Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/5/2018 1:07:44 PM EDT
I EDC a shield 9mm, M&P 2.0c 9mm or a Baer 1911 45 because I live a low threat lifestyle and don't go out looking for trouble. However, I like the idea of having a full size fighting handgun as an option for big storms, HD, etc. I prefer the 1911 platform but I'm not going to spend $2k+ on a 2011 right now. While the guns I have are good, I wanted something with higher capacity and a full size and got an M&P 2.0 5" the other day in trade. What I'm looking for are suggestions on any items that really help add to the capacity of the pistol to be used in this kind of role. I already have my rifle squared away, or at least as much as I can until the can gets here...

Here's what I'm thinking it needs. Please correct/help my thinking.

Sights: It has combo FO/Night sights that seem to be a good mix of day and night usefulness

Shootability: needs to be easy to shoot well. This has a full Apex and 2.0 guts so the trigger is pretty decent

Capacity: already takes 17 round mags. I'll get a few +5 extensions to help. More ammo is more better

Light: I figure it needs one. Will start shopping for a TLR HL since I prefer the brand.

Holster: Kydex OWB once the light is decided on

Magwell: undecided. Always ran with one in competition but not sure if it was a real or perceived advantage. mostly shooting single stacks these days so the polymer already looks massive

red dot: not sold if this is a requirement or not? expensive to try and adds to complexity. unsure

Threaded barrel: unsure. I'll have a can that works on it but IDK if it's worth doing or not. not cheap either.

other stuff: thinking about a heavy guide rod, it was something I know we did competition shooting to keep the muzzle down a bit.

ammo: finding a good HP load that runs in it and go with that.

then add ammo and training with it. Obviously a lot of that. what else am I missing and what should I add?
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 1:13:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Sights you like, light, good holster, good belt, and red dot if you can afford it!
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 2:08:19 PM EDT
[#2]
You have all the gun you need with the Les Baer 1911 .45.   Seriously!  Everything else you mentioned is unnecessary, because my dear man, you forgot that the purpose of your pistol is to fight your way to your rifle.  Everything that is done to overload handguns with accessories or copious magazines is being added to a platform that never performs as well as the rifle, either carbine or battle rifle.

Keep your .45 well maintained, and chambered with one of the top 5 self-defense loads. And if it ever gets to the point that you are putting it on your hip, and grabbing a BOB, then it's bad enough you need your favorite rifle also.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 3:04:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You have all the gun you need with the Les Baer 1911 .45.   Seriously!  Everything else you mentioned is unnecessary, because my dear man, you forgot that the purpose of your pistol is to fight your way to your rifle.  Everything that is done to overload handguns with accessories or copious magazines is being added to a platform that never performs as well as the rifle, either carbine or battle rifle.

Keep your .45 well maintained, and chambered with one of the top 5 self-defense loads. And if it ever gets to the point that you are putting it on your hip, and grabbing a BOB, then it's bad enough you need your favorite rifle also.  
View Quote
damn, that is compelling. My thought was that I don't have a light on it, and no real way to mount one. After reading a few of those recent defense story threads I started thinking that more lights and more bullets may be a worthwhile thing to consider.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 5:28:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
Now back to the real world.  You find yourself in the middle of a mall and the lead starts flying.  You are not fighting your way to your rifle you are fighting your way to GTFO and get to your vehicle to exit the situation with your loved ones.

What OP is looking into is not unreasonable to move to a modern higher capacity sidearm with the ability to attach a light.  I commend him for wanting to upgrade his capacity and effectiveness.  Many times you will find yourself in the dark even in the day time.  Under passes, parking garages, houses, movie theaters, and list goes on.  The ability to have both hands on a weapon and have a light is invaluable and the ability to have one hands free to hold loved ones hand/carry child/drag a buddy, have a weapon with a light, and be able to still fire a weapon with light tops any wet dream fantasy you will be fighting your way to your rifle.  In the real world defensive shoots are to fast to fight back to your rifle and if you have any sense if a shoot out is occurring you will be leaving instead of going back in with a rifle so the cops can plug you because they think you are the bad guy or another CCW'er plugs you thinking you are the bad guy.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 5:42:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
Over thinking ur secondary weapon
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 5:44:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

damn, that is compelling. My thought was that I don't have a light on it, and no real way to mount one. After reading a few of those recent defense story threads I started thinking that more lights and more bullets may be a worthwhile thing to consider.
View Quote
We got along with out weapon lights a long time
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 6:25:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Why are you worrying about cost of a suppressor in the middle of zombie apocalypse?  Get the threaded barrel and keep a solvent trap in your cleaning kit.  When the dead start reanimating, poke some holes in it with a drill press.  Laws be damned.  Somebody's gotta kill the undead.
Big ole suppressor also helps shootability, too.  45acp kicks like a 22lr with a big ole can dangling off the front.

Ideally, my bugout handgun is a littly SMG-style "pistol".  Scorpion or AR or something.
If thats against the thread rules, biggest 45acp gun you can get, light, rmr, tall night sights, threaded, suppressor, extended mags.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 6:41:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Now back to the real world.  You find yourself in the middle of a mall and the lead starts flying.  You are not fighting your way to your rifle you are fighting your way to GTFO and get to your vehicle to exit the situation with your loved ones.

What OP is looking into is not unreasonable to move to a modern higher capacity sidearm with the ability to attach a light.  I commend him for wanting to upgrade his capacity and effectiveness.  Many times you will find yourself in the dark even in the day time.  Under passes, parking garages, houses, movie theaters, and list goes on.  The ability to have both hands on a weapon and have a light is invaluable and the ability to have one hands free to hold loved ones hand/carry child/drag a buddy, have a weapon with a light, and be able to still fire a weapon with light tops any wet dream fantasy you will be fighting your way to your rifle.  In the real world defensive shoots are to fast to fight back to your rifle and if you have any sense if a shoot out is occurring you will be leaving instead of going back in with a rifle so the cops can plug you because they think you are the bad guy or another CCW'er plugs you thinking you are the bad guy.
View Quote
This. This is reality.

Buuuut ain't it fun coming up with excuses to build another gun haha

Sounds like to OP needs a Roland special, I don't indulge in those, or AR's buried with accessories but the Rolands are neat just the same

I would have said a nice commander length 1911 with a light and and maybe a red dot. Second choice a compact M&P Roland special, maybe even the new shorter one, was it 3.75"?

But since the OP now has a 5" M&P, ( I have the same) it's gonna either look like a duty gun or a gamer gun.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 6:45:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
because my dear man, you forgot that the purpose of your pistol is to fight your way to your rifle.
View Quote
I hate this every time someone spews it out........ obviously a rifle would be nice we all know that.

If a pistol is what you have when a fight starts the only thing you should be fighting your way toward is winning.

I do agree with rocking on with the Baer.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 7:25:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quality holster, light, mag extensions and ammo are all in order. Personally, not a fan of rmr’s but that’s just me. I’d use that allocation for training. While I’m sure most of us don’t look for trouble and lead a low threat lifestyle, 9/10 it’s not up to us when a threat comes knocking.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 8:28:50 PM EDT
[#11]
This is not something I plan on concealing. I have stuff for that, per the OP. I even realized the error of my ways recently and added a few lights to the pistol equation. The idea here is a non-concealed, almost all bets are off pistol that can be brought to bare with good effect. I do anticipate having a rifle near by, but this could also be my HD pistol once it proves to be accurate and reliable.

I was doing some drills with it and I already think the size/sight radius will help in it's shootability.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 9:08:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Lots and lots of 10 round 1911 mags.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:44:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This is not something I plan on concealing. I have stuff for that, per the OP. I even realized the error of my ways recently and added a few lights to the pistol equation. The idea here is a non-concealed, almost all bets are off pistol that can be brought to bare with good effect. I do anticipate having a rifle near by, but this could also be my HD pistol once it proves to be accurate and reliable.

I was doing some drills with it and I already think the size/sight radius will help in it's shootability.
View Quote
Pretty much any modern full-size/compact double stack handgun will do.  Glock 17/19, M&P, Sig P22x/P320, CZ P-09/7/10, HK VP9, etc etc you get the point(I did not omit some I just got tired of listing all the good handguns).
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 4:38:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm legit surprised by the results of this. the answer is always Glock 19/9mm on this forum, and here I have a bunch of people telling me to stick with a single stack 45 1911. I am genuinely surprised.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 4:59:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm legit surprised by the results of this. the answer is always Glock 19/9mm on this forum, and here I have a bunch of people telling me to stick with a single stack 45 1911. I am genuinely surprised.
View Quote
The 1911 is fine if you know how to function it under stress and it will kill just as good as any other service caliber pistol.  Myself I want more boollits in my clipazine.  I want to know if it comes to it and I have to go hot and start poking holes in another human being I can make a lot of holes.  Unless you can make a CNS hit the game is a leaking game on how fast you can bleed the other guy out.  Realistically the chance I will get into a gunfight are astronomically low to begin with and the idea of fighting back to your rifle is not realistic in the real world because the fight will be over with by the time you arrive at your rifle, gear up, and start heading back in to get gun down by the cops arriving.  The Glock 19 is a good choice for a defensive carry pistol and all the pistols that are the same size like the new M&P compact and many others.  Their is a reason why so many carry that size pistol and it is because it is a good size, capacity, and concealability.  The 1911 has a lot of down sides low capacity, heavy, not all have accessory rail, manual safety, and they are more finicky than the polymer wonder pistols out now days.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:50:28 PM EDT
[#16]
just a comment.. I shot a .45 1911 single stack and Para for about 25 years in USPSA (estimated 250,000 rounds on 4 pistols)....during that time I broke:

2 finger bushings before going to a solid one
1 solid bushing
1 barrel split from chamber to 3/8" from the muzzle
2 slide stops
1 firing pin stop
1 extractor
4 fitted barrel links

after the last link (2005 Ft Benning 3 gun match) I switched to a Glock platform.... since then zero breakage

I'd suggest... stay with the polymer frame 9mm... a set of figure 8 tritium sight ( I find it hard to distinguish front from rear 3 dot sights  at night)
good weapon light, and good hand held light (Malkoff module in a P6 body) and practice with it to make sure the polymer frame is not affected by the light.. if it is go with the hand held

stay with factory magazines, without extended pad unless you need one for hand purchase (I use a Pearce +1 for my G43)
carry at least one spare mag with the light on off side kydex pouch
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:57:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
I don’t get it, did you not say you backed into an M&P 5”? I would employ your plan or whatever other folks have recommended to that pistol. Separate yourself from gd for a moment and absorb some meaningful info in this thread. A 5” 17+1 striker fired pistol is a rock solid foundation for whatever aspirations you might have.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 8:27:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I don’t get it, did you not say you backed into an M&P 5”? I would employ your plan or whatever other folks have recommended to that pistol. Separate yourself from gd for a moment and absorb some meaningful info in this thread. A 5” 17+1 striker fired pistol is a rock solid foundation for whatever aspirations you might have.
View Quote
@Schroderson the answer on this forum always seems to be Glock 19 and 9mm>45, but maybe that's because I spend too much time in GD? I figured more posters would have suggestions on what to do/add to my M&P instead of telling me to stick with a single stack. I'm content to just add a light and a holster to the M&P and keep it as a truck gun or something or I could always try and sell it off to help pay for a railed 1911. that's something I don't have at the moment...
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 8:33:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

@Schroderson the answer on this forum always seems to be Glock 19 and 9mm>45, but maybe that's because I spend too much time in GD? I figured more posters would have suggestions on what to do/add to my M&P instead of telling me to stick with a single stack. I'm content to just add a light and a holster to the M&P and keep it as a truck gun or something or I could always try and sell it off to help pay for a railed 1911. that's something I don't have at the moment...
View Quote
If you want the ultimate in shootability, put a comp, flared mag well, RDS, and lots of rounds through it.  You will give up the ability to shoot in some positions from a draw due to some of the blast being directed upwards, but you will gain longer range accuracy and speed of shots.

You will also have a harder time finding a holster, and it will be more uncomfortable to carry with the essentially longer barrel.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 11:35:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Understood, my prior suggestions were directed towards the outfitting of your M&P. I have a lot of time behind that platform and am confident it will accommodate your plan. Your 1911 is a great gun as well but has its limitations as you alluded to. Cheers
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 11:42:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Was a high end 1911 guy, even when Tupperware pistols came out. Finally got a G-21 and tried to kill it. Decades later Imstill like Glock, but M&P fit well. I carry a 9 Pro daily. Always full-size for me. More rounds are better.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 1:48:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
For sure add a light and sights you like.  Everything else you want to modify can be determined as you shoot it.  BravoConcealment offers good holsters with lights attached.  Glock is a catch all phrase like Kleenex, Xerox, or Coke lots of good options that are comparable size, capacity, and reliability.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 2:39:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are projecting your so-called "back to the real world" so you could gainsay my advice and avoid properly answering the OP's question.

--> The OP's question has to do with bug out, zombie, obviously a civil breakdown scenario, <-- not your bad day at the mall "wet dream fantasy".  Nobody goes to a movie theater during civil unrest or a disaster, so put your "wet dream fantasies" to rest, and focus on the question.

If you don't like the given parameters of the OP's question, or can't answer the question without attacking others advice, just skip the discussion.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 3:07:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
You are projecting your so-called "back to the real world" so you could gainsay my advice and avoid properly answering the OP's question.

--> The OP's question has to do with bug out, zombie, obviously a civil breakdown scenario, <-- not your bad day at the mall "wet dream fantasy".  Nobody goes to a movie theater during civil unrest or a disaster, so put your "wet dream fantasies" to rest, and focus on the question.

If you don't like the given parameters of the OP's question, or can't answer the question without attacking others advice, just skip the discussion.  
View Quote
Not projecting anything....  real world if civil unrest has began you are not going to be without your rifle it will be your primary and if you have moved to pistol your day is already going badly.  Realistically the chances of all this is very low look at Harvey no one was running around having battles for city blocks and no one was going building to building clearing them with their rifle.  Realistically a defensive shoot it far more probable even then it is extremely low that it will happen to one of us.  Couple that with the likelihood it will result in getting back to your rifle you have a better chance of getting struck by lightning while getting attacked by a shark.

I live in the real world now and here in America we are really safe.  It is not Fallujah!  Read my later comments I have addressed the OPs questions several times.  Zombie apocalypse is just a fantasy, red dawn is probably an even more far fetched fantasy of Z-day, and disasters are the most likely even then we are still pretty safe.  More Americans are good than bad and we look out for each other contrary to the MSM.  If civil unrest does happen OP should focus on body armor, ammo, mags for rifle and not pistol if you resort to your pistol in that scenario you are probably in a shit situation.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 7:39:18 PM EDT
[#25]
you might consider adding a trauma + additional ammunition bag (first responder bag?)... I use a small sling bag with limited trauma supplies in one pouch and in a more open side, an additional 30 round AR mag, extra G17 mag, extra G43 mag and SufreFire 6P that has been upgraded with a Malkoff bulb module
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 9:04:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
you might consider adding a trauma + additional ammunition bag (first responder bag?)... I use a small sling bag with limited trauma supplies in one pouch and in a more open side, an additional 30 round AR mag, extra G17 mag, extra G43 mag and SufreFire 6P that has been upgraded with a Malkoff bulb module
View Quote
Tourniquets and wound packing is what my paramedic buddy tells me to concentrate on for first aid.  Stop bleed or plug the leak till first responder can arrive or you can get the person to medical facility.  Most other stuff is nice but if weight and space is concern.  I carry 2 tourniquets in my go bag and 2 in my work bag with 2 in the truck.  I have packing gauze, epipen, and misc nicessaities generic bandaid, vitamin M/allergy pills/anti diarrhea.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 9:31:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We also got along with sticks and rocks as defensive tools for a long time.

OP, if it is not good enough for self defense in some situations then what makes it adequate for every day carry? I don’t really care what you carry but beware the trap of “training” with a Surefire equipped full size pistol in an OWB holster and then carrying a totally different pistol for everyday carry.

In my, probably unpopular, opinion you should pick one pistol and stick with it. Go shoot IDPA with your Shield if that’s what you choose. You’re set on a 1911? That’s fine, USPSA has Single Stack. The 2.0 Compact would be fine in USPSA production. Pick a gun you feel comfortable using to defend yourself and go shoot. While a full size pistol would always be preferable I promise you that hours on the range will make more difference than an inch of sight radius or a few more rounds of 9mm in your mag. IMO a light is required, the little TLRs would be a little better than nothing but I really like the Surefire X300U.

Also, G19 FTW.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 11:28:22 PM EDT
[#28]
I've posted this before, but here goes... my first "tactical" 3 gun match was Kyle Lamb's North Carolina match in 1995... one of the guys on the squad was a deputy from Tennessee.. he shot the entire match with his duty rig... Glock in a retention holster, 870 with sling, and AR with sling... he loaded out of a home made "first responder" bag made from a Blackhawk shot shell pouch to which he had sewn a double AR mag pouch and a double pistol mag pouch...l his long gun reloads were from the bag, carried over his shoulder with a strap that held a Blackhawk medic pouch (didn't see the contents).... but what caught my attention were his lights... Surefires on all of them, when they were pretty much the only game in town, and pretty expensive...when asked about the lights, he commented "when the sun goes down, it gets pretty dark in the holler"  I invited him to move to Florida, as we could use someone like him at the local SO...
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 7:27:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
pretty solid on medical and other gear. This thread was my idea for a pistol and specifically what would be done to it to make it the best shooter for the situations outlined. it's taken quite a turn...
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 7:30:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

We also got along with sticks and rocks as defensive tools for a long time.

OP, if it is not good enough for self defense in some situations then what makes it adequate for every day carry? I don’t really care what you carry but beware the trap of “training” with a Surefire equipped full size pistol in an OWB holster and then carrying a totally different pistol for everyday carry.

In my, probably unpopular, opinion you should pick one pistol and stick with it. Go shoot IDPA with your Shield if that’s what you choose. You’re set on a 1911? That’s fine, USPSA has Single Stack. The 2.0 Compact would be fine in USPSA production. Pick a gun you feel comfortable using to defend yourself and go shoot. While a full size pistol would always be preferable I promise you that hours on the range will make more difference than an inch of sight radius or a few more rounds of 9mm in your mag. IMO a light is required, the little TLRs would be a little better than nothing but I really like the Surefire X300U.

Also, G19 FTW.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/172095/24E3FBD2-ABD1-45DE-81FD-130C59E7296B_jpeg-764434.JPG
View Quote
@King_Mud thanks, I agree training and practice are most likely the biggest components as well. I have years and years of both at this point, but since I don't shoot sanctioned matches anymore I don't have to stay within an one rule set. that's part of the reason I'm looking here to see what (if anything) I should do to help.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 9:12:16 AM EDT
[#31]
In on the fun.

Did you get the M&P yet?

My normal edc is a Springfield loaded. My normal competition, woods gun, classes, etc in a MC Operator with surefire x300u. Both have the same sights mag release, trigger, etc.

I don't mind using a handheld light for EDC but a wml is more efficient.

10rd mags of gold dots or hsts in a tyr tactical belt and safariland ALS holster.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

But I can still carry it aiwb with either a light or sans.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 5:58:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
In on the fun.

Did you get the M&P yet?

My normal edc is a Springfield loaded. My normal competition, woods gun, classes, etc in a MC Operator with surefire x300u. Both have the same sights mag release, trigger, etc.

10rd mags of gold dots or hsts in a tyr tactical belt and safariland ALS holster.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433221/Resized_20180714_180218_jpg-764877.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433221/KIMG0824_JPG-764878.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433221/IMG_20181012_204214_jpg-764879.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433221/KIMG0830_JPG-764880.JPG
View Quote
@03RN I'm surprised you didn't figure out a way to EDC that shockwave yet, I always see your posts on it! I edc a shield or Baer, but I dont' have any 1911s with a rail yet.

I did get the M&P but it was too good of a deal to pass up. Worst case is I can rip the Apex and sights out of it and put them in my 2.0c, and still probably keep the big full size.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 12:36:13 AM EDT
[#33]
If you google “Katrina pistol” You’ll see a couple of articles on shtfblog of a pretty good build.  I’ve got something very close to the Katrina pistol that’s my primary.  I went without the Reddot however and instead a light with a laser - Stream light tlr8.

personally think the pistol is the more important tool for shtf.  At least where I live it is -semi suburban/rural  A rifle just isn’t going to be carried outside of the immediate vicinity of a house or vehicle
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 7:02:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
@03RN I'm surprised you didn't figure out a way to EDC that shockwave yet, I always see your posts on it! I edc a shield or Baer, but I dont' have any 1911s with a rail yet.

I did get the M&P but it was too good of a deal to pass up. Worst case is I can rip the Apex and sights out of it and put them in my 2.0c, and still probably keep the big full size.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In on the fun.

Did you get the M&P yet?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433221/Resized_20180714_180218_jpg-764877.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433221/KIMG0824_JPG-764878.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433221/IMG_20181012_204214_jpg-764879.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433221/KIMG0830_JPG-764880.JPG

Nothing wrong with the m&p. Now that you have it you might as well try an rmr on it. Dueck defense makes a mount that incorporates buis in it. My wife has that setup on her g19 and it's a great little mount. Still works in all the kydex we have.

The shockwave has it's place. In my pants isn't one of them and that leather shoulder holster thing is a bit rich for my blood. It stays in a SAW barrel bag.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:15:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
We also got along with stick and stones for a while. Things change.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 10:48:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

We also got along with stick and stones for a while. Things change.
View Quote
Light also got smaller and brighter.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 8:00:39 AM EDT
[#37]
any feedback on the Olight PL2? I see they are going on sale here shortly and since I've had great luck with their smaller lights I figured I would give it a try.

Taking the M&P out to the range tomorrow to actually shoot it. It's been a few years since I have shot a 5" version as I've been more focused on 1911 training but hoping live fire sorts it out.

Also listed it for trade towards a railed 1911 so I can go that direction instead, because while I lack gun money and time I don't lack design ideas for guns I want to build
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 8:13:45 AM EDT
[#38]
The Roland Special has been fairly well worked out.  I am not saying you need to go with a GLOCK 19, but you may want to read through this thread to see how the various modifications work together.  https://www.ar15.com/forums/Handguns/Official-Roland-Special-Glock-Thread-Also-faux-land-Fo-land-Carry-Comps/13-167712/
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 10:44:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
any feedback on the Olight PL2? I see they are going on sale here shortly and since I've had great luck with their smaller lights I figured I would give it a try.

Taking the M&P out to the range tomorrow to actually shoot it. It's been a few years since I have shot a 5" version as I've been more focused on 1911 training but hoping live fire sorts it out.

Also listed it for trade towards a railed 1911 so I can go that direction instead, because while I lack gun money and time I don't lack design ideas for guns I want to build
View Quote
Stick with surefire check armsunlimited for the best deal I've found on the x300u
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 9:20:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Clearly.

What OP is looking into is not unreasonable to move to a modern higher capacity sidearm with the ability to attach a light.. I commend him for wanting to upgrade his capacity and effectiveness.  Many times you will find yourself in the dark even in the day time.  Under passes, parking garages, houses, movie theaters, and list goes on.  The ability to have both hands on a weapon and have a light is invaluable and the ability to have one hands free to hold loved ones hand/carry child/drag a buddy, have a weapon with a light, and be able to still fire a weapon with light tops any wet dream fantasy[.]
Sounds like the ideal 'battle belt/bug out/zombie pistol' is a 15+1 Gen4 Glock 19, with Inforce APL attached, and at least FIVE 15-rd mags in high-speed pouches on your belt..

Enough to make Mad Max drool ....
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 9:43:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Clearly.

Sounds like the ideal 'battle belt/bug out/zombie pistol' is a 15+1 Gen4 Glock 19, with Inforce APL attached, and at least FIVE 15-rd mags in high-speed pouches on your belt..

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Clearly.

What OP is looking into is not unreasonable to move to a modern higher capacity sidearm with the ability to attach a light.. I commend him for wanting to upgrade his capacity and effectiveness.  Many times you will find yourself in the dark even in the day time.  Under passes, parking garages, houses, movie theaters, and list goes on.  The ability to have both hands on a weapon and have a light is invaluable and the ability to have one hands free to hold loved ones hand/carry child/drag a buddy, have a weapon with a light, and be able to still fire a weapon with light tops any wet dream fantasy[.]

Don’t be silly. There’s no reason to use G19 mags as reloads, G17 mags will work in any 9mm Glock and hold two more rounds.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 11:02:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Don’t be silly. There’s no reason to use G19 mags as reloads, G17 mags will work in any 9mm Glock and hold two more rounds.
View Quote
You do not be silly.... G19x extended G17 mags, 24rd, or 33rd mags.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 2:59:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not for EDC but my wife has an adjustable specter chest rig that fits 6 33rd mags
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 3:06:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Not for EDC but my wife has an adjustable specter chest rig that fits 6 33rd mags
View Quote
I keep a 33rd mag in my work bag with 2x19rd G17ext mags.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 7:38:40 PM EDT
[#45]
got the chance to shoot it today, and while it ran well and shot to point of aim, it just didn't have any soul. Feels like a tool, but that may be a good thing. I have already ordered a threaded barrel so I can suppress it if I want to when the can gets here.

Thinking I may get some extended mags, a light, and a magwell. It is reassuring putting a half box of ammo in a single mag, so there's that. I feel like the magwell would help me get a solid grip. IDK, still have tempted to sell it and stick with what i already own.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 2:11:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

This. This is reality.

Buuuut ain't it fun coming up with excuses to build another gun haha

Sounds like to OP needs a Roland special, I don't indulge in those, or AR's buried with accessories but the Rolands are neat just the same

I would have said a nice commander length 1911 with a light and and maybe a red dot. Second choice a compact M&P Roland special, maybe even the new shorter one, was it 3.75"?

But since the OP now has a 5" M&P, ( I have the same) it's gonna either look like a duty gun or a gamer gun.
View Quote
Yup.  It may be romantic to pontificate your place on the hero spectrum.  But reality says....GTFO
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 2:25:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
People also got along without pasteurized dairy products and modern medicine for a long time.

As far as the OP:

High quality double stack 9mm, WML, good holster, med kit with TQ, multi-tool and call it a day.  Add a MDRS of budget allows.  Then? Train with your shit.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 2:27:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
People that don't actually shoot a lot love to suggest 1911's.

They fail with boring regularly in anything beyond relatively benign environments at moderate round counts.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 2:30:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
just a comment.. I shot a .45 1911 single stack and Para for about 25 years in USPSA (estimated 250,000 rounds on 4 pistols)....during that time I broke:

2 finger bushings before going to a solid one
1 solid bushing
1 barrel split from chamber to 3/8" from the muzzle
2 slide stops
1 firing pin stop
1 extractor
4 fitted barrel links

after the last link (2005 Ft Benning 3 gun match) I switched to a Glock platform.... since then zero breakage

I'd suggest... stay with the polymer frame 9mm... a set of figure 8 tritium sight ( I find it hard to distinguish front from rear 3 dot sights  at night)
good weapon light, and good hand held light (Malkoff module in a P6 body) and practice with it to make sure the polymer frame is not affected by the light.. if it is go with the hand held

stay with factory magazines, without extended pad unless you need one for hand purchase (I use a Pearce +1 for my G43)
carry at least one spare mag with the light on off side kydex pouch
View Quote
Yup.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 2:39:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah people say the same thing about cell phones. They are ubiquitous now.

Times change and it’s sometims for the better. Like lights on a handgun.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top