Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/7/2020 12:25:47 PM EDT
So my lovely and talented daughter got engaged to a great guy this weekend.

They are avid outdoors folks who frequent the mountains of Idaho and Eastern Washington.  They are both gunny types and are robust physically.

I want to gift them matched revolvers for their wedding gift to carry on their treks.

I'm interested in ideas of which revolvers to choose.

• My budget is something around $5k to acquire two revolvers.

• 44 Magnum for adequate power with reasonable ammo availability.

• Would be nice to have consecutive serial numbers or custom SN.

• These are packing pieces so they need to be durable, not heavy and reasonably compact.

I've got some ideas, but I won't pollute your ideas just yet.

What would you buy?

So my thoughts were a pair of 4" S&W 329s with Mag-na-port porting and action job.  Fit with the Houge rubber grips.  Simply Rugged holsters and some cash for good belts.
Not my picture.  I found this on the web...
Attachment Attached File

I'm also considering a pair of S&W 69 four inchers with the same treatments.

The attraction of the 329 is of course that it is really light.  For hiking and camping, that light weight really makes a difference.  Truly a carry a lot and hardly ever shoot deal.

I have a 329 four inch and a 69 with the 2-3/4 barrel.  I don't like how the 2-3/4 carries in the Simply Rugged.  It kind of wants to flop over vs the four inch 329 which rides real nice in a cross draw carry.

I think I'll take both out for a range day and see if I think the 329 is just going to be too brutal for my daughter.  I think her hands might be too small for the larger Houge X-frame grips.

There are some really nice single actions suggested, but I think it's best to stay double action for a aggressive critter defense piece.

BTW, I had some email conversations with Marc at Gemini Custom.  Wow he has some nice stuff.  His Ruger Alaskans are .

Edit:
You know, I've been wondering if I want to do this more for me than for them.  Maybe it would be a better gift to let them pick a gun or two from my collection and then throw a check into their home buying fund...
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 1:15:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I would suggest double action revolvers in 45 Colt.

You can get Cor-Bon, Buffalo Bore or Double Tap ammo loaded near 44 Magnum ammo velocity and energy, but also cowboy level ammo.

S&W Model 25.

Alternatively, a Ruger Super Redhawk or S&W 460V in 454 Casull would allow full strength Casull ammo and all of the 45 Colt ammo options.

Link Posted: 10/7/2020 1:57:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Smith and Wesson model 29 Classic in .44 mag, if they need less recoil to practice they can use .44 special.

It’s also Dirty Harry’s gun
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 2:07:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Some iteration of Smith 29 or the Ruger Redhawk.  Have owned or still own both.

Consecutive serial numbers can be surprisingly difficult to pull off.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 3:42:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Either Ruger or Smith 44 mag in stainless. No blue for the great outdoors.
Both would be heavy unless you get 2 of the lightweight Smiths but the recoil is miserable from those so I would opt for keeping the weight. Maybe matching 2" 629 or buy 4" and have them cut down to 3"?
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 4:49:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Smith model 69 in the 2 3/4” barrel length. A good packing magnum .
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 5:05:25 PM EDT
[#7]
If it were me and I had the budget I would buy a set of S&W 629 V-Comp revolvers.  They have 4" barrels without the compensator attached but the compensator does help with recoil.

These are Performance Center models so the action/triggers are fantastic.  The triggers are amazing in both single and double action.  I own one myself and it's, by far, my favorite revolver.  They are very accurate and because of being a PC model they are a little more "special" than a standard model.  

I don't find it too heavy or unwieldy.  In fact if I were in their area, it's what I would carry.  Mine was my first, so far only, .44 magnum revolver and I was really surprised how easy it was to control vs what I remembered from shooting other revolvers in that caliber.

They also look spectacular in my opinion.  I received mine as a gift and I was blown away opening the box (pun intended).

The RMR makes it look a little bulky but with irons it's big but not difficult to carry.  Definitely easier to carry than a Redhawk.

The small, compact guns are easier to carry but you pay a considerable price in shootability.  Recoil is substantial and makes them more difficult to control which isn't a good thing when charged by a bear.  I'll trade smaller and lighter for more controllable and accurate in rapid fire any day when it's my life on the line.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 5:19:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Whatever guns you pick, I'd also supply a good quality holster/belt that they are willing to carry, plus some speedloaders/holders, a belt slide ammo carrier, a couple of speed strips. Chest rig, shoulder rig,  whatever depending on their outdoor wear and activities.
And I'd also supply some practice ammo & real world ammo. You probably already figured all that out.
My choice would depend on what they like, have shot & carried.
I'd probably lean hard toward a set of short Ruger single actions maybe with some nice custom stocks.
Or a pair of S&W scandium .44's, those are rediculously easy to carry but recoil is significantly "faster" than a steel gun.
Full lug holsters are harder to find for the 329 series, but they are out there in both plastic and leather.

Your budget is plenty for a couple solid revo's plus very nice accessory items.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 5:24:54 PM EDT
[#9]
OP wins best father-in-law!
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 6:12:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP wins best father-in-law!
View Quote

Thanks. LOL.

Lot's of good input folks.  I'm still going to hold off on my ideas for a while longer.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 8:37:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I will third the motion on the S&W 629 V-comp.
Full power .44 recoils like 44 special.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 8:54:27 PM EDT
[#12]
S&W is my favorite hands down. Of course the older ones without the stupid hole lock is preferred. I think 44 mag might be a bit too much for the wife. Women tend to prefer 38 Special. Women seem to like the K frame trigger better than the J frame. The Model 10 is a solid classic choice and not too expensive either. The 686 Plus is a nice choice as well, and you get an extra round and it can shoot 357 mag as well as 38 Special. I would go with a 3 or 4 inch barrel. Round butt for conceal carry, square butt for general use. Women do seem to enjoy shinny stainless or nickel finish more.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 9:06:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I would go with a couple Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskans in 45lc/454 Casull. Very versatile and rugged. Could also opt to send them to TK Custom and have the cylinders cut for moonclips so they can shoot 45acp also. Seems Ruger is easier to get consecutive serial numbers than others also. Buy some extra ammo and a Gunfighters Inc Kenai Chest holster for each one of them.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 11:42:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
S&W is my favorite hands down. Of course the older ones without the stupid hole lock is preferred. I think 44 mag might be a bit too much for the wife. Women tend to prefer 38 Special. Women seem to like the K frame trigger better than the J frame. The Model 10 is a solid classic choice and not too expensive either. The 686 Plus is a nice choice as well, and you get an extra round and it can shoot 357 mag as well as 38 Special. I would go with a 3 or 4 inch barrel. Round butt for conceal carry, square butt for general use. Women do seem to enjoy shinny stainless or nickel finish more.
View Quote

Women who are new to guns generally prefer .38 special because its light recoil just like most new male shooters or youngsters.  Most women are more than capable of handling powerful handguns once they gain experience like everyone else.  Lot's of women shoot .357 mag,  .45 Colt heavy, .44 magnum and larger.  I don't own any hanguns larger than .44 magnum (other than my Ruger Blackhawk Bisley .45 Colt) but I know of other women who do.  You need to give women a little more credit.  My sister and I both love shooting my .44 magnum.  After shooting mine, my sister immediately started researching the .44 magnum revolver she wants to buy (she wants a S&W 629 Competition).

The OP indicated his daughter and her soon to be husband were experienced shooters and outdoors folks living in big bear country.  Thus needing and capable of handling a .44 magnum or I doubt he would have specified that caliber.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 12:47:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The OP indicated his daughter and her soon to be husband were experienced shooters and outdoors folks living in big bear country.  Thus needing and capable of handling a .44 magnum or I doubt he would have specified that caliber.
View Quote

Right.  My "Little Girl" has been shooting since age five or so.  I was seriously concerned that she was going to commandeer my XD 45 when she tried it out and we built her an AR a few years back.  Expectant SIL packs a 7-1/2 Dan Wesson 44 mag when they are boondocking.  (OMGosh that is one ugly, corroded POS.  But I tuned it up and it works great.)

This is her like fifteen years ago when she was making props for her 4H presentation on Annie Oakley.

(Oh my, what a wonderful kid....)
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 12:59:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Buy 2 mountain guns and threepersons holsters from elpasso saddlery and find some ahrend retro target grips.

Congrats to btw
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 1:04:49 AM EDT
[#17]
I carry my 329pd in the woods a lot and appreciate the considerable weight savings over the steel frames.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 1:16:25 AM EDT
[#18]
S&W 629 (or 625) Mountain Guns.  Herrett's Roper stocks. El Paso Saddlery #77 Tortilla holsters.  Done.  Or 4 1/4" Freedom Arms 97s if .44 Magnum isn't an absolute.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 10:49:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Smith 69 4"

Tony

Link Posted: 10/8/2020 11:37:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Women who are new to guns generally prefer .38 special because its light recoil just like most new male shooters or youngsters.  Most women are more than capable of handling powerful handguns once they gain experience like everyone else.  Lot's of women shoot .357 mag,  .45 Colt heavy, .44 magnum and larger.  I don't own any hanguns larger than .44 magnum (other than my Ruger Blackhawk Bisley .45 Colt) but I know of other women who do.  You need to give women a little more credit.  My sister and I both love shooting my .44 magnum.  After shooting mine, my sister immediately started researching the .44 magnum revolver she wants to buy (she wants a S&W 629 Competition).

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There ya go. Saying "women seem to like" is painting with an entirely too broad of a brush. It's a big ol' world out there and lot's of women happily shoot serious firearms.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 11:51:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Some iteration of Smith 29 or the Ruger Redhawk.  Have owned or still own both.

Consecutive serial numbers can be surprisingly difficult to pull off.
View Quote

I think a 5.5" Ruger Redhawk would be pretty sweet.
With matching leather?
ETA: I shoukd clarify that the Redhawks are in 44mag. If you want 357, I would look for matching 686 no-dash. Kinda hard to find in consecutive number though, if it's really that important.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 11:54:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Check out Dave at Diamond D Holsters. Get em a couple of tanker rigs.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 12:18:03 PM EDT
[#23]
first props, that's a cool ass thing to do.

but does it have to be 44 and does it have to be a revolver?
I have priced out some 10mm 1911s semi custom (pick the serial, etc) and they were less than 2k each. If they like autos that might be a good option.

You may also consider a set of something that compliments. Like a nice revolver for one of them to carry and a matching lever action for camp/cabins/etc. Like you could get a 357 that carries well and then a henry 45/70 (they do custom serials inexpensively) that compliments it rather than matches it.

That's how I'm doing it for my 2 sons. One gets a 1911 I carried, the other is getting a lever gun we take on adventures together. Should be along the same lines but maybe more "useful"
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 6:19:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Just throwing this out as you seem to have an idea of what they would prefer, I find the easiest carry is shoulder or chest rig by way of noticeable weight and are easy to deploy quickly esp with a shorter 4-5" barrel.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 12:09:37 AM EDT
[#25]
I bought a consecutive pair of Colts 1911s a few years back as birthday gifts to my Father and FIL.  I worked with a high volume local dealer who worked with their distributor to get the pair. They were able to check stock regularly and deliver fairly quick but in today’s environment it might take a while to work out.  You might have best results from Performance Center items as they can be special ordered.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 1:20:33 AM EDT
[#26]
+1 for the Diamond D chest rig, whatever you go with.

I don’t know if Smith is currently making Mountain Guns, but that would be a good option.  Another good choice would be the model 69.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 12:22:02 PM EDT
[#27]
How about 4 guns instead?

2 matching revolvers, Vaqueros or Blackhawks in whatever caliber as their fancy guns, and then 2 Glock 20's to carry around.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 3:40:48 PM EDT
[#28]
I’d vote matching Glock 20’s with Trijicon sites and grip reduction by talented top smith. A lightweight and proven package.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 5:59:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
+1 for the Diamond D chest rig, whatever you go with.

I don’t know if Smith is currently making Mountain Guns, but that would be a good option.  Another good choice would be the model 69.  
View Quote

Im not sure but they go for 1000 to 1200 on gunbroker. Im she he could find 2
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 6:53:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Ruger already makes a match pair Vaquero SASS in .357 or .45 Colt for consideration.

https://ruger.com/products/vaqueroSASS/models.html?r=y

CD
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 7:55:58 AM EDT
[#31]
My MIL bought me a pair of Ruger Bisley Vaqueros as a wedding gift.

I wore them at my wedding.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 9:11:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
My MIL bought me a pair of Ruger Bisley Vaqueros as a wedding gift.

I wore them at my wedding.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/312001/C00C79CE-5FF6-41BB-9F2B-CE796AF68DDD_jpe-1628757.JPG
View Quote

You look awfully young to be taking on the responsibility of marriage.
Get out there and enjoy life a little first, sonny.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 9:52:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Check out Korth Revolvers.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 1:38:40 PM EDT
[#34]
I updated the OP with some of my ideas...
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 2:41:37 PM EDT
[#35]
With that budget you could get two custom BFR's.  Probably have to wait a few months though and maybe too heavy.  Pretty sure they offer them in a six shot option now too.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 3:24:54 PM EDT
[#36]
That's a nice revolver Rope-a-Dope.  I've always preferred stainless guns for outdoor use but blued works fine as long as you stay on top of "moisturize management".  It sure looks great.

I'm curious to hear how it performs, I've always shied away from the 329's because of the heavy recoil.  I figured it would be brutal with heavier "bear loads".  If it's not that bad that gun is a great choice.  Now I'm really curious.

If the Hogue "X frame" grips are too big for your daughter the standard Hogue rubber grips are good alternative.  Not quite as much recoil absorption but better for smaller hands. I have the standard Hogues on my V-Comp and they work well.  I've been considering buying the X frame grip, I'm pretty sure my hands are big enough to use it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 3:50:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I would suggest double action revolvers in 45 Colt.
You can get Cor-Bon, Buffalo Bore or Double Tap ammo loaded near 44 Magnum ammo velocity and energy, but also cowboy level ammo.
S&W Model 25.
Alternatively, a Ruger Super Redhawk or S&W 460V in 454 Casull would allow full strength Casull ammo and all of the 45 Colt ammo options.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

This is the Gemini Custom Ruger Alaskan .454 Casull.
Unfortunately, it's really hard to source the guns these days   Also, two of these would exceed my budget.  But man....
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 8:38:30 PM EDT
[#38]
I love my 329PD but I don't know if I'd give it as a wedding present unless they are the most utilitarian of people. It has the most brutal recoil of any smith I've ever fired and I've fired the 500, 460 snubbie, 386pd and the 340 M&P. I've also never heard from man or woman, experienced or inexperienced that I've had shoot it, "I've gotta get me one of these". Most of the time its something to the effect of, "you can keep that!". Unless your daughter and prospective son in law have already expressed interest in the model, I'd leave that one on the shelf. I love it for carry but between this and the 69, I'd go with the 69. You can dress that one up with nice wood grips and not worry about giving yourself carpal tunnel or something. The 629 Deluxe 3 in or the PC 629 with the unfluted cylinder are both elegant and capable choices as well, IMO.

But hey, none of us know them or you. I'm just saying, the 329 ain't pretty and ain't kind. I ain't getting rid of mine though and its definitely my most carried gun of 2020

Edit: here's a pic because pictures are fun. This is at the 250 round mark during the summer (shot exclusively 240gn Sig V Crown 44Mag) with 5 months of carry

" />.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 2:41:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
With that budget you could get two custom BFR's.  Probably have to wait a few months though and maybe too heavy.  Pretty sure they offer them in a six shot option now too.
View Quote

Only for .44 and .357, I believe.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 11:55:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Interesting thread, and very cool btw.

S&W Mountain guns.

I bet Dan Wesson could get you 2 matching 10mm 1911’s with consecutive SN#’s.

Is .357 an option at all?

S&W Performance center has a pretty sweet 7 shot L frame and 8 shot LW N frame.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 9:51:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

They are avid outdoors folks who frequent the mountains of Idaho and Eastern Washington.  They are both gunny types and are robust physically.

I want to gift them matched revolvers for their wedding gift to carry on their treks.

• These are packing pieces so they need to be durable, not heavy and reasonably compact.

What would you buy?

So my thoughts were a pair of 4" S&W 329s with Mag-na-port porting and action job.  Fit with the Houge rubber grips.  Simply Rugged holsters and some cash for good belts.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/473932/Mag-Na-Port_329_jpg-1629149.JPG

The attraction of the 329 is of course that it is really light.  For hiking and camping, that light weight really makes a difference.  Truly a carry a lot and hardly ever shoot deal.

I have a 329 four inch and a 69 with the 2-3/4 barrel.  I don't like how the 2-3/4 carries in the Simply Rugged.  It kind of wants to flop over vs the four inch 329 which rides real nice in a cross draw carry.

I think I'll take both out for a range day and see if I think the 329 is just going to be too brutal for my daughter.  I think her hands might be too small for the larger Houge X-frame grips.

There are some really nice single actions suggested, but I think it's best to stay double action for a aggressive critter defense piece.

BTW, I had some email conversations with Marc at Gemini Custom.  Wow he has some nice stuff.  His Ruger Alaskans are .
View Quote

If you go with an Airlite there is a lot of lower to mid range .44 RM ammo that's very effective, I'm sure you already know that. Or Higher end .44 Specials.

I would replace the Simply Rugged holster with a Mernickle, 5 bucks more in cost and much more usable IMO. You still get the "crossdraw" slot option and a holster that is  more reholster friendly (doesn't want to collapse when empty) and eats up a bit less belt space. On your budget you could get the package with a matching belt and speedloader holders and they would be set.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 12:23:47 AM EDT
[#42]
In the price range you’ve specified there’s many options. S&W products are always a sound choice and their performance center stuff has a solid rep. You could go with them, get your consecutive numbers and even some very tasteful engraving (if you think they’d like that) and still have fine, heritage quality firearms. Even have their names engraved if you liked.

Freedom Arms is another option, same engraving choices and unquestioned quality. Which do you think they’d cherish more. Honestly I suspect they’ll be thrilled no matter what you choose. This really IS a case where the thought matters more than anything else.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 9:35:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

If you go with an Airlite there is a lot of lower to mid range .44 RM ammo that's very effective, I'm sure you already know that. Or Higher end .44 Specials.

I would replace the Simply Rugged holster with a Mernickle, 5 bucks more in cost and much more usable IMO. You still get the "crossdraw" slot option and a holster that is  more reholster friendly (doesn't want to collapse when empty) and eats up a bit less belt space. On your budget you could get the package with a matching belt and speedloader holders and they would be set.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What would you buy?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/473932/Mag-Na-Port_329_jpg-1629149.JPG

The difference in usability between the simply rugged and mernickle is night and day.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 3:53:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Much as I detest the Hillary Hole...

Pair of Smith Model 69, 4-1/4" barrel.

Link Posted: 10/16/2020 4:21:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Much as I detest the Hillary Hole...

Pair of Smith Model 69, 4-1/4" barrel.

View Quote

329, I'd really want to plaster up the hole.  69s probably still, but not as urgent.

(My stomach knotted up a bit seeing Hillary and 69 in the same post...)
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 7:03:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

(My stomach knotted up a bit seeing Hillary and 69 in the same post...)
View Quote

Those butterflies can sure knot you up lol.

I plan on plugging the hole on my V-Comp one of these days.  What a ridiculous and pointless thing to put on a revolver.  Whoever approved capitulating to those nanny state lawyers should be publicly flogged by S&W customers.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 7:37:18 PM EDT
[#47]
You got any more daughters?

Asking for a friend.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 3:04:50 PM EDT
[#48]
I’ll second or third the Mountain Gun suggestions.  I’ve got a 4” 624 and it’s the same gun but in 44 Special.  Handles and carries nicer than my 4” 29’s.  Get some nice presentation grips along with some Hogues for carry and shooting.

The Diamond D Chest rigs look nice.  I’ve been a DM Bullard guy for some time for belt holsters but might have to pick up one of those “tanker” setups.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 4:51:49 PM EDT
[#49]
From the standpoint of a gift, I think the 329PD along with some quality leather would be an awesome gift.

From a utilitarian standpoint, I think a Glock 20 in a functional holster would be "more better".

I have a 329 PD (carried in a Milt Sparks leather holster as well as a Diamond D chest holster) and I have a Glock 20 (carried in a kydex hip holster or a Diamond D chest holster).  Of those two, the Glock 20 was carried more often (while I lived in AK).

I'm currently living in KS.  As such my S&W Shield is carried way more often than the 329 PD or the Glock 20.

I think either the Glock or the 329 PD would be appreciated as a thoughtful wedding gift, but from a functional standpoint.....it is difficult to outperform a powerful semiauto that can also accommodate a light for those bumps in the night.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 8:14:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Of those two, the Glock 20 was carried more often (while I lived in AK).
View Quote

Soooo, you are comfortable with 10mm for bear protection?

10mm has some really interesting options if it fills the bill.

Attachment Attached File

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top