Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2018 6:11:12 PM EDT
I stripped down a SA Mil-Spec model to the frame and having a tough time reassembling it.
After inserting and pinning the sear/disconnector, I insert the hammer and pin, mainspring housing and grip safety.

I cannot get the hammer to function properly.

After inserting the thumb safety, the hammer only functions on full cock. other than that, it just kind of flops down.

All parts are stock...  
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 6:33:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like the sear spring is not laying on the disco right.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 6:36:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm sorry, "disco right?"?
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 7:41:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He is saying the sear spring is not correctly interfacing with the disconnector.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 7:43:55 PM EDT
[#4]
All the above.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 7:50:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Hammer spring incorrectly installed.
Easy to do.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 8:05:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Is the ILS locked holding the main spring partially collapsed. Being a springer willing to bet this is the issue
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 8:12:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks all for the responses.

New territory for me so bear with me...I'll try to determine if the spring is in the correct position.
It's a bit frustrating...
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 8:29:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hammer spring incorrectly installed.
Easy to do.
View Quote
Mainspring?
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 9:42:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I reread it.  If the sear spring gets in there wrong it will go to full cock and be stuck there.

I'm thinking something's fucky with the ILS too.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 9:45:52 PM EDT
[#10]
The legs of the sear spring need to be sitting on top of the disconnector, not under it.    Also, make sure you have the sear and disconnector oriented correctly in the frame.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 9:46:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Alright...

The ILS us in the vertical position but, I've heard of them failing.

Crap. I guess that I'll have to pay a visit to the local smith.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 9:48:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The legs of the sear spring need to be sitting on top of the disconnector, not under it.    Also, make sure you have the sear and disconnector oriented correctly in the frame.
View Quote
She looks fine to me but I'll post pics tomorrow.  The hammer to sear engagement seems out of whack
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 10:01:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

She looks fine to me but I'll post pics tomorrow.  The hammer to sear engagement seems out of whack
View Quote
Do you have the sear in correctly?  It should look like what’s in the link below.  Legs of the sear facing down, sear spring on top of legs and disconnector.

https://www.m1911.org/technic19.htm
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 4:11:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Do you have the sear in correctly?  It should look like what’s in the link below.  Legs of the sear facing down, sear spring on top of legs and disconnector.

https://www.m1911.org/technic19.htm
View Quote
The gun in that pic has a 4 finger sear spring, the OPs most likely has a 3 finger. I just mention it in case it confuses him.
Op, before you take it to a Smith try disassembling it again and take your time putting it back together.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 4:28:04 AM EDT
[#15]
see if there is a Youtube vid that might help.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 6:52:59 AM EDT
[#16]
It has happened to me before. Take it apart again, take your time, use a video as you go. It’s good practice as well.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 9:27:21 AM EDT
[#17]
There may be a couple things going on.

First, make sure the disconnector is sitting behind the trigger bow.   Then, make sure the sear feet are behind the disconnector "paddle", not in front of it.

Then place the sear spring.  Diagram below.  I like to slide the mainspring housing up about halfway to keep it in place while allowing installation of the hammer.

Push the hammer into place and then install its pin.  Swing the strut down on top of the mainspring cap and then push MSH up further but not all the way. You can install the grip safety at this time.  Hammer should be fully forward; you may have to pull the trigger to allow hammer to go forward.  Then push the MSH fully up and insert pin.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 10:11:50 AM EDT
[#18]
I seem to be doing everything correctly so I'm pretty sure that something is wonky with the SA locking mainspring housing.

A standard MSH assembly is on the way...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top