Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2022 5:15:03 PM EDT
When, if ever, will Underwood start using Federal HST slugs? They use Speer Gold Dot, Hornady XTP, etc. I would love to see them use the HST!
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 5:33:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Factory new Speer Gold Dot bullets are sold as reloading components.  Factory new Hornady XTP bullets are sold as reloading components. Factory new HST bullets have never been sold as reloading components and Federal has stated that they have no plans to do so.  That's probably a pretty good indicator that Underwood won't be getting their hands on factory new HST bullets any time in the near future.

Link Posted: 5/19/2022 3:21:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess they could use pulled bullets but why. I believe Federal has the bullet matched to the perfect velocity and reliability has been excellent.

Underwoods, Double Tap, etc. offers extra velocity and uses some "exotic bullets" for extra penetration. I would argue that Gold Dot and especially XTP could benefit from extra velocity for certain uses but the HST, being about "perfect" loaded by Federal, would gain little. In my opinion. An extra 100 FPS on the HST bullet would probably cause jacket separation and or under penetration.

Link Posted: 5/19/2022 6:56:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I guess they could use pulled bullets but why. I believe Federal has the bullet matched to the perfect velocity and reliability has been excellent.

Underwoods, Double Tap, etc. offers extra velocity and uses some "exotic bullets" for extra penetration. I would argue that Gold Dot and especially XTP could benefit from extra velocity for certain uses but the HST, being about "perfect" loaded by Federal, would gain little. In my opinion. An extra 100 FPS on the HST bullet would probably cause jacket separation and or under penetration.

View Quote

No problem with a 147@1275
147gr HST from a .357 magnum

I'll eventually test them from a carbine and I expect close to 1800fps. I would definitely be surprised if it stays together.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:23:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUS_VHoSrBY

I'll eventually test them from a carbine and I expect close to 1800fps. I would definitely be surprised if it stays together.
View Quote

Interesting. If it stays together in water it should be fine in jell. HST is an excellent bullet, best HD/SD load in 9mm in my opinion.

But why? What does the HST offer over an XTP or Gold Dot at 1275? Asking sincerely with zero sarcasm or criticism. All of the 147gr HST that I ever fired (at 1000fps) into water looked exactly like yours at 1275. Do you get more/less penetration? Better for hunting?
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 12:00:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Interesting. If it stays together in water it should be fine in jell. HST is an excellent bullet, best HD/SD load in 9mm in my opinion.

But why? What does the HST offer over an XTP or Gold Dot at 1275? Asking sincerely with zero sarcasm or criticism. All of the 147gr HST that I ever fired (at 1000fps) into water looked exactly like yours at 1275. Do you get more/less penetration? Better for hunting?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUS_VHoSrBY

I only started experimenting with the hsts due to the .10cpr for pulls. My current carry load for my .357s are still 158xtps @1200fps. The 22" in water is the equivalent of 15" in gel.

I can't speak specifically for the hst load but the difference on animals with 158gr swc @900fps vs 1200fps is pretty significant.

Instead of just breaking bones, they're shattered. Instead of just holes through organs they are big enough for a couple fingers due to ripping/splitting.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:21:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I only started experimenting with the hsts due to the .10cpr for pulls. My current carry load for my .357s are still 158xtps @1200fps. The 22" in water is the equivalent of 15" in gel.

I can't speak specifically for the hst load but the difference on animals with 158gr swc @900fps vs 1200fps is pretty significant.

Instead of just breaking bones, they're shattered. Instead of just holes through organs they are big enough for a couple fingers due to ripping/splitting.
View Quote

I believe it.

One of my carry guns is a Glock 33 loaded with 125gr HST. Not sure if it makes 1200 in that 3.5" but feels stout.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top