Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2020 9:56:34 PM EDT
So first off I don't have any pictures. Sorry to be "that guy".

Last night I stopped at Cabela's to buy a pistol rack for the safe and while in there I checked out the used guns in the gun library. There were 2 full sized Springfield 1911's in the case. The first one was a plain Jane A-1, parkerized, low profile sights, standard grip safety, fine vertical serrations at the rear of the slide and plain black plastic checkered grips. The tag simply said. Springfield Armory 1911-A1 $429.99. The gun was in beautiful shape and I thought that was a hell of a price.

Next to it was another Springfield 1911, also parkerized, but this one had crossed cannon wood groups, Novak style sights, extended beaver tail, full length guide rod, extended ambidextrous safety levers, silver trigger and wide, angled slide serrations both front and rear. The tag on the second gun was identical to the first.  Springfield Armory 1911-A1 $429.99.

I'm not a Springfield Armory expert or a 1911 expert but I'm also not retarded. No major brand name 1911 with those features is typically available for less than twice that price. I flagged down an employee and had him take it out of the case. The gun was in very nice shape. I'd estimate 90-95%. The frame was marked Imbel Brazil with an N prefix to the serial number. If I remember the little bit about Springfield 1911's that I've read that means that it's a forged frame. I think.  I didn't go in to buy a gun but for that price I was not going to let him put it back in the display case. When I started the paperwork I asked if I could see the case that came with it. It was a large plastic case that was light blue in color. It had the manual and 2 no name 7 round mags. The employee commented on the color of the case, stating that Springfield cases are usually black or grey.

Due to the fact that my state has descended into full blown liberal lunacy, the perfectly innocent gun has to sit in jail for about a week before I can spring it. That's why I have no pictures to offer. I did scan the pictures tread and found one that looks near identical to it.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

But again, the case with mine is light blue.
So based on that info would anybody have an idea on what model and roughly how old it is? I'm guessing it's a Range Officer but I'm not sure and I have no idea how old it might be.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 10:12:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Believe the pic is of a “loaded 1911-a1” model.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 10:13:05 PM EDT
[#2]
It looks like a Range Officer or Loaded model. The case looks more recent. That makes me think Range Officer.

I really like Springfield 1911.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 10:15:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Loaded model.  The Range Officers have that stupid large RO on the rear of the slide
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 10:47:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been out of the loop a long time but that sure looks like a loaded. Regardless of what it is if it is a new model with those features at that price it's a solid good deal.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 11:06:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I’m gonna have to look at pawn shop A1’s better. OP, thank you for bringing this to my attention even though it wasn’t your intention.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 11:14:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Loaded model.  The Range Officers have that stupid large RO on the rear of the slide
View Quote
I definitely don't remember seeing an RO anywhere on the slide.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 11:43:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Springfield Loaded is what you have purchased.  I own a couple of the short versions and have wanted a full-size for some time.

If you look at the mainspring housing you will see a little round hole with 2 dots inside it, that's the MSH lock that they included.  If your blue case doesn't have the key inside you should still be able to get one from SA, or change out the MSH and get rid of it.

Great guns, the barrels on mine are ramped with captive recoil springs.  Yours might be standard as it's a full-size.  The only issue I've had with mine is when doing an over the top reload I've managed to successfully slice my hands on the sharp edges of the extended safeties.

Not mine, but here's a video.  
Springfield Armory 1911-A1 Loaded-Parkerized Unboxing + Shooting Video
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 12:31:03 AM EDT
[#8]
The range officer would have an adjustable rear sight...  Only the range officer "operator" uses the novak style rear sight... But then it would have a rail...

Also, the ROs would not have ambi-safey from the factory.

I agree with everyone else, it's a "loaded" A1...
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 11:20:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The range officer would have an adjustable rear sight...  Only the range officer "operator" uses the novak style rear sight... But then it would have a rail...

Also, the ROs would not have ambi-safey from the factory.

I agree with everyone else, it's a "loaded" A1...
View Quote
Definitely not an adjustable rear sight and no rail.

So a loaded it is.

Thanks Guys!
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 11:46:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Springfield Loaded is what you have purchased.  I own a couple of the short versions and have wanted a full-size for some time.

If you look at the mainspring housing you will see a little round hole with 2 dots inside it, that's the MSH lock that they included.  If your blue case doesn't have the key inside you should still be able to get one from SA, or change out the MSH and get rid of it.

Great guns, the barrels on mine are ramped with captive recoil springs.  Yours might be standard as it's a full-size.  The only issue I've had with mine is when doing an over the top reload I've managed to successfully slice my hands on the sharp edges of the extended safeties.

Not mine, but here's a video.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xks1p7n6gac
View Quote
Thanks for the video.

Yup, that looks exactly like what I bought. The case didn't have a key in it and i didn't notice the hole in the MSH but I very well may have missed it. I wasn't looking for it. If it has it I will definitely swap it out. No Hillary locks for me!
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 11:57:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm gonna have to look at pawn shop A1's better. OP, thank you for bringing this to my attention even though it wasn't your intention.
View Quote
You're welcome.

I can only imagine that since all it says for a model on the slide or frame is MODEL 1911-A1 that they booked it the same as the base model it was sitting next to.

Except the base model seemed ridiculously underpriced as well. Or am I wrong on Springfield prices. $430 for a base model? Let alone a Loaded.

Edited to add: Last year I spent a week in Denver and it seemed to have more pawn shops per mile than anywhere I've ever been.
Happy hunting.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 12:01:23 PM EDT
[#12]
That's a Loaded.  They were heavily discounted when the Defender series came out.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 12:05:18 PM EDT
[#13]
The case should have a model number.  You an google it.  I agree, looks like the Loaded pistol.  Good deal and good luck with the pistol.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 12:34:35 AM EDT
[#14]
It's a 9109LP

Linky Here
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 11:05:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Loaded parkerized model. Solid gun.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 12:02:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It's a 9109LP

Linky Here
View Quote
Sure looks just like that one.

Though not sure what's the difference between that one and this one.
From the same place.

The price is a little lower than what i thought it'd be but still $430 for a used one in great shape feels like a score. With the wait for the background check I don't pay for the gun until I clear. I have some money left on a gift card and 15 bucks or so in Cabela's points so even after taxes I should be out there door for under $400 out of my pocket.

I hate the freaking delay. I want to take that thing out and shoot it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 11:25:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Oh, and the N prefix means it was forged and 100% assembled in Brazil.

The frames the the NM prefix are forged in Brazil, and fit/finished here.

They are good pistols. Ditch the POS 2ps guide rod and go to a GI guide rod and recoil spring cap. The 2pc will loosen and potentially jettison the front half downrange.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 3:20:08 PM EDT
[#18]
If it's an N prefix as you pointed out it means it's an Imbel product (as opposed to the NMs which are an Imbel forging that was finished in Illinois). Those are less sought after than the later NM, however there's also some solid perks to having one of the older Brazilian guns, most (all?) pre-date Springfield's switch to MIM components and it's also quite likely that it also does not have the ILS locking mainspring which came later in production. However, it is likely to have a two piece barrel, which gets the purists' panties in a wad but I don't see any appreciable difference in accuracy between my N and NM Loadeds, and Browning Hi-Powers have used two piece barrels for years with no apparent ill effects. If it bothers you, anecdotal evidence suggests that if you send the gun in for any sort of work at Springfield (perhaps to get the night sights relamped/replaced) they might replace the two piece barrel with the standard modern stainless one piece free of charge... You can call Springfield with the serial number and they will tell you over the phone when the pistol was made. Good score, I thought I got a deal on mine at $525...
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 1:52:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Good price! Congrats
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 7:36:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Great price!
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 8:35:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Welcome to the club !
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 9:02:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Loaded parkerized model. Solid gun.
View Quote
Yep.  The blue cases where used in the early 2000s can't remember when they switched to black.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 9:14:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yep.  The blue cases where used in the early 2000s can't remember when they switched to black.
View Quote
Any decent upgrades you all recommend on this firearm?
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 9:23:08 PM EDT
[#24]
You stole that thing.

NM-prefixed Imbel frames were forged in Brazil but finished by SAI in the US.

Non-NM Imbel frames were forged and finished in Brazil.

Imbel knows their business; nothing at all wring with those frames.

Here's my GI model bought new for $430 back in 2007-ish.

DSCN1521 by FredMan, on Flickr

DSCN1519 by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 9:36:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it's a loaded, and we all think it is, just buy some mags that work.  
It has good sights, a beavertail and nice.thumb safety.

I prefer Heinie sights over Novaks and Ed Brown Thumb safeties but nothing wrong with the ones on the gun.

Maybe add a Smith and Alexander Maxwell?
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 4:52:41 AM EDT
[#26]
PX9109LP
Look familiar?

Yours looks to be a US assembled gun also.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 10:16:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

However, it is likely to have a two piece barrel, which gets the purists' panties in a wad but I don't see any appreciable difference in accuracy between my N and NM Loadeds, and Browning Hi-Powers have used two piece barrels for years with no apparent ill effects.
View Quote

Came to post about the two-piece bbl.

Actually there IS a noticeable difference between the one- & two-piece barrels. High Powers are a cut above in price and quality, which is how/why they get away with it, IMO.

I had mine replaced with a Wilson NM bbl & my mil-spec now shoots like a semi-custom 1911, IMO. As we all know, the bbl is the guts of a good 1911. A two-piece bbl is like having a 4cyl engine in a Vette, IMO.

My .o2
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 6:22:09 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm gonna piggy back on this thread, guys.

Bought a SA M1911A1 today and it is not showing up in the SA catalog. It is a PB9608, and unlike the standard GI line, this gun has an extended
beavertail w/bump and a skeletonized hammer. Trigger pull is NIIIIICE, too..

The box is the old style big ass blue plastic.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 9:53:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm gonna piggy back on this thread, guys.

Bought a SA M1911A1 today and it is not showing up in the SA catalog. It is a PB9608, and unlike the standard GI line, this gun has an extended
beavertail w/bump and a skeletonized hammer. Trigger pull is NIIIIICE, too..

The box is the old style big ass blue plastic.
View Quote

@Papaw
It's a blued model?  The beavertail and skeletonized hammer would have been added at a later date.  Early to mid 90's.   Nice blue job. Yes?

Blued pistols age so nicely when they are used and cared for.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 10:04:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

@Papaw
It's a blued model?  The beavertail and skeletonized hammer would have been added at a later date.  Early to mid 90's.   Nice blue job. Yes?

Blued pistols age so nicely when they are used and cared for.
View Quote

Alas, no. My pistol has a "parkerized" color, but the finish itself is very smooth. Crap.

Another thing. The gun has what appears to be a GI trigger, but it is drilled and tapped with a set screw on the face. Trigger pull is, no shit, 3.0 to 3.5 lbs, tops.

I'm starting to think it is a modified SA GI pistol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top