Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2020 7:14:03 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 7:52:30 AM EDT
[#1]
When it "happens" you'll be wondering why it took you so long to adopt a RDS.

Keep at it. Good luck
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 10:29:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 10:34:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When it "happens" you'll be wondering why it took you so long to adopt a RDS.

Keep at it. Good luck
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 10:35:12 AM EDT
[#4]
This x1000000

You have to keep in mind that the dot doesn’t have to be perfect. It just had to be over your target.

The biggest learning switch for me was NOT looking at the dot. You train for years to look at your front sight. Now you’re NOT supposed to look at what’s in front of you, but stay target focused.

By the way, your iron sights move, too. But your field of vision is limited due to the slide of the gun, and the dot does amplify the normal movement a bit due to the design.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 10:35:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I need to RMR a Glock.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 10:55:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I suck. What a learning curve. I’ve shot my RMR about 4 times now including this class . I did decent on a few drills but fuck me. The dancing dot is a hurdle. I can definitely see the benefit of the dot though. It was a good time but I’m plagued by the low left shots. I was good with irons but the dot moving around so much made me hesitant to break the trigger. Guess I better keep training.
View Quote
Hate to tell you this, but that low left shit has noting to do with the dot.

Work on your presentation....that how you sort the dot out in a hurry
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 12:46:06 PM EDT
[#7]
The dot is humbling when we first start using it. Work on presentation and dry fire, the learning curve tends to accelerate quickly.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 2:43:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 3:23:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I suck. What a learning curve. I’ve shot my RMR about 4 times now including this class . I did decent on a few drills but fuck me. The dancing dot is a hurdle. I can definitely see the benefit of the dot though. It was a good time but I’m plagued by the low left shots. I was good with irons but the dot moving around so much made me hesitant to break the trigger. Guess I better keep training.
View Quote
Keep at it.  take notes in during breaks.  Learning the dot takes a little work, but you're doing the right thing.

Also - the low left has nothing to do with an optic.  That's 100% on you.  Not my words, but irons merely whisper what you might be doing wrong where a red dot screams at you where your trigger pull deficiencies are, and that will manifest downrange.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 4:11:14 PM EDT
[#10]
The Secret to Mastering the Handgun (complete video)

Regardless of your experience, this is a good review.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 5:13:40 PM EDT
[#11]
And when you do get it down you get better at irons.

Then you end up shooting mini ipsc targets at 50yds at night under nods.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 5:21:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Low left hits are stemming from you relaxing your wrists as you break the shot. When this occurs along with the first times you are shooting a dot, the relaxing of the wrists happens when you are thinking "I need to make the gun go off NOW" instead of simply applying smooth even pressure on the trigger until the shot breaks.   A lot of people think the dot makes the gun moves but in reality its simply showing you how much the gun is always moving and it messes with people's minds.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 5:36:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I am behind the times. I need to get my glock milled but I was able to spend a moderate amount of time shooting one that had a red dot. Over the course of a couple days my shooting got better. Biggest surprise to me was when I want back to shooting my iron sight g17 I was also a better shot there.  Learning to control trigger press while watching the dot carried over directly to iron sights and made me a better shooter. Cant wait to do a deep dive.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 7:07:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 7:09:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 7:14:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

One of my friends who is very proficient with dots told me it was my grip.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

One of my friends who is very proficient with dots told me it was my grip.
Its your wrists not being locked

I have small hands so he told me I would benefit from a grip reduction to my frame
You'll have the same issue regardless of grip size until you remember to keep your wrists locked during the shot process

I should add that the instructor told me to put the dot on bullseye and put my finger on the trigger. He pressed my finger and it was dead on.
Sounds right.  Having the instructor press the shot allows the shooter to remain focuses on limiting dot movement, maintain a firm grip, keep the wrists locked, etc.   When the shooter is responsible for everything, talking about new shooters to the dot, they have an instinct to want to make the gun go off as soon as they see the dot the target (aka making the gun go off right NOW).  When they do this, all the focus shifts to hitting the trigger as hard as they can and forgetting everything else. This leads to the wrists unlocking which in turn leads to low left hits for right hand shooters.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 7:17:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 1:37:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Might you find time to tell us a bit about the class itself, please?

Who's class?  One day?  Two day?  Round count?  Instructor-to-student ratio?  How many students?  Topics covered?  Cost of class?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 12:03:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Might you find time to tell us a bit about the class itself, please?

Who's class?  One day?  Two day?  Round count?  Instructor-to-student ratio?  How many students?  Topics covered?  Cost of class?

Thanks!
View Quote
interested in this info as well
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 1:43:00 PM EDT
[#20]
The dancing dot goes away with time.  You also need to shoot while the dot is dancing so you know what your room for error is vs a super stable refined dot.

Good news is, now that you can see it moving, you can correct it; takes time, but it will work itself out and you'll be much steadier.

My presentation went from being more angular to "up and out".

Things I've found helpful:

-When you grip the pistol in the holster, keep your wrist position firm/locked.
-When you grip the pistol, don't grip it like a baseball bat- engage your middle, ring and pinky finger to drive the front strap of the pistol to the back of your palm- it is harder to move the pistol off axis L/R if you do this- it also mimics how you press a trigger....if you have three fingers doing one thing, your trigger finger will want to do the same- you may or may not notice that you stop pulling your shots to the left too....
-During the presentation, visualize bringing the backplate to your nose- obviously don't touch the two, but just like the finger to nose test....the nose is a good reference point that everyone has unless you like Saigon whores.
-When your reaction hand meets the pistol, keep it flat until they touch, then wrap it- if you hit the tips of your fingers on your shooting hand, it has a tendency to move the pistol off axis.  When the hands marry, grip it as you would at full presentation- this stops you from increasing pressure as you present, which again....can really throw off your presentation.

Have someone video tape your presentation in slo-mo.  Anyone with an iPhone can help you with this; pay attention to everything.  If you're missing the dot high or low, you'll clearly the muzzle raised or lowered; its much easier to fix it once you know what is taking place.

It takes a while, but it helps to have some guidance- once you get used to it....nirvana is achieved.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 8:32:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 8:35:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 9:02:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Thanks for that. I THINK I understand what you mean about the grip, but I’m not 100% sure. You have a link to a video of someone demonstrating this?
View Quote
I do not.  Envision driving your shooting hand thumb forward toward your target.

It will cause you to focus your grip front to rear, which is the goal.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 10:26:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 12:28:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I think I understand. Instead of baseball gripping with the entire hand, focus on pulling the bottom 3 fingers straight back.
View Quote
Precisely.  Helped me quite a bit.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 1:22:07 PM EDT
[#26]
The best tip I have for shooting dots or irons, is the same as with any sport - follow through.

Keep looking at the target, or area of target you are aiming at, throughout the trigger pull and
even a second or two after the shot.

This forces one to perfect all other aspects of shooting.
Stance, grip, trigger pull and of course, keeping your eyes open.

Ever watch a new shooter close their eyes when pulling the trigger?
I'm not talking about blinking.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 2:57:22 PM EDT
[#27]
I forgot now what YouTube person said it about a red dot on a pistol but they called it 100% right. A RDS calls out every flaw. If your presentation sucks your going to know about it. If your trigger control sucks your going to know about it, if your stance sucks your going to know about it. Dry firing was the key for me. Your brain kind of figures this all out for you and after enough practice you will wonder why the hell you waited so long to mount an RDS to your pistol.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 5:47:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 12:09:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Well after a LOT of dry fire practice I think this works for me. My dot is dead center upon draw 95% of the time. I’ve been practicing standing, sitting, etc. Much better so far. I’m gonna try to get some live fire next weekend.
View Quote
Glad to hear it!!
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 1:23:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top