Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2019 1:17:06 PM EDT
My two primary carry guns are both factory stock.  The first is a Springfield range officer compact and the second is a browning high power. I have removed the mag safety from the browning. Improving the trigger sharply. Both weapons have aspects I dislike about the trigger pulls. Both are a bit heavier than I prefer and have a significant amount of creep.

I’ve been considering my options and hoped to get opinions. 1) is find a reliable local gunsmith and let them deal with fixing the triggers. The plus side is this makes it someone else’s issue, I just drop them off and pick up a finished product.  Problem is my experience with local gunsmiths hasn’t been positive.  Sloppy work and a reluctance to admit mistakes.  2) go with a ‘name’ gunsmith. Pro is high confidence in quality work. Negative is wait time. Cylinder and slide states a several month wait time and high cost. 3) buy a matched hammer/sear set from C&S and install myself. Pro is no special tools to buy and it’s a matched package so ‘ should’ play well together. Negative is I have no experience with their stuff and I’ll likely have to refit the thumb safety’s. I’ve done 1911’style safeties before so the work doesn’t scare me. I potientially may need to buy a new safety or two but I’d still come out cheaper. 4) buy the jigs and rework the sears/hammers myself. Pros are that I likely wouldn’t need new safeties, negatives are that they jigs are pricey,
I already have the appropriate ceramic stones.  I’m also not sure that the Springfield doesn’t use MIM parts.

I’d value anyone’s experience or perspectives.  As well as recommendations on appropriate jigs. Thus far the marvel appears the most versatile. Thoughts on that or the ‘true radius’ sear jig?
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 2:49:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I would buy C&S parts for the high power, and the equivalent for the 1911.. Install the new stuff, resell, or reinstall old stuff in other guns needing upgraded also. Rinse and repeat..

Edit, my trigger work has been unsatisfactory, I'd be better at pissing up a rope..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top