Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2021 9:14:39 PM EDT
Picked up a Glock model 40 in 10mm this week. Wow, soft shooting even with the hot rounds I put through it.

This is my first Glock with MOS and I’d like to throw an optic on it for deer and coyote. I tried doing some research but honestly super confused about what I need to avoid the trial and error.

Pistol came with a package of bases, I’m looking for something with a small MOA dot that will allow me to easily shoot out to 50-75 yards. I also want something that will mount up with the included bases I already have and doesn’t require any filing to fit. I’m not worried about cowitnessing my irons as this will not be a self defense pistol.

What are my options in the $300 price range?
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:20:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Holosun 507C X2. I prefer the green reticle.

On my 10mm:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:21:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Watch this and a few more Sage videos. It helped me spend a little more for an RMR.

Choosing a Handgun Optic Dot Size

Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:23:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Watch this and a few more Sage videos. It helped me spend a little more for an RMR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBE8h1vDitI
View Quote

Heh, I sold my RMR to buy the Holosun.

Tiny window, badly tinted glass. It is durable though.

I've heard zero issues with Holosun reliability. Bigger window. No tint or distortion through lens. Battery life is several years. Has solar. No need to remove and re zero to swap batteries. Doesn't need a separate sealing plate.

The RMR is durable, but literally overrated in every other aspect.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:26:25 PM EDT
[#4]
The downside to the MOS is the terrible plates that come with it. After you decide which optic you want head over to
CHPWS to get the mounting plate you need.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:30:09 PM EDT
[#5]
What makes the factory plates terrible? Again I’m completely new to this
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:44:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Some good advice so far. MOS plates are cheap garbage. A CHP plate locks the optic in much better, fills the gaps.

Holosuns are solid, I have one on my shotgun. After trying em on my Glocks for a few months, I went back to RMR's for many reasons. RMR is still king in my book. Regardless, Holosuns are GTG. I have the 508T- V2 Green.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:49:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

They do not handle recoil well. Short screws, small studs, etc.

With that said I have 12K rounds down range with my 34MOS, but is is soft 9mm loads for competition.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 10:25:56 PM EDT
[#8]
MOS cut could have been deeper, but screws have adequate (no more, no less) thread engagement, these are not the problem.  Attempts to treat the symptoms by using stronger screws haven't fared well, because they don't fix the real issue, which is the sight moving on the plate in recoil.  

OPF-G, RMR uses the same spec screws, but OPF-G, RMR design holds the sight immobile between the two recoil lugs and the plate's front recoil fence/lug, the screws have but only one job to do, that is to hold the sight down, they're no longer subject to the beating sustained on OEM plates.  If the sight is allowed to reciprocate in recoil, sight to plate screws handle load and get beat up on, they're not designed to handle either, this no screws strong enough, or long enough can fix.

Same screws, different plate designs, while OEM plate loosens and shears screws, ours doesn't.  The sight to plate screws are not part of the solution.  Fix the sight moving on the plate in recoil, you fix everything else.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 10:33:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm very new to the MOS system, just bought my first over the weekend and have yet to decide on either RMR or SRO, more than likely RMR.

One of the Sage Dynamics videos he shows pictures of the MIM factory plates warped on the gun with optics installed, no thanks.

I had originally planned on a CWHPS plate due to limited knowledge but seeing a thread on another forum I decided against it. (no personal experience)

Couple friends recommended Forward Controls. Read about them on here and chatted with the owner in both IM and in the better MOS plate thread I decided to give it a shot. My primitive understanding is instead of the screws holding the optic the FC plate sandwiches.
Less than 5 minutes after ordering at 9p Eastern, I already had shipping notification.

Look forward to seeing how it interfaces with the MOS upper and my yet to be purchased sight but judging by my friends, CW, and other people in the thread, I won't be disappointed.

https://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.com/OPF-G-RMR_p_224.html
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 10:33:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
but screws have adequate (no more, no less) thread engagement, these are not the problem..
View Quote

Right, I was referring to the optic screws. There seems to be a huge learning curve on those. A friends 34MOS lost an optic at a GSSF match saturday. I have seen that happen a few times. Never saw the plate fly off though, so yeah, those seem to be deep enough.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 10:41:32 PM EDT
[#11]
The circle dot makes it easier to pick up the center dot if you are a noob like me.

I forgot to order the circle, I just got a dot, so it isn't as fast as irons for me yet.

Thanks for the plate info.  I will try to break my factory setup at some point when I get some time.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 10:43:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes sir, I know you were referring to the sight to plate screws  To my knowledge, plates haven't flown off to hit users in the head, only the sights with more mass and higher center of gravity have detached from the plates when the sight to plate screws loosen and/or shear from the beating they take, when the sight reciprocates on the plate in recoil.

Glock is by no means perfect, it's done so many things well, but there are some it can do better, in so far as the MOS is concerned, it's a good system that is inexpensive and provides the flexibility for individual users and agencies to choose their favorite/authorized optics, and the ability to upgrade to newer versions, or change over to an entirely different sights and altogether.  Plate to slide can use better tolerances, sight to plate screws have just enough thread engagement to do its job.  The failing has to do with the unsupported manner in which the sight is seating on the plate.

Quoted:

Right, I was referring to the optic screws. There seems to be a huge learning curve on those. A friends 34MOS lost an optic at a GSSF match saturday. I have seen that happen a few times. Never saw the plate fly off though, so yeah, those seem to be deep enough.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/3/2021 11:11:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I’m very old to Glock but brand new to MOS so please excuse my ignorance if this has been answered above ...

I have a RMR06 Type 2 and Trijicon Install Kit (sealing plate and two “correct length” screws) getting delivered to me tomorrow.  They’re going on a G17 Gen 5.

Does the Trijicon screws not remedy the issue with the RMR coming off the Glock OEM plate?  I plan on using blue loktite.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 11:54:30 PM EDT
[#14]
They do not.

The issue is RMR has 2 recoil lugs, alone, they're not enough to keep the sight from reciprocating in recoil. RMRcc addressed this by using threaded bosses with much larger diameter than the recoil lugs on the RMR.  Leupold's DPP has four recoil lugs.

The lugs have to be smaller than the lug holes on the bottom of the RMR, otherwise you can't get the lugs to go in.  Lugs have tolerances, lug holes have them too, invariably you can move the sight back and forth along the bore when the sight is seated (not screwed in at this point) on the plate.  When the sight is screwed in, the sight to plate screws aren't enough to hold the sight immobile, the sight in turn moves and impacts the screws and causes them to loosen and eventually shear.

Keeping the sight immobile and from reciprocating in recoil is the most effective fix.  This ill has several causes.  RMR wasn't created to be a pistol mounted sight.  It does just fine on rifles and shotguns, but mounting it on a pistol is a new set of dynamics.  Milled slides have done very well in this regard precisely because a milled slight is tight fitting thus doesn't allow sight movement.  OPF-G, RMR achieves the same but remains modular and retains the flexibility of the MOS.

We don't consider longer or stronger screws to be a part of the solution.  Past minimum thread engagement determined by the threads, diameter and length of the screws, more of it is simply irrelevant.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 12:24:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Thank you.  I understand the issue in general structural dynamic terms. The fastener shear plane location combined with the optic lateral load negates any benefit of longer screws.  Larger diameter fasteners or increased number of fasteners would likely impart greater shear resistance but not an option as the optic is a retrofit to handguns ILO a stand alone (dedicated) handgun design.

Delete the dynamic lateral load (maintain the optic in stasis relative / about the fasteners) and greatly reduce (or eliminate) the shear plane.

I’ll be ordering one of your plates tonight or in the morning.  I was excited to take the MOS / RMR out to the range this weekend but patience is a virtue.

This project is getting expensive.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 1:09:50 AM EDT
[#16]
I’ve had two 9mm Glocks running with RMRs for a couple years.  

Maybe 2 thousand rounds per gun.

Both are milled uppers (Jagerwerks G34 and Agency AOS G17)

If I bought a MOS it would get a plate from Forward Controls for sure.

I’m in the process of doing a G19 for off duty and I’m going with Agency AOS cut again.... bullet proof design in my opinion

I ordered a Holosun 507C with the new Vulcan reticle

A couple of people I trust in the industry have signed off on the 507 after tens of thousands of rounds

I figured I’d try one out and the footprint is the same as the RMR.

Here’s my G17

Attachment Attached File

And my G34 running some Defoor hat quals.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 10:56:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the info and pics MONGO.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 10:58:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
They do not.

The issue is RMR has 2 recoil lugs, alone, they're not enough to keep the sight from reciprocating in recoil. RMRcc addressed this by using threaded bosses with much larger diameter than the recoil lugs on the RMR.  Leupold's DPP has four recoil lugs.

The lugs have to be smaller than the lug holes on the bottom of the RMR, otherwise you can't get the lugs to go in.  Lugs have tolerances, lug holes have them too, invariably you can move the sight back and forth along the bore when the sight is seated (not screwed in at this point) on the plate.  When the sight is screwed in, the sight to plate screws aren't enough to hold the sight immobile, the sight in turn moves and impacts the screws and causes them to loosen and eventually shear.

Keeping the sight immobile and from reciprocating in recoil is the most effective fix.  This ill has several causes.  RMR wasn't created to be a pistol mounted sight.  It does just fine on rifles and shotguns, but mounting it on a pistol is a new set of dynamics.  Milled slides have done very well in this regard precisely because a milled slight is tight fitting thus doesn't allow sight movement.  OPF-G, RMR achieves the same but remains modular and retains the flexibility of the MOS.

We don't consider longer or stronger screws to be a part of the solution.  Past minimum thread engagement determined by the threads, diameter and length of the screws, more of it is simply irrelevant.
View Quote

I just ordered two of your plates and two sets of spare fasteners.  I figured I'd get an extra as I anticipate setting up a G19 Gen 5 MOS with a RMR06 Type 2 for EDC use in addition to the G17.5MOS/RMR06.

Can't wait to get them as my RMR is out for delivery today.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 11:02:43 AM EDT
[#19]
WOW

I had a tracking number within four minutes of placing my order!

HUGE +1 for Forward Controls.  

In an era where shipping within TWO WEEKS of the order is "acceptable" Forward Controls ships within MINUTES.

Link Posted: 3/4/2021 11:03:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 11:17:33 AM EDT
[#21]
OP I am an MOS noob as well but have done a fair bit of research. What I'd recommend for your setup is a Holosun 407C X2 (2 MOA dot, plenty fine for deer at the ranges you listed and no need to pay more for the 507C with the multi-reticle system) AND an aftermarket plate. I bought one from Duffy in this thread, but C&H PWS is the other popular one. For my 19 MOS I ordered a Holosun 507C X2 with the new ACSS reticle, but having to wait another month plus on backorder killed me, I broke and bought an RMR that will be here this week. I'm 50/50 on my decision vs the Holosun.

I definitely think it is worth it to upgrade the MOS plate for a nice rig like you're setting up. Enjoy and good luck in the deer stand.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 11:32:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'm very new to the MOS system, just bought my first over the weekend and have yet to decide on either RMR or SRO, more than likely RMR.

One of the Sage Dynamics videos he shows pictures of the MIM factory plates warped on the gun with optics installed, no thanks.

I had originally planned on a CWHPS plate due to limited knowledge but seeing a thread on another forum I decided against it. (no personal experience)

Couple friends recommended Forward Controls. Read about them on here and chatted with the owner in both IM and in the better MOS plate thread I decided to give it a shot. My primitive understanding is instead of the screws holding the optic the FC plate sandwiches.
Less than 5 minutes after ordering at 9p Eastern, I already had shipping notification.

Look forward to seeing how it interfaces with the MOS upper and my yet to be purchased sight but judging by my friends, CW, and other people in the thread, I won't be disappointed.

https://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.com/OPF-G-RMR_p_224.html
View Quote

FCD is going to be the best option.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 1:20:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

FCD is going to be the best option.
View Quote

This by far.  10000000000000+  
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 2:00:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Heh, I sold my RMR to buy the Holosun.

Tiny window, badly tinted glass. It is durable though.

I've heard zero issues with Holosun reliability. Bigger window. No tint or distortion through lens. Battery life is several years. Has solar. No need to remove and re zero to swap batteries. Doesn't need a separate sealing plate.

The RMR is durable, but literally overrated in every other aspect.
View Quote

Agreed. I had the RMR and Holosun. Kept the holosun and sold the RMR for the same reasons above.

If Holosun made a SRO competitor, and was still $200 cheaper. I’d sell the SRO as well.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 2:26:01 PM EDT
[#25]
I would pay money so fast for a Forward Control Designs Glock 43X/48 MOS adaptor for a 507K...

CHPWS leaves a lot to be desired..
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 4:34:35 PM EDT
[#26]
As disclosed in other threads, FCD will only develop plates for Aimpoint, Leupold and Trijicon.  Sorry guys.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 3:45:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
As disclosed in other threads, FCD will only develop plates for Aimpoint, Leupold and Trijicon.  Sorry guys.
View Quote

Too bad that no one of these companies does offer a sight that works well with a Glock 48/43x MOS...
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 5:53:10 PM EDT
[#28]
OP, since you’re using it for hunting, Primary Arms has a Holosun 507c version that has a chevron so you have 3 aiming points for drop. May want to look at that before purchasing another optic.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 6:28:44 PM EDT
[#29]
RMRcc can work well, it'd just sit taller on the slide than the Shield sight that can directly mount to it
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 9:32:36 PM EDT
[#30]
My Forward Controls Design plates arrived on Saturday.  That was INCREDIBLY quick service and delivery.  They were perfect fits for both the slide and my new RMR.

I can’t wait to take it out to the range!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top