Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 11/18/2020 3:59:07 PM EDT
...after the last round. It started a long time ago with just one mag and I thought it was a mag issue, so I sent the mag back to HK and they said they fixed it, however shortly after I got it back it started not locking back again. Now it is not locking back with any of the magazines that I have. Anybody know of a fix that doesn't require a trip back to Georgia for gun.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 4:28:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Ammo and/or your grips? I bought some Federal Black Packs and they would not lock the slide back on some 9mm. As an instructor, I've seen shooters not gripping their guns "solid" enough for the light impulse ammo to lock back the slides. I've also seen shooters' grip interfering with the slide stop from functioning properly. Don't know you well enough so I am just throwing these out there.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 4:39:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Some of the 9mm HKs are stiff when new and they recommend running hot NATO or S&B stuff to break them in. I would detail strip, re-lube, and try some hot ammo. Are you sure you're not riding the slide release? A lot of people have a tendency to do this with P30/VP9. If that doesn't fix it, you could try replacing your slide release. Maybe it is out of spec? There is not much else it could be.

VP9 Slide Release 260431
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 4:51:43 PM EDT
[#3]
High likelihood that it's your thumb riding the slide release lever.  I do it, many others do it as well.  Try shooting it left handed or have just one in the chamber and an empty mag and really tuck your thumb down.  Still need to tuck the thumb down shooting left handed but the slide lever on that side isn't nearly as pronounced.  HK really needs to release (or someone needs to make) a low-profile slide release lever for the VP9.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 7:58:11 AM EDT
[#4]
My VP9 didn’t lock back on a few various 15 round mags.  When the slide stop did catch, it BARELY got caught on the slide catch.  You could rattle the gun and the slide would slam shut again.  
I had the brilliant idea of disassembling the mags and stretching the springs out slightly and that seemed to remedy the problem.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 2:09:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My VP9 didn’t lock back on a few various 15 round mags.  When the slide stop did catch, it BARELY got caught on the slide catch.  You could rattle the gun and the slide would slam shut again.  
I had the brilliant idea of disassembling the mags and stretching the springs out slightly and that seemed to remedy the problem.
View Quote

Something like this is what's happening to me. I played with the firearm this morning and it will not lock no matter where my thumb unless I push up on the slide release. So either stretch some springs or try a new left side slide release. (which is out of stock every where).

eta-Okay, so I stretched the spring a little on the worst offending mag and viola, slide locks back when empty. I don't think that this is the ideal solution, but until I can get a new slide catch I guess it will suffice. I would modify the existing catch, but I want a spare in case that goes badly.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 12:12:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I've seen this before. You're riding the slide lock.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 11:49:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Try shooting with your non-dominant hand and see if it still occurs.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 7:00:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I disassemble the mags, wipe everything down with a very light coating of oil.  See if that helps first.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 7:08:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I disassemble the mags, wipe everything down with a very light coating of oil.  See if that helps first.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 10:13:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

100% this.  I always shot usp'sand when I got my vp9 I had this issue.  Once I swapped hands and realized I was on the slide lock, The issue went away.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 8:34:47 AM EDT
[#11]
They were designed to shoot with 124 grain NATO. Many people have issues with lower power rounds.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 1:16:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
They were designed to shoot with 124 grain NATO. Many people have issues with lower power rounds.
View Quote

Mine would not cycle 115 grain practice ammo at first, but after a few hundred rounds that resolved.  I have heard that H&K changed to a 9mm-specific spring assembly in recent production guns that resolves this issue.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 7:36:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Mine would not cycle 115 grain practice ammo at first, but after a few hundred rounds that resolved.  I have heard that H&K changed to a 9mm-specific spring assembly in recent production guns that resolves this issue.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't believe this is correct, the silver RSA is the standard for both the VP9 and the VP40 now.  The red one was the original part for the VP9, the slide would push out of battery too easily.  I have a pretty low serial number VP9 and I swapped out to the silver RSA, it's been great.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 4:16:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I don't believe this is correct, the silver RSA is the standard for both the VP9 and the VP40 now.  The red one was the original part for the VP9, the slide would push out of battery too easily.  I have a pretty low serial number VP9 and I swapped out to the silver RSA, it's been great.
View Quote

OK.  I'll check mine when I get home and report back.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 11:24:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Happens to me a lot but it is my thumbs forward shooting.  Had to have someone video me before I believe it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 12:24:16 PM EDT
[#16]
extra power mag springs??
https://www.gunsprings.com/HK%20-%20HECKLER%20&%20KOCH/VP9/cID1/mID26/dID446
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 10:53:09 PM EDT
[#17]
HK recommends cycling out your mags every month. Ive had two VP9 have the mag spring get weak after a few mo of being leaded. Hasn’t been an issue on my HK45s. Not an issue on my P30SK that I cycle.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:22:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
High likelihood that it's your thumb riding the slide release lever.  I do it, many others do it as well.  Try shooting it left handed or have just one in the chamber and an empty mag and really tuck your thumb down.  Still need to tuck the thumb down shooting left handed but the slide lever on that side isn't nearly as pronounced.  HK really needs to release (or someone needs to make) a low-profile slide release lever for the VP9.
View Quote

Shooting left handed will make your slide lock back when it shouldnt depending on how your grip is.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:44:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
HK recommends cycling out your mags every month. Ive had two VP9 have the mag spring get weak after a few mo of being leaded. Hasn’t been an issue on my HK45s. Not an issue on my P30SK that I cycle.
View Quote

Where did you read or hear this? I've yet to cycle any of my mags out and have left mags loaded for well over a year. None have failed me.

Only time I've had issues with a VP9 not locking back was a slide catch that was out of spec, which HK replaced. (Was one of the very first shipped models).
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top