Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2022 4:20:44 PM EST
Any experiences?
Holster preferences?
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 5:29:40 PM EST
[#1]
The PP like the Sig 230/232 are excellent handguns who's time for front line CC has passed them by.  There are better choices in smaller packages out there.  If your going for the 007 experience, Galco leather's shoulder holsters are what you seek.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 7:24:53 PM EST
[Last Edit: Whoisthatguy] [#2]
Not looking for the Bond vibe.
Just looking for the info asked for in my OP.

The gun you have on you is infinitely better than the one you left at home.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 8:51:26 PM EST
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lawdog2831:
Not looking for the Bond vibe.
Just looking for the info asked for in my OP.

The gun you have on you is infinitely better than the one you left at home.
View Quote

Nothing is wrong with using a PP for cc.  I use a sticky holster holster.  

Regards

Link Posted: 2/26/2022 10:02:02 AM EST
[#4]
Originally Posted By lawdog2831:
Any experiences?
Holster preferences?
View Quote

I carry my Walther PP in a Don Hume IWB H715M #16 holster. I also use a Safariland Model 8 OWB medium auto holster.
Gary
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 7:54:48 PM EST
[#5]
Not exactly state of the art but it will work just fine.  Double action trigger is usually pretty gruesome but the single tends to be nice. Surprisingly accurate little guns.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 8:23:14 PM EST
[#6]
Carry the same way I do with any other handgun. IWB at the 3-5 o'clock positions. Of course 32acp is pretty weak, but it's better than nothing. If you can get a 380acp that's a little better. Of course with all the great little 9mm pistols out there, idk why you'd bother.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 7:44:23 AM EST
[#7]
I was just thinking about short errands etc.
I have heavier caliber options for other trips.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 8:05:14 PM EST
[#8]
The Walther PP and PPK series are the 1911's of the .32-.380 so called pocket pistols...... No one ever quite managed to get all the features in so small and high a quality pistol.

They deliver the goods just as well as they did in the old days.
The DA trigger is very heavy, but if you practice with it you soon no longer notice until you let someone else try it and watch as they pull and pull and then ask if the safety is on.

Accuracy is almost always excellent, and reliability is excellent with ammo the gun "likes".
They like to be run a little wetter with lube, and every one I owned worked best with a little grease on the barrel, recoil spring, slide and frame rails.

Most holster makers still offer holsters for the PP, and you can carry it in any type carry position.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 8:35:32 PM EST
[Last Edit: axl] [#9]
This is my West German  Sig 230 SL - same size and basic function as a PP except in .380. I carry it every day in my back pocket using this Bulldog holster. I also have a PP and a PPK and use the same holster.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 7:46:02 AM EST
[#10]
I carry a PP in a Crossbreed Supertuck when I am off duty.  Very comfortable and difficult to notice.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 4:55:39 PM EST
[#11]
The PP dates abc, to 1929 and was the first commercially successful DA/SA pistol.  The smaller PPK followed in 1931.

Both are very pleasant to shoot in .32 ACP / 7.65 Browning and similarly allow a skilled shooter to put the entire magazine on target very quickly.

The fixed barrel design is also very accurate for a small concealed carry pistol.

The Walther PP series pistols were manufactured by Manurhin from  the early 1950s to 1982 under a license agreement with Walther, and during that time the Walther “made” PP series pistols frames, slides and small parts were made by Manurhin but shipped to Walther for roll marking final finishing and inspection by Walther.  They often have mis matched bluing on the fame and slide.  Walther didn’t start making them in-house until 1983, and then the quality suffered.  In short the Manurhin made PPs are great quality and better deals.

A lot of people express the opinion that 32 ACP is under powered, but all handgun rounds are underpowered.  In my own ballistic testing I have found that 60 gr XTPs will penetrate 12-13” in 10% ballistic gel and reliably expand provided the velocity is in the 1000-1050 fps range and the 3.9” PP does that very well.  

Accuracy matters and the initial DA pull will take some practice. It’s around 12 pounds and it’s a geometry issue, so the local gun plumber isn’t going to improve it. But with some practice it’s easily manageable.  The SA trigger is generally very good.

I like the Galco Executove holster for concealed carry with a cover garment but it’s been discontinued for several years.

A suitably sized Lawrence or Bianchi vertical shoulder holster also works well with a cover garment.

I’m also a fan of the tuckable Wild Bills Concealment Covert Carry for a number of pistols , including the PP.

The shorter slide PPK/S also works well with a pocket holster,

Link Posted: 7/19/2022 10:16:50 AM EST
[#12]
It's doable. I pocket carried one for a while (I think with no holster, safety on), used it more often in a Ken Null SMZ shoulder rig which worked nicely. As long as you can shoot it without it eating the web of your hand, it's good (I couldn't, so I sold it for a different gun). Heavier than needed for the current day, but it's only 25 ounces or so fully loaded.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 12:24:11 AM EST
[#13]
I carry a stainless steel PPK in the summer, and a blued PP in the winter.

Folks will complain about the PPK weight.  Not an issue for me.  

Sure, it is an older design.  Funny tho, if I could CCW my SAA 7.5" Colt .45 easily, I'd carry that!  Now that is really old 1873 technology!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top