Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2020 8:46:53 PM EDT
Ok, so the last thread got archived, but I finally found a used USP40 fullsize. I bought it as an impulse, (I'm weak) and figure I'll build me a 10 mm.
I know a few of you guys have done it, and I need some guidance. Iirc, the "go to" magazine was for an STI 2011, with a little tweaking.
At the time of the last thread, there was no clear cut source for a new barrel, and I seem to remember that not too many smiths wanted to destroy a good reamer, on an HK barrel, I just don't remember the solution...
I'd post a pic, but A. you all know what it looks like, and B. THE GODDAMNED NICS COCKSUCKERS DELAYED ME AGAIN!

Guess I gotta get a UPIN.

@spartacus2002

Link Posted: 12/16/2020 10:23:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I think the fix was to buy an aftermarket .40 barrel that wasn’t so hard to ream. I think @mjohn3006 is the guy who has reamed many a .40SW barrel into 10mm? He may be able to advise on reaming it yourself.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 11:27:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 3:31:50 AM EDT
[#3]
There was a guy on HKPro who had a long running thread about converting his USP 40 to 10mm.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 6:48:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah I did it. Get a KKM.40 barrel. I used this to team it to 10mm: https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/barrel-tools/reamers/centerfire-reamers/pistol-chambering-reamers-prod17655.aspx

Para mag sticks out the bottom funny and you have to cut a notch for the mag catch and it’s tricky and you have to smooth out the notch or it messes up the mag catch on the gun.

Honestly, I did it. It works. But it was the least fun of the many conversions I’ve done. I shoot the gun in 10mm kurtz (.40s&w), mostly.

Link Posted: 12/18/2020 7:12:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah I did it. Get a KKM.40 barrel. I used this to team it to 10mm: https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/barrel-tools/reamers/centerfire-reamers/pistol-chambering-reamers-prod17655.aspx

Para mag sticks out the bottom funny and you have to cut a notch for the mag catch and it’s tricky and you have to smooth out the notch or it messes up the mag catch on the gun.

Honestly, I did it. It works. But it was the least fun of the many conversions I’ve done. I shoot the gun in 10mm kurtz (.40s&w), mostly.

View Quote

Well, I was able to pick it up today, so I had to pay panic price for 2 boxes of .40cal. (Just to check it out, used gun)
Came with 3 mags (1 is a 10 rounder) and a Safariland paddle holster. Holster is a soft kydex (?) Lined with leather maybe? Hybrid? I dunno.

Thanks, @mjohn3006. I looked at kkm and they dont offer anything for an HK . Which barrel am I looking for?
Also, I dont have access to a machine shop, how exactly are we talking about reaming this?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 8:41:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Well, I was able to pick it up today, so I had to pay panic price for 2 boxes of .40cal. (Just to check it out, used gun)
Came with 3 mags (1 is a 10 rounder) and a Safariland paddle holster. Holster is a soft kydex (?) Lined with leather maybe? Hybrid? I dunno.

Thanks, @mjohn3006. I looked at kkm and they dont offer anything for an HK . Which barrel am I looking for?
Also, I dont have access to a machine shop, how exactly are we talking about reaming this?
Thanks.
View Quote

Weird. I know my barrel is KKM. Pretty much any aftermarket non HK barrel should work. Put new barrel in and shoot it with .40(aka 10mm kurtz) to ensure function.

I put the barrel in a vice, I have a reamer handle and use metal cutting lube. Put a .40 in it and see where it sits. Spin the reamer by hand, cleaning out the shavings from time to time. Keep putting a 10mm round in and seeing how low it gets. Keep going until it sits where the .40 did. Then function check.

It sounds half ass I know. But I’ve converted several guns and they all work great.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:11:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Weird. I know my barrel is KKM. Pretty much any aftermarket non HK barrel should work. Put new barrel in and shoot it with .40(aka 10mm kurtz) to ensure function.

I put the barrel in a vice, I have a reamer handle and use metal cutting lube. Put a .40 in it and see where it sits. Spin the reamer by hand, cleaning out the shavings from time to time. Keep putting a 10mm round in and seeing how low it gets. Keep going until it sits where the .40 did. Then function check.

It sounds half ass I know. But I’ve converted several guns and they all work great.
View Quote

Got damn, son!
I love it!
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:14:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Got damn, son!
I love it!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got damn, son!
I love it!

Hell yeah. In case you don’t know what I’ve done
Ruger super red hawk to 10mm magnum
Taurus 405 to 10mm
S&W 4013 to 10mm
S&W 4053 to 10mm
S&W CS 40 to 10mm
AMT backup .40 to 10mm
USP to 10mm
Mauser M2 to 10mm
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 11:30:35 PM EDT
[#9]
You're a madman! You did all these by hand?
Not even a drill press?
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 12:27:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You're a madman! You did all these by hand?
Not even a drill press?
View Quote

Correct

The revolvers were the worst. Reaming all the chambers
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 10:42:09 PM EDT
[#11]
A usp 10mm?

A singularity opens.......
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 10:58:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I am just gonna throw this turd into the punchbowl:

1.  I have fired a USP45 with 45 super, which (at the same bullet weight) is mass x velocity identical to real 10mm from Buffalo Bore and/or underwood.

2.  I have fired a USP40 with hot 40SW ammo, which approaches real 10mm velocities.

3.  Neither was pleasant.  In fact, the 45 Super was punishing.

4.  While a 10mm USP sounds great on paper, real 10mm is best employed in a heavy, metal-framed pistol.

Link Posted: 12/29/2020 2:28:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I am just gonna throw this turd into the punchbowl:

1.  I have fired a USP45 with 45 super, which (at the same bullet weight) is mass x velocity identical to real 10mm from Buffalo Bore and/or underwood.

2.  I have fired a USP40 with hot 40SW ammo, which approaches real 10mm velocities.

3.  Neither was pleasant.  In fact, the 45 Super was punishing.

4.  While a 10mm USP sounds great on paper, real 10mm is best employed in a heavy, metal-framed pistol.

View Quote

I'm sure that's true. At the same time, I think a USP45C with .45 Super sounds like a great thing to carry around. Insert the cat reading the paper pic here.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 6:19:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm sure that's true. At the same time, I think a USP45C with .45 Super sounds like a great thing to carry around. Insert the cat reading the paper pic here.
View Quote

The USP45C isn't rated for the .45 Super like the full size gun is.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 6:38:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't think any of them were officially rated for .45 Super?
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top