Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2021 2:53:44 AM EDT
I usually IWB carry a Shield or a CZ P10c, but sometimes I run into situations where I can't carry them so I want to give ankle carrying a try. I have a S&W 442 that I want to try carrying on my ankle but I have no idea what to look for in a good ankle holster. Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 8:35:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Galco ankle glove is what I went with.  It's quite comfortable for the limited use I've given it.  I only use it when driving long distances.  It's easier for me to get at while seat-belted in than whatever I've got IWB.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 12:49:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I know a couple of people who use Galco Ankle Gloves as well and are happy with them for what they are; they're definitely a niche type holster.  If you are a power lifter, cyclist, fat, etc. and have thick calves an ankle holster may not work for you.  You will definitely need to practice with it; I think it's Massad Ayoob who has good video on how to draw from them.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 1:25:09 PM EDT
[#3]
There is no such thing as a good ankle holster as it is a horrible place to carry a gun.  It interferes with basic things you need to do...run...walk...get in and out of cars quickly...drive...and you are highly likely to end up punt kicking your pistol across a parking lot if you try to do these things with a gun on your ankle.

Then again, 38 revolvers are sub optimal too...
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 1:39:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know a couple of people who use Galco Ankle Gloves as well and are happy with them for what they are; they're definitely a niche type holster.  If you are a power lifter, cyclist, fat, etc. and have thick calves an ankle holster may not work for you.  You will definitely need to practice with it; I think it's Massad Ayoob who has good video on how to draw from them.
View Quote

Galco sells an "Ankle Glove Extender."  I have one but don't need it.  The basic unit goes around duty boots with ease.  If you need the extension, let me know and we'll work a deal.

I don't advocate ankle carry either, except for backup.  There are better options if normal carry isn't possible.

It is nice when seated though and yes, great for backup.

If you get the Ankle Glove, definitely get the "calf suspension" or whatever.  The holster has a tendency to migrate down the calf if you walk a lot.  I also opted for the thumb break, draw is just as fast and you'll appreciate the extra security.

Also, when wearing, wear black socks.  If your pants leg goes up, you'll want the holster to blend in with the black socks and not stand out against a white (sock) background.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 2:12:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Galco sells an "Ankle Glove Extender."  I have one but don't need it.  The basic unit goes around duty boots with ease.  If you need the extension, let me know and we'll work a deal.

I don't advocate ankle carry either, except for backup.  There are better options if normal carry isn't possible.

If you get the Ankle Glove, definitely get the "calf suspension" or whatever.  The holster has a tendency to migrate down the calf if you walk a lot.  I also opted for the thumb break, draw is just as fast and you'll appreciate the extra security.

Also, when wearing, wear black socks.  If your pants leg goes up, you'll want the holster to blend in with the black socks and not stand out against a white (sock) background.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the offer but I don't own one; a lot of the cops I know have them (or now a lot of them have the holsters that lace onto their boots) as well as a couple of people like doctors who wear scrubs and one friend who drives a truck.  I tried one of the Galcos that belonged to a friend but in order to be able to snatch my pant leg up and access the gun quickly I'd have to wear bell bottoms or other baggy pants (years of cycling, lifting, playing soccer and Scottish ancestors ).  If I'm going to be driving a lot, doing tractor or bulldozer work, etc. I sometimes use a shoulder holster but that's a whole different can of worms.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 11:51:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Galco Ankle Glove. Concealment is less than ideal if you don't have tall-ish boots(think corcoran paratrooper boots height) to keep them from sliding into view. If you have your pants a bit longer (or just don't care) it likely works fine. Ankle holsters are meant to be worn right above the ankle, and it does not slip below that... but if I cross my legs or put one leg on the knee, my ankle shows, the holster sometimes shows as well. Now, carrying it with tall boots does make access slower, but I'm sacrificing access speed for maximum concealment. I'm trading no access to a gun for slow access to a gun. With the tall boots I can do everything but stand on my head and there's never a sign of anything.
Absolutely no problems with the gun shifting positions (i.e. rotating around your leg), no problems with the gun even beginning to try and come out of the holster, even when running. No thumb-break, a used holster. Comfortable for all-day use.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 12:19:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Remora works for me. I can carry on ankle or as a sticky holster. Was the best I tried of the several I have bought.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 8:54:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
There is no such thing as a good ankle holster as it is a horrible place to carry a gun.  It interferes with basic things you need to do...run...walk...get in and out of cars quickly...drive...and you are highly likely to end up punt kicking your pistol across a parking lot if you try to do these things with a gun on your ankle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Complete and total BS if you have a quality holster and appropriate gun.

The Galco Ankle Glove is pretty much the gold standard and I've had one for years. I use it with a G43 and it has been damn near perfect for its intended purpose without any of the imaginary issues FedDC posted with only 2 caveats...

1. The G43 is lighter and slimmer then a snub-nose revolver and I could see it being a little more problematic with an all steel revo. That said, many LEO's have carried snub-nosed revo's in ankle holsters for years as BUGs so it can't be that bad. Still, if the gun had to be a revo I would prefer one of the lightweight DAO models.

2. Make sure you wear good socks that stay in place and aren't too smooth/slick.

For me, I have it because there are times when no other CC option will work and my only other option is nothing at all. Its not my first choice because it is slower then other options (and does require additional training/practice) but it works great for times when its my only option.

Quoted:
Galco Ankle Glove. Concealment is less than ideal if you don't have tall-ish boots(think corcoran paratrooper boots height) to keep them from sliding into view. If you have your pants a bit longer (or just don't care) it likely works fine. Ankle holsters are meant to be worn right above the ankle, and it does not slip below that... but if I cross my legs or put one leg on the knee, my ankle shows, the holster sometimes shows as well. Now, carrying it with tall boots does make access slower, but I'm sacrificing access speed for maximum concealment. I'm trading no access to a gun for slow access to a gun. With the tall boots I can do everything but stand on my head and there's never a sign of anything.
I do the long pants thing (which is what I wear anyway regardless). I would not like the tall boots approach at all. Ankle carry is already slow and I wouldn't want to slow it down even more by having to pull my pant leg practically up to my knee just to draw the pistol. Sure you have to be conscious when crossing your legs or whatever but its not that big of a deal IMO
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 4:35:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I do the long pants thing (which is what I wear anyway regardless). I would not like the tall boots approach at all. Ankle carry is already slow and I wouldn't want to slow it down even more by having to pull my pant leg practically up to my knee just to draw the pistol. Sure you have to be conscious when crossing your legs or whatever but its not that big of a deal IMO
View Quote

Yeah it's slow and awkward. For me, ankle carry is only a NPE method that's more comfortable than a belly band. I've since gone to pocket carry instead.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 8:12:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yeah it's slow and awkward. For me, ankle carry is only a NPE method that's more comfortable than a belly band. I've since gone to pocket carry instead.
View Quote

Assuming NPE means "no place else" then I agree, I only ankle carry for those times. I IWB or pocket carry the majority of the time because of the speed. Otherwise I like ankle carry because its comfortable for all day use and no real printing issues.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 8:43:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Assuming NPE means "no place else" then I agree, I only ankle carry for those times. I IWB or pocket carry the majority of the time because of the speed. Otherwise I like ankle carry because its comfortable for all day use and no real printing issues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Non-permissive environment- same idea though.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 3:36:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Non-permissive environment- same idea though.
View Quote
Ah, even better as that's exactly the reason I have one. Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top