Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2020 8:57:57 AM EDT
Revolver cylinders need to be fluted, every time I see an unfluted one it just doesnt look right.

Anyone else feel this way ?
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 9:02:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I agree. But the high powered stuff needs more meat.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 9:18:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Couldn't disagree more...

Link Posted: 3/27/2020 9:19:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I always think man, the CNC missed a few lines...

They do look very generic and plain.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 9:24:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/r43YxsN.jpg
View Quote

Grip details?
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 9:25:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 9:30:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Grip details?
View Quote

They're made by Ahrends Grips... unfortunately, he just announced that he's closing shop/not taking new orders but you may be able to find some on Ebay. I believe mine are the oil rubbed moradillo.  Here's another pic...

Link Posted: 3/27/2020 9:40:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I know what I like

Attachment Attached File

I really like the machining on the little Ruger LCR cylinder

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 9:44:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I think it adds a unique look. My next revolver will be something like 3" unfluted in 327 or 9mm (if it exists)
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 9:46:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I'll take them either way but no fucking Hilary hole.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 9:51:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Personal preference: I like them on single-action revolvers, but no so much on modern DA revolvers.  To each his own.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 9:56:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 6:33:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I agree OP.  Unfluted just looks incomplete.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 6:35:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm of the opposite opinion.

I dislike fluted.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 6:48:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I understand the reason they probably should be fluted but unfluted has always looked better to me.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 6:50:07 PM EDT
[#15]

GET BOTH

Link Posted: 3/27/2020 7:13:14 PM EDT
[#17]

Whatever trips your trigger OP.

Link Posted: 3/27/2020 7:37:47 PM EDT
[#18]
I understand the reason but aesthetically they don’t do it for me.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 10:58:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Blondes, brunettes, redheads...I like them all.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 11:21:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Personal preference: I like them on single-action revolvers, but no so much on modern DA revolvers.  To each his own.
View Quote

I came to post this. Doesn't the extra weight also cause the timing to wear faster?
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 11:33:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/r43YxsN.jpg
View Quote

Which model is that? 3"?
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 11:49:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Which model is that? 3"?
View Quote

That's my 3" 686+...I believe it's S&W"s "3-5-7" model/series... with a bunch of custom mods
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 12:37:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I came to post this. Doesn't the extra weight also cause the timing to wear faster?
View Quote

That's what I've been told by several competition shooters. Quicker to wear out. Know one that swore to never run another one. It takes more force to turn it the same speed. That's one of the reasons the dedicated competition guns sometimes have titanium cylinders although I imagine you're just making another longevity compromise at that point. One of the early Miculek guns had a titanium cylinder and big honking orange front sight. The pull was so light and easy even without heavy action work.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 4:18:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Thanks,  I thought I remembered something like that. Titanium cylinder huh? Damn, I bet that action was light!

Quoted:

That's what I've been told by several competition shooters. Quicker to wear out. Know one that swore to never run another one. It takes more force to turn it the same speed. That's one of the reasons the dedicated competition guns sometimes have titanium cylinders although I imagine you're just making another longevity compromise at that point. One of the early Miculek guns had a titanium cylinder and big honking orange front sight. The pull was so light and easy even without heavy action work.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/28/2020 5:11:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Thanks,  I thought I remembered something like that. Titanium cylinder huh? Damn, I bet that action was light!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They put titanium cylinders in a lot of their guns but most of them are the lightweights. A steel frame and barrel with a titanium cylinder was spiffy.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 5:37:09 AM EDT
[#26]
I don't care for them from a purely mechanical standpoint. If the steel isn't needed, a lighter cylinder is better. Less trigger pull, less damage over time to the cylinder stop, etc.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 8:20:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm thinking that might be more of an issue on competition (or abused) guns?  I've seen fluted cylinders with peened cylinder notches as well which leads me to believe that it has more to do with shooting style than a slight difference in weight? I practice a smooth double action pull without jerking the trigger and see no signs of peening/wear on the notches, cylinder stop, hand or extractor ratchet.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 10:36:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Some guns don't look right with the flutes. There are a few examples here that look amazing without the flutes. Then there is the other side of the spectrum, such as the Ruger LCR. They took weight reduction to a whole different level and I like what they did. It's nice to have choices.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 5:21:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'm thinking that might be more of an issue on competition (or abused) guns?  I've seen fluted cylinders with peened cylinder notches as well which leads me to believe that it has more to do with shooting style than a slight difference in weight? I practice a smooth double action pull without jerking the trigger and see no signs of peening/wear on the notches, cylinder stop, hand or extractor ratchet.
View Quote

Competition guys can wear out anything. The kid I knew basically wore out two Smiths. It wouldn't have mattered what they were made of. He did however wear out the non fluted gun sooner and while I don't think it was the only factor it was a factor.

At the rate I shoot now which is almost none or even when I was shooting a lot my revolver shooting made up such a small part that they will last forever.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 1:22:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Revolver cylinders need to be fluted, every time I see an unfluted one it just doesnt look right.

Anyone else feel this way ?
View Quote

Yes. Another way for Ruger to make their already-too-heavy revolvers even heavier. But obviously it helps sales because there are many out there who see an unfluted cylinder and immediately think they're getting a stouter revolver.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 11:39:43 AM EDT
[#31]

Are those yours? and if they are, why do you hate your wrists so?
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 7:52:15 PM EDT
[#32]
No. I love the unfluted cylinder look. Unfortunately, they never made them on any revolvers that I like i.e. Colt Python, S&W model 657, or SW 386PD.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 7:54:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I understand the reason they probably should be fluted but unfluted has always looked better to me.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/129950/56F4AD88-14BA-47F5-8288-C7D04610E704_jpe-1336963.JPG
View Quote

I agree. They look super cool! They just don't make them in the revolvers that I like.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 5:34:57 AM EDT
[#34]
I like them both.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 4:27:28 PM EDT
[#35]
It won't stop a purchase of mine with or without, but I think unfluted looks cleaner.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 5:39:29 PM EDT
[#36]
I do like the J frame 360 without flutes, so I guess im not 100% against it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 12:25:45 AM EDT
[#37]
I am complete opposite. If i could have unfluted cylinders on every revolver, I would. I love it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 6:16:32 AM EDT
[#38]
I passed on a 686 pre lock years ago with an unfluted cylinder and still regret it. Every time I see a pic of an S&W without flutes, I think about that gun. One of these days..
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 7:36:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Sexy. Very sexy.

S&W 627-0

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 8:11:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By INV136:
No. I love the unfluted cylinder look. Unfortunately, they never made them on any revolvers that I like i.e. Colt Python, S&W model 657, or SW 386PD.
View Quote

Smith's first run of the 657 Classic Hunter with a 6.5" bbl had a nonfluted cylinder.  Circumstances at the time, I let mine go

Historically Colt started his revolvers without fluted cylinders.  

CD
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 10:51:54 AM EDT
[#41]
I like the way unfluted looks on single action revolvers, but like fluted better on double actions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top