Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/8/2019 5:05:59 PM EDT
I've got a friend that has both for sale. Both for well under $400, each comes with six mags, the Walther comes with a laser sight. No, I don't know which brand of the laser. Question, which should I be looking at? I've got a MkIV that I've had for about 15 years so I'm well versed on them. I do know about the double action trigger pull on the Walther. What I'm looking for is a training pistol that has pretty much the same feel in the hand as a centerfire pistol. Which one would everyone suggest to get. At this time I can only afford one our youngest daughter is getting married next month, I figure I can only swing one right now. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 5:08:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never had an issue with the Walther. It runs great with a can, and I've put thousands of rounds thru it.

Buy the Buckmark.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 5:13:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've never had an issue with the Walther. It runs great with a can, and I've put thousands of rounds thru it.

Buy the Buckmark.
View Quote
after an apparently glowing review of the P22 you suggest the BuckMark, care to explain why?
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 5:18:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

after an apparently glowing review of the P22 you suggest the BuckMark, care to explain why?
View Quote
It has a tiny grip, so that alone does not make it good for your purpose of duplicating the feel of a centerfire pistol. The slide is cast zinc which a lot of people have had issues with breakage, and overall it doesn't have the build quality of the Buckmark.

I figured the huge number of Buckmark fans and P22 haters would have made it in here already with more details.

Sorry for being flip.

ETA: Used P22's go for about $200 around me.  I have the laser for mine;  I think it was around $99 new.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 5:22:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It has a tiny grip, so that alone does not make it good for your purpose of duplicating the feel of a centerfire pistol. The slide is cast zinc which a lot of people have had issues with breakage, and overall it doesn't have the build quality of the Buckmark.

I figured the huge number of Buckmark fans and P22 haters would have made it in here already with more details.

Sorry for being flip.

ETA: Used P22's go for about $200 around me.  I have the laser for mine; l I think it was around $99 new.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry for being flip.

ETA: Used P22's go for about $200 around me.  I have the laser for mine; l I think it was around $99 new.
This is why I don't post in the tech forums too often, slow usually a pretty slow response time in the tech forums.
thanks, didn't think you were flip, just needed some clarification. I've got large hands, so the comment about tiny grip intrests me. I knew about the zinc slide, that is a concern also. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:59:33 PM EDT
[#5]
P22= tiny grip.
Handed down as kids grow up because of it.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 10:59:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Having shot both in the same session, I would jump on the Buckmark 9/10. If you just can't or won't suppress, the Buckmark takes it every time.  The Walther does a good job emulating a combat handgun but without the polish that I felt was needed.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 11:14:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Having shot both in the same session, I would jump on the Buckmark 9/10. If you just can't or won't suppress, the Buckmark takes it every time.  The Walther does a good job emulating a combat handgun but without the polish that I felt was needed.
View Quote
Interestingly enough, the comment about the Walther P22 emulating a combat handgun is intriguing.  What are you thinking there?

I have an early production P22 and a 5.5in 'bull-barrel' Buckmark.  And I have a lot of 'combat handguns.'  I don't see the P22 as related to 'combat handguns' at all.  Were you thinking of the Walther PPQ in .22LR instead?  I have one of those too, and it's a great handgun, and could be considered as 'emulating a combat handgun.'

Of the two mentioned by the OP, I would take the Buckmark in a flash.  While there have been problems with the zinc slide of the P22 (and that bothers me.  I bought the one that I have back when S&W was advertising them and selling them, and they flat out lied by claiming they had a steel slide.), I have had no problems with mine (the original early magazines even work well with mine).  Still, if I wanted a gun like that today, I'd snap up the Ruger SR22 well before a Walther P22.

It somewhat depends on what you want the gun to do for you (well, it almost always depends on that).

The Buckmark I have is much bigger than the P22 and has been completely reliable.  And, especially since I have big hands, it feels much better in my hands (but, having said that, the Ruger SR22 and the Walther P22 feel pretty good too).

For what little it's worth...

Forrest
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 11:34:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Interestingly enough, the comment about the Walther P22 emulating a combat handgun is intriguing.  What are you thinking there?

I have an early production P22 and a 5.5in 'bull-barrel' Buckmark.  And I have a lot of 'combat handguns.'  I don't see the P22 as related to 'combat handguns' at all.  Were you thinking of the Walther PPQ in .22LR instead?  I have one of those too, and it's a great handgun, and could be considered as 'emulating a combat handgun.'

Of the two mentioned by the OP, I would take the Buckmark in a flash.  While there have been problems with the zinc slide of the P22 (and that bothers me.  I bought the one that I have back when S&W was advertising them and selling them, and they flat out lied by claiming they had a steel slide.), I have had no problems with mine (the original early magazines even work well with mine).  Still, if I wanted a gun like that today, I'd snap up the Ruger SR22 well before a Walther P22.

It somewhat depends on what you want the gun to do for you (well, it almost always depends on that).

The Buckmark I have is much bigger than the P22 and has been completely reliable.  And, especially since I have big hands, it feels much better in my hands (but, having said that, the Ruger SR22 and the Walther P22 feel pretty good too).

For what little it's worth...

Forrest
View Quote
Now that you mention it, I think so. My comments should be read that way. My revised input is 10/10 to select the Buckmark
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 12:59:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Buddies Walther .22 was heavily used by him.  Frame cracked twice.

He sold it after the second repair from walther.

My buckmark has never had an issue.

No comparison.  Two different leagues of firearms.

Txl
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 5:54:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Buckmark is 10 times the gun as the Walther is.

The laser adds probably $100-125 to the gun's price, which is too much, IMO.

If you're looking for a cheaper .22, I would look at the M&P over the P-22, IMO.

For the record, I own three Buckmarks. Love them all.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 6:01:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Buy the Buckmark, all things being equal.

The P22 is a decent little pistol, but its not a heirloom quality firearm, IMO.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 6:10:35 AM EDT
[#12]
My Dad has both.  The Walther has been sent to the factory for repairs twice.  I know one of those times was because it wouldn't cycle reliably.  It does work now however he's soured on it  It lives in the safe.  His buckmark was before, during, and since his go to rimfire.  Never been a issue.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 11:53:29 AM EDT
[#13]
I've had both,  still own the Buckmark.
My P22 rarely made it through a mag without a failure. Mini-Mags worked best, but not 100%.
The Browning seems to eat anything.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 12:01:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Walther looks cool but it's junk... Had one and it ran for a while... Browning or Ruger are way better made 22's
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 12:26:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 12:42:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I have both, the Buckmark has a 3.5" stainless barrel threaded by Tornado.
The Walther is stock except for a Hotrod9mm suppressor interface.

I run them both with cans.
The Buckmark is heavier, but the trigger is better.
The Walther is smaller, and operator AF.

Small and light for backpacking, Walther.
Accuracy and long life, Browning.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 12:49:29 PM EDT
[#17]
I've had a P22 since 2004 and never had an issue. It's been shot who knows how many times.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 3:52:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I’ve got both and would go Buckmark 10 times out of 10. The P22 is very finicky about what it will shoot, if it will shoot, if it will cycle, etc. I only keep it because my wife likes it. The Buckmark is accurate, reliable and feels better. The only thing the P22 has over the Buckmark is it may be a little quieter suppressed (haven’t metered, just to my ear). It doesn’t cycle subs reliably though so that kinda negates the benefit.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 5:37:42 PM EDT
[#19]
I have both as well, and will pick up the P-22 before the buckmark.  The P-22 slide is full length, so it handles like any other full sized weapon for chamber checks, malfunctions, etc.  Shoots well.

That said, the Buckmark is a nice pistol and there is nothing wrong with it at all.

How much are you looking to pay for one of those?  I got to fondle a Taurus TX-22 at the gun show yesterday, and with a street price of ~$280 for a new one, it might be another option over a used Buckmark or P-22.  16 round capacity vs 10 rounds for either of these.  Even with modding the P-22 mags, you only get 13.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 7:35:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have both as well, and will pick up the P-22 before the buckmark.  The P-22 slide is full length, so it handles like any other full sized weapon for chamber checks, malfunctions, etc.  Shoots well.

That said, the Buckmark is a nice pistol and there is nothing wrong with it at all.

How much are you looking to pay for one of those?  I got to fondle a Taurus TX-22 at the gun show yesterday, and with a street price of ~$280 for a new one, it might be another option over a used Buckmark or P-22.  16 round capacity vs 10 rounds for either of these.  Even with modding the P-22 mags, you only get 13.
View Quote
If you're thinking about the Taurus TX22, make sure that you take a good look at the bore before you buy one.

The one that I got (which is nice in every way but) has a really crappy bore that leads up badly.  And I'm not the only one (check out the thread in the Taurus forum below)...

Just sayin'...

Forrest
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 8:13:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The one that I got (which is nice in every way but) has a really crappy bore that leads up badly.  And I'm not the only one (check out the thread in the Taurus forum below)...
Forrest
View Quote
Can you share the link?
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 8:14:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Had a P22 for a while and though I had no issues with it, I gave it to my BIL to train his girls with. Grip was WAY to small for me. I shoot full size .22s these days, mostly with conversion kits or my S&W K-frame .22s
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top