Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2023 3:23:20 PM EDT
I figured I'd share an experience as a datapoint for everybody.

I bought a brand new Glock 23 in the middle of 2013, had the slide cut and installed an RMR. I ended up putting it in a wall safe in my closet.

Completely forgot about it until the other day when I needed to get my social security card. Dot on the RMR was as bright as one with a fresh battery.

I don't advocate for neglecting guns/optics like that, but it's nice to know that Trijicon had underrated the battery life.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 3:27:22 PM EDT
[#1]
You must’ve gotten a rare one. I’m lucky to get 6-8 months in any of the 3 RMRs I own.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 3:48:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got about a year and a half on mine, still bright.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 4:47:36 PM EDT
[#3]
The RMR on the Glock I recently sold was on for over 2 years. The RMRcc's currently on my two Glock 43X's have been on for over a year and a half.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 5:41:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I have two HRSs that were both on for about 26 months when I changed the batteries.  Still worked fine at that time.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 6:48:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You must’ve gotten a rare one. I’m lucky to get 6-8 months in any of the 3 RMRs I own.
View Quote

I don’t know how that’s possible . I change mine after two years just because but I’ve never had one go dim.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 7:35:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Using shit tier batteries will do that.

The adjustable RMR with the auto setting works really well to maximize battery life. The RMRCC auto setting is a little wonky but I still use it though I set the brightness manually when carrying. It reverts to auto after 16.5 hours and dims down. While a battery should be a manual maintenance item I suspect they could be pushed out a few years.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 8:46:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Using shit tier batteries will do that.

The adjustable RMR with the auto setting works really well to maximize battery life. The RMRCC auto setting is a little wonky but I still use it though I set the brightness manually when carrying. It reverts to auto after 16.5 hours and dims down. While a battery should be a manual maintenance item I suspect they could be pushed out a few years.
View Quote
Yep. For lithium 2032s in weapon sights I only trust Duracell, or Energizer if I can't get Duracell. My RM06 has gone several months past 2 years before I finally changed it. It was still just as bright.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 9:05:14 PM EDT
[#8]
All of my batteries were new Energizer batteries and two of the three RMRs are the auto brightness ones. Just checked the one on my shotgun that I know I replaced in July 2022 and it is dead.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 4:55:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
All of my batteries were new Energizer batteries and two of the three RMRs are the auto brightness ones. Just checked the one on my shotgun that I know I replaced in July 2022 and it is dead.
View Quote
I would recommend that you don't bother playing the lottery.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 9:29:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Something is definitely wrong here.  Where are you buying batteries?

Either you're getting out of date/counterfeit batteries, you're maxing brightness, or you're the unlickiest person in the world with defective RMRs.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 6:32:39 PM EDT
[#11]
What kind of battery, OP?
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 6:42:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Im assuming OP likely had his RMR turned all the way down while stored, essentially OFF...?
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 7:59:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Im assuming OP likely had his RMR turned all the way down while stored, essentially OFF...?
View Quote

An auto adjusting model would turn itself down while locked up in a dark safe.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 9:23:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Sage Dynamics white paper covers batteries, I'll sum it up: Use only Duracell.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 10:57:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well there you go. Duracell is number 1. I've had good luck with Japanese Maxell CR2032's as well. Energizer CR2032's are as bad as the no name China batteries.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 11:31:10 PM EDT
[#16]
That is interesting. I’ll have to buy a pack of Duracells and see how they do.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 8:30:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Doesn't trijicon ship RMRs with energizer batteries?
I'm running energizer and have no issues.

Strange Duracell 2032s get good marks while their AAs are trash.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 8:40:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Doesn't trijicon ship RMRs with energizer batteries?
I'm running energizer and have no issues.

Strange Duracell 2032s get good marks while their AAs are trash.
View Quote

Yes my RMRCC shipped with an Energizer battery, my spares are Duracell
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 10:33:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Ive been using Duracells and Energizers since 2011 and havent seen a difference.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 2:05:05 PM EDT
[#20]
I've had some issues with Duracell CR1620's in my 3 EPS Carry's. Fully charged battery they just start blinking after a few days. Pulled the batteries and they're all over 3 volts. IDK. I put the Panasonics back in and it's fine. I ordered some Energizers to try.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 12:54:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've had some issues with Duracell CR1620's in my 3 EPS Carry's. Fully charged battery they just start blinking after a few days. Pulled the batteries and they're all over 3 volts. IDK. I put the Panasonics back in and it's fine. I ordered some Energizers to try.
View Quote

I switched to all Duracell's from the advice of a few members here, and a few well known pistol RDS instructors, who all said to never use Energizers, and I had nothing but problems with the Duracells in my Holosun's and also a leupold 1-6x.

Went back to Energizers and all those issues went away

Link Posted: 5/18/2023 10:22:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

All of mine have been going on years.

Interesting.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 7:12:56 PM EDT
[#24]
I get about a year and 4 months before they start dimming from every day use at one click below max brightness.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top