Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2020 10:51:51 AM EDT
I recently jettisoned my Glocks and replaced them with Performance Center M&P M2.0s.  I sold my Glocks with the gun lights so I’m in the market and also think it’s time to upgrade the lights on my other guns which are all Streamlight TLR-1’s that are about 7 years old.  

I’ve been happy with the Streamlights and have no issues with any of them so I’m thinking of just sticking with them. My question is if I should consider the light/laser combos like the TLR 8a.  I have RMRs on two of the new M&Ps which are CORE models so not needed there but for the other ones and the existing guns, I’m wondering if I should consider it.   Also, when/why would you select the shorter models like the 7 vs the “standard” length like what I have now or with the new TLR 9 or TLR 1 HL.  On some of the guns that are the 4.25 barrels... the lights extend past obviously but that hasn’t seemed to be an issue but at the same time... there weren’t a lot of short options back then.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 11:44:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I think it just comes down to personal preference and how much light you want/need. Also, something else to take into consideration, if you ever want to carry them, is holster availability.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 3:47:14 PM EDT
[#2]
It seems Streamlight is accommodated by a lot.  

I’m just curious what the thoughts are on light/laser combos available
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 9:03:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an Olight BALDR red on my CZ P-07. I assume they modeled it after the Streamlight TLR-2. I like it well enough, it seems to hold zero. The offset to the sights makes it hard to zero because you either need to always compensate for the laser to sight offset, or zero it for a certain range and then test and remember how it changes at different ranges. I guess considering likely engagement scenarios as long as you aim for the upper chest area you will get a hit in a vital area.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 9:11:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a TLR-8 around here somewhere... might be on my backup HD pistol. It's... OK. The laser, in hindsight, is a bit gimmicky. It's just not as useful as you might think. Safe some money and get a TLR-7.

Honestly, if you can handle the size, the TLR-1 is still my choice in a Streamlight. It's a heckofa light.

My carry gun has an Olight PL-Mini on it. I REALLY like that. Tiny enough to get a holster that will accomodate the light and it not be obscene, and I love the Olight charging system. When it's not on me, it's in my quick access safe; connected... if I need the gun 'in a hurry'... it just comes off when I pull out the gun. And it just kinda snaps back into place afterwards.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 10:27:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I didn’t even think about how the offset would impact aiming.

It’s hard for me to decide if a laser works a lot better in my head then in practical use.  

I’ve been looking at the high output green laser model TLR-2 HL G ... 1000 lumen light.  At about $330, it’s not prohibitive to try.  I don’t think it’ll hurt having the laser there but I’d have to find a lot of value in it and really test with it before I go putting it on the rest of my guns.  That’s the one thing I’m kinda of a stickler about.  I like everything to have the same stuff and be setup largely the same way so there’s almost total consistency across my equipment.  I think I can get away with one laser version however and TLR-2 HLs on the rest of it doesn’t seem applicable
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 4:21:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Lasers are good functional accessories for handguns for shooting at extreme close range where you are less likely to use your sights, or under NODs with an IR laser.  If you have time to take an aimed shot, you need to be using your sights.  Laser offset is going to be irrelevant for extreme CQB use, because you’re likely making a near-contact shot on a torso.  If you want a laser for the heck of it, then so be it, but they’re not much more than a range novelty beyond the aforementioned reasons.  Just bear that in mind as food for thought.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 4:49:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I've never had a use for a pistol mounted laser. I've owned several that were either gifts or came in trades. Outside of just playing with them they never were used for anything. Nothing better for fucking with your dog though.

Only situation I can think of where one would be useful for me is with NV. Alas I have no wizard eyes though.

I'm a x300U-B guy. They just work. I will pick up a TLR-7A at some point to try on a G19 but I'm in no hurry for the simple fact I have to fool with new holsters.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 8:11:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I’m thinking the laser is just “one more thing.”   Another button to push and get proficient with ... another deviation from normal admin.  I already have some of that with some guns having RMRs which took a lot of time and effort to get up to speed with.  

I don’t know, I guess I’ll just make a game-time decision.
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 8:27:38 AM EDT
[#9]
For me I settled on x300u’s; but that’s personal preference.  I used my tlr7 primarily for carry in the summer on a g19.  With that combo it’s a smaller package to have to conceal.  In winter I go up to a g19 or 17 with the x300u because with winter in the Midwest it’s cold and you layer up so it’s easier to hide the bigger pistol/light.  

Link Posted: 8/21/2020 11:53:45 AM EDT
[#10]
X300U is simply solid. However I really do love the TLR7-A high switches. To me they are perfect and I find them much more intuitive than the X300U's. If the streamlight's with this new switch design prove to be as reliable as say their TLR-1 line, I may look into the larger format ones that are comparable to the X300U.
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 1:06:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I pass on lasers. When I was in the Army they were great for NVGs. They don't serve a purpose for civilian CCW IMO.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 2:07:12 PM EDT
[#12]
If you are comfortable with the TLR-1, I don't see much reason to try something else. The newer versions designated TLR-1 HL are still one of the best options available. It's one of the easiest to find holsters for too.

Lasers are a good dryfire training aid, and fantastic for feral cats.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 3:40:59 PM EDT
[#13]
The TLR-1HL is a solid light and probably best bang for the buck.

With that said, I like the switch on the SF X300 better, which is why the SF rides on my duty pistol.

BUT, I do have a TLR-1HL backup that rides in my work bag just in case. Its also issued to all the new guys coming through the academy for my agency, and was just recently issued to the agents who transitioned from our old issued duty pistol to the new one.

If money is a deciding factor, its hard to beat the TLR-1HL, and if it was mandated by my agency, I wouldn't be upset.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 8:21:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Not a fan of lasers for defensive weapons.
My opinion is that they slow most people down on making their shot.
They're too worried about getting that little dot of light right where they want it on the target when they need to be pulling the trigger.
For a range toy they are fun as hell though.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 12:12:10 PM EDT
[#15]
My wife has a TLR-6 light/laser combo on her G42, and she definitely relies on the laser too much. I personally see no need for a laser on a pistol with useable irons or a red dot, and even on a rifle the only time a laser is worth anything is for shooting with NV, in which case I'd say it's almost essential.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top