Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2020 8:41:55 AM EDT
I am looking for what people can recommend for a vest for CCW in warm weather.  Perfer not leather or tacticool covered with pockets.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 8:56:21 AM EDT
[#1]
We call them "shoot me first" vests...

What sized gun? How do you carry / what type of holster?
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 9:07:19 AM EDT
[#2]
P229, 4 o'clock, IWB
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 9:20:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Age/build?
Could you pull this off without being blatantly obvious?
I'm immediately aware of long cover in warm weather, and i know I'm not the only one.

https://www.concealedcarry.com/product/tropic-concealment-vest/

Link Posted: 4/8/2020 10:47:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I carry a G43 IWB and IWB mag and light pouch... I use a cape back nylon flats fishing shirt, short sleeved, one size large, unbuttoned.... I am careful when exiting the car on windy days, and hold my strong arm close... occasionally hook one button

in case you are not familiar with that type of shirt

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/world-wide-sportsman-nylon-angler-short-sleeve-shirt-for-men
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 10:55:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Any lightweight short sleeve button shirt unbuttoned would be cooler than a vest.

I use a fleece vest in the cooler months, but an unbuttoned short sleeve shirt in the warmer- and only carry OWB.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 11:26:37 AM EDT
[#6]
just wear an untucked shirt

vests are for IDPA nerds

a quality holster and belt designed for CCW should work fine

i carry a full sized M&P this way

Link Posted: 4/8/2020 12:00:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

just wear an untucked shirt

vests are for IDPA nerds

a quality holster and belt designed for CCW should work fine

i carry a full sized M&P this way

View Quote

Yep. Hell, sometimes I straight Open Carry. No one bats an eye, or comments about it. At least, that I have noticed.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 4:38:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
We call them "shoot me first" vests...

What sized gun? How do you carry / what type of holster?
View Quote

You might as well compliment the vest with one of the "licensed concealed carry holder" badges around your neck. :)   I agree with the others that said just wear an untucked shirt.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 4:50:20 PM EDT
[#9]
If you're going to wear an undershirt and an outer layer of clothing, then I'd recommend going with a short sleeve button down shirt a size larger than normal. Leave it untucked and unbuttoned.
That or just wear an extra size larger t-shirt and untuck it, no extra layers required. That or wear a normal size shirt and pocket carry a gun. I'm fond of pocket guns for hot weather.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 12:24:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Vests are for suits / tuxes, hunting or IDPA competitors who choose not to compete with what they normally wear or carry.

Longer polo shirts, unbuttoned short sleeved shirts or an untucked t-shirt is less likely to draw attention - either people will know you're hiding something or think you're an absolute goofy mess for wearing a vest in warm weather.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 3:38:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Vests are for suits / tuxes, hunting or IDPA competitors who choose not to compete with what they normally wear or carry.
View Quote

The fleece tech vest is almost as common as flannel shirts in the PNW and many other areas.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 3:47:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The fleece tech vest is almost as common as flannel shirts in the PNW and many other areas.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/171243/CrossDraw_jpg-1360817.JPG
View Quote

You wear that during the summer months?

I rest my case.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 10:57:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I rest my case.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/171243/CrossDraw_jpg-1360817.JPG

I rest my case.

C'mon, it's the 6th post from the top!  

Quoted:I use a fleece vest in the cooler months, but an unbuttoned short sleeve shirt in the warmer- and only carry OWB.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 9:54:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I just wear a t shirt.

But i carry a small gun like a 1911 or a k frame
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 10:44:29 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a Carhartt lightweight vest my wife bought me 3 years ago. I looked but don't see it in their on-line catalog. The tag says Force. You may be able to find one on Ebay. It has serveral pockets sort of like a fishing vest. Or you might try one the the 511 Conceal Carry short sleeve shirts.  Found one on Ebay.....https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carhartt-101978-Briscoe-Vest-For-Tall-Men-Rain-Defender/193213386385?hash=item2cfc6a4e91:m:mEqC-FTXJL7qH1diJv7_xlg
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 7:18:36 AM EDT
[#16]
I carry a G43 or M&P Shield in the summer. I normally wear just a t-shirt or a short sleeved button down.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 8:34:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Wow.  I’d give anybody wearing a vest in the middle of summer around here a very close examination, knowing that they’re either trying to conceal a gun or are psychotic or both.  

You really, really need to come up with another garment for concealment.  

Link Posted: 6/12/2020 8:57:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 9:56:28 AM EDT
[#19]

All good if you don't mind printing.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 10:10:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Another recommendation for an un-tucked button up shirt.  Hawaiian prints are getting a lot of attention right now, but the pattern can really break up any printing issues.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 10:31:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Another recommendation for an un-tucked button up shirt.  Hawaiian prints are getting a lot of attention right now, but the pattern can really break up any printing issues.
View Quote
I've been wearing hawaiian shirts w/ a Glock 26 recently.  It's getting up over 100 degrees and humid as hell here in KS.   It works well if you don't care much about the fashion statement.
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 10:27:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Button down untucked short or long sleeve(rolled up sleeve for summer) is my go to.  Also a normal t-shirt when I want to be extra casual.  I do wear undershirts with whatever I am wearing because I sweat a lot in the heat and rather not have my outer shirt with wet spots and it helps keep cooler.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 10:40:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Here in Alabama you have to be either insane or trying to conceal a DE to wear a vest during the summer.  Maybe both.    Not sure if you’re just starting to carry or a vest is actually your normal attire. But if just starting out as long as you avoid skintight shirts or very short shirts, nobody is going to really notice your carry gun under any kind of covering garment. A small number of carriers MAY notice some
Printing but most folks, even if they see suspicious lumps will assume it a cell phone. They won’t think ‘GUN’.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 10:51:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Glock 19 in waistband.
Until I start sweating and tee shirt comes off.
Then the glock goes in the big pocket of cargo shorts.

Vest? Are you nuts? In Dantes inferno? Hell no.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 4:09:38 PM EDT
[#25]
I can conceal a Glock 19, spare mag, and a Glock 43 under a fitted polo with no printing. Sturdy belt and low profile IWB holsters. No vest required.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 11:09:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Try an Israeli bodyguard shirt.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 11:15:01 PM EDT
[#27]
I bought a bunch of the Blackhawk shirts when LAPG or Botach had them on clearance for $10/ea. 2 of every color option

ETA: Jebus,  just looked at LAPG, they have more clearance shirts under $10

https://lapolicegear.com/clothing/shirts/button-up-shirts.html
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 1:04:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Try a really nice patterned fishing shirt, cool, comfortable, untucked and in fashion and doesn't stick out like a vest. JMHO
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 9:06:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I am looking for what people can recommend for a vest for CCW in warm weather.  Perfer not leather or tacticool covered with pockets.
View Quote

Not to much tacticool

Duluth Trading working man's vest
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 7:07:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Not to much tacticool

Duluth Trading working man's vest
View Quote

If you carry anywhere but SOB or offset AIWB that won't hide anything.
The side panels are see-through mesh.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 9:29:51 PM EDT
[#31]
I try to stay away from vests as a general fashion rule, but for a light cover garment the Columbia long-sleeve hiking shirts are nice. They are light and cool, but block sunlight as well as cover guns.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 9:32:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I bought a bunch of the Blackhawk shirts when LAPG or Botach had them on clearance for $10/ea. 2 of every color option

ETA: Jebus,  just looked at LAPG, they have more clearance shirts under $10

https://lapolicegear.com/clothing/shirts/button-up-shirts.html
View Quote
I have a ton of those but they are pretty warm in hot weather. I used to wear them in 100F+ degree heat and that was too hot, but if your idea of hot is 85-90F those are great.

ETA: I've found most people don't notice, so if this is only as a cover garment just wear a loose t-shirt. I've carried pretty massive/magnum guns owb in a tight-fitting shirt and no one noticed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top