Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2021 9:03:23 AM EDT
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

I experienced this failure of my extended-capacity Mec/Gar P99-PPQ .40 mag on Saturday. It looks like the tab that pushes up on the slide release lever sheared off at some point, though I was unloading rounds from the mag by hand when it happened. I got three rounds out of the mag when the follower stuck inside the mag body, so I slapped the mag against the palm of my hand. The rounds fell out & the follower came forward with a ‘snap’, and a piece of the follower flew out of the mag.

I sent pics to Mec/Gar and started a thread in the Walther forum about this issue, but was told twice to ‘contact Walther’. The gun is a twenty year old Gen1 P99, and the mag was bought from CDNN last summer & has seen little use except for riding in a glove-box as a reload.

Has anyone seen a follower break like this? If it was a 9mm mag I’d be able to find replacement followers, but parts for the .40 mags are not out there.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:29:56 AM EDT
[#1]
AFAIK, P99 and PPQ use identical magazines.
Get PPQ replacement parts.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:43:10 AM EDT
[#2]
My PPQ m2 40S&W will reliably feed from a PPQ m2 9mm mag ......so maybe a 9mm follower will work
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 6:10:13 PM EDT
[#3]
CDNN says to contact Mec/Gar, Mec/Gar says to contact Walther, waiting on Walther for further info.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 1:19:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Walther says ‘box it up and send it to us, we'll make it right’, so that’s what I did.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:50:13 PM EDT
[#5]
After two weeks and zero communication with Walther/Umarex other than their initial 'send it in' email, my mag is on its way back from Fort Smith. Due to weather issues, who knows when it will show up?

They could have just sent me a follower, but maybe they wanted to have a closer look at the broken part. Maybe if they actually answered the occasional email from me, I'd have known the reason, but they didn't. My one and only phone call to them went something like, "Oh, yeah, we probably haven't even looked at it yet(after having my mag for over a week), we'll get to it when we get to it".

Oh, well.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:49:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Got the mag back yesterday. Invoice says that the replacement follower cost $4 but they replaced it for free. What could have been over in three days if they’d mailed me a new follower got dragged out to a month, all over a $4 part. I’m just going to scrounge parts elsewhere than ever deal directly with Walther/UMAREX.

Oh, well, it’s been nice talking to myself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top