Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2023 12:51:26 PM EDT
Hi all, my wife recently purchased her first handgun, a brand new Walther CCP M2 and it seems very finicky ammo-wise.  I've never owned a Walther, I have always owned Glocks, HKs, Sigs and a Beretta so I am not used to having jamming issues.  At this point, we've fired a good 300-400 rounds of various makes of FMJ and still get a FTF or stovepipe every few mags fired.  I cleaned/lubed it per the manual thoroughly several times and it still hiccups.  Doesn't seem to be mag specific, happens with either mag, neither from lack of firm grip.  Happened less with the hotter 9mm 124gr NATO spec FMJ but even that wasn't 100%.  At this point, she is getting discouraged because this is for her to carry for protection and I won't let her carry it if it could fail her if she ever needs to use it, God forbid.  I reached out to Walther and they said to send it in, but that's a pain in NY because of stringent BS handgun laws, currently a felony to bring onto private property without formal permission from property/store owner.  

Any advice from other CCP owners?  Anyone encounter this jamming issue?

On a positive note, the CCP M2 is a super comfortable, lower recoil, accurate 9mm.  She loves it except for the jamming, and even for me it's a potentially great little gun.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 1:15:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EncoreGolf] [#1]
Mine runs like a raped ape.  Gets hot quick though.  I bought it for weaklings I train in my CPL classes.  Way more ergonomic than the S&W EZ9.  And being a fixed barrel, it's laser accurate too.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 2:27:38 PM EDT
[#2]
The CCP is a gas operated system and has to be cleaned more often.

You can give Walther a call and get it looked at. They have 24 hrs turn around on services
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 2:46:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By EncoreGolf:
Mine runs like a raped ape.  Gets hot quick though.  I bought it for weaklings I train in my CPL classes.  Way more ergonomic than the S&W EZ9.  And being a fixed barrel, it's laser accurate too.
View Quote

LOL, my wife bought the CCP precisely because she's a weakling.  The easily racked slide and reduced recoil is ideal for her.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 5:01:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Not understanding the type of malfunction its hard to say. The first place I would look is at the factory mags. Just because they are new and factory, it doesn't dismiss a possible issue. Perhaps you can explain are take a picture of the malfunction.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 2:40:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gettysburg30] [#5]
I have a CCP M2+

I had a similar issue but it was me not the gun, could be she is limp wristing, and not properly locking her wrist.  It does take a bit of getting use to as it is a smaller gun.  You mentioned this was her first gun, how much experience does she have? The other issue I had noticed was occasionally my strong hand thumb would ride on the slide inducing a malfunction.  Does it malfunction when you shoot it?  I would say the minimum I would carry and train with is 124g
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 6:35:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By gettysburg30:
I have a CCP M2+

I had a similar issue but it was me not the gun, could be she is limp wristing, and not properly locking her wrist.  It does take a bit of getting use to as it is a smaller gun.  You mentioned this was her first gun, how much experience does she have? The other issue I had noticed was occasionally my strong hand thumb would ride on the slide inducing a malfunction.  Does it malfunction when you shoot it?  I would say the minimum I would carry and train with is 124g
View Quote

Thanks for chiming in!  Naturally, limp wristing was my first thought, until it happened to me as well and I purposely had a solid lock shoulder, arm & wrist lock.  Weaker arms & wrists might be making it jam more frequently, but it does not seem to be the sole cause.  The strong hand thumb along the slide is something I had not considered.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 7:16:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By BMANSAR15:

Thanks for chiming in!  Naturally, limp wristing was my first thought, until it happened to me as well and I purposely had a solid lock shoulder, arm & wrist lock.  Weaker arms & wrists might be making it jam more frequently, but it does not seem to be the sole cause.  The strong hand thumb along the slide is something I had not considered.  Thanks.
View Quote

These guns get filthy quickly.  Clean it well after every time shooting and lube the piss outta the barrel exterior.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 10:40:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gettysburg30] [#8]

These guns get filthy quickly.  Clean it well after every time shooting and lube the piss outta the barrel exterior.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BMANSAR15:

I concur its design lends it to blow fouling everywhere, that is why i'd recommend better quality ammo at a higher pressure.  This gun in particular not a great idea to run crap blazer or known dirty lightweight ammo in it.  It has a light recoil spring so need good clear positive pressure to cycle and doesn't throw brass very far.  Use the little brush it comes with to clean the piston bore well. Watch your wife shoot and look for the gun to tip back, might be a good idea to video her and then review after the range.    

I shoot full size autos so i've had to work at my grip a bit to get it to run correctly, as it is oversized to this gun. I was doing double taps this weekend. Its going to take a bit of training and practice to put it in memory.  It is possible that there could be a manufacturing issue with the spring or a burr but your description is seems to to come and go and not consistent.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 10:52:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Had experienced issues with one awhile back, changed lubrication to a combination of grease and CLP and made the cleaning schedule more regular. Been fine for quite some time now.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 1:21:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks again everybody for your experiences and suggestions.  Maybe it was a break-in thing?  We went to the range this afternoon and my wife fired 3 full boxes (150 rnds) of the 9mm NATO 124gr and it functioned 100% reliably, nary a hitch.  Didn't try any other types of 9mm, just the NATO FMJ.  Cleaned thoroughly and lubed after we got home.  I have 2 more boxes on hand of the 9mm NATO, if she can get through those 100% the same as today, I will start trying some defensive JHP out.  

We shall see.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 2:22:59 AM EDT
[#11]
If that doesn't work there's the S&W EZ in 9x19mm & .380 ACP versions, as well as a couple of Rugers that were designed to be easy to rack.

There's one or two .380 ACP loads that meet the basic FBI protocols, expanding reliably & penetrating @ least 12" in gel.

RIA .38 snubs are cheap & 148 grn wadcutters cut a .356" hole through whatever they're pointed at.

It's a fascinating gas system, would love to play w/ one for a bit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top