Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2020 1:27:46 AM EDT
Hi

If you reload what projectiles have you used for you Desert Eagle? I'm looking for soft point possibly JHP but I haven't found many budget offerings.

Cheers
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 8:20:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GarrettJ] [#1]
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 9:37:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I like the hornady XTP's the best. Mine seems to like all weights.
I have found bullets with exposed lead on the front tend to jam frequently. I have yet to have a jam using the XTP's (knock on wood)
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 5:55:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GarrettJ:
Hornady XTP bullets work well. I've used them in both 240 and 300 gr. weights.  

For cheap blasting I've used plated bullets from Rainier (now out of buisness) and Berrys.

I had tried some commercial Hi-Tek coated bullets, but noticed a reddish coloring at the gas port.
View Quote

Thank you

The club uses mild steel targets thus fmj's are banned. JHP, soft point etc don't seem to damage the plates.
Locally the Hornady XTPs are available but a box of projectiles is almost the price of a box of ammo so little incentive to reload.
I was going to try HiTek coated but if they've left discoloration in your gas port I'll also avoid them.

Berry's and other brand plated projectiles are quite cheap but I was concerned the plating might strip off. Have you had plenty of success with them, any idea what fps you were loading them too?
Additionally, do you know if they would do more/less damage than a JHP/soft point, on steel? I can't seem to find an answer to this.

On a different note. I recognised your avatar from a thread I was reading on scope mounts. It was an old thread but I believe you were trialing a Nikon angled mount?
I have FX-II 2x20 I'd like to mount but can't find much on what mounts are suitable with the XIX saw blade barrel. What ones worked for you in the end?

Link Posted: 8/23/2020 3:53:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GarrettJ] [#4]
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 1:26:36 AM EDT
[#5]
For less expensive jhps I use the nosler 240 grain bullets.  They do have quite a bit of lead exposed but I have never had a feeding issue.  I will have to look up my COL.  I tested these rounds for expansion and they mushroom pretty easily.  But they had lots of core/jacket separation.  I don't use them for hunting but they will destroy waterfilled milk jugs.  I load them full snort minus a bit for cycling.  I have shot my 3/8 inch thick AR500 steel and you can see a slight dimple in the steel when shooting at 50 yards.  Not good.  Now I only shoot plated bullets.  YMMV.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top