Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2021 5:51:18 PM EDT
Im going to be completely shamefully transparent here.  I  did something that none of us shoudl really do: saw that a Walther PDP was available on Ranier, and bought it out of FOMO, and because I have seen int making the rounds on YouTube.  This is awful behavior, I know - it's arguable that we shoudl not buy things that we don't really need in shortages.

I have not picked up from the FFL yet, so its not "mine".

I have a Glock 17 as my main training sidearm, and a 19 for carry.  I don't NEED anything else, but I am curious about this platform, they are fairly hard to get at the moment, and the price was right,.  I really wanted a Q4SF, but this seems like a Glock-quailty gun with abetter trigger for half the price.  That said, I have heard some pros and cons about this firearm. What concerns me the most is 1: the stock RMR mounts are not as good as 3rd party, and 2. there i currently no good Safariland or other serious holster for it.  People are generally modding a lot on the PDP, and thats something Id rather do with a Glock.

Aside from that, I am curious if you guys think this is a keeper.  I have a few other things to pay for this season, and this isn't thigh on the list.  Then again, I may thank myself later for nabbing something that seems fairly well received.

I am trying to offload a Sig 220 via consignment (also listed here) to balance things out, and that was the all steel firearm I woudl have liked to replace with a Q4.  

Anyway  - stick with what I got, or wait for what I know I really want?
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 8:39:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Pick it up and take it on two range sessions. You’ll know if you like it  at that time. If you don’t it’ll be easy to resell.

I’m thinking of selling my PPQ 5” Match polymer only because I don’t shoot local comps anymore and they’re bringing decent money. Pretty certain I’ll never part with my PPQ M1. They’re a great factory pistol.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 11:34:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Based on the delta in grip angle on your Glock's, I would recommend getting rid of the PDP.

Over the past few years I have come to the conclusion that one should only own Glocks or everything else. Having 1911 grip angles intermixed with Glocks results in poor presentation. I don't follow this advice but deep down, I know I need to pick a grip angle and then chose which pistols to keep.

Edit:

I own a PDP compact and it is a fantastic pistol.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 6:29:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Based on the delta in grip angle on your Glock's, I would recommend getting rid of the PDP.

Over the past few years I have come to the conclusion that one should only own Glocks or everything else. Having 1911 grip angles intermixed with Glocks results in poor presentation. I don't follow this advice but deep down, I know I need to pick a grip angle and then chose which pistols to keep.

Edit:

View Quote

I see.  I did not think about that al all.  Great input.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:52:03 PM EDT
[#4]
You had to start a whole new thread?

PDP is a good gun, but it is the most over-hyped and over-marketed firearm I have ever seen.

If you already have Glocks and are proficient with them, then there is no reason to switch or muddy up your skills.

Also, you could have bought my barely used one that I offered to you in your other thread.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 9:11:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Edit:

View Quote

I tend to take a mixture of firearms to the range and you can’t do that if you own a glock.
All my Glocks had to go.
Good to read that it’s not just me.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 9:47:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit:

The grip angle thing is nonsense.  I used to feel the same way.  Then I took a few classes and learned proper grip, draw, and presentation.  It was just small tweaks but it made all the difference.  I own Glock, M&P, CZ, Sig, Walther, and 1911 pattern pistols.  Transitioning from one to another is seamless once you train for it.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 10:07:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The grip angle thing is nonsense.  I used to feel the same way.  Then I took a few classes and learned proper grip, draw, and presentation.  It was just small tweaks but it made all the difference.  I own Glock, M&P, CZ, Sig, Walther, and 1911 pattern pistols.  Transitioning from one to another is seamless once you train for it.  
View Quote
Many, if not most, perhaps all, will disagree. Myself included.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 10:33:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Try shooting a couple of boxes of ammo with a non-Glock using a timer in match like conditions.
Transition to a Glock in the same scenario and you either will have a great time, but won't hit shit or make good shoots but your time will suck.

Odds are you haven't tried this.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 6:18:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I am not comfortable wit the mounting system - no matter what Walther says about testing, or how many one handed manipulations I see.  Its bad engineering.  No Bosses, two screws taking all the pressure.

Listing.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 10:58:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I am not comfortable wit the mounting system - no matter what Walther says about testing, or how many one handed manipulations I see.  Its bad engineering.  No Bosses, two screws taking all the pressure.

Listing.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/31/2022 12:18:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Listing.
View Quote

Well, maybe you will give the PDP another shot in March when the PDP Pro SD hits the market. They've addressed your mounting system concerns and added a bunch of additional features that have me looking forward to adding a full-size PDP Pro SD to my stable.

It really is a fantastic gun, irrespective of your mounting concerns.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 2:47:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Try shooting a couple of boxes of ammo with a non-Glock using a timer in match like conditions.
Transition to a Glock in the same scenario and you either will have a great time, but won't hit shit or make good shoots but your time will suck.

Odds are you haven't tried this.
View Quote

I switch between Staccatos, Glocks, CZ Shadow 2, VP9 and 320's. No issues at all swapping platforms. The only thing that I notice a difference in is 25 yard B8's and that is because my 2011 triggers are sub 2 pounds and allow me to get away with some things I can't using factory striker fired guns. On close fast stuff like Bill Drills the difference between all of them is negligible. I shoot a lot more than most people I know though.

I had a 4.5" PDP with a 507c when they first came out. The only thing I liked about it was the trigger. Its way bigger than it needs to be and when I had mine magazines were impossible to find which made it useless to me. I bought it because I found a decent deal and wanted to check out the hype for myself. It never occurred to me they wouldn't have ANY mags available. I know better than to get into a new platform without checking on that stuff but I just didn't do it. After about 500 rounds and the factory telling me basically "The mags will get here when they get here stop bothering us." I sold it.

My opinion whenever the "Should I buy XYZ?" comes up is that you should absolutely buy it and try it for yourself. The PDP is not for me but some people like it. Some of them are even people that were not given the gun for free.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top