Both of mine are the Manual brightness, shake to wake.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 12:29:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Question on the 507K for the hellcat, what's the consensus on the color, red or green?  Thanks
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:52:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Question on the 507K for the hellcat, what's the consensus on the color, red or green?  Thanks
View Quote

507k is only red right now. There have been rumors on a green version coming but I havent heard any updates on that in a long time.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 9:20:22 AM EDT
[#43]
So there are no concerns with the Holosun loosening after removing two recoil lugs and shortening the other 2? Seems like those 4 lugs are there for a reason.

Looked through one at PSA yesterday and it wasn't too bad with my astigmatism.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 10:47:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Trijicon RMRcc here.  It's my first pistol red dot so I have nothing to compare it against.  Yes, it sits too high to use the iron sights, which I'm not overjoyed about.  I should have done more research before buying it.  Having said that, I like it.  It's taken me about a week of doing 50+ presentations a day to be pretty sure of picking up the dot right away, but I'm probably around 95% with it now.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 11:08:35 PM EDT
[#45]
I got Springfield's own Hex Wasp sight.  It was backordered for 60 days.

Link Posted: 5/6/2021 3:31:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/62084/hex-1922509.jpg
View Quote

You got a Hellcat with the saftey! Must be brand new, they just came out with them. Hope you like it. I love my Hellcat and also put a Wasp on it. I haven't had any issues whatsoever with it...
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 7:03:16 PM EDT
[#47]
I like my wasp. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 5:37:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You got a Hellcat with the saftey! Must be brand new, they just came out with them. Hope you like it. I love my Hellcat and also put a Wasp on it. I haven't had any issues whatsoever with it...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/62084/hex-1922509.jpg

Yes, I quite often carry such small pistols in a jeans pocket without a holster if I am just going out quickly so like to have the frame mounted safety if I am not having the trigger guard covered.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:17:08 PM EDT
[#49]
I just got my slide back from C&H Precision, it was modified to use the 507k. I haven’t gotten it to the range yet but I like the features and reticle options a lot better than the Hex Wasp that came with the pistol.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 10:23:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Hellcat Plate
View Quote

How did the HS507K work with the CHPWS adapter? I’m considering doing the same as I don’t want to permanently modify the slide.

Do you get any cowitness at all? Look OK? Secure fit?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top