Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2021 9:33:37 AM EDT
This was with a bunch of stuff brought in to be sold at my LGS the other day. Any idea why it has no primer?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/14/2021 10:52:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Can't help you but that brass looks like it's been kicking around in various junk drawers for quite some time.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 11:17:51 AM EDT
[#2]
A dummy round?
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 12:22:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like a purpose-built dummy for either a reproduction "Non-gun" or maybe for cowboy action shooter's gun belts.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:08:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I have some in different calibers, from over 30 years ago. Was told they were for gunsmiths to use for checking actions.

Edit: since it is marked ‘W-W’, it is after 1931. And the font on the case looks closer to 1960s vintage.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 9:08:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I asked some cartridge collectors I know who are familiar with this caliber. The case is a typical Winchester dummy case but they are usually chemically blackened, so this one is odd. There are known variations like the one in the OP, but with a typical .45 Colt projectile. The origin of these remains unknown. Might be a Winchester product, might be made elsewhere using unfinished Winchester cases.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 3:09:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 3:37:25 PM EDT
[#7]
No chance the OP's round is an inside-primed cartridge.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 9:28:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Actually, that could still be a live round.  

I forget where I saw it, but there was a website with a sectioned cartridge, using the Benet inside primer.  These were not reloadable, with the priming mechanism built into the inside of the base of the cartridge case.  Otherwise they were externally the same as what we consider a conventionally primed case.

Some photos and info here.

ETA:
Here's a photo I found on this page.

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/b7ddaf_80637712c72c4d5eb3a0b334bab97fa9~mv2.jpg/v1/fill/w_410,h_381,al_c,q_80,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01/benet_JPG.webp
View Quote

Quoted:
No chance the OP's round is an inside-primed cartridge.
View Quote

Yeah I have two examples of fired Benet cases.
A 45colt ish and 45/70 type supposedly found around Ft Fedderman area.
Those both exhibit the crimp like Garrets photos.
ops mystery case aint those.

Link Posted: 5/19/2021 9:48:51 AM EDT
[#9]
It's not a mystery case. It's a Winchester dummy case.

This cartridge does not follow the known Winchester pattern of a blackened case finish and typical .45 Colt projectile.

The question is who made this dummy round.

A better pic of the projectile might help.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 10:27:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Since that round is so obviously worn, could the blackening have worn away revealing the brass?
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 12:58:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Since that round is so obviously worn, could the blackening have worn away revealing the brass?
View Quote

The collectors I have shown these pics to don't think so. One guy has the exact same un-blackened brass case with a normal .45 Colt projectile and says there was no trace of it ever having been blackened. The blackening is a chemical process that does not come off easily.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top