Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Posted: 3/28/2019 10:52:47 AM EDT
Was thinking of using this ammo for my delta elite ?

Wanted to check if anyone has had issues with this ammo in the delta elite?

I know the gold dots are not very rounded but not sure that would matter in a 10mm, like it would with a .45?
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:13:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I think I saw a review of someone using Gold Dots in a DE seemed to work fine.

If I run across it I'll post a link.

Planning on using this load in mine when I pick one up this summer.

We currently have a Colt DE race gun in the family but it's got a custom barrel
so might not be a good comparison.

Should ttry some in it anyhow....
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 2:53:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pulpsmack] [#2]
90% of what's gone out of the bore of my DE (2010s Classic model, not the railed 2.0) has been handloads. I have carried Buffalo Bore and fired a small amount without incident.

I say all that to say I never stayed up with much over the years... however, I looked things up recently and what I have read was that Underwood seems to be "over-pressured" (out of SAAMI spec envelope?).

The point is this comes with a caveat about firing over-pressured rounds out of a pistol that has an unsupported chamber (which is the case for all Deltas AFAIK). Given the option of last resort, I would willingly stake my hand and/or eye to fire a mag of double-charged rounds into harm's way... if it meant saving my ass, but I wouldn't be a recreational shooter of anything outside of SAAMI spec without first fitting it with a barrel hosting a fully-supported chamber.

My thoughts are grab a box, see if it feeds, and carefully fire a few slowly, inspecting the brass for anything iffy. Otherwise, grab said barrel and shoot hot Norma to your heart's content.

EDIT (since I hate blind hearsay repetition)

2 Kaboom stories and a poster claiming it far-exceeds SAAMI. Not the post(s) I recall coming across but feel free to look more extensively and consider the sources for yourself. It should be easy enough to get official word from them about their stance (if any) about firing their 10mm through a firearm without a fully-supported chamber.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=414533&page=1

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/01/jeremy-s/rip-glock-20-kaboom/

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/underwood-10mm-within-saami.1592030/
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 4:56:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By pulpsmack:
90% of what's gone out of the bore of my DE (2010s Classic model, not the railed 2.0) has been handloads. I have carried Buffalo Bore and fired a small amount without incident.

I say all that to say I never stayed up with much over the years... however, I looked things up recently and what I have read was that Underwood seems to be "over-pressured" (out of SAAMI spec envelope?).

The point is this comes with a caveat about firing over-pressured rounds out of a pistol that has an unsupported chamber (which is the case for all Deltas AFAIK). Given the option of last resort, I would willingly stake my hand and/or eye to fire a mag of double-charged rounds into harm's way... if it meant saving my ass, but I wouldn't be a recreational shooter of anything outside of SAAMI spec without first fitting it with a barrel hosting a fully-supported chamber.

My thoughts are grab a box, see if it feeds, and carefully fire a few slowly, inspecting the brass for anything iffy. Otherwise, grab said barrel and shoot hot Norma to your heart's content.

2 Kaboom stories and a poster claiming it far-exceeds SAAMI. Not the post(s) I recall coming across but feel free to look more extensively and consider the sources for yourself. It should be easy enough to get official word from them about their stance (if any) about firing their 10mm through a firearm without a fully-supported chamber.

View Quote

Wow thanks still haven’t tried it need to do more research I wasn’t aware they may exceed saami

I thought the new DE had better chamber support ?
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 9:05:58 AM EDT
[#4]
New production Underwood ammo IS SAFE in the new production Delta Elite.

I called Underwood to confirm. They said they are using different propellants now that DO NOT EXCEED SAAMI spec.

I've shot 6-7 boxes of the 200gr Hard Cast going a touch over 1200fps in my DE and been reloading the brass since with no I'll effects.

On a unrelated note I feel obligated to say that my new production DE has been the most reliable 10mm 1911 I've owned out of an example of 3 different manufacturers. It's extremely accurate and has been reliable using the Colt and WC mags I own, and using all different types of bullets from 155 JHP to my 200gr RCBS SWC bullets I cast.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 9:00:57 PM EDT
[#5]
How the fuck are you getting Underwood 10mm Gold Dot?
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 2:28:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By campower:
New production Underwood ammo IS SAFE in the new production Delta Elite.

I called Underwood to confirm. They said they are using different propellants now that DO NOT EXCEED SAAMI spec.

I've shot 6-7 boxes of the 200gr Hard Cast going a touch over 1200fps in my DE and been reloading the brass since with no I'll effects.

On a unrelated note I feel obligated to say that my new production DE has been the most reliable 10mm 1911 I've owned out of an example of 3 different manufacturers. It's extremely accurate and has been reliable using the Colt and WC mags I own, and using all different types of bullets from 155 JHP to my 200gr RCBS SWC bullets I cast.
View Quote

I came here to post this. I also called Underwood and I was told the same thing about the powder they use on their 10mm.

Underwood used to offer a DE load. Every other 10mm load had a sticker on the box advising not to use in a DE. These stickers are no longer being placed on their 10mm offerings and gone is the “DE load”.

I have a rail DE and mine has been so reliable that the gun had no malfunctions even with a weak extractor tension that came from factory. I fixed the tension after testing it after my first range trip. I should have tested it before...
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 8:22:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: campower] [#7]
Originally Posted By Den40:

I came here to post this. I also called Underwood and I was told the same thing about the powder they use on their 10mm.

Underwood used to offer a DE load. Every other 10mm load had a sticker on the box advising not to use in a DE. These stickers are no longer being placed on their 10mm offerings and gone is the “DE load”.

I have a rail DE and mine has been so reliable that the gun had no malfunctions even with a weak extractor tension that came from factory. I fixed the tension after testing it after my first range trip. I should have tested it before...
View Quote

I'm glad to hear other positive DE feedback. I've been called all kind of foolish when talking about how reliable this damn DE has been for me.

I almost didnt pick one up because of all the reports of issues out of the box and lack of chamber support. I'm not saying those things are false or overrated, and only picked this one up because it was a smoking deal at the time and the pistol is so damn sexy.

Every other 10mm 1911 I've owned was so picky about magazines, bullet profile, and velocity it almost soured me towards them.

So far with this Delta Elite for factory ammo is has functioned 100% with Underwood 200gr HC, Underwood 180gr, Federal 180gr AE, Federal 200gr HST and Federal 180gr Trophy Bonded.

For handloads I've used 180gr XTP, 155gr Barnes HP, 175gr Winchester HP, and for my PC Cast bullets 200gr SWC, 175gr RFN, 180gr RFN and 200gr RFN.

Also I've used Colt mags, Wilson mags, a Kimber mags and the other generic Midway USA 10mm 1911 mags (mecgar??)

I also handload all my brass using a Redding Carbide GRX size and carbide dies. I dont know exactly how many reloads but the brass is still looking good and functional.

The pistol is 100% out of box factory. Didnt even need to "tune" the extractor.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 1:40:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By campower:

The pistol is 100% out of box factory. Didnt even need to "tune" the extractor.
View Quote

You were luckier. My extractor failed the test miserably. Yet the gun extracted everything.

I only shot Underwood Xtreme penetrator/defender, Armscor FMJ, Sig V-Crown HP, and .40 FMJ.

Even the .40’s were reliable.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 9:07:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By pulpsmack:

View Quote

In the TAG/Jeremy's G20 Kaboom article, the cause of the UW 10mm Kaboom was traced to an undersized Lehigh bullet, not a 'double-charge' of powder by UW.  

When the cartridge cycled into the chamber, the Lehigh projectile was jammed down into the case which then created the pressure spike, and the ensuing Kaboom!  The barrel in Jeremy's G20 at the time was a LWD 6" tube with a fully-supported chamber.

Jeremy also states that Lehigh paid for replacement of his Glock.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 11:06:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I would give Colt a ring and listen to what they have to say.

My experience has been they are full of poop when it come to thier barrels and chamber support.

The 45ACP 1911's 5 inch barrels have gone through at least 3 changes to the throats.

The Deltas have had multiple changes also.

Colt never admited unsafe case head support in any of thier barrels.

I will say with my Delta 2020XE the throat is much more tighter than earlier Deltas, however shooting full Norma loads I get the case smile.

While safe once, reloading multiple times enhances a rupture possiblity.

Stick to factory non boutique loads and you'll be fine.

Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top