Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2021 8:35:55 AM EDT
A couple of years ago I bought a WC Beretta 92G Brig-Tac. Its a beautiful and well made weapon but after a couple of range trips, I wasn't all that impressed with it. I just didn't shoot it as well as other guns I have so its pretty much sat in the safe since then. I was seriously thinking about selling it but decided to take it out this weekend for one last try before putting it on the block.

This time I really took my time, focused on the basics and was able to shoot some very impressive groups with it but also realized exactly what it was I didn't like about it... The trigger and more specifically, the reset. The reset on this gun is noticeably longer then most of my other guns but what I really didn't like about it is... on most guns (that I have experience with anyway), once the trigger resets, you are right at the wall to break the next shot. On this gun, once you let the trigger out enough to reset, you then have ~1/4-1/2" of take up before hitting the wall for the next shot.

I don't have much experience with Beretta's but I'm assuming this normal? Is this something WC or LTT can "fix" if I sent in my 92 for a trigger job?
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 10:44:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Long resets are a fact of life on DA autos, but you can install a Wilson Combat short reach trigger to help it somewhat.

They take some getting used to in the age of the striker-fired auto, but they do get better with time and use. Berettas are one of the few pistols I know of that the triggers get better the more you use them.

A very light application of a good weapon grease on the internals is also a good way to improve the feel of your trigger mechanism. I like Cherry Balmz, but even automotive grease will do, applied sparingly and strategically to the hammer/sear engagement surfaces, pin axes and other bearing surfaces. I don't suggest doing this if you live in a dusty area, but otherwise it's good to go.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 11:01:27 AM EDT
[#2]
The Langdon Trigger Job In A Bag should really shorten that trigger reset up and lighten the trigger pull.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 1:04:49 PM EDT
[#3]
12-13# hammer spring and a LTT trigger bar (or just do the trigger job in a bag).  The LTT trigger bar makes a ridiculous difference on the reset.  My reset is now shorter than my SRT 226 or DW Vigil.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 1:29:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
12-13# hammer spring and a LTT trigger bar (or just do the trigger job in a bag).  The LTT trigger bar makes a ridiculous difference on the reset.  My reset is now shorter than my SRT 226 or DW Vigil.
View Quote

The best investment in the entire 92/M9 are the LTT trigger bar and "D" spring, followed by everything else in the Trigger Job in a Bag.

If you can't afford anything else, the LTT trigger bar, period.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 1:54:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The best investment in the entire 92/M9 are the LTT trigger bar and "D" spring, followed by everything else in the Trigger Job in a Bag.

View Quote

This.

I prefer the LTT trigger bar to the Wilson.   The reset is stupid short and crisp.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 2:12:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks I will have to look into that. My gun already has the D spring and the trigger overall is pretty good. I wouldn't mind it being a little lighter but its smooth and breaks clean, its just the reset I don't care for.

Other then shortening the reset, does the LTT trigger bar also remove the takeup after the reset? That's the part that's really weird to me and apparently Sig's SRT kit eliminates the takeup after reset on their guns.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 2:24:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Other then shortening the reset, does the LTT trigger bar also remove the takeup after the reset? That's the part that's really weird to me and apparently Sig's SRT kit eliminates the takeup after reset on their guns.
View Quote

There will always be takeup on 92 series because that's what activates the firing pin block. You can see it protruding out of the top the slide.

Maybe an adjustable trigger would help so you can adjust the pre and over travel.

BTW i have the LTT optimized trigger bar on my 92X compact and it reduces the reset significantly.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 2:46:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

There will always be takeup on 92 series because that's what activates the firing pin block. You can see it protruding out of the top the slide.

Maybe an adjustable trigger would help so you can adjust the pre and over travel.

BTW i have the LTT optimized trigger bar on my 92X compact and it reduces the reset significantly.
View Quote

OK - good to know. I just want to have realistic expectations. Thanks
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 3:22:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Langdon Trigger Job in a Bag and a Wilson Combat short reach trigger will dramatically improve the trigger feel.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 1:35:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I was not impressed with the Langdon TJIAB.  The bar removes the audible and tactile reset.  The reset is shorter but you now have to guess where it is, which can lead to short stroking.
You can get the same results, minus LTT trigger bar, going with a 12# hammer spring and polishing all contact points.  If you don't run an elite(skeletonized) hammer you'll need a 13# or 14# hammer spring.
You can always add a LTT trigger bar later for $70. $165 for the bar and some polished parts is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 3:40:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I was not impressed with the Langdon TJIAB.  The bar removes the audible and tactile reset.  The reset is shorter but you now have to guess where it is, which can lead to short stroking.
You can get the same results, minus LTT trigger bar, going with a 12# hammer spring and polishing all contact points.  If you don't run an elite(skeletonized) hammer you'll need a 13# or 14# hammer spring.
You can always add a LTT trigger bar later for $70. $165 for the bar and some polished parts is ridiculous.
View Quote

I just tested reset in 7 different 92's with the Langdon trigger bar, and all of them had a tactile and audible reset.  That being said, the length of the reset does vary slightly from gun to gun, as does the degree of audible/tactile feedback.  I'm assuming that's due to tolerances, whether in the frame, the bar, or some other trigger component.  I'm not doubting your experience, but I do think it's an outlier.  There's definitely some variance in Beretta frames; I have a 92 compact that absolutely refused to drop the hammer with the Langdon trigger bar until I stoned the hell out of the bar.  All the other ones were a drop-in fit.

As far as the TJIAB goes, I have two of them.  In my 92X Centurion, the trigger is amazing.  In my 92A1, it's good, but not better than I can do myself.  My opinion is that it's worth it if you're planning on replacing all of the parts that are in the kit anyway.  In that case, you don't save enough by just buying the parts to make doing the polishing yourself worth it.  If you're not planning on replacing all of the parts anyway, just buy the trigger bar and a 13lb hammer spring and shoot it.  Polishing parts will help, but they'll slick up pretty well from use too.

The trigger bar also helps with overtravel, which is the main issue that I have with stock 92 triggers.  

I don't find the Wilson trigger to help with reset.  It does shorten the trigger reach though, which might be beneficial.  I'm not aware of any trigger that reduces pre-travel on any DA/SA Beretta.  It's possible to do with a SAO gun, but I don't know of any way to limit the travel of the trigger and still maintain DA functionality.  Beretta does sell a trigger with a set screw in it to adjust overtravel, but I've found that the Langdon trigger bar does a good enough job of this that the set screw trigger isn't necessary.

Link Posted: 3/31/2021 8:55:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Long resets are a fact of life on DA autos, but you can install a Wilson Combat short reach trigger to help it somewhat.

View Quote

Not necessarily, most of the Sigs I own have the "Short Reset Trigger" trigger kit. It definitely helps followup shots, a LOT.

As far as Berettas and "target" use goes, none of the many (92/96) I have or have had could make the claim that they're accurate enough to satisfy "X" ring seekers. There was one exception... an old 96D I had in the 90's was insanely accurate, like a dolt I sold it.

PS. It's likely WC, Landon et al all use a "D" mainspring so it's unlikely buying one will help the OP.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 6:56:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Not necessarily, most of the Sigs I own have the "Short Reset Trigger" trigger kit. It definitely helps followup shots, a LOT.

As far as Berettas and "target" use goes, none of the many (92/96) I have or have had could make the claim that they're accurate enough to satisfy "X" ring seekers. There was one exception... an old 96D I had in the 90's was insanely accurate, like a dolt I sold it.

PS. It's likely WC, Landon et al all use a "D" mainspring so it's unlikely buying one will help the OP.
View Quote

I've never felt the reset on the Beretta to be a problem, but I can see how someone more accustomed to other trigger systems might have some issues with it.

As far as "target" use and the ability to chew out an X ring goes, the 92 series wasn't really designed for that, so I consider it a non-issue. All of mine are more accurate than I can hold, and that's good enough.

My better half just got a 92X Performance, and the trigger on that thing is insanely good, and it's quite accurate enough to gnaw the X ring out of a target every time. We shot it a few days ago, and I have to admit, I can see what all the fuss was about. It's a damn fine pistol.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 1:16:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I just tested reset in 7 different 92's with the Langdon trigger bar, and all of them had a tactile and audible reset.  That being said, the length of the reset does vary slightly from gun to gun, as does the degree of audible/tactile feedback.  I'm assuming that's due to tolerances, whether in the frame, the bar, or some other trigger component.  I'm not doubting your experience, but I do think it's an outlier.  There's definitely some variance in Beretta frames; I have a 92 compact that absolutely refused to drop the hammer with the Langdon trigger bar until I stoned the hell out of the bar.  All the other ones were a drop-in fit.

As far as the TJIAB goes, I have two of them.  In my 92X Centurion, the trigger is amazing.  In my 92A1, it's good, but not better than I can do myself.  My opinion is that it's worth it if you're planning on replacing all of the parts that are in the kit anyway.  In that case, you don't save enough by just buying the parts to make doing the polishing yourself worth it.  If you're not planning on replacing all of the parts anyway, just buy the trigger bar and a 13lb hammer spring and shoot it.  Polishing parts will help, but they'll slick up pretty well from use too.

The trigger bar also helps with overtravel, which is the main issue that I have with stock 92 triggers.  

I don't find the Wilson trigger to help with reset.  It does shorten the trigger reach though, which might be beneficial.  I'm not aware of any trigger that reduces pre-travel on any DA/SA Beretta.  It's possible to do with a SAO gun, but I don't know of any way to limit the travel of the trigger and still maintain DA functionality.  Beretta does sell a trigger with a set screw in it to adjust overtravel, but I've found that the Langdon trigger bar does a good enough job of this that the set screw trigger isn't necessary.

View Quote

Didn't consider that, you're probably right.  Even if it did give me the feedback I prefer, still not worth $70 to me.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 11:19:30 AM EDT
[#15]
My trigger job ran me about $25-30.

1) Reduced power trigger return spring from Wolff Gunsprings.

2) 14lb (or so) mainspring from Wolff.

3) Recoil spring +2lbs over OEM rating.

Trigger reset nor travel has never been an issue with me.

The polymer triggers in the new models won't accept the Wolff return trigger spring. It will need a metal trigger installed.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 11:23:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Another vote for an LTT trigger bar and the factory D spring.

Link Posted: 4/3/2021 5:48:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I like the LTT trigger bar and WC short reach trigger in my 2x 92s.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 6:02:12 PM EDT
[#18]
When the Beretta 92F first hit the market me and my friend both bought one. The triggers were terrible on both.
Back then I did some research and a old Police armorors trick is to replace the mainspring with a 23LB mainspring from a full size 1911.
So I did that to both guns. It requires taking the grips off, knock out the roll pin the holds the Lanlard loop, the old spring should slide off the hammer strut and the new spring slides over it.
Replace the Lanyard loop tube and roll pin and grips.
Trigger pull will be a whole lot better. In fact my Beretta once shot a 5 shot one hole group with Winchester 147 gr. law enforcement ammo.
I checked with Beretta at the time and they said that modification was ok.
I would say that you should keep up with recoil spring change intervals.
Me and my friend got hundreds of round through our guns with no Misfires

Give it a try, it's fast, easy, cheap, and reversible if you don't like it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 9:14:01 AM EDT
[#19]
@Lumpy196  How is the reset?
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 11:52:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
@Lumpy196  How is the reset?
View Quote

Noticeably shorter than factory spec, especially after some dry fire and shooting.

The speed of reset and tactile feel aren't quite as crisp and positive as a full Langdon trigger job.  If you have the time and means, having Langdon do the work would be worth it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 12:07:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks.  The pistol I'm referring to with lack of reset was a 92x with trigger job from Langdon.
I put the oem trigger bar back in and the reset came back.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 6:03:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Thanks.  The pistol I'm referring to with lack of reset was a 92x with trigger job from Langdon.
View Quote

I'd make Langdon fix that then.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 10:06:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't think about it at the time, and what I saw on the internal parts did not inspire confidence.
I was happy with the oem trigger bar and sold the LTT bar.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 5:46:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Dude take it to a gunsmith. I have a 92sb with a trigger job and it is the best shooting pistol I have ever owned. it's prolly the best 2-stage trigger I have ever felt.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 9:47:05 AM EDT
[#25]
On service pistols I tend to leave them as is and work on fundamentals and practical accuracy.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 9:46:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Just to follow up...

Quoted:
The LTT trigger bar makes a ridiculous difference on the reset.  My reset is now shorter than my SRT 226 or DW Vigil.
View Quote

Yup, this was the ticket. The LTT trigger bar took my Beretta from having the longest resets of any gun I own to one of the shortest. It also removed 90% of the take up after reset too. helped a little for DA pull weight (average went from ~9lbs before to ~8lbs now) but it didn't do anything for SA pull weight (averages ~4.75-5lbs in SA).

Overall I am MUCH happier with the trigger now. I may do something down the road to lower the SA weight but I'm going to leave it as is for now.

Just wanted to say thanks for leading me in the right direction.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 10:59:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Just to follow up...

Yup, this was the ticket. The LTT trigger bar took my Beretta from having the longest resets of any gun I own to one of the shortest. It also removed 90% of the take up after reset too. helped a little for DA pull weight (average went from ~9lbs before to ~8lbs now) but it didn't do anything for SA pull weight (averages ~4.75-5lbs in SA).

Overall I am MUCH happier with the trigger now. I may do something down the road to lower the SA weight but I'm going to leave it as is for now.

Just wanted to say thanks for leading me in the right direction.
View Quote

That's great to hear.  Someone on reddit put me onto the LTT bar and I feel obliged to pass it forward.  

A #12 or #13 hammer spring should get you to where you want to be (SA sub 4 lbs).
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 5:36:58 AM EDT
[#28]
The Langdon D spring with the polished ends, the Langdon Optimized Trigger Bar, and the Beretta steel trigger. Not the Wilson short reach one. That's the best combo to me. I don't even change the hammer.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 8:00:18 AM EDT
[#29]
I have a WC Brig Tac and a 92FS that was redone by WC with their trigger module.  Both are quite spectacular and the 92 with WC trigger module might be slightly better.  The reset is super short on both so I’m surprised to read you think the reset is long.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 9:14:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have a WC Brig Tac and a 92FS that was redone by WC with their trigger module.  Both are quite spectacular and the 92 with WC trigger module might be slightly better.  The reset is super short on both so I’m surprised to read you think the reset is long.
View Quote

I don't think it was long, it was long and the difference between the bar it came with and the LTT bar is night and day.

Did you buy your WC Brig Tac new? Does it have the WC trigger job? Some do, some don't but its not standard. From what your saying it sounds like yours does but I know for sure mine doesn't. From what I understand, you (or the dealer who ordered it) has to buy the gun directly from WC and request the trigger job.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 9:20:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Langdon Trigger job in a bag and Wilson Combat short reach trigger.  That's the non-gunsmith solution.  [/thread]
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 9:46:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I don't think it was long, it was long and the difference between the bar it came with and the LTT bar is night and day.

Did you buy your WC Brig Tac new? Does it have the WC trigger job? Some do, some don't but its not standard. From what your saying it sounds like yours does but I know for sure mine doesn't. From what I understand, you (or the dealer who ordered it) has to buy the gun directly from WC and request the trigger job.
View Quote

I bought it new and I’m not sure if the Brig Tac came with anything more than the standard trigger done in that gun.  However, the 92 that i sent them may have more work. The smith that worked on it actually called me to discuss so I’m assuming that, which I think is slightly better, has a bit more work.  He did comment that when he first got it was the worst Beretta trigger he’d ever felt.

Eta:  I fired the 92FS yesterday and it’s still fantastic.  I’ll try and run the WC Brig Tac today.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 2:08:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Truth.   The reset on the LTT trigger bar is noticeably shorter than the WC variety.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 5:52:42 PM EDT
[#34]
I got the Wilson Combat goodies in my M9 a few years back.  The trigger bar needed to be filed a little, but the short trigger was drop in.  Really like the upgrades, but would probably go with the LTT trigger bar.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top