Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2021 2:32:27 PM EDT
Hi, was thinking a bucket list revolver was the older Webley...Found a few "shaved" for .45ACP...I would load up lower pressure loads as I know the ACP beats the gun up, but I think with lead bullets and 231 or Trail Boss, would be fun to shoot....anyone have a Webley?   What do you feed it?  The Auto-Rim rounds should work too, right?   Thanks....found one for $895.    v/r Walt K
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 7:11:20 PM EDT
[#1]
You can use auto rim cases but they are more expensive and harder to find.

I just shoot typical Bullseye 200gr lead semi wadcutter loads in my shaved gun.

3.8 Bullseye works well and is plenty mild enough for shaved Webley.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 2:26:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Found these in Iraq
Enfield No2 Mk1 made in 1932
Nickeled Mk IV in .380 British
Webley Mk VI made in 1923

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

CD
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 1:20:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy some moonclips for a S&W 625 45 ACP and run lighter loaded 45 ACP in it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 12:48:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I have two Mk. VI Webleys, one with standard cylinder and one with a shaved cylinder, that I picked up mostly to have for parts should my primary need them.   I have an acceptable store of .455 Webley ammo, but would like some .45acp loaded to "cowboy action" spec.  Not going to start reloading now, though, as components are as rare as loaded ammo in any caliber.

Would it be possible to load the .455 lead Webley projectile in a .45acp case?  Barring that I suspect a 255gr. Long Colt lead projectile loaded to 600/650 ft./sec. would be acceptable.  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 12:59:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Handloading for the Webley Mk VI Revolver - Part 1 455 Webley.mov

Handloading for the Webley Mk VI Revolver - Part 2 - 45 ACP-AR.mov

Diameter of .45 ACP projos are .451/452"
Diameter of .45 Colt projos are .454"
Diameter of .455 Webley is .455/.456"

I would suggest Lyman's Reloading book if you can get your hands on a copy.  Think you could make a good load with Unique and Colt lead projos.

CD
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 6:57:54 AM EDT
[#7]
451 .452 ACP lead bullets work fine on Webley.

Cylinder throat is pretty tight so you are just squeezing down .454 or bigger. Factory webley lead bullets like Fiocchi are hollow base .
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 12:28:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been shooting and reloading for my 1918 Webley MKVI as the pistol in my club's vintage bolt action matches (pistols must be vintage just as the rifles) for several years.  Mine is stamped 6 tons (pressure).  The British use long tons, 2200 lbs. which translates to 13,200 psi.  A buddy of mine is a gunsmith and showed me a MKVI blown up shooting .45 ACP factory ball ammo which has determined my cautious reloading practice.   My loads are kept well below the 6 ton pressure using .455 data with either Berry's plated 45 Colt, 255 bullets or my buddy's 260 cast bullets with any suitable powder (700X, Tite Group, etc.) making sure the velocity of 600-650 fps holding the pressure at or below 10,000 psi.  This bullets at this velocity hit point of aim at 25 yds.  Great pistols, great history, and mild accurate shooting.  I use moon clips as well as auto rim brass but use moon clips for matches (I don't want to lose my auto rim brass).  Good luck and have fun.

Link Posted: 5/4/2021 11:46:05 AM EDT
[#9]
https://www.mattsbullets.com/

Matt's Bullets make a pretty good copy of the Mk II hollow base bullet for the 455 Webley, and its is properly sized.  You could probably load it in 45 ACP or 45 AR.  He also makes a good copy of the 38-200 Mk I bullet too.  I have been using his 38-200 200gr bullet for a few years in my Mark IV and just order more along with some of the 455 Mk II bullets for my new, to me, Webley Mark VI.

For reloading the Mark VI I am going to start with Vihtavuori N32C Tin Star under Matt's 260gr hollow-base bullet.  From Quickloads it looks like I can get to 600 fps with the 260gr bullet and stay well under the 13ksi pressure max using Tin Star.  Herco, VV N320, and as other have mentioned Bullseye look like good choices to try too.  I am using Herco in my Mark IV and nicely getting 600 fps with that 200 gr bullet.

Grafs and Sons has some good commercial 455 Webley Mk II ammo if you want to go that route, though OP would need a spacer to make up for the cut for 45 ACP on moonclips.  Its loaded in Star Line brass but using a 262gr flat base polymer coated bullet.  Shot decent in my Webley.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top